Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Serenade posted:

I can’t play splatoon on that

:wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpW0O7euXx8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Every time I leave a room I have to flick the lights on and off 6 times so my wife doesn't die, who the gently caress designed this light switch??

Nintendo

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Huawei make awesome phones but I don't think anything priced at $1000 is going to rival the Switch.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

GreatGreen posted:

Well if there’s one thing Japanese workers are known for, it is challenging their bosses and directors by telling them what they should or should not have done, and that therefore they are wrong about something.

I know this is in jest, but since the failure of the wiiu, this is exactly what nintendo is doing. They started the garage initiative (splatoon, arms)which allowed the younger ones to step up. And for Zelda, they allowed new young programmers on who literally told them they were programming inefficiently so they changed how they were working. The game is incredibly thought out, even down to a 2d working physics mock up of the entire world to make sure the game didn't break. User error is unfortunately still a thing in a game with so much freedom.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 17, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Silver Falcon posted:

Um... yeah I think you might have some brain problems if that ruins the game for you. Like what the gently caress dude? It's such a minor thing. I use the Master Sword primarily to hit rocks anyway so that's whatever. The ability generating thing? Once you do the Champion's Ballad, they regenerate so fast that you can pretty much just use them willy nilly. Even if you don't have that, just go find a cliff to jump up or some monster to fry with that last charge?

It's just such a non problem. Letting it ruin the game for you is just. :psyduck:

I think I was so put off by the idea initially that I just kind of stopped playing the game and never really found out if it gets better from there or is negated by some other aspect of the game.

As for the master sword thing, well, it’s the master sword. I’ll admit it is totally my hangup that I think Link should always have it available, or at least available more. But can you at least agree it’s kind of lovely that the master sword has been pushed down to being a rock smasher for most people primarily because the loss of its reliability due to the player never knowing when it’s going to break?

It just makes sense to me that once you get the master sword, you really should be able to just... play the whole game with it and change weapons just for fun or variety. Or at the very least, you should always have it available provided you don’t overuse it.

I wouldn’t even mind if it had much lower durability, but always reset once combat ended. gently caress, anything other than what we’ve got now, really.

Either way, I think the way the master sword breaks after X hits, no matter what, then you have to wait 10 minutes to use it again, is basically the worst possible way they could have implemented it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 17, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Every time I leave a room I have to flick the lights on and off 6 times so my wife doesn't die, who the gently caress designed this light switch??

Shigesato Itoi

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Frankston posted:

Huawei make awesome phones but I don't think anything priced at $1000 is going to rival the Switch.

especially if it doesn't have euro controls

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Forget that- who the gently caress designed your wife?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Mr. Locke posted:

Forget that- who the gently caress designed your wife?

Andrast posted:

Nintendo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
BotW is perfect except there's no jiggle physics for Link's balls. 0/10 and I want to be boiled alive and consumed by the French.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

GreatGreen posted:

I think I was so put off by the idea initially that I just kind of stopped playing the game and never really found out if it gets better from there or is negated by some other aspect of the game.

As for the master sword thing, well, it’s the master sword. I’ll admit it is totally my hangup that I think Link should always have it available, or at least available more. But can you at least agree it’s kind of lovely that the master sword has been pushed down to being a rock smasher for most people primarily because the loss of its reliability due to the player never knowing when it’s going to break?

It just makes sense to me that once you get the master sword, you really should be able to just... play the whole game with it and change weapons just for fun or variety. Or at the very least, you should always have it available provided you don’t overuse it.

I wouldn’t even mind if it had much lower durability, but always reset once combat ended. gently caress, anything other than what we’ve got now, really.

Either way, I think the way the master sword breaks after X hits, no matter what, then you have to wait 10 minutes to use it again, is basically the worst possible way they could have implemented it.

It's a rock smasher because it has lovely stats. You can find better swords just lying on the ground all over the place

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

It's really not that big a deal. Besides guardians there's not really much the master sword is necessarily better at killing, and you have at least 3 other ways of attacking them that nullifies any real advantage the master sword has. I just tend to let it break and recharge as I fight and use that as an excuse to use the other weapons I have. I personally don't care for weapon durability, but the system works fine.

Thinking about guardians, I really hate that I'll never forget how to cheese them... Not knowing was amazing because they were legit threats, and when I beat my first one by just bashing it to death I was pretty proud, even though I pretty much ran out of weapons.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Master Sword is high fashion and has a very cool sheath so that alone is worth wearing it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only design decision I hate is those lovely nuisance ninjas interrupting you every five minutes if you are anywhere near a road.

Ok yeah, I killed your stupid boss. I'll kill you too but I'd rather not waste my time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you're using the Master Sword on enemies more than on trees you're playing wrong.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

If you're using the Master Sword on enemies more than on trees you're playing wrong.

bombs are for trees

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Al Borland Corpse posted:

anywhere near a road.

Okay now I think people itt are just intentionally playing botw wrong

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RandomFerret posted:

Okay now I think people itt are just intentionally playing botw wrong

Some of the best stuff is near the roads

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

BotW is perfect except there's no jiggle physics for Link's balls. 0/10 and I want to be boiled alive and consumed by the French.

They needed to save all the jiggle physics for Xenoblade 2.

No, seriously, I was using Vale recently (the goth gf blade) and there's like a 3 second delay between her last step and her last jiggle

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All this botw talk is making me want to play it again

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Heath posted:

The Master Sword is high fashion and has a very cool sheath so that alone is worth wearing it

THANK YOU!

Seriously though, thanks for the replies everybody. Maybe I was just looking at the game a bit sideways. I always try to just enjoy games for what they are, but with a series like Zelda that’s so entrenched in history and player expectations, it’s harder to do that.

Maybe the game has changed for the better with the DLC. If it ever goes on sale I might check it out and see how much farther I can get with the game.

edit: But yeah the master sword is definitely a high fashion item and I do wish it had better stats.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I use the Master Sword, and I follow roads.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

I use the Master Sword, and I follow roads.

I didn't follow the roads and I missed out on a lot of cool stuff

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I mostly just used the master sword on scrub stuff or for walker guardians. I'd rather use any two hander, usually

edit: Slant Magazine gave Starlink a 30. Probably would have enjoyed it more if he turned on his monitor (didn't click, obvious clickbait)

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 17, 2018

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I want to thank the people who recommended Mark of the Ninja in this thread, it probably would have flown completely under my radar otherwise and holy gently caress is this game fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Handsome Wife posted:

I want to thank the people who recommended Mark of the Ninja in this thread, it probably would have flown completely under my radar otherwise and holy gently caress is this game fun.

Its a good game but its kind of absurd they gave me a free copy of the remaster because I bought it like a decade ago.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Can you play entirety of Starlink as Fox and just treat it as a new Star Fox game?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's 4 to 5 hours of Star Fox content in it, so really it's more like TWO new Star Fox games

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

RandomFerret posted:

There's 4 to 5 hours of Star Fox content in it, so really it's more like TWO new Star Fox games

Huh? I thought you could play the whole game as him.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GreatGreen posted:

THANK YOU!

Seriously though, thanks for the replies everybody. Maybe I was just looking at the game a bit sideways. I always try to just enjoy games for what they are, but with a series like Zelda that’s so entrenched in history and player expectations, it’s harder to do that.

Maybe the game has changed for the better with the DLC. If it ever goes on sale I might check it out and see how much farther I can get with the game.

edit: But yeah the master sword is definitely a high fashion item and I do wish it had better stats.

Oh yeah, actually if you like the Master Sword that much, do pick up the DLC. The first set of DLC, you do a challenge, and the prize is a buff for the Master Sword. You know that glowy, powered up state the sword goes into when it's around corrupted Guardians? (Spoiled just in case...) Do the Trial of the Sword, and it's in that state permanently. It doubles the swords power and greatly increases its durability. The second pack has some really great stuff in it. Among the prizes you get are much faster cooldown for all the Champion abilities.

I think it would address many of your concerns. Sorry you bounced off the game. I absolutely adored Breath of the Wild. I haven't felt that sense of pure childlike glee while playing a game since I was... well a child, and it honestly makes me sad to see folks who didn't enjoy it as much as I did. :(

In happier news, MY SWITCH IS BACK! UPS delivered it right on time. I've got it on the dock to charge. NOW I CAN BEAT UP MONSTERS AS A CAT AGAIN! EEEEE!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Over There posted:

You can

Hes talking about the Switch/Fox only additional missions

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You can

Hes talking about the Switch/Fox only additional missions

Oh cool, than that's even better

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Over There posted:

No, you can, I just wanted to dunk on Star Fox games for being short.

The 4 hours is the stuff that's exclusive to star fox

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

RandomFerret posted:

No, you can, I just wanted to dunk on Star Fox games for being short.

The 4 hours is the stuff that's exclusive to star fox

Its ok I thought it was funny

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just beat my first Dreadnought and the entire rest of the game flashed before my eyes as i turned off my switch. i'm def gonna finish the game but it's going to be repetitive. can confirm it's an overall grindy ubisoft gameplay loop, but it's still a massive world Chill Star Fox so i get the mixed-positive reviews

haven't done much of the Wolf quest yet but i like what i've seen of it and how it can break up the cycle of the main game

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

conventionalcat posted:

i just beat my first Dreadnought and the entire rest of the game flashed before my eyes as i turned off my switch. i'm def gonna finish the game but it's going to be repetitive. can confirm it's an overall grindy ubisoft gameplay loop, but it's still a massive world Chill Star Fox so i get the mixed-positive reviews

haven't done much of the Wolf quest yet but i like what i've seen of it and how it can break up the cycle of the main game

The trick is to mix up your builds every now and again and not to play for too long in any single session. I think it's a really fun game, but it's also the kind that you can get burned out on if you overdo it. Trading in Kirby for it was a strong call, and I don't think I'm gonna end up regretting it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Starting to see the "busy work" review language from goons after the initial rush. Hmmm. Might wait for a sale. Kingdom rabbids hit sales relatively soon.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Silver Falcon posted:

Once you do the Champion's Ballad, they regenerate so fast that you can pretty much just use them willy nilly. Even if you don't have that, just go find a cliff to jump up or some monster to fry with that last charge?

It's just such a non problem. Letting it ruin the game for you is just. :psyduck:

I agree that it's a non problem... but I was done with this game when I finished the Championship Ballad. I unlocked the motorcycle and rode it around for 30 minutes, then I haven't touched the game since.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Handsome Wife posted:

it's even better the second time in newgame+ when you have the tools to earn the various ninja styles and have more going against you in terms of sight/sound range and less room for fuckups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Starting to see the "busy work" review language from goons after the initial rush. Hmmm. Might wait for a sale. Kingdom rabbids hit sales relatively soon.

I mean I knew what I was getting into. I enjoy the flying and shooting a lot, making different combinations is cool, and everything in the game is geared toward getting you to do more of that. If you like spaceships, and flying around shooting at stuff, you'll probably like it. If that isn't your thing you'll still probably like it, but you'll probably get bored before you're through with everything.