Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think noncompetes are problematic at best even when applied exactly as intended.

California has for practical purposes completely banned them and that's part of what enables Silicon Valley startups to exist.

Edit: tax

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i can't wait to see what else comes of this this story - 24,000 financial documents over more than a year, all focused on Trump-Russia, is the first time any whistleblower has shown up during this presidency on a scale that could be remembered alongside Ellsberg/Manning/Snowden

she's absolutely hosed, of course, but I'm sure she knew that

here's a VERY recent example of her work:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1052604364970479616

(my money is on Jason Leopold as her connection)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tim Raines IRL posted:

ftfy

there's no way a parent that's not regressive scum would let their child out their door looking like that, let alone defend it in print as "lol hurt your feels"

people who aren't racists learn about hitler and how he was a bad man

"you know what's really scary? hitler!" is pretty on tone for a nerdy edgy tween but i guess we can demonize this parent for being dumb if we dont have enough nitpicky poo poo to complain about or clickbait to inflate

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Why did the kid have a Hitler haircut in the first place

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

luxury handset posted:

"you know what's really scary? hitler!" is pretty on tone for a nerdy edgy tween but i guess we can demonize this parent for being dumb if we dont have enough nitpicky poo poo to complain about or clickbait to inflate

Boys will be boysracist little shits, amirite?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Last minute costume....yeah, let's dress up like Hitler. Who the gently caress are these retards and how did they figure out how to have kids?
Well gee, I seem to need a costume. Ah, I'll use this white sheet, and make it pointy here, and write my initials on it so everyone knows I'm Keith Klein Kramer.

quote:

Brian Scott, a fellow teacher at Cortney Junior High, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Arsanian is one of the best teachers he’s worked with.

“As soon as I looked at that, I thought, ‘It’s a kid in a Halloween costume. Why are you going after his mother and her job? Because you don’t like the Halloween costume?’” he said.

While he understands that people believe the costume was in poor taste, he made it clear that he believes Arsanian and her son are not Nazi sympathizers. “People dress up like the devil and witches and vampires and things like that all the time,” he said. “Evil things.

Remind me when fictional characters like the devil, witches and vampires executed 6 million people and kicked off a war that took another 80 million and turned a continent into an endless stretch of destruction in reality.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 17, 2018

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

That kid just stumbled on 2006-era FYAD

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lambert posted:

The non-compete was signed after the other company took over the existing contracts, the employee likely didn't know what she signed. Also, poaching is a good thing and means companies have to offer better working conditions to keep their personell. Capitalism shouldn't just benefit corporations. Non-competes should be illegal everywhere.

Seriously. As someone who works in IT support, how realistic is it that I don't leave one VAR for another VAR? I mean, THAT'S MY FIELD, THE THING I KNOW HOW TO DO FOR MONEY. Non-competes are stupid bullshit.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1052605243199029249

looked at a couple others and Leopold is the common name on all of them

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

goethe.cx posted:

That kid just stumbled on 2006-era FYAD

no, the only conclusion is that the child is a racist

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Last minute costume....yeah, let's dress up like Hitler. Who the gently caress are these retards and how did they figure out how to have kids?
Well gee, I seem to need a costume. Ah, I'll use this white sheet, and make it pointy here, and write my initials on it so everyone knows I'm Keith Klein Kramer.

Lol my mom refused to buy Halloween Costumes and would make them for my brother and I. One year my brother was going to be a ghost so my mom sewed him a costume out of some sheets and...well the head was a bit pointy so it quickly became a knights tabard. 8 year old me borrowed her lab coat and went as Dr. Kevorkian because I was dumb and Dr. Death sounded scary and cool. Little did I know that this was the gateway to me supporting legalizing assisted euthanasia...

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 17, 2018

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
lol at anyone believing that kid’s costume could be last minute

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

non-compete agreements are basically indentured servitude contracts and they along with everything else trying to create modern-day serfdom should be banned.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So that family just happened to have a Swastika armband lying around for a last second costume?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Thats the excuse you use when they're sheet ghost costume looks suspiciously like a klan hood, not for a loving nazi uniform

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So that family just happened to have a Swastika armband lying around for a last second costume?

well, it does take multiple hours to put a craft paper armband on a leather jacket. this is why the nazis had such a hard time replacing their losses in russia

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VH4Ever posted:

Seriously. As someone who works in IT support, how realistic is it that I don't leave one VAR for another VAR? I mean, THAT'S MY FIELD, THE THING I KNOW HOW TO DO FOR MONEY. Non-competes are stupid bullshit.

My wife switched jobs once and her previous "employer" said in a bummed out way that they normally would have had her sign a non-compete but somehow didn't include the form. I say "employer" because my wife was an independent contractor.

Non-competes should be straight up illegal. Likewise for arbitration requirements in employment contracts.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

What is that person behind him dressed as? I'm worried it's "terrorist", since he has a turban.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Shifty Pony posted:

My wife switched jobs once and her previous "employer" said in a bummed out way that they normally would have had her sign a non-compete but somehow didn't include the form. I say "employer" because my wife was an independent contractor.

Non-competes should be straight up illegal. Likewise for arbitration requirements in employment contracts.

They are illegal in sane states like California

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

SocketWrench posted:

Last minute costume....yeah, let's dress up like Hitler.
When you have to put together a costume at the last minute, you have no choice but to use whatever you happened to have on-hand already.

In this case, I presume they had some Nazi outfit parts just laying around from some other non-Halloween event, and the only tricky part was gluing on the moustache.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

also clauses that state the company owns any ip you make regardless of whether it was on company time/equipment.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

luxury handset posted:

seems like the kind of poo poo a nerdy twelve year old boy would do

Even in the best case and the kid's intentions were entirely pure that's what parents are for. Your kid comes out of his room dressed up as Hitler you send him back to his loving room to change unless you're a piece of poo poo.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

moostaffa posted:

https://twitter.com/NYTMetro/status/1052590579148906496

Oh look, we have these funny little fascists around our town. I wonder what these chaps might be up to.

The comments on that post are pretty good and I agree. Stop writing puff pieces, call them fascists, and make sure that their views are clearly and firmly stated to be repugnant. Don't skirt around it, don't comfort 'like-minded' folks. Call them poo poo.

I honestly don't understand why people are so loving hung up on this.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RandomBlue posted:

Even in the best case and the kid's intentions were entirely pure that's what parents are for. Your kid comes out of his room dressed up as Hitler you send him back to his loving room to change unless you're a piece of poo poo.

you and i agree that the parents were dumb for letting their kid out of the house dressed as hitler

my contention here is that goons who expect tweens to not be stupid from time to time probably have weird expectations of children and their behavior

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Blorb bad.

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1052608100300189696

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

axeil posted:

also clauses that state the company owns any ip you make regardless of whether it was on company time/equipment.

Shifty Pony posted:

I got into an argument with a dumb person that was saying these things exist because people are so sue-happy and it would hurt the economy if companies could be sued so easily. No you dumbfuck, it means that companies actually have to create an environment where employees want to work or face consequences. That means they have an incentive to create a safe working environment with competitive wages and benefits. The legal action is the guillotine blade that keeps these greed-weasels in line.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm okay with non-compete agreements, so long as companies are required to provide a guaranteed salary continuance and benefits for the duration of the non-compete period, plus a generous penalty for career inconvenience.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CuddleCryptid posted:

The gently caress? Is he going to be sharing secret mopping techniques with the competition?

Pretty much.

They were a "Janitorial Supervisor" who was in charge of maintenance at a real estate company. The non-compete was to prevent them from going to another real estate company while working at her current job because she had keys to all of their rooms, knowledge of maintenance issues they had in their units, what types of materials the builders used, who they ordered materials from, and how much money the company spends on maintenance.

She left her current job for a job at a rival real estate company and her contract stated that she had to wait at least 1 year before working for a competitor. She could leave for a job with a non-competitor whenever she wanted.

It's a little flimsy, but it wasn't just "a janitor."

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

friendbot2000 posted:

I got into an argument with a dumb person that was saying these things exist because people are so sue-happy and it would hurt the economy if companies could be sued so easily. No you dumbfuck, it means that companies actually have to create an environment where employees want to work or face consequences. That means they have an incentive to create a safe working environment with competitive wages and benefits. The legal action is the guillotine blade that keeps these greed-weasels in line.

And having highly trained individuals sitting around on their asses unable to use their training doesn't hurt the economy because....

People are so loving bad at economics (including a huge portion of American economists).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pretty much.

They were a "Janitorial Supervisor" who was in charge of maintenance at a real estate company. The non-compete was to prevent them from going to another real estate company while working at her current job because she had keys to all of their rooms, knowledge of maintenance issues they had in their units, what types of materials the builders used, who they ordered materials from, and how much money the company spends on maintenance.

She left her current job for a job at a rival real estate company and her contract stated that she had to wait at least 1 year before working for a competitor. She could leave for a job with a non-competitor whenever she wanted.

It's a little flimsy, but it wasn't just "a janitor."

You're a disgrace to your username.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Stickman posted:

I'm okay with non-compete agreements, so long as companies are required to provide a guaranteed salary continuance and benefits for the duration of the non-compete period, plus a generous penalty for career inconvenience.

On paper this might look good, but an outright ban is not as easy to circumvent and skirt. I think what you are proposing would leak like a sieve with loopholes in reality because of the ghouls that write our laws and lobbying. That is how "bread and circuses" laws pass, they look great on paper, but in fact are designed in a way to allow companies or rich people to circumvent them through clever accounting/lawyering. In short, never trust a rich person because they are conmen and are always out to gently caress you.

Stickman posted:

And having highly trained individuals sitting around on their asses unable to use their training doesn't hurt the economy because....

People are so loving bad at economics (including a huge portion of American economists).

Pretty much. Losing people to better offers incentivizes companies to improve wages and invest in their employees. Making it so people can't leave is serfdom and needs to stop because it leads to abuse.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 17, 2018

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

eke out posted:

i can't wait to see what else comes of this this story - 24,000 financial documents over more than a year, all focused on Trump-Russia, is the first time any whistleblower has shown up during this presidency on a scale that could be remembered alongside Ellsberg/Manning/Snowden

she's absolutely hosed, of course, but I'm sure she knew that

here's a VERY recent example of her work:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1052604364970479616

The next President better pardon this person immediately after being sworn in.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

kidkissinger posted:

You're a disgrace to your username.

The non-compete wasn't even a condition of employment. She signed it for a $3,500 bonus and then left the company shortly after to go work for a competitor.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but saying it was "just a Janitor" is very misleading.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

friendbot2000 posted:

On paper this might look good, but an outright ban is not as easy to circumvent and skirt. What you are proposing would leak like a sieve with loopholes in reality because of the ghouls that write our laws and lobbying. That is how "bread and circuses" laws pass, they look great on paper, but in fact are designed in a way to allow companies or rich people to circumvent them through clever accounting/lawyering. In short, never trust a rich person because they are conmen and are always out to gently caress you.

I agree, it was mostly a (admittedly not so great) joke. Also, there's zero chance anything remotely like it would ever pass, whereas functional bans are already in the works!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing

take a stance you loving coward

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There's no defense for only coming out with the noncompete after they lost the contract, that's not preventing losing specialized mopping lore to a competitor, they already lost the contract to the competitor anyway, it was just a gently caress-you to a rival/their employees with no actual benefit to anyone.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The non-compete wasn't even a condition of employment. She signed it for a $3,500 bonus and then left the company shortly after to go work for a competitor.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but saying it was "just a Janitor" is very misleading.

It's almost like people will make irrational decisions for short term material gain and we shouldn't allow situations like this to happen at all.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Mods, please rename him Adam Smith 2012

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

On paper this might look good, but an outright ban is not as easy to circumvent and skirt. What you are proposing would leak like a sieve with loopholes in reality because of the ghouls that write our laws and lobbying. That is how "bread and circuses" laws pass, they look great on paper, but in fact are designed in a way to allow companies or rich people to circumvent them through clever accounting/lawyering. In short, never trust a rich person because they are conmen and are always out to gently caress you.

Nah this belief that laws can never do anything so we should just lie down and take it is crap, you should be very suspicious when someone tells you we just can't pass laws that inconvenience the rich it will never work don't try.

E: France has this law it works better than what we do here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

luxury handset posted:

Don't apologize for fascists.

• Locked thread