Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Mortgage rates in some EU countries are insanely low right now, which is just making housing bubbles bigger and bigger.

I'm paying 1,28% effective rate right now.

We’ve got a 30 year fixed at 2% + fees but that’s before taxes. I haven’t actually calculated our real rate but we’re paying something like a grand USD per month to borrow half a mill.

It’s nuts and most certainly fuels the bubble. We’re reasonably secured against an interest hike because we’re guaranteed our rate for thirty years OR we can refinance and shave off debt, but a lot of people on ARMs are potentially turbofucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
god house chat is terrifying. My girlfriend has got a serious boner for buying a house ASAP and I'm just following along behind with my barely-minimum-wage earnings. Sure I'd rather dump whatever money I have spare into her mortgage rather than some boomer slumlord. I just don't think she appreciates the costs that come with maintaining a house, particularly the older places she's looking at. It'd be awesome to have a garage and a bit of grass to put the bbq on but you just know every drat thing in the house is going to need replacing and be made of asbestos.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

We’ve got a 30 year fixed at 2% + fees but that’s before taxes. I haven’t actually calculated our real rate but we’re paying something like a grand USD per month to borrow half a mill.

It’s nuts and most certainly fuels the bubble. We’re reasonably secured against an interest hike because we’re guaranteed our rate for thirty years OR we can refinance and shave off debt, but a lot of people on ARMs are potentially turbofucked.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering going to a fixed 2% instead, just because of how the winds are blowing at the moment.

I'm probably not going to be in this condo in 2-3 years (moving together with my girlfriend after she finishes her ph.d. next year), but those years could hurt.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Wanna know how rosy the housing market is in Australia?

Im 40 mins out from the OUTSKIRTS of Adelaide. Close to an hr out from the CBD, In a small country town that doesnt have mains water (we've got sewer and reclaimed water return, but rainwater for everything else) and bottled LP Gas.

Cost us $450K to buy land and build a 180m2 house. Borrowed $350K.

Interest rate is 4.91%, 30yr loan period. We're paying AU$1K PER FORTNIGHT to overpay it slightly. Minimum repayments are $2,682.

I have no idea how some of the other people in this estate with $600-700K builds actually afford the repayments and then actually, well, living? Bills and that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ that's loving nuts, wow

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ferremit posted:

Wanna know how rosy the housing market is in Australia?

Im 40 mins out from the OUTSKIRTS of Adelaide. Close to an hr out from the CBD, In a small country town that doesnt have mains water (we've got sewer and reclaimed water return, but rainwater for everything else) and bottled LP Gas.

Cost us $450K to buy land and build a 180m2 house. Borrowed $350K.

Interest rate is 4.91%, 30yr loan period. We're paying AU$1K PER FORTNIGHT to overpay it slightly. Minimum repayments are $2,682.

I have no idea how some of the other people in this estate with $600-700K builds actually afford the repayments and then actually, well, living? Bills and that.

Home equity lines of credit!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Welp, not gonna complain too much about the house we paid £170k for with a decent garden, 25 minutes from work.

I mean an extra room for my wife's hobby crap and making the garage a double wouldn't go amiss but I reckon a log cabin/garden office will take care of the first one and a carport will do for the second.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Man y'all have had some sorry agents. The one my realtor recommends is a deal breaker. She's an exceptional agent though.

It's probably worth it to get a second opinion unless your inspector and agent are hardasses.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

slothrop posted:

god house chat is terrifying. My girlfriend has got a serious boner for buying a house ASAP and I'm just following along behind with my barely-minimum-wage earnings. Sure I'd rather dump whatever money I have spare into her mortgage rather than some boomer slumlord. I just don't think she appreciates the costs that come with maintaining a house, particularly the older places she's looking at. It'd be awesome to have a garage and a bit of grass to put the bbq on but you just know every drat thing in the house is going to need replacing and be made of asbestos.

I'm in the same boat, my fiance's super eager, but I'm barely holding onto savings. She's the breadwinner, and then some, but gently caress are we not in a great spot to buy a house
Especially in Chicago

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I couldn’t afford to live any closer to the city- we paid $172K for our 890m2 block of land. Go 15 mins closer to the freeway at Mt Barker and the same sized block of land is $320K

And this is Adelaide, where the median house price is $400K. Places like Sydney and Melbourne are just insane with median prices of $1.1M and $900K!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

I couldn’t afford to live any closer to the city- we paid $172K for our 890m2 block of land. Go 15 mins closer to the freeway at Mt Barker and the same sized block of land is $320K

And this is Adelaide, where the median house price is $400K. Places like Sydney and Melbourne are just insane with median prices of $1.1M and $900K!

Where's the crying Melbourne Tram? :australia:

This is the sort of thing she's looking at and thinking is just amazing.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-preston-129420242

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6282699/Mad-Max-meets-Burning-Man-Awesome-photos-post-apocalypse-style-Wasteland-Weekend.html

2 black thumbs up

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cool

(Link directly to the photographer, to save you visiting the daily mail: https://www.todseelie.com/wasteland-weekend-cars/ )

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

(Link directly to the photographer, to save you visiting the daily mail: https://www.todseelie.com/wasteland-weekend-cars/ )

Thank you for dis.

However, wtf is this? https://www.todseelie.com/white-supremacists/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He agreed that the Daily Mail could use his pictures if he could get some of their readership?

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Mortgage chat: I have a 20 year mortgage at 3.25% in the u.s. and I have paid extra premium since day one and at this rate I would have it paid off in about 9 years (3 years early) :toot:
That’s awesome, you say, so what am I going to do now? That’s right, I’m going to build a new house in a much more expensive area and put myself back at the beginning of a 20-30 year mortgage at a much higher rate than 3.25% What is the burning money gif?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Gingerbread House Music posted:

what are you using for bait?

A 1988 Honda Prelude SI

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Modus Man posted:

Mortgage chat: I have a 20 year mortgage at 3.25% in the u.s. and I have paid extra premium since day one and at this rate I would have it paid off in about 9 years (3 years early) :toot:
That’s awesome, you say, so what am I going to do now? That’s right, I’m going to build a new house in a much more expensive area and put myself back at the beginning of a 20-30 year mortgage at a much higher rate than 3.25% What is the burning money gif?

drat that's a good rate since the rate of inflation in the US is like 2.7-2.9 I think.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Galler posted:

Don't cheap out on paint. Cheap paint doesn't save much if any money in the end but it will take a lot more time as you paint the same walls over and over to get good coverage. Pittsburg Paramount worked really well for me. My house had 5 different colors + a bunch of wall patching and I painted over everything with 1 coat of Paramount applied with a power roller. I can't tell where my patches were and I don't notice any differences from the various previous colors. The little 4" trim rollers with the microfiber roller covers are fantastic for doing the corners and top/bottom of walls.
Very worth it to pay an extra couple bucks per gallon when you end up putting down less coats and it looks better.

nm posted:

If you haven't get the biggest rear end in a top hat picky home inspector. This is not the one your agent will recommend.
Picky inspector will give you a list of things you can use to negotiate price or get money at closing. We found someone that tore the place apart when we did inspections and the sellers maxed out the cash they could give us at closing instead of fixing anything. Worked out great for us.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slothrop posted:

god house chat is terrifying. My girlfriend has got a serious boner for buying a house ASAP and I'm just following along behind with my barely-minimum-wage earnings.

NEVER buy a house with anything less than a spouse. That'll be the worst mistake you've ever made.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Happy legal weed day fellow Canadians :canada: :2bong:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dropped off the earnest money, we'll schedule our inspection on Friday. The wheels they are a turning!

My dad swung by so I drove him over to check it out. We trudged around and he is just grinning and smiling the whole time and then he starts to choke back tears and tells me how proud he is of me. Just a great little moment with dad today and it makes me feel even better about this.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

keykey posted:

NEVER buy a house with anything less than a spouse. That'll be the worst mistake you've ever made.

Disagree. My single house purchase has been amazing for 5 years now.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Disagree. My single house purchase has been amazing for 5 years now.

I think he meant "don't go in on a house with your girlfriend/bestfriend/friend/ex/acquaintance/current roomie". Not "Don't buy a house unless you have at least a spouse, and maybe a couple kids".

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

I think he meant "don't go in on a house with your girlfriend/bestfriend/friend/ex/acquaintance/current roomie". Not "Don't buy a house unless you have at least a spouse, and maybe a couple kids".

That's exactly what I mean. I bought my house in 2003 when I was single, but I damned sure didn't go in on it with my gf at the time, that would have been a really bad mistake.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Rhyno I will say I have exclusively used Sherwin-Williams paint to redo my almost 60 year old house and it has held up great for 10 years, it has blended fine with one coat when I did remodeling years later, and they have awesome sales every few months. I am no shill but I'm going to recommend something when I have had nothing but good experiences.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Dropped off the earnest money, we'll schedule our inspection on Friday. The wheels they are a turning!

My dad swung by so I drove him over to check it out. We trudged around and he is just grinning and smiling the whole time and then he starts to choke back tears and tells me how proud he is of me. Just a great little moment with dad today and it makes me feel even better about this.

One of the things in the meatpimp arsenal is that I am a certified home inspector. Note that that discipline covers its own rear end more than any other that I've seen. The home inspections are based on defects that are apparent without opening any cavities or modifying anything.

It will show basic mis-wired outlets. It will show water damage. It will show basic problems. It will not show covered-up PO fuckery. It will not show anything inside walls, or covered with insulation, or intentionally concealed.

It's basically a PPO for a car that shows basic soundness, but does not go into the weeds.

Take that as you will.

everdave posted:

Rhyno I will say I have exclusively used Sherwin-Williams paint to redo my almost 60 year old house and it has held up great for 10 years, it has blended fine with one coat when I did remodeling years later, and they have awesome sales every few months. I am no shill but I'm going to recommend something when I have had nothing but good experiences.

I've used SW since the early '90s. I've notices significant issues in the past few years, especially with coverage. Ironically, I've had really good results with Behr. My best friend swears by Benjamin Moore. I think there is some subjective evaluations on paint, since people paint with different styles. I like a heavier, creamy paint, others like it thinner.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 17, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Happy legal weed day fellow Canadians :canada: :2bong:

Fantasic day for my back to go out, now I can just hobble down to the weed store and oh wait the only one in my province is in loving KAMLOOPS of all shitholes

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

keykey posted:

That's exactly what I mean. I bought my house in 2003 when I was single, but I damned sure didn't go in on it with my gf at the time, that would have been a really bad mistake.

Oh derp

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

All advice is appreciated and will be considered! We're going to do this a little slowly since our schedules are our of sync, probably a room at a time. We're trying to decide if we want to put laminate in the last three rooms that don't already have it.

meatpimp posted:

One of the things in the meatpimp arsenal is that I am a certified home inspector. Note that that discipline covers its own rear end more than any other that I've seen. The home inspections are based on defects that are apparent without opening any cavities or modifying anything.

It will show basic mis-wired outlets. It will show water damage. It will show basic problems. It will not show covered-up PO fuckery. It will not show anything inside walls, or covered with insulation, or intentionally concealed.

It's basically a PPO for a car that shows basic soundness, but does not go into the weeds.

Take that as you will.

I was vaguely aware that it wouldn't cover everything. We've picked one that will look over foundation, windows, furnace etc. All the major essentials. Should I be aware of anything that should get intricate look?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fun fact: Karol Bartoszynski (edit: one of the cofounders of the above event, if you didn't read the article) set up a Mad Max mini-event in San Antonio quite some time ago. A convoy of much less threatening machines down the highway to a showing of Mad Max at the Alamo Drafthouse. I drove down from Dallas with my cousin, in my primer-black '70 Cutlass.
A bunch of mundanes got scared and called the cops who had been informed that we were doing this.
They gathered up a dozen of us who would admit that we had been in the convoy, and arrested us on some bullshit charge like obstructing a highway. We were doing under the speed limit in the right lane. Karol (pronounced "Carl", BTW) was one of the ones arrested.
The charges were dropped on all of us, but I (and my cousin, too) still had to drive to San Antonio from Dallas twice, and I had to pay a lawyer, because I didn't qualify for a public defender. Still pisses me off something fierce.
Fortunately, the guy who drove his replica Black Intercepto down from Dallas as well didn't get caught up in it. Though the top-loader 4-speed in the car exploded about 30 miles from home, he said.

Here's one newspaper story:
https://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Mad-Max-fan-convoy-ends-in-arrests-8640132.php

I don't recall that anyone had any machine guns, fake or otherwise. There were a couple of late-teens/20-somethings with a prop of the triple-barreled air-crossbow from Road Warrior in the bed of the truck, and those were the two that got the knife charges (they were machetes, like every lawn guy carries...)

This would mark the last time I trusted or volunteered any information to a cop.

A bunch of assholes who should be shot. With their own guns, preferably.

EDIT: This is the dude who brought the Interceptor. He's got more now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF6oQUEfn84

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 17, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Prong Song posted:

i had a friend who went and bought a house with a friend of his in 2008, can you guess how well that went?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

i had a friend who went and bought a house with a friend of his in 2008, can you guess how well that went?

They turned gay and got married?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

It's cool, man. We still good. :hfive:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I was vaguely aware that it wouldn't cover everything. We've picked one that will look over foundation, windows, furnace etc. All the major essentials. Should I be aware of anything that should get intricate look?

How old is the house? I won't touch anything pre-1975, just because there are so many variables. Dangers with paint, wiring, plumbing,etc. Just not worth putting my name on, because you either simply cannot see everything in a reasonable time, or you're going to be taking a full day for $500.

Pay attention to how they inspect the roof. Preferable is someone that has a drone rig so that they can get a good view with video. How old is the roof?

How old are the mechanicals? When was the last time the AC was checked? The furnace? How old is the hot water heater?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

A bunch of assholes who should be shot. With their own guns, preferably.

Come now, I'm sure some in that crowd are Very Fine People :trumppop:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

They turned gay and got married?

weird way to define "foreclosure"

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

keykey posted:

This is solid advice. I won’t be doing any of the owning. I’ll be paying a fair share of the rent. If we get married, that’s great. If not, we’ll I would have been paying that money anyways.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Should I buy my friends 97 VW Golf and put a new engine in it or nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slothrop posted:

This is solid advice. I won’t be doing any of the owning. I’ll be paying a fair share of the rent. If we get married, that’s great. If not, we’ll I would have been paying that money anyways.

Also if your gf has a super house boner, it depends on what state you're in. If you're experiencing a bubble and you're anywhere but CA/anywhere with a 180-degree radius of building next to an ocean, then let that poo poo crash before purchasing. I suspect we're going to see a crash when minimum wage here caps at $15 an hour, because of simple economic trends and willingness to pay factors.

• Locked thread