Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

OrthoTrot posted:

Thanks. I will try and write something about Ladbroke Grove next as its a really big deal. Like Clapham Junction it has had a massive impact. You can still get killed on the railway easily enough but it's hard to imagine something like that happening again. Our biggest risk these days is probably rear end collisions or a Germanwings style "I'm going down and I'm taking you all with me".

It's conceivable weve already had one of those actually - the Moorgate crash.

Just want to chime in and say that I'm really enjoying these as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sagebrush posted:

It's a common belief in China because of a famous court case where that was precisely the outcome:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Shoulan_v._Peng_Yu

The country did recently (2017) implement a Good Samaritan law, though it's apparently not especially legally sound, but at least it's a start.

Death to humanity

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://i.imgur.com/9aiF6JG.mp4
right click>show controls and unmute

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

drgitlin posted:

OrthoTrot your posts are both informative and engaging, please keep writing them for as long as you want.

When I was doing my PhD, a friend’s flat mate was killed in the Ladbroke Grove crash. I’ll be honest, I didn’t feel relaxed using the train for at least the next year, which is problematic if you live in Wandsworth.
Can't help but feel like that's a perfect name for the place. :v:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/zuL3lXS.mp4

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Boogalo posted:

https://i.imgur.com/9aiF6JG.mp4
right click>show controls and unmute

this is funnier than it has any right being

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Renegret posted:

this is funnier than it has any right being

It's guys in the cabin giggling like school kids *before* they hit the horn that does it for me.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
All it would take for that to be murder is one of those people tripping

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SCATTER! THE FUN POLICE ARE HERE!

(also, I had the same exact thought. I still laughed)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I liked the soft toot at the end to just kind of show them that they are friends

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Diesel engines are loving loud though, how were they so unaware that they didn't hear it. You should be able to hear one at idle from quite a distance away.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Renegret posted:

Diesel engines are loving loud though, how were they so unaware that they didn't hear it. You should be able to hear one at idle from quite a distance away.

Considering they were dumb enough to be walking on the tracks, my guess is ear buds as well.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Im guessing that they've heard it in the background long enough for their brains to filter it out as irrelevant white noise.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Piell posted:

All it would take for that to be murder suicide is one of those people tripping

FTFY

I've done a bunch of work on railroads, they aren't as loud as you think if they aren't flying along at 100. And if you're not really expecting them, and kinda in that oblivious state, then I can totally see missing it.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Self-reporting as an unsafe worker :byoscience:

Tasted some nice spicy 480 the other day while farting around with control power wiring and not considering where my hands were.

Don't work on live gear, kids! Even if it's convenient!

We're about to have a big fat safety standdown here, but it's due to the seven fatalities we've apparently had. I'm not one of them.

As far as I know.

:ghost:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ArcMage posted:

Tasted some nice spicy 480 the other day while farting around with control power wiring and not considering where my hands were.

excellent username/post combo

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Kith posted:

excellent username/post combo

I marked myself from an early age.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ArcMage posted:

We're about to have a big fat safety standdown here, but it's due to the seven fatalities we've apparently had. I'm not one of them.

As far as I know.

poo poo, any place that had even one fatality let alone seven would get shut down for months pending investigation here.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Yeah, no. gently caress that poo poo you can walk from now on.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It's a common belief in China because of a famous court case where that was precisely the outcome:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Shoulan_v._Peng_Yu

The country did recently (2017) implement a Good Samaritan law, though it's apparently not especially legally sound, but at least it's a start.

In 2012 it was reported the man (Peng Yu) had actually confessed to injuring the woman he helped, and then deliberately sought attention and notoriety for helping her. Here it is in Bloomberg:

quote:

Or rather, it was until Jan. 16 -- when, in what seems to be one of the great scoops in recent Chinese journalism, the state-owned news magazine Oriental Weekly revealed the content of some newly discovered and disclosed documents. According to the trove, Peng Yu not only confessed to knocking over that supposedly greedy granny in 2006, but he actively solicited the local news media and online forum moderators to promote him as a martyred Good Samaritan.
On top of that, reports Oriental Weekly, he and Xu Shuolin secretly agreed on a modest financial settlement and had the decision sealed. So far as the two major players in China’s most notorious court decision were concerned, nobody ever had to know the truth of the matter.

EDIT: I can no longer read that article on Bloomberg, but I also remember it was mentioned somewhere that local officials kept the whole thing secret for some asinine reason involving face

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 17, 2018

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

OrthoTrot posted:

Thanks. I will try and write something about Ladbroke Grove next as its a really big deal. Like Clapham Junction it has had a massive impact. You can still get killed on the railway easily enough but it's hard to imagine something like that happening again. Our biggest risk these days is probably rear end collisions or a Germanwings style "I'm going down and I'm taking you all with me".

It's conceivable weve already had one of those actually - the Moorgate crash.

Just to add that these posts are excellent.

My grandmother was one of the first doctors to arrive at Moorgate. She understandably never talked about what she saw down there, but between the pictures, and reading the accident reports, my impression is that it was close to hell on earth frankly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ArcMage posted:

We're about to have a big fat safety standdown here, but it's due to the seven fatalities
What in the gently caress

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

ArcMage posted:

As far as I know.

Someone has a poo poo lockout/tagout program!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ArcMage posted:

As far as I know.

I've got some bad news for you.

:(

E:

Astroclassicist posted:

Just to add that these posts are excellent.

My grandmother was one of the first doctors to arrive at Moorgate. She understandably never talked about what she saw down there, but between the pictures, and reading the accident reports, my impression is that it was close to hell on earth frankly.

The wiki article for this event introduced me to a verb: "concertinaed". I've never seen that used before. :wtc:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 18, 2018

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Schadenboner posted:

The wiki article for [Moorgate]

Should I read it or will you be covering this too eventually OrthoTrot? :ohdear: (also: thanks!)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

The wiki article for this event introduced me to a verb: "concertinaed". I've never seen that used before. :wtc:

I thought that exact same thing when I encountered the word. :lol:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, I'd never seen it used as a verb, but it effectively lets you know what happened. It's about as evocative as the seemingly innocuous phrase "injuries incompatible with life".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

It brings to mind inappropriately fun memories of watching Wile E Coyote cartoons

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
We have a large concrete pad at the yard, for working on large equipment. There is a little building on the pad, for providing power since the pad is a ways away from the 2 big shops.

It is 40-50 feet from where the electricians shop is.

I do not like the electricians in the yard.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

quote:

The depth at which they were operating, and the shielding effect of the soil and concrete, meant their radios could not get through to the surface. Messages and requests for further supplies were passed by runners, which led to mistakes: one doctor requested further supplies of the pain-killing gas Entonox, but by the time the request reached the surface, it had been garbled to "the doctor wants an empty box".

Oh they'll need some empty boxes alright...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Load limits, what are those, then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7FKYU-cwE

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Jeep turning around rather than (presumably) following the bus across is demonstrating an astounding amount of self-preservation instinct.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

ArcMage posted:

As far as I know.

Anyone else seeing a blank post here?

Galactic Cat
Jun 21, 2018

ArcMage posted:

OoooOOOOOOOooooOOOOoo :byoscience:

OooOOoooooOOOOOooooOOOOoooooOOOOooOOOOoooOOOoooooOOOOOOOOoooooOOOoOOoOOO.

oooOOOOOOooooo, OOoooo! OOOOOOOooooOOooooOOOooo!

OOOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOOOO, oooOOOOooooOOOOOoooooo. OOOOooOOOoooOOO.

OOoooOOOooo.

What the hell is going on here?!

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Buttcoin purse posted:

Should I read it or will you be covering this too eventually OrthoTrot? :ohdear: (also: thanks!)

It's probably worth a read as I'm not sure I would have a lot to say about it.

The driver approached the station, sped up, and hit the buffer stops. We have absolutely no idea why. He might have been asleep but trains have dead man handles, so being unconscious for that long should result in the brakes coming on. It certainly shouldn't result in more power being taken.

We do now have safety features that mean you can't do more than about 10mph approaching buffers, so even if you did this the speeds involved should be much lower. That's about the only mitigation possible for the always present risk that one day someone who's shown no signs of anything before might do something completely inexplicable.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Galactic Cat posted:

What the hell is going on here?!

poo poo, I just realized my work's information security policy does not take the risk of data being stolen by ghosts into account.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/patrickquinntv/status/1052738053242904576?s=21

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

That's just the Sony Bravia commercial in SD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Somebody is stocking up on cannonballs?

That doesn't bode well.