Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Maneck posted:

You are ranting at multiple people to read more carefully without having bothered to check the rule book. Leaving aside flyers, the rules include two separate rules respecting measurement. Both rules work for both based and baseless models, but they have different mechanics.

The movement (path of travel) rule requires determining the maximum distance traveled of any point on the base or hull:

The distance (as the crow flies) rule requires determining the closest (minimum) distance between two bases. Where a model has no base, it specifies to determine the closest distance to a point on the hull:

There is no general rule that says "if a model has a base, you measure to the base, ONLY if it doesn't have one do you measure to the hall". It's in your head. You've taken a detail of the distance between models rule and generalized it - but that's inappropriate, because the part you're trying to generalize is explicitly for determining minimum distance, which doesn't help with movement.

You're right about this though.

The rule on page 3 is referencing back to the rule on page 2. There aren't two separate rules for measuring distance and I'm sorry, but you are not the cleverest boy no matter how much you want to be.

R0ckfish posted:

This is tangentially related, but I have always been against the idea stuff like RG/other -1 traits. I am fine with units with -1/-2 as part of their rules, since you have to pay for it and typically the units have some compromise about having it, but the 'free' army wide ones just make no sense to me as it is often worth ~20% of the cost of units with it built in!

You have my axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

More news on Speed Waaghs. Seems like it'll be a keyword for strats, traits etc?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/17/17th-oct-orks-da-vehiclesgw-homepage-post-3/

edit:

lol at LeakResponse

Harkano fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 17, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Harkano posted:

lol at LeakResponse

Quick someone leak chapter approved so GW starts posting the points changes

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The simmering grudges between posters are what makes the 40k thread special.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Regarding the conga line, what's wrong with fighting at the squad level but having squad movement be tied to a Squad Leader?

Squad Coherency: All models in a squad must end their move or charge within X inches of the Squad Leader, who makes the first move or charge. For squads with 5 or fewer models, X=6 in; 10 or fewer, X=8 in; 20 or fewer, X=10 in, 21 or greater , X=12 in. A squad is only eligible for aura bonuses if the Squad Leader is within the specified range of the model providing the aura.

Almost every unit in the game has a Sergeant or equivalent model already. Tyranids would need some reworking.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
GW is opposed to bookkeeping to some degree.

If I kill a devastator sergeant to keep a lascannon, can they not move now? Do I drop a token next to the new one?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

DrPop posted:

This is cool, I really like the main color.

Thanks. It's a colour I've been trying to replicate for quite a while without success:

I showed the image to Caleb, and he just went: Use these colours and hit it with this ink :science:
The original might be a little bit more orange, but I'm happy with this.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

I dont get it. I don't think you know what you are talking about sir.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I dropped off the discord to study and now don't have a link, can someone PM me an invite please? Wanna get back into talkin hams.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

quote:

Almost every unit in the game has a Sergeant or equivalent model already. Tyranids would need some reworking.

And Necrons. And Conscripts. Wraith units. Tau units (leader optional). Vehicle squads like Marine Speeders. Sanguinary Guard and Death Company.
Poxwalkers. More stuff than you think.

It works in Legion because Legion was designed for it from the ground up.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

ro5s posted:

The simmering grudges between posters are what makes the 40k thread special.

Claiming that a rule exists, demanding that the other guy "read the rules", then launching into ad hominems when he reads the rules text aloud, is a permanent fixture of the 40k scene.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

I'm a non-player here's how I read it.

Does it have a base?

If yes, measure between closest points on base
If no, measure the nearest point on the model/vehicle.

Am I right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yes and I’m not sure how you can read it any other way. It’s pretty explicit.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Maneck posted:

Claiming that a rule exists, demanding that the other guy "read the rules", then launching into ad hominems when he reads the rules text aloud, is a permanent fixture of the 40k scene.

The movement rule is written in such a way that you can pivot and turn as long you never violate getting more range towards/away from something than your movement distance allows. It's so you can drive around a corner, but you can't flip the rear end end of your tank out further than the movement distance from where it began.

The distance measuring rules are the distance measuring rules, and apply to shooting, movement, whatever.

It's all written in such a way that you can use whatever bases or base your tanks or whatever you want with zero gameplay impact.

The only time the base size starts to matter is auras (because you extend/shrink the surface area of an aura as well as the amount of models that can fit into auras) as well as melee ranks (because smaller bases make it a little easier to fit into tight places to get more ranks in real world scenarios with terrain and other intervening models clogging things up).

Neither of those has any serious gameplay ramifications on whether you win or lose except maybe in exceptionally close games.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Yes and I’m not sure how you can read it any other way. It’s pretty explicit.

Where there's a will...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hey 40k dudes

I only paint these days so don't really keep up to date with what's going on gaming wise

Really want to paint one of the new ork buggies, is it something that's going to be available to buy separately or will it only be part of a new boxed game?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Skarsnik posted:

Hey 40k dudes

I only paint these days so don't really keep up to date with what's going on gaming wise

Really want to paint one of the new ork buggies, is it something that's going to be available to buy separately or will it only be part of a new boxed game?

Two of them are supposedly "exclusive" to the Speed Freeks box although who knows how long that will last. The rest will be available separately.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nice one, ta

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

Two of them are supposedly "exclusive" to the Speed Freeks box although who knows how long that will last. The rest will be available separately.

If it's like the Chaos Chosen or Cultists from DV, exclusivity will last forever.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

berzerkmonkey posted:

If it's like the Chaos Chosen or Cultists from DV, exclusivity will last forever.

They don't make sprue errors like that anymore so it probably won't be forever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skarsnik posted:

Hey 40k dudes

eBay

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Corrode posted:

Ugh, really? That's lame. Do we know which?

Played by Death Guard vs IG in Kill Team last night. Take Prisoners is a stupid mission. He just sat 14 dudes in a corner and readied all of them every turn.

By round 6 my Plague Spewer, Flail of Corruption, and 1 Poxwalker finally got close enough but I wasn't able to thin their numbers enough to capture anyone.

But it was still a super fun game, I don't think I've ever made as many Disgustingly Resilient rolls on my last 3 games combined as I did last night. Combined with him routinely Wounding on 5's I felt proper Nurgley.

We ended up tieing because we both had 100 points but it was definitely one of the most fun games I've had in Kill Team.

Much better than my previous match of DG vs Tau on the Assassinate mission (he was the defender). That was like storming Normandy :suicide:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 17, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

richyp posted:

I'm a non-player here's how I read it.

Does it have a base?

If yes, measure between closest points on base
If no, measure the nearest point on the model/vehicle.

Am I right?

That very clearly describes how to measure the distance between two objects.

The issue is that measuring between two objects doesn't help very much in determine how far something can move. I say doing that relies on measuring path traveled (which is not a "distance between") and the rules signal this by shifting from looking for the minimum distance, to looking for the maximum.

Mine is clearly the minority view.

The distinction would matter mostly where a high velocity vehicle has to do a punch of pivots.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Ugh, really? That's lame. Do we know which?

Kustom Boosta Blasta and Shokkjump Dragsta.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr Hemulen posted:

Thanks. It's a colour I've been trying to replicate for quite a while without success:

I showed the image to Caleb, and he just went: Use these colours and hit it with this ink :science:
The original might be a little bit more orange, but I'm happy with this.

It looks great.

Have you tried Vallejo's scrufulous brown? Looks like that's the color

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

head58 posted:

Kustom Boosta Blasta and Shokkjump Dragsta.

:negative: Ugh. The two I like the most. Why did I decide to get back into GW games the year my budget is the smallest.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Sab669 posted:

:negative: Ugh. The two I like the most. Why did I decide to get back into GW games the year my budget is the smallest.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

As someone who’s done this many times, eBay specifically right before, during, or immediately after release. If you wait, all the fairly priced ones will be snatched up and replaced with people trying to scalp you for a large markup because you missed the spaceman boat.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Phew this game sounds hard

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Hixson posted:

The suggestion of a template may be our saviour, yay templates.

You missed a key measurement

richyp fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 17, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Yes, distance versus displacement. Although using correct terminology makes things worse because the page 2 rule is "measuring distance".

Hixson posted:

The starting point for being wrong is trying to get anything right.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Hixson posted:

hand

lol

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Maneck posted:

Yes, distance versus displacement. Although using correct terminology makes things worse because the page 2 rule is "measuring distance".

When you really think about it for a unit to move any distance it must first make it to to half that distance, and before that, half of that distance, and half that distance first, meaning you must complete an infinite number of movements before reaching the measured distance making it all irrelevant because this proves can it's logically impossible for a unit to move any distance.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
What really is an inch?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Booley posted:

What really is an inch?

A little under 28mm

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Booley posted:

What really is an inch?

That to which you aspire.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Booley posted:

What really is an inch?

A miserable pile of bad posts

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Maneck posted:

That to which you aspire.

Booley, I think he's talking about your dick, mate. How can you recover from this?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Booley, I think he's talking about your dick, mate. How can you recover from this?!

Depends if he measures from the base or not.