Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mango Polo posted:

For all the poo poo I've given to GW about their past (and current!) incompetence, I at least appreciate that they are not afraid to involve politics and make a stand.

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1052606317716799488

Though I have to admit the, huh, British "dark humor" thing cseems a little hardcore?

I'm trying to determine what level you're playing at here but I'm gonna need you to read the title of that account again

e: unless I am the one getting played here, in which case, i'm glad this is at the top of the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Any not-star-wars space combat games alive at the moment?

I was hopeful for Dropfleet, but it's gone all UK-only.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Friendly reminder that it's totally fine to like and enjoy playing bad games

I'm just posting this because I can physically feel someone about to explode

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Moola posted:

We all do, really

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Moola posted:

:same:

I'm worried everyone concerned with the levels of fun people should be having in their game system of choice might burst a blood vessel or puncture a body pillow in a fit of rage or some poo poo.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LeSquide posted:

How are the Rogue Trader starstrider guys?

My dude, they are rad as hell. One of them is a dog.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

:agreed:
It's also fine to enjoy dissecting and criticizing good and bad games.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

TheChirurgeon posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm gonna regret this, but... what's the best thread to talk about Kill Team in?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Len posted:

It sounds like every edition of 40k is the worst edition

You're not wrong.

TheChirurgeon posted:

And a good dog too.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MCPeePants posted:

Boring Runewars shilling incoming, do not read!

Runewars! It is a game that was clearly designed with a very specific goal in mind, and it excels in its niche. It's a rank & flank game with simultaneous turns, which it accomplishes with X-wing style command dials, only this time each unit gets TWO dials (action and modifier or action and bonus action) and the initiative they act at is determined by the action they've chosen rather than an innate value of the unit, like X-wing.

To make movement work with the pre-selection system we get templates, which are a little finnicky sometimes but so was measuring a wheel in warhammer fantasy and at least this way you can be sure you're doing it right. Mostly the only time any positional inaccuracy comes up is when reforming, which is a free rotation around your center point. It's tough to do perfectly, especially when there are other game elements nearby.

The interlocking movement trays that your models sit in form the base unit of the game, both for movement (a 3-speed march moves you the same distance as 3 trays) and for fighting (units roll a fixed 2-4 [proprietary, naturally] dice and results are multiplied by frontage and you get rerolls for extra ranks). Models in trays are generally just wound markers, and there is no gameplay distinction between a full tray and one with only a single model left. All mechanics are based solely on its footprint. Flanking grants you a bonus die on the attack, and fighting out of your flank or your back costs you your rerolls. It's a game about positioning.

Terrain is highly abstract but very functional. For one thing, it's deployed as part of setup, so you don't have to worry about creating a "balanced" table. In play, terrain is an obstacle with a capacity - you can't move through it, but if you touch it and you have trays equal to or less than its capacity, you can enter it. Units in terrain are treated as occupying the entire footprint and have 360 line of sight, and different types have different rules: hills let you see over things, swamps give you panic tokens (which make for bigger more serious morale results), ruins give you cover from ranged attacks, etc. Entering terrain ends your activation, and exiting it takes a whole action, so although it's great for changing direction it's generally slower than just marching in an open field.

It plays on a 6' x 3' board over 8 rounds, and the action generally starts round 2. Most ranged attacks are ~13.5" long, and 10" is a fairly long march action, so it is a lethal game of close engagements and tight maneuvering. Tournament rounds are 90 minutes, and only once (of the ten total tournament rounds I've played) have I had a game go to time. It prioritizes meaningful gameplay decisions, clear cut mechanics, and constant player engagement in a tournament-friendly format. There is some questionable balance of course, and a few corner cases that are still awaiting an FAQ, but it has very solid bones.

Fantasy rank & flank is a niche, and the gamier elements will further turn off some people, but Runewars was clearly designed from the ground up to accomplish a set of goals. It's not for everyone, but it's the best there is at what it does.

This sounds really interesting, thanks for the summary.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

S.J. posted:

I'm trying to determine what level you're playing at here but I'm gonna need you to read the title of that account again

oh god damnit :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rune wars is the best rank and file fantasy system i've played to date. while there's people around here that will play it, it's mostly people who played x-wing/imperial assault and, well, 2.0 and legion are out now. Would've liked to see a napoleonic take on it via star wars clone wars because that's how they seemed to be doing things.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

oh god damnit :(

Days since last time goon fooled by Games Werkshop: 000.

gently caress, we would have all gotten a day off if we hit 2.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Someone tell me bad things about Runewars now because it sounds kinda rad. What's the buy-in like? Is there a thread?

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

Someone tell me bad things about Runewars now because it sounds kinda rad. What's the buy-in like? Is there a thread?

Seems like the main bad thing, as a few have said, is the tiny community, so finding multiple people to play with might be hard.

I've enjoyed talking to FLGS owners about how 40k resurgence squeezed the life out of most other games. I just moved to a new area and my main FLGS seems to be healthier and I've seen GW, Bolt Action, Legion, and a better overall mix of games being played. Also had a fun conversation when visiting a GW store in another state. The guy running it was surprised when I mentioned Necromunda and said it was dead in his area, which didn't surprise me, but the candor from a GW store guy did.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's a lot of little triggered abilities with tokens, which is endemic to FFG's design philosophy. X-wing 2.0 has even more of them now and while some are neat design-wise, they're rather lovely in practice in a physical medium.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There's like 3 people worldwide that play it and FFG released 1.5 factions for it and peaced out for a year. It may or may not be a good game, but you might struggle to find a scene for it. Check if other people near you already play it or would be interested in it before buying in.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LeSquide posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm gonna regret this, but... what's the best thread to talk about Kill Team in?

Probably https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804679

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Upgrade cards: much like X-wing, units have various upgrade slots, and new ones are released over time. Unlike X-wing, everything is available in-faction, so if you're a human player you'll never need to buy elf models just to get some cardboard. Still, maybe there's an upgrade in the scouts box that you really want to use on your heavy cavalry, and you don't want to use scouts. Obviously proxies are cool and good, and the community is small enough that no one can afford to be picky about their opponents, but technically official events require official product.

FFG component syndrome: if you hate tokens, cards, and templates, this game will bother you. Proprietary dice do their job well, but it's one more fuckin' thing. Also they recently (presumably coinciding with X-wing 2.0) switched from mini upgrade cards to full-sized, so it's a mix. Presumably there will be full-sized reprints?

Community: the game is not popular. FFG bungled the release pretty bad by shifting all production to Legion, so the four factions will only be up to par (each with 3 heroes and 5 unit types) next month. You may have trouble finding a scene locally. Here is an under-utilized map of players and communities. If there aren't locals playing it, expect a serious uphill battle getting any traction.

Buy in is pretty good as minis games go, but options cost. The game plays at 200 points and the starters are about 100. Focusing on heroes and upgrades, you can get a full if inflexible army for $150USD retail. You can play at 100 points for the "cheap intro", but the game doesn't really work at that level outside of a basic introduction. The game's rocky start has made for some excellent distributor/personal clearouts though, so you may find some real deals online.

There is no SA thread, the FFG forums and discord is where most discussion takes place. That said, I am slavishly devoted to the game, so happy to answer any questions.

I did a big effortpost about the factions a while back if you want to take a peek: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/278308-want-to-learn-more-about-the-factions-read-on/

MCPeePants fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 17, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mango Polo posted:

For all the poo poo I've given to GW about their past (and current!) incompetence, I at least appreciate that they are not afraid to involve politics and make a stand.

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1052606317716799488

Though I have to admit the, huh, British "dark humor" thing cseems a little hardcore?

Ghazghkull Mak Uruk Thraka

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Iron Crowned posted:

Orks always win, that's all you need to know

Orks couldn’t even win the month that got named for them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

S.J. posted:

Oh my God how did I miss a new death thread? Jesus. anyways whatever your favorite miniature game is, it sucks, and here's why,

Gaslands. Come at me bro.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Archenteron posted:

Ghazghkull Mak Uruk Thraka

Margaret Thatcher, for anyone unfamiliar

Indolent Bastard posted:

:hmmyes: You get a pass.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Gaslands is high on my list of games to try. My kids have a poo poo-ton of Hotwheels and Matchbox cars that are itchin' to get repurposed for this game.

I must also admit that I am intrigued by Gangs of Rome. I think next time I go to a decent-sized convention, I'll give that one a try.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I live near FFG so if they ever actually supported their own products I could definitely find a group but the only thing on their calendar for Runewars right now is the world champs, so :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Indolent Bastard posted:

I need to get into Gaslands, it sounds like the kinda game where I could just make a bunch of cars and force people to play Hot Wheels with me

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
To all the people pimping RuneWars, would you say Legion is equally as good? I saw RuneWars have some life in my area initially, but its like almost completely dead now. Legion had insane hype at start, but it seems like people moved on from it right quick? I was interested in both, but if you are going to ask me to paint miniatures for a game I need to feel confident it will be played for years to come.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

To all the people pimping RuneWars, would you say Legion is equally as good? I saw RuneWars have some life in my area initially, but its like almost completely dead now. Legion had insane hype at start, but it seems like people moved on from it right quick? I was interested in both, but if you are going to ask me to paint miniatures for a game I need to feel confident it will be played for years to come.

Doesn’t legion have an incredibly limited model range.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Iron Crowned posted:

I need to get into Gaslands, it sounds like the kinda game where I could just make a bunch of cars and force people to play Hot Wheels with me

https://www.spreaker.com/user/10238956/episode-40-gaslands-and-the-perils-of-co

Start at 27:40

Gaslands is loads of fun and you can get digital rules for cheap and then you just need cars. Of course I have made terrain, modded cars, made my own laser cut templates and custom dice, but that's because I'm 80% hobby/crafting and only 20% playing an actual game, but when I do play it's great.

Always follow the rule of carnage! "In Gaslands, if a rule is unclear, choose whichever option results in the most carnage for all concerned. This is The Rule of Carnage." Pg. 6

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 17, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mugaaz posted:

I haven't played Legion, but after watching a few games it looks incredibly boring to me

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

I live near FFG so if they ever actually supported their own products I could definitely find a group but the only thing on their calendar for Runewars right now is the world champs, so :shrug:

Very cool that loving guild ball has a scheduled night but not Runewars. That is one of the bigger Runewars communities, and apparently they do in fact play at FFG, just not on a fixed day. If you feel like wasting $75, you should come to worlds!

Mugaaz posted:

I have never played Legion, and my resentment at the way it was released has probably poisoned my impression, but no, I would not say it is anywhere close to as good. That said, it has a very different design mentality - it wants to be a platoon-scale cinematic game in which you move individual models behind cover and etc. It does have some sensible things like only measuring movement for your unit leader and then placing grunts within x distance, and it has a semi-random alternating activation system that I think I've heard good things about? Anyway I'm not really qualified to answer this question, but they're very different experiences.

FFG's track record is not exactly perfect, so I wouldn't put considerable money on either of them lasting indefinitely (though Runewars is their own IP so its threshold for success is lower).

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Legion is garbo and Star Wars is for children.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hustlin Floh posted:

Pre the last Jedi I might have fought you

But I got no fight left in me

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Hustlin Floh posted:

I started watching the lost Empire Strikes Back documentary that was recently rediscovered, and a few minutes in one of the lead designers for the movie explicitly stated that Star Wars is a fairy tale for children.

Which is pretty great considering how many thousands of hours of star wars criticism has been put on youtube by greasy 35 year old men within the last year.

But seriously, whats even the deal with Legion? MY roommate bought it months ago and has never touched it. I've never actually seen a discussion of the game outside of model chat or how FFG is a weird company. Is it good? How do lasers work? If it didn't have STAR WARS on it, would anyone have even taken a second glance at it?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I forgot it existed until today.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

But seriously, whats even the deal with Legion? MY roommate bought it months ago and has never touched it. I've never actually seen a discussion of the game outside of model chat or how FFG is a weird company. Is it good? How do lasers work? If it didn't have STAR WARS on it, would anyone have even taken a second glance at it?

I like it, but the rollout felt rushed. It would have been better if they’d had more units available at launch but then I’d be complaining about how much money I had to drop the first month. They’ve been basically releasing a new unit for each faction each month since launch and they will hit the sweet spot in a month or two when the melee intensive units come out. Right now it’s only Rebellion and Empire, Clone Wars era factions come out next year.

It has a pretty cool semi randomized mission/deployment/conditions mechanic where those features are dealt from a deck and chosen by the players. Keeps games from feeling too static, one of my complaints with Warmachine.

The unit activation system is pretty interesting as well. Depending on what card you play for initiative you may be able to designate up to 3 units that you can choose when they act (the game alternates activations between players). Any units other than those designated are selected randomly. So if you really want to control when your flamethrower troopers go during the round your best designate them.

The big cons where the game has had events this year - GenCon and NoVa - had big problems with insufficient terrain on the tables. This is a game that benefits from a crap ton of terrain and ffg (or whoever was running the events for them I can’t remember) really didn’t have enough so it looked sad. That was pretty bad press for the game.

It’s fun, but the Star Wars branding is what really hooked me in. As more models have come out the meta has been shifting fairly quickly. I think once the first full year of releases are out and the game is more fully realized it will feel more stable.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I said it earlier in the thread, but getting the releases from China to the USA/EU markets appears to be causing lots of delays in both the schedule and restocking. I think that has dampened enthusiasm for some people because nerds hate waiting, especially if they find out that other people already have a thing.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah Legion is what I'll step up to bat for as well. The combination of how match setups are decided, command cards/the randomized command pool vs direct orders, and the alternating unit activation among all the other little bits and pieces come together really cohesively. There's a lot to think about in terms of order of activation, exactly what actions to take with a unit, and what to prioritize with the enemy units considering how they allocated direct orders and how you expect them to sequence things and respond. It certainly is still suffering from a lack of options, so there was a big explosion of interest at launch earlier in the year that has waned a bit, especially since there is a lot of overlap with X-Wing players who have had that whole scene revitalized by 2.0. It would be nice if FFG stayed committed and the regular releases combined with the addition of new factions next year let them regain momentum, but I'm not going to hold my breath. It's still up in the air as to whether it's another Runewars or not.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I am bored at work, so let's talk unit activation in wargames for a bit!

40K pretty squarely occupies one end of the spectrum, where I resolve all of the activations and effects for all of my units, then you do the same (classic IGO-UGO). Games like this almost minimize the interaction between players. Aside from melee and the inclusion of Overwatch in a previous edition (6th I think?), there is very little you can do that can affect your opponent's turn. 8th has introduced Stratagems (powered by a limited resource) that change this somewhat. I think this is 100% to the good, but the effect is somewhat limited. However, since your entire force goes at once with almost no response, alpha strike is a huge game balance issue.

Infinity essentially uses an IGO-UGO mechanic, but unit activation is based off a resource pool rather than strictly by unit. I mean, yes, you could use each order generated by a unit in your force on that unit alone, but that largely defeats the purpose. However, in Infinity, your opponent's units are always given a chance to respond to your actions. The "active" player has a bonus that tilts the odds in their favor, but you can absolutely get your units shot up and killed in your own turn. In this way, both players are constantly engaged regardless of whose "turn" it is. Alpha strike is still a thing, though I think it's harder to pull off effectively on a consistent basis.

X-Wing and Wings/Sails of Glory use an interesting mechanic where movements, actions, or orders are planned ahead of time, then executed in an order dictated by some other aspect of the game (an initiative stat, random chance, position, etc). These games are interesting because you're not playing such a reactive game. Also, unless you are making a concentrated effort to only play a force that has a very high initiative, units will activate in some kind of alternating order and alpha strike is far less likely. It's not impossible, though, and getting blown up before you get to execute your :master: order is super loving annoying.

Bolt Action uses a random draw unit activation mechanic, which is interesting in that it makes alpha strike basically impossible. Unfortunately, it imposes its own set of difficulties, not least of which is that forces with more units gain tactical flexibility almost for free (because the draw only indicates that one of your units activates, but which unit activates is left up to the player. The use of the "Ambush" order does allow you to affect what happens during one of your opponent's activations however, so that can increase inter-player engagement.

Sharp Practice 2 takes Bolt Action's activation draw mechanic a step farther, with each activation draw tied to a particular unit. There is a fudge-factor mechanic built in to allow you to activate units out-of-sequence, but it is a limited resource that is also used for other things (like powering special unit abilities). This random activation and ability to interrupt definitely increases player engagement, as there's not really such a thing as "the other guy's turn." The game also has a mechanic whereby the end-of-turn is one of the chits that can be drawn, which means that it is entirely possible that you won't get to activate a given unit in a given turn. This has some really interesting tactical ramifications and presents players with some difficult choices. The player with more units does still gain an advantage in terms of statistically drawing one of their units, but this effect is mitigated by the extra fudge-factor resources being the same for both players regardless of army composition. Also, MSUs are generally less effective than larger formations.

Chain of Command poses a different problem - it's still IGO-UGO, but each turn players generate a pool of unit activation resources, and what you can do in each turn is based on how you choose to spend those resources. So if you reallyreallyreally need unit A to high-tail it into cover, you can prioritize that over activating other units. Further, the inclusion of overwatch, interrupts, and ambushes into the game means players are more engaged during the opponent's turn. Interestingly, alpha strikes are basically never a thing in Chain of Command because deployment happens the first time a unit activates, and the game has a novel mechanic for how deployment points are determined. Finally, Chain of Command fucks with turn order, and it's possible to have IGO-IGO-UGO. Unfortunately, as written it's also theoretically possible (although statistically unlikely) to have IGO-UGO-UGO-UGO-UGO-oh-poo poo-I-lose.

For me, the big things I look for in games are player engagement (can I do something to affect my opponent's turn, or if I can't are the turns at least mercifully short?) and mitigating the effects the alpha strike. And I think the reason for this is that over the (too many) years, these kinds of things are the most un-fun I've had in table-top wargames. Losing a game before you ever get to do anything with your lovingly-painted mans sucks, as does being able to totally check out and go make a sandwich while your opponent spends 45 minutes moving his massive pile of Orks. I'm excited that Kill Team is using an alternating activation scheme, and I'd like to see more of that innovation in the future. Hell, I'd love to see something like a bidding scheme, where you have a pool of activation resources and you're forced to choose between activating units quickly or activation all of your units. I think there's lots of room for new and interesting unit activation mechanics, because straight IGO-UGO is so often such a drag.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Isn't the Alpha Strike in Infinity a good thing? There are so many missions that favor going last. I thought the entire struggle was supposed to be as the first active player that you *need* to alpha strike hard enough to nullify their ability to act last on the final turn and score objectives with units that would otherwise be immediately destroyed if the game went another round. It feel pretty fair to me. In a pure annihilation maybe not, but in scenario play alpha striking doesn't feel overpowered at all.