Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If the dude got home from work at 6 he could do a load of laundry then. Doing laundry at 12:30 am is definitely unreasonable and not too much to ask him to stop. It is true, though, it doesn't bother everyone -- like I really like the repetitive white noise to fall asleep to -- so it's possible it's not bothering his family rather than him being an rear end in a top hat to them. It's also possible that because the vibration is mostly transmitted through the floor, you're getting it a lot more than they are.

Many apartments have a clause in the lease that x% of the floor must be carpeted. You can look into that, and he can look into laundry at reasonable times, or possibly putting a big rubber mat under the machines to cut down on vibration.

This isn't a weird thing that doesn't bother anybody but you, it's a pretty frequent annoyance and people have worked out procedures around it. My upstairs neighbor got the boot because she did laps until 4 am, stomping so hard my light fixtures rattled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

photomikey posted:

I think you're going to have to get used to regular apartment noises.

Like I said, I expect there to be noise living in an apartment. When your dishware starts rattling because their kid is bouncing around then thats a bit over the norm anyone should expect. I don't care if they stomp around up there all day, but we do have 'quiet hours' (our complex follows the city ordinance of 10pm to 7am no more than 25 db should be heard through the walls) and thats all I ask.

Anne Whateley posted:

If the dude got home from work at 6 he could do a load of laundry then. Doing laundry at 12:30 am is definitely unreasonable and not too much to ask him to stop. It is true, though, it doesn't bother everyone -- like I really like the repetitive white noise to fall asleep to -- so it's possible it's not bothering his family rather than him being an rear end in a top hat to them. It's also possible that because the vibration is mostly transmitted through the floor, you're getting it a lot more than they are.

Many apartments have a clause in the lease that x% of the floor must be carpeted. You can look into that, and he can look into laundry at reasonable times, or possibly putting a big rubber mat under the machines to cut down on vibration.

This isn't a weird thing that doesn't bother anybody but you, it's a pretty frequent annoyance and people have worked out procedures around it. My upstairs neighbor got the boot because she did laps until 4 am, stomping so hard my light fixtures rattled.

Thats my question too, why wait until 1230am to start the laundry? The issue with the laundry isnt so much the noise its the vibration. They put the laundry closet in the dead center of all the apartments and the vibrations go through the floor to all the rooms equally. I like a little white noise also and I have a white noise machine. I used to live in an apartment across a college, a bar, and down a house or two from all the frats and sorority houses and the noise of drunken college kids fighting in the street and partying all night didn't bug me.

We dont have that carpeting rule, however the bedrooms come already carpeted. So the noise from the stomping is coming from the living room only which is cool by me, I don't sleep in the living room.

The vibration mat thing is a good idea, I might suggest that tomorrow when they are coming through for an inspection (all the appliances are new and under warranty still so they make a big deal about changing the filters for us and jump on maintenance requests which is nice)

I talked to the management office and they agreed nobody should be doing laundry during quiet hours and that they'd write them a letter reminding them of the ordinance. They did say they knew he worked odd hours (I work swing shifts myself, and I'm on my 16 hour work day right now actually)
but they didn't think that would translate to them treating midnight like noon.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 17, 2018

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Jesus loving Christ let the people do their drat laundry when they please.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
do you vacuum at 2 am?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

As someone who works the graveyard shift and sleeps during the day, yes I will do my laundry and other house chores at 2 in the morning.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Jesus loving Christ let the people do their drat laundry when they please.

Seriously, this is the cost of apartment living. He’s not throwing a rave, he’s doing the wash, in a home he pays for. If you’re too drat tender to sleep through a wash, get some ear plugs and find a down payment.

Society requires all of us to deal with a little discomfort from time to time. Your neighbor does laundry at a sub-ideal time, and you drat sure do something just as annoying yourself.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Seriously, this is the cost of apartment living. He’s not throwing a rave, he’s doing the wash, in a home he pays for. If you’re too drat tender to sleep through a wash, get some ear plugs and find a down payment.

Society requires all of us to deal with a little discomfort from time to time. Your neighbor does laundry at a sub-ideal time, and you drat sure do something just as annoying yourself.

Am I not also paying for the 'quiet enjoyment' of a home I'm paying for? Why does he have more rights than me and should be allowed to disregard the apartment complex rules everyone else has to follow?

Ear plugs don't block your apartment from vibrating at midnight.

And actually I am looking to buy a home this year, as my lease ends in 3 or so months.

Also gently caress sake the reading comprehension in this thread. I said repeatedly that I understand apartment living comes with noise and then everyone comes in spouting 'you have to expect there's going to be noise in an apartment!'. Thanks I hadn't considered that.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Am I not also paying for the 'quiet enjoyment' of a home I'm paying for? Why does he have more rights than me and should be allowed to disregard the apartment complex rules everyone else has to follow?

And actually I am looking to buy a home this year, as my lease ends in 3 or so months.

Also gently caress sake the reading comprehension in this thread. I said repeatedly that I understand apartment living comes with noise and then everyone comes in spouting 'you have to expect there's going to be noise in an apartment!'. Thanks I hadn't considered that.

He’s just doing his laundry. It’s not actually a problem. Repeat this until you move out.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
'Quiet Enjoyment' has little do with an actual quiet environment. It's more to protect you from the landlord telling you how to live your life in your own house. So, perhaps it would more relevant for your midnight laundry neighbor than you.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

'Quiet enjoyment' is also balanced by a reasonableness test. It's not reasonable for your neighbor to play the tuba 24/7, so you would probably prevail in that situation. But, it's reasonable for him to walk around his apartment whenever he is home, and it is also reasonable for him to use the appliances provided in the apartment. Now, maybe those installations were poorly considered, but then it would likely be the duty of the landlord to mitigate (they can probably install some sort of pad or footing to reduce vibrations, anyway). But what you are describing is someone who is living in their apartment in a relatively normal way - it's unfortunate that it's disturbing you, but its not clear what is unreasonable about it.

You may also want to consider, as it sounds like this is a family, that discrimination against children and families is forbidden by federal (and most state) law. This means that your landlord may be pretty careful about penalizing someone in a way that looks like it is targeting or discriminatory toward a family because they sure do not want to lump that suit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

A lot of places will have quiet hours, 10pm to 6am or something, where you're not supposed to do things like laundry or have loudish music or whatever. And this is why. If your community has it, then ask them to enforce it. If not, you're boned.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A lot of places will have quiet hours, 10pm to 6am or something, where you're not supposed to do things like laundry or have loudish music or whatever. And this is why. If your community has it, then ask them to enforce it. If not, you're boned.

Blackchamber posted:

we do have 'quiet hours' (our complex follows the city ordinance of 10pm to 7am no more than 25 db should be heard through the walls) and thats all I ask.

Blackchamber posted:

Also gently caress sake the reading comprehension in this thread

lots of weirdly hot takes itt. No, it's not okay to do laundry at 1 am, just like it isn't okay to vacuum, break out the tuba, get into woodworking, practice juggling, or lift and drop weights. Just because something is in your apartment doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with it 24/7.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

lots of weirdly hot takes itt. No, it's not okay to do laundry at 1 am, just like it isn't okay to vacuum, break out the tuba, get into woodworking, practice juggling, or lift and drop weights. Just because something is in your apartment doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with it 24/7.

So you’re telling me that a washing machine on a different floor creates more than 25 dB of noise? Sounds like the landlord’s fault for supplying a faulty appliance, not the tenant’s problem. The OP’s issue seems to be with vibration, which is a separate issue from noise and not covered by quiet hours.

Also, god forbid I ever have such goddamn babies for neighbors. It’s a washing machine, not a marching band. Get over yourselves.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
whole lotta lovely neighbors itt

sorry it's not illegal for me to wash my doorknob and brick collection in my washer at midnight so you're just up poo poo creek pal!!!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have amazingly lovely upstairs neighbours and It's not like I am the unreasonable one, but you don't start drilling / do laundry / do your daily shouting match after midnight.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Sweet Custom Van posted:

So you’re telling me that a washing machine on a different floor creates more than 25 dB of noise? Sounds like the landlord’s fault for supplying a faulty appliance, not the tenant’s problem. The OP’s issue seems to be with vibration, which is a separate issue from noise and not covered by quiet hours.
25 db is seriously quiet. Even if he experiences the vibrations as the main problem, it almost certainly is also more than 25 db and therefore in violation of their lease.

You can switch to calling the neighbors entitled snowflakes now

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
when i lived in an upstairs apartment i would usually leave for work super early. apparently walking the few steps to my staircase/walking down the stairs would wake my bottom neighbor's child and they had trouble getting him to sleep after that, so when they told me about the problem i just started putting my boots on on my porch instead of upstairs. crazy how that works!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

when i lived in an upstairs apartment i would usually leave for work super early. apparently walking the few steps to my staircase/walking down the stairs would wake my bottom neighbor's child and they had trouble getting him to sleep after that, so when they told me about the problem i just started putting my boots on on my porch instead of upstairs. crazy how that works!

way to express basic consideration for the needs of others, loving owned and cucked :geno:

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

25 db is seriously quiet. Even if he experiences the vibrations as the main problem, it almost certainly is also more than 25 db and therefore in violation of their lease.

You can switch to calling the neighbors entitled snowflakes now

Until I bought my house, I lived in apartments for 15 years, and I’ve worked second or third shift for 7 of those. People have different schedules, but they don’t stop needing to do the same things you do. It is not unreasonable to do your laundry at midnight when that is your 9 am. It is not reasonable to expect a neighbor with a wildly different schedule to do things at the times -you- want him to do them at.

The point is not that the OP is a baby, though I maintain that he is behaving like one. The point is that you rent one place, your neighbor rents one on top of you, neither of you is perfectly comfortable, both of you are annoying. It is possible to live in harmony with your neighbors as soon as you realize that -apartment living requires everyone to suffer a little-.

I am still astounded by the idea that crying to your management company over the sound of a washing machine feels reasonable to anyone here.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The point is that in apartment living, you need to be a little flexible and thoughtful to coexist. Neighbor cannot do laundry at 1 am. That doesn't mean he needs to reverse his whole schedule and do it at noon. It means maybe he throws it on when he leaves for work instead of when he gets home, or maybe he does it on weekends, or maybe his partner with a normal schedule does it outside of quiet hours.

Similarly, if I practice the tuba and my neighbor works the night shift, I'm not gonna play it when he's asleep even though I have way more of a right to do so. We can talk and figure out what we can both live with.

Also, if you know you have a weird schedule or other unusual needs, maybe contemplate whether it's reasonable to sign your lease intending to violate it.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 18, 2018

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

The point is that in apartment living, you need to be a little flexible and thoughtful to coexist. Neighbor cannot do laundry at 1 am. That doesn't mean he needs to reverse his whole schedule and do it at noon. It means maybe he throws it on when he leaves for work instead of when he gets home, or maybe he does it on weekends, or maybe his partner with a normal schedule does it outside of quiet hours.

Similarly, if I practice the tuba and my neighbor works the night shift, I'm not gonna play it when he's asleep even though I have way more of a right to do so. We can talk and figure out what we can both live with.

Also, if you know you have a weird schedule or other unusual needs, maybe contemplate whether it's reasonable to sign your lease intending to violate it.

We just fundamentally disagree here on what is flexible, reasonable, and thoughtful. Apartments are noisy and everyone is annoying at least one of their neighbors by performing normal human activities. I think that, as long as the activities are reasonable and normal, like doing laundry or walking or watching television, it is on the annoyed party to accept “hey, things in life will annoy me”, and not on the person who is also just trying to live to change their behavior.

People who stick on “laundry during quiet hours” are the same kind of people who rat out coworkers for taking an occasional personal call and drop a dime to the HOA about who has an extra car in their driveway. Just move on with your own business and life becomes exponentially easier.

But I’m not going to convince you and you’re not going to convince me, so I’m going to quit making GBS threads up the thread!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

Because what you’re saying suggests you genuinely haven’t actually considered that.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I can see both points of view here, but comparing somebody who wants their upstairs to keep it down in the middle of the night to the office tattletale or some HOA tyrant is pretty unfair.

The people calling the OP a big baby are getting a little carried away, he's trying to get some sleep, it's not like he wants the quiet hours observed so his Vivaldi doesn't suffer.

That being said, I hated it the few times my weirdo man-child neighbor went crying to the landlord with his pretty grievances without ever talking to me first.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have never heard anyone else compare the noise of a laundry machine a floor away to something like loud music/stomping/etc.

The guy works night shift. Give him a break. He is constantly annoyed by everyone else noise during the day.

You cant expect someone to not use their laundry machine during their waking hours.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Seriously where do you guys live that a neighbor's washing machine is disruptive?

I mean my apartment is 20 years old and has identical floor plans stacked on top of each other, so laundry rooms are directly on top of each other. Even the apartment next door has a slightly different mirrored floor plan so the laundry room is next to my laundry room. I can't even tell that mine is running with the door closed.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Iron Crowned posted:

Seriously where do you guys live that a neighbor's washing machine is disruptive?

honestly, apartment behavior aside, it sounds like this place has piss poor sound insulation. If you want a physical solution it might be mounting some acoustic tiles on the ceiling in your bedroom (in a non-permanent, non-damaging way of course). Rugs are good insulation for floors, bookshelves (with books) for walls.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Also, god forbid I ever have such goddamn babies for neighbors. It’s a washing machine, not a marching band. Get over yourselves.

Yes I am telling you that. Vibration isn't a separate issue from noise, I'm not sure if you are aware there is a connection between vibration and sound at least until you get to the vacuum of space.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Because what you’re saying suggests you genuinely haven’t actually considered that.

I can see where you'd get that impression. I said that the neighbors stomp around and run creating noise which I didn't take issue with (in my consideration for the normal amount of noise) but when the stomping and running started to reach the level that my dishware started rattling in the cabinets and I felt that was overly excessive, you are saying still should be an acceptable level. What exactly are you suggesting should the threshold be for an unacceptable level of apartment neighbor noise be? Apparently right now the only point at which noise becomes worthy of complaint is when its 'a rave' or a 'marching band' upstairs, I'd like to hear your take also.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Yes I am telling you that. Vibration isn't a separate issue from noise, I'm not sure if you are aware there is a connection between vibration and sound at least until you get to the vacuum of space.

I can see where you'd get that impression. I said that the neighbors stomp around and run creating noise which I didn't take issue with (in my consideration for the normal amount of noise) but when the stomping and running started to reach the level that my dishware started rattling in the cabinets and I felt that was overly excessive, you are saying still should be an acceptable level. What exactly are you suggesting should the threshold be for an unacceptable level of apartment neighbor noise be? Apparently right now the only point at which noise becomes worthy of complaint is when its 'a rave' or a 'marching band' upstairs, I'd like to hear your take also.

So you have an unassailable legal right to refuse to be cool about other people living their lives in your immediate area. Go with God, adult human who can’t sleep over the sound of a washing machine, and make sure that the parents of a young child never have the audacity to live on a schedule that varies from your own. You should absolutely make a big deal about this for the three months in which you intend to continue living there and it is definitely the reasonable and rational answer. I was a fool to tell you otherwise.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sweet Custom Van posted:

So you have an unassailable legal right to refuse to be cool about other people living their lives in your immediate area. Go with God, adult human who can’t sleep over the sound of a washing machine, and make sure that the parents of a young child never have the audacity to live on a schedule that varies from your own. You should absolutely make a big deal about this for the three months in which you intend to continue living there and it is definitely the reasonable and rational answer. I was a fool to tell you otherwise.

I dont understand your argument. I asked before on the subject but why does him having a different schedule mean he has more rights or is allowed to disregard the complex's rules? Why do you ridicule me for not being more understanding of his situation, am I also not due any consideration and courtesy that merely following the rules would make unnecessary?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You know, that if you don't like having upstairs neighbors, you can always become the upstairs neighbor :getin:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blackchamber posted:

I dont understand your argument. I asked before on the subject but why does him having a different schedule mean he has more rights or is allowed to disregard the complex's rules? Why do you ridicule me for not being more understanding of his situation, am I also not due any consideration and courtesy that merely following the rules would make unnecessary?

Your complex has a rule not to run the washing machine at night?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
You know how you can hear people knocking on your door? Okay now imagine that but instead of a few knuckles it's a washing machine.

I'm assuming that it tilts to one side and then the other based on the torque of the internal spinner thing against the mass of clothes, like a table with one short leg. *CHOOK* *CHOOK* *CHOOK*

Landlord duty to replace it IMO

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

zapplez posted:

Your complex has a rule not to run the washing machine at night?

sorry to derail your narrative but a lot of complexes have rules about when you can make noise or how much noise is permissable.

i wouldn't have been allowed to bang my dishes around at my complex at 3 am, regardless of whether or not i was just doing something 'normal' like my dishes, and even if i was 'allowed' to i'm also not a brokenbrained idiot incapable of contextualizing my actions wrt when they occur during a normal person's day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Colorado, is a landlord allowed to do a full inspection when coming over for repairs? I’m not sure whether it’s that once you let them in they can do anything (like a vampire) or if they can only do what they said they were going to do.

Our faucet sprung a leak last night and the landlord came today to have it fixed. Apparently while he was there and we were gone he went through the whole place to inspect cleanliness. I kind of would like to know ahead of time if he’s coming into my bedroom so I can make sure I don’t have my underwear lying all over the place.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

sorry to derail your narrative but a lot of complexes have rules about when you can make noise or how much noise is permissable.

i wouldn't have been allowed to bang my dishes around at my complex at 3 am, regardless of whether or not i was just doing something 'normal' like my dishes, and even if i was 'allowed' to i'm also not a brokenbrained idiot incapable of contextualizing my actions wrt when they occur during a normal person's day.

If you think running your washing machine at midnight because you are a shift worker is broke brained, you are the tard.

HE CANT RUN IT DURING THE DAY HE IS AT WORK. Is he supposed to just forgoe washing his clothes?

And a clothes washer is about the absolute minimum of noise compared to loud music, shouting, stomping, etc.

This is a part of living in a multi-family building. Get used to it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

It isn't supposed to be part of living in their apartment building. You can tell because it's specifically against the rules of their apartment building.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am certain the rule isn't that you cant use your washing machine after a certain time of the day. Its so far from excessive noise. It's also a neccesity for people to have clean clothes, unlike playing a loud stereo

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The quietest washing machine brags about being 47 db, and his building's quiet hours limit is 25 db. Decibels are logarithmic so it's not even double, it's way more than that. It is excessive at 1 am.

His building has quiet hours for just 9 hours a day. Somewhere in the other 15 hours, you should be able to fit louder activities.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 19, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That raises a question I have been mulling over, but I'm considering it separately from Blackchamber's actual issue - he's already spoken with his complex, they said they would send the dude a letter, so it's sort of resolved until the next thing and I don't actually want to debate when is ok to play the tuba (it's always, you should never stop playing the tuba.)

Having said that, 25db is actually really, really quiet, I was trying to work out what that ranged at when it came up and the best I can do is that a 'normal conversation' ranges to 60db and a simple fan is around 40db. The closest I can find is that rice krispies are 30db and and 20db is a whisper (courtesy the less-crazy looking google results). It gets a little tricky depending on how and where you measure, but it suggests that if you can hear almost anything at all from your neighbor, even at the level of a whisper, they'd be in violation. I'm mostly surprised because that's apparently the local ordinance, not just the apartment block. It's basically set to a 'gently caress you' level where you can essentially always cite someone when you get a noise call unless you find out they're mimes or something. Our limit for overnight (11pm - 7am) is 50db for purely residential areas, barring permitted construction activities which can go up to 75db, and has really specific regulations on measurement. Most of the places I've lived don't even have a DB measure, just a plain-language standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anne Whateley posted:

The quietest washing machine brags about being 47 db, and his building's quiet hours limit is 25 db. Decibels are logarithmic so it's not even double, it's way more than that. It is excessive at 1 am.

His building has quiet hours for just 9 hours a day. Somewhere in the other 15 hours, you should be able to fit louder activities.

Its not 47 in his apartment as its through the walls, but the exact decibel volume isn't the issue. If you can't handle a neighbour using doing their laundry, life is going to be one hard, long trip.

This isn't construction /power tools. This isnt a loud stereo. This isn't screaming or stomping. Its a washing machine.