Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Increase the cheese factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N4tXf3Ensw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Came for the album art, stayed for the sweet death metal.

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/10/12/full-album-stream-outre-tombe-necrovortex/

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That art is definitely sweet, and the Die Hard version is less than 20 bucks. Got it on order

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Spanish Manlove posted:

power metal is so fuckin dorky that you can't help but love it sometimes

man, im old and i don't hate my dad anymore. i love dorky af power metal and silly folk metal. i still listen to death metal every now and then, and groove metal will always own, but gimme the lyrics about nothing important and goofy instruments any day.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

WoodrowSkillson posted:

man, im old and i don't hate my dad anymore. i love dorky af power metal and silly folk metal. i still listen to death metal every now and then, and groove metal will always own, but gimme the lyrics about nothing important and goofy instruments any day.

i like nihilistic themes where they're about "nothing is important"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Spanish Manlove posted:

i like nihilistic themes where they're about "nothing is important"

the title track of the next dragonforce album

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I could use some good recent power metal. RYM is showing only about 100 released in 2018, Rocka Rollas seems interesting. Powerwolf apparently has the highest rated/most rated PM album this year?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Noora's stage "look" is called Battle Bitch just lol if you don't love power metal

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Nazzadan posted:

I could use some good recent power metal. RYM is showing only about 100 released in 2018, Rocka Rollas seems interesting. Powerwolf apparently has the highest rated/most rated PM album this year?

Ironflame, a side project of Nechochwen and Obsequiae's drummer, had a great album last year and another great one this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSB3e64sUsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS4wkkjfAPc

I liked Manticora's new album even if it gets really modern-chug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhqZtxtqAoQ

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Cool, I'll check both of those

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nazzadan posted:

Rocka Rollas is good poo poo if you're into speed metal (who isn't?) and the guy behind it is an absolute loving madman when it comes to productivity.

Powerwolf I'm not a big fan of, though their older material has its moments (Werewolves of Armenia). They're basically Sabaton bitten by a radioactive Ghost.

Looking at the first page of that Rateyourmusic list, a few other choice picks from there:

Riot V - Armor of Light. There has to be something special about a metal band that's had a baby seal as their mascot since the 70s. Great USPM.
Monument - Hellhound They're more traditional heavy metal than power but worth checking out, even if this newest album wasn't quite up to par with their previous stuff.
Thaurorod - Coast of Gold Not much to say about this, other than it's solid, energetic euro power. Not too much keyboard cheese, no orchestral bloat.

Leaving the best for last, I'll have to plug Psychework - Karelian Hills. It's apparently a concept album about WW2 from the Soviet point of view. It is really loving melodramatic and emotional and larger-than-life. And also very, very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_sAecPORdQ

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Not my fault they don't get the concept of "fun".

this is the same logic that people use to defend like marvel superhero movies and other mind bendingly stupid things

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Sweet, I will have a very power filled evening tonight. I finished Rocka Rolla's latest release and it was great, ended up 4'ing it. Scrolling through page 1 I also see Hibria has a new album out, I had no idea.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

metal is real good

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bertrand Hustle posted:

metal is real good

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Is there a goon presence on RYM? I find it really nice for managing a backlog or just compulsively cataloging whatever I listen to
Username is /~Nazzadan

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nazzadan posted:

Scrolling through page 1 I also see Hibria has a new album out, I had no idea.

I saw that, but didn't dare to check it out. The nose dive that band took after their first two albums is the second greatest tragedy in power metal after Lost Horizon disbanding.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I haven't listened to them at all beyond those two, now I don't think I want to.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Nazzadan posted:

I haven't listened to them at all beyond those two, now I don't think I want to.

The bassist left after Skull Collectors and they never recovered.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Basically they ditched that fantastic oldschool sound of theirs with a much more modern one, complete with downtuned chugging guitars and all. Then they started doing prog or someshit.

Listen to Ancient Empire instead, they remind me of kinda like, a cross between old Hibria and Iron Savior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T4bGVPgOCY

Featuring the rare and elusive beast, Actually Audible Bass Guitar

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 18, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

this is the same logic that people use to defend like marvel superhero movies and other mind bendingly stupid things

I agree with you but also let's not pretend metal isn't mind bendingly stupid

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I discovered Korpiklaani the other day and it was real bad and not the kind of folk metal I was looking for

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want folk metal to be played entirely on traditional acoustic instruments, not just normal-rear end metal with a fiddle or tin horn or some poo poo.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

I want folk metal to be played entirely on traditional acoustic instruments, not just normal-rear end metal with a fiddle or tin horn or some poo poo.

how am i supposed to scoop mids on an acoustic?!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I still maintain that a folk metal show I went to a few years ago was the worst smelling venue I'd ever set foot in. So many white people with dreadlocks who took their shirts off. Ugh.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I bet each and every one of them was absolutely shredded with impeccable hygiene.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Folk metal rules but really maybe just Ensiferum's s/t and Iron.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah those two are the ensiferum albums to go for.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Victory Songs is pretty loving good to be fair, but unfortunately it's following those 2 up.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Snowy posted:

You might like Dordeduh, their album Dar deh Duh is excellent.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I agree with you but also let's not pretend metal isn't mind bendingly stupid

It is but there's stupid and then there's stupid and having some kind of standards is important or else your brain will dribble out of your ears when you go to an alestorm show or whatever

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snowy posted:

Grandpa guitars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A human heart posted:

your brain will dribble out of your ears when you go to an alestorm show or whatever

No, that's just because of the booze.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

If we re gonna call a music stupid, it's got to be metal

I mean, of all the stupid musics out there that take 0 skill to play and 0 skill to make, I bet metal is the most prominent one in terms of stupidity right?

ha-ha

but joking aside, folk metal is p. uncool imo. Folk music (the real thing) is good sometimes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nazzadan posted:

Folk metal rules but really maybe just Ensiferum's s/t and Iron.

You're missing some fuckin' Skyclad, man.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Groke posted:

You're missing some fuckin' Skyclad, man.

That's nwobhm tho, Skyclad and korpiklanni are not the same thing. Skyclad are loving awesome beyond measure whereas korpiklaani and eluveitie and every band like them are virtually nothing.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
All music is dumb; it's just wiggly air.

On power metal, I've tried to get into it a few times now but it never sticks. At best I'll find a song or two that stick out to me, such as Metal Church's Metal Church from the album Metal Church.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

bare bottom pancakes posted:

On power metal, I've tried to get into it a few times now but it never sticks.

Whenever I decide to try that I just end up listening to Nightfall in Middle Earth a bunch more times.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Mr. Pickles posted:

That's nwobhm tho, Skyclad and korpiklanni are not the same thing.

I'd put Skyclad (at least the first couple albums) more in the thrash/speed corner than NWOBHM, but that's just me.

Other worthwhile folk metal might include stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G25ZWp7C7yA

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klMZcowalPI

Or why the hell not this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzkCGfy9QtI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Not exactly my cup of tea but the LUMSK link is cool, I will listen to it thoroughly later :)

My fave "folk" band would be Ulver I believe