Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Alien3, play Spot the Prisoner:

https://youtu.be/CEJgRvkhp10

I still don't believe Vincent exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has anyone listened to the Audible dramas of Out of the Shadows or River of Pain? Any good?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Out of the Shadows is well executed, the Ripley soundalike is real good and the narrative is easy to follow. It’s still got the same awkward plot contrivances (it’s a Ripley story set between Alien and Aliens) but it makes it work.

I have River of Pain but haven’t gotten around to listening to it yet.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

it’s a Ripley story set between Alien and Aliens.

How can that possibly work?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ripley ends up getting picked up by some mining ship, they find some aliens, then she gets drugged or bonked in the head and forgets everything.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Ripley ends up getting picked up by some mining ship, they find some aliens, then she gets drugged or bonked in the head and forgets everything.
Basically yeah. At the end of the story she elects to get drugged and forget everything because it was so traumatic. Little did she know what life had in store for her!

Before people go blaming the author for the wacky contrived premise, the book's plot was mandated by FOX. They wanted a prequel-sequel Ripley story and hired Tim Lebbon to write it, gave him a basic plot outline, and said "make it work". And despite the premise, the book actually plays out better than you'd expect.

I forgot, the third Alien audio drama Alien: Sea of Sorrows came out this past Alien Day. I'm going on a cross-country flight this Friday, I'll likely try and give at least one of the audiobooks a listen on the plane.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I always have to wonder how exactly these writers get these jobs? I mean, I don't think Fox puts out fuckin' job postings for Alien book writers, do they?

(if they do, send one my way, please)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure they have a division that focuses on alternative media projects and people pitch it to them or they license it out. It’s probably a pretty good return on investment.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Basically yeah. At the end of the story she elects to get drugged and forget everything because it was so traumatic. Little did she know what life had in store for her!

Before people go blaming the author for the wacky contrived premise, the book's plot was mandated by FOX. They wanted a prequel-sequel Ripley story and hired Tim Lebbon to write it, gave him a basic plot outline, and said "make it work". And despite the premise, the book actually plays out better than you'd expect.

I forgot, the third Alien audio drama Alien: Sea of Sorrows came out this past Alien Day. I'm going on a cross-country flight this Friday, I'll likely try and give at least one of the audiobooks a listen on the plane.

Sea of sorrows is a place in Guild Wars! Man that's got to be a crazy book! :haw:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I always have to wonder how exactly these writers get these jobs? I mean, I don't think Fox puts out fuckin' job postings for Alien book writers, do they?

(if they do, send one my way, please)
A combination of 'who you know' and 'established author who might be interested in side work for cash'. I've written a movie tie-in novel (I knew the commissioning editor through my journalism work) and was later offered the chance to write an Uncharted book, but didn't have time because I was busy with my own novels.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Payndz posted:

A combination of 'who you know' and 'established author who might be interested in side work for cash'. I've written a movie tie-in novel (I knew the commissioning editor through my journalism work) and was later offered the chance to write an Uncharted book, but didn't have time because I was busy with my own novels.

Well don’t leave us hanging, what was the movie tie-in?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Paul Blart

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenomrph posted:

Well don’t leave us hanging, what was the movie tie-in?

The Human Centipede.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Plot twist: Payndz is Alan Dean Foster.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Shawshank Redemption II

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I started listening to out of the shadows and you know what...the contrivance that brings Ripley into the plot? I can buy it. :hmmyes:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I started listening to out of the shadows and you know what...the contrivance that brings Ripley into the plot? I can buy it. :hmmyes:

The contrivance that brings her into the plot isn’t the problem, it’s how they make it not contradict ‘Aliens’. :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah.

Just use Ripley 8. Say she got her memory back or whatever. Have fun with it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I think I read an interview with SD Perry once where she was describing a publisher event or something similar. Someone asked her "What do you do?", she replied "I am a writer" and they asked "I meant what do you do for work?", because the thought of actually living off of writing was... alien to them.

I'm gonna guess that she does what Rob Liefield an Ridley Scott does, which is deliver stuff on time, according to spec and under budget. Do that, and work will come your way.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got the new Dan Abnett book, Aliens Predator Prometheus AVP: The Complete Life and Death, which is a really nice oversized hardcover with a pretty fun and semi-long story arc that's basically the Prometheus Engineers, the Xenomorph, the Predator, and a bunch of Marines mashing together. It's nothing all that mindblowing but I found it fun enough and the art was pretty neat all around! Well worth it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xenomrph posted:

Other than the contrived ending, that was a really good Aliens novel. It's one of the best I've read.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Taintrunner posted:

I got the new Dan Abnett book, Aliens Predator Prometheus AVP: The Complete Life and Death, which is a really nice oversized hardcover with a pretty fun and semi-long story arc that's basically the Prometheus Engineers, the Xenomorph, the Predator, and a bunch of Marines mashing together. It's nothing all that mindblowing but I found it fun enough and the art was pretty neat all around! Well worth it.
If you weren't aware, that's a sequel to the 'Aliens/Predator/Prometheus/AvP: Fire and Stone' series, and carries over a few characters. It's obviously not required reading, but it's still neat. I like both Fire & Stone and Life & Death for different reasons, and they've each got their own problems.

Fire & Stone was done by 4 different creative teams, and it actually feels like 4 narratives (Aliens, Predator, AvP, and Prometheus) that intersect at times. The four stories are varied and do some really interesting things, like exploring how LV-233, the planet from Prometheus, is orbiting the same planet that LV-426 orbits, or what happens when a Predator gets exposed to the Black Goo (it's pretty loving crazy!), or what effect the released Black Goo had on LV-233 in the years/decades after 'Prometheus', among others. The downside is there wasn't a lot of cohesive collaboration between the four creative teams, and there were some story rewrites and things that kind of muddied the production of the series as a whole, and the ending isn't that strong.

Life & Death was all written by Dan Abnett so it's a lot more cohesive, but at the same time it sort of plays out like a 12-part series rather than 4 distinct narratives which is a little unfortunate, and there are parts that feel either too abrupt and don't have a satisfying payoff, or are really padded out. The very last page is real fuckin' goofy, too. It heavily implies that the Engineers can time-travel.

mllaneza posted:

Other than the contrived ending, that was a really good Aliens novel. It's one of the best I've read.
Seek out Alien: The Cold Forge. It's widely considered not just the best Alien novel to date, but just an all around good book. The AvP "community" is really, really hoping that more Alien/Predator work gets thrown the author's way.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Basically yeah. At the end of the story she elects to get drugged and forget everything because it was so traumatic. Little did she know what life had in store for her

I finished the audio drama and it was pretty enjoyable, however I have a minor correction, Ripley didnt agree to the mind wipe. Her shipmates decided it for her when they put her in the heal-o-tube, and then I believe Ash takes it a step further and mind wipes her even harder. Pretty convenient but what are you gonna do...I did like Ash as a villain, Rutger Hauer did a good job.

Another thing...I wasn't expecting Ripley to get as hosed up as she did, I mean, she's Ripley in an EU story. So that was interesting!

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 10, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

I didn't know they were still releasing hardcover Alien novels with 450+ pages. :eyepop:

Xenomrph posted:

Seek out Alien: The Cold Forge. It's widely considered not just the best Alien novel to date, but just an all around good book. The AvP "community" is really, really hoping that more Alien/Predator work gets thrown the author's way.

I just might give this a shot the next time I need to fly around the country.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.screengeek.net/2018/10/09/alien-tv-series-streaming-service/

Do we think this is real?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can we trust someone who goes by "Mr H Reviews"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

If true, I just had a crotch burster.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xenomrph posted:

I'm a few chapters in, and yeah, a W-Y auditor is more ruthless than a xenomorph, and by a wide margin. This author needs more work.

e. Finished it. This is a good novel and pretty much peak Alien. It gets super dark, very nasty, and the auditor makes Carter Burke look like Willie Loman. It really boils down to an exceedingly ugly conflict between him and Dr. Marsalis, who is no humanitarian either - although less psychotic. 5 stars, will binge-read again.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 19, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

An Alien TV series could definitely work, but then again, Disney owns the IP now, so I wouldn't put too much stock into the quality of the show if it happens.

mllaneza posted:

a W-Y auditor is more ruthless than a xenomorph, and by a wide margin.

Think of all the interesting and hosed up poo poo they could do with Weyland Corp in a TV series; everything from auditing, cloning, slave-labor/sweatshops, a monopoly, bioweapons, etc. I think one of the reasons why the Alien series resonates so well with people is because of how the Weyland Corp mirrors late-stage capitalism in America today.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jonesy is getting his own book! :kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

My partner just came home from work with a copy of this book for me.

Its pretty good.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx_W498FdjA

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I have no faith that anyone can do this series good anymore. A TV show would probably be focused on marines and be terrible. A slow burn series would be fantastic, but that'd probably never happen. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You couldn’t have xenos all the time either, otherwise it would weaken them as an enemy. 1st season you should only have one used sparingly, to drive home their danger.

For a series, I’d have something like the fall of Hadley’s Hope, stretched out long term.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't think the show would work for more than a single season, I think a smaller 6-10 episode mini series could work.

But yeah, don't bring in the Xenos until like halfway through.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Do an anthology show. Each season tells a new story. That way you can have your "Aliens" like season and your Alien 3 season where everyone dies and all the fan boys never get over it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

The_Doctor posted:

You couldn’t have xenos all the time either, otherwise it would weaken them as an enemy.
Actually, have xenos all the time by making it a nature show with a lot of various expedition and observation footage and xenodroid telemetry and interviews with xenobiologists and xenoecologists and marines and roboticists and the xenodroids themselves.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I think the only story you can really tell at this point, especially for a TV show, is how humanity deals with the Xenomorph being a harvested organism. From militarizing the Xenomorph to turning it into a musical instrument, there's just so many stories you could tell, and injecting the Predator into the mix? You could tell some actually interesting stories, admittedly most of them being adaptations of the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Personally, I'd be down for the David show. Starring David.