Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Just think, if folks had waited a day they could have gotten the small own on Trump they were so desperate for without circling the wagons over a dumbass move that helped no one at best and harmed discourse around Native issues otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, its like the toad dick thing. While enjoyable as a bit of Bread and Circus, it didn't have any political or material impact.

Oh I don’t think it’s anything else. I just think the idea that “Trump can’t be owned, nothing sticks” is silly. He clearly can be, it’s just that most of the people who try aren’t credible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh I don’t think it’s anything else. I just think the idea that “Trump can’t be owned, nothing sticks” is silly. He clearly can be, it’s just that most of the people who try aren’t credible.

But if all these owns are politically meaningless, who cares if someone can get one to stick or not?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I just think the idea that “Trump can’t be owned, nothing sticks” is silly.

The "grab them by the pussy" tape happened a month before the election and yet, he is President.

Maybe it's not as silly as you think and we should focus our attention on building a positive message to vote for instead of trying to attempt weak rear end burns.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

There's something to be said for being "good" at social media and most older politicians are not good at it. Trump is good at it, although he has the advantage of being a rotten person with no set moral beliefs.

It's like schoolyard taunting. There's an art to it.

And also, Wampalord is right. Focus on promoting yourself and not trying to burn the other side.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

But if all these owns are politically meaningless, who cares if someone can get one to stick or not?

Because I think that the argument that “Trump is untouchable” implicitly puts him in this power position that’s unwarranted. There’s this idea that he can’t be defeated and nothing matters, when the real problem is that so many of his opponents are guilty of things he is and can’t credibly attack him.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Because I think that the argument that “Trump is untouchable” implicitly puts him in this power position that’s unwarranted. There’s this idea that he can’t be defeated and nothing matters, when the real problem is that so many of his opponents are guilty of things he is and can’t credibly attack him.

Credible attacks don't matter, that's the point. If that worked then Barbara Lee or John Lewis would have been able to easily launch a credible attack (as they're not guilty) and defeated Trump.

Politics has never worked on the basis of who makes the most credible argument. Trump won't be defeated by speeches or tweets. Trump will be defeated by political action or at worse, disease.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You can't get a scandal to stick because his supporters don't care and his party has no integrity. They're getting the policy they want, and unless they finally get punished for it they don't care that the dog whistle is a bullhorn for the next two (please god no) plus years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I will concede this argument to you all.

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/raniakhalek/status/1052223460188061696?s=21

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/ap/status/1052279248269000704?s=21

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1052295714900971521

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
What did the Warren team expect to come out of this?

"Ha! 1/64! Maybe! Or maybe 1/1024! But it's there baby! Eat poo poo Trump!"
>Trump purses lips<
"Fake Indian. Pocahontas."
>Trump approval rises 2%

I like EW but man, this was dumb as gently caress, totally unnecessary, and makes you and your team look like a bunch of nitwit morons. I wonder what the mood at Warren HQ is right now. There's no way to take this back, no way to make it look like anything other than what it was: Punching yourself in the face at the behest of your enemy. Now if you run her against him instead of "her emails" it's "her smoke signals." Great loving job all round, paid consultants. You really showed 'em!

Maybe... just maybe... you can't beat a fire with wood? I dunno. Let's keep trying. More wood. Pretty soon someone will own his rear end so bad he'll die in the past and we'll be spared this nightmare! Let's come up with a nickname for him... "Dangerous Donald?" Come on, let's have a huddle session! We'll find that one true Twitter burn any time now that will convince people he's poo poo!

>500 more conservative judges confirmed, 13th Amendment repealed, oceans boil, humanity dies<

One last, croaking voice from the ashes: "What... about... coff... 'Deadly Donald?' That will... coff... coff... resonate..."

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

This is reprehensible

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So what's to stop the voters from passing the same thing again? I mean after voting the city council out of course.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

So what's to stop the voters from passing the same thing again? I mean after voting the city council out of course.

My conspiracy theory on those ballot initiatives is that they are goodies that the democratic base (unions, nonprofits, party appendages) dangles like a shiny bauble so voters come to the polls. They certainly don't care about their duly elected representatives.

A miscalculation in 2016 was the democrat base thinking that the election was a lock and not offering any goodies. This year alone in Missouri they are getting 2 referenda to legalize pot, a minimum wage increase, and an initiative to ban lobbyist gifts and lower campaign contribution ceilings.

Basically, voters won't be offered the same thing again. It was just a gimmick to get them to the polls.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Ezra Klein did a great job of summarizing a lot of the systemic issues we're staring down the barrel of right now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zil posted:

To get a voter proposition on the ballot in DC, you need to gather signatures from 5% of the registered voters in each ward of the city. This means having a fair number of people spending their day going door-to-door gathering signatures in an organized and coordinated effort - which, in most cases, means spending money. Doing it again requires blowing even more electoral resources and energy on stuff that's already been passed once.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The restaurant industry mobilised huge numbers of workers to go to council meetings and beg that this not be approved because it would be a pay cut for them. I assume by implying or outright saying that no one will tip anymore which is a straight-up lie.

But after the vote, restaurants ratcheted up the pressure on the council really really hard and almost no one showed up to argue in favor of the the measure that was already approved by the majority of the city.

It's classic local politics hardball with lots of dishonesty and misleading info behind the scenes, because restaurants desperately don't want to be on the hook for fair compensation.

Zil posted:

The DC council is incredibly uncompetetive. The primaries get no attention and the Democrat on the ticket wins in pretty much every ward. I'd bet not a single person running again loses their seat over this.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How dare trump even think of grabbing women by the p word

Because no male on this earth has ever said something to their boys lile "yo dude she sucked my poo poo from the back shes an ANIMAL BRO"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

LeoMarr posted:

Because no male on this earth has ever said something to their boys lile "yo dude she sucked my poo poo from the back shes an ANIMAL BRO"

Sir, this is a Wendy's

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

LeoMarr posted:

Not sure if this is serious or not, but you realize the difference between them, right?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Not sure if this is serious or not, but you realize the difference between them, right?

Do not talk to the fascist like they're people.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

One big systemic issue is the tendency of Democrats and leftists to ascribe their political failures to systemic issues, as if this lame excuse means they can shirk responsibility. Yes, there are problems with our democratic institutions and system of government; no, that does not excuse your total failure to present your voters with a worthwhile ideological platform and to act on an attractive, clearly articulated governing agenda.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Details from the Ellison divorce records were reported in the media. No evidence of abuse from Keith, but apparently those records allege that he, himself, was a victim of physical abuse. They really should have kept those records sealed. :(

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Pretty sure people still tip in states (like California) that don't have tipped wages. This is ridiculous.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

King of Solomon posted:

Details from the Ellison divorce records were reported in the media. No evidence of abuse from Keith, but apparently those records allege that he, himself, was a victim of physical abuse. They really should have kept those records sealed. :(

As a guy who was also in the receiving end of spousal abuse I can understand why this would seem embarrassing.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Lambert posted:

Pretty sure people still tip in states (like California) that don't have tipped wages. This is ridiculous.

Yeah, they do. It was a naked money grab by the industry

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

A lot of media coverage of the allegations sure is going to look silly!!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

King of Solomon posted:

I still feel very conflicted about this. IDK.

Did he say he wasn't seeking reelection?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

kidkissinger posted:

He’s running for Minnesota AG last I checked.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/10/trump-changes-terminal-dues-and-epacket-rates/573337/

Trump is trashing established rules surrounding package shipping to try and go after Chinese and other international sellers in the US. It seems like a wash; bad for international relations, minor benefits to small businesses, a big hand out to Amazon and bad for consumers.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

One big systemic issue is the tendency of Democrats and leftists to ascribe their political failures to systemic issues, as if this lame excuse means they can shirk responsibility. Yes, there are problems with our democratic institutions and system of government; no, that does not excuse your total failure to present your voters with a worthwhile ideological platform and to act on an attractive, clearly articulated governing agenda.
Oh, Democrats are loving awful, and a lot of this is their fault, too. They stood out of the way and let all this happen in the name of :decorum:. They're garbage.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Thanatosian posted:

Oh, Democrats are loving awful, and a lot of this is their fault, too. They stood out of the way and let all this happen in the name of :decorum:. They're garbage.

Eh, even decorum is giving them too much credit I'm not willing to give them. In their deepest, heart of hearts they knew what was going on when the sold out organized labor for a buck and told the middle class "go gently caress yourself, I have to chase those billionaire donor dollars".

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Lightning Knight posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/10/trump-changes-terminal-dues-and-epacket-rates/573337/

Trump is trashing established rules surrounding package shipping to try and go after Chinese and other international sellers in the US. It seems like a wash; bad for international relations, minor benefits to small businesses, a big hand out to Amazon and bad for consumers.
Not really a handout to amazon, a lot of the sellers are on AZ as third parties; instead of getting the free percentage of all those sales they have to do all the work themselves now. It's probably a wash for them in the end. Big fuckyou to ebay who has a massive contingent of asian parcel post sales.

Probably good for US businesses who can't even give their stuff away because shipping it domestically costs more than the total price from Asia.

It's been a source of conflict for quite a while, specifically from small US webshops who have been asking for the international rate to be at least as much as the domestic rate.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah Trump isn't going to deliberately do anything that would help Amazon.

In other news, WaPo reports that the White House is working with the House of Saud to come up with an explanation that doesn't implicate MBS, so the next few days should be interesting. I don't think its possible to spin this in a way that even the Republicans in Congress will be willing to hide behind, not based on the rhetoric we've seen so far.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

kidkissinger posted:

While it hasn't been updated for the divorce records, this write-up that I saw posted in another thread is a pretty good summary of the situation. It's a really awkward situation, but it actually does look like Monahan is lying.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

King of Solomon posted:

While it hasn't been updated for the divorce records, this write-up that I saw posted in another thread is a pretty good summary of the situation. It's a really awkward situation, but it actually does look like Monahan is lying.

This is pretty wild tbh. I really, really want to believe that Keith Ellison is innocent and not bad but I also am wary.

edit:

there are different levels of "not bad."

quote:

I am convinced, for what it’s worth, that Keith Ellison is a terrible boyfriend and that his personal life is an absolute dumpster fire.

lmao

Edit 2: holy poo poo

quote:

The other bit that came out this week is that Karen Monahan’s lawyer is a guy named Andrew Parker — formerly the boss of Doug Wardlow.

Doug Wardlaw is Ellison's opponent for AG.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 18, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loving :yikes: at that letter she sent to Keith's current girlfriend.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Doug Wardlaw is Ellison's opponent for AG.

'GOP operative' indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

'GOP operative' indeed.

I suspect that it's like Juanita Brodderick, i.e. she's not necessarily a Republican and (perceives herself to) has some kind of legitimate grievance but is being used as a tool by Republicans. Unlike Juanita Brodderick, I think Monahan is a lot less credible at this point.

• Locked thread