Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why did no one ever try paracavalry?

Beyond the obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Maybe they did and covered up the results.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the germans did actually have little horses on their ju88 planes when attacking the netherlands. they died horribly

they also used horse cavalry during that invasion btw!

correction: meant ju 52

Davincie fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 17, 2018

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I mean, guys, do I need to explain where the term "horsepower" comes from?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Davincie posted:

the germans did actually have little horses on their ju88 planes when attacking the netherlands. they died horribly

I desperately need to know more about this.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the idea was that the ju 52s (had the wrong type earlier) would land on captured airfields and open fields loaded up with paratroopers, small artillery/at pieces (gebirgs geschütz 36, leichtes infanterie geschutz 18, pak 35/36s and various captured skoda pieces) and various other equipment. the little horses, haflinger pony's, were hung in some of the junkers on a pulley system so they could carry the artillery pieces for the airborne troops after landing. a large amount of the ju52s got shot down. a considerable amount that actually landed on airfields weren't very lucky either, as they crashed into each other on landing due to the airfields being sabotaged or simply not even being finished yet! (german forces had overestimated the dutch military in that regard) either way, the poor sods on board and their horses often died horribly. later when digging up one of the planes they apparently found the skeleton of one of the lil pony's still stuck in its pulley. probably in more of them considering how many crashed, but i only saw it mentioned in the written report of one

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

GHOST_BUTT posted:

This game is already basically a logistics simulator and I'm all for anything that keeps the AI from blotting out the sun with ten thousand airplanes.

The English Channel and that bit of sea by Jutland always turns into an Ace Combat-esque arena where everyone and their mom feeds fighters from biplanes to the latest jet fighters into the meatgrinder for no reason.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

They say boats will be the largest consumer of fuel, so it might not actually have that big of an impact on the air war. I'm interested in seeing how they balance it.

Late war the allies had total air superiority, and that's partially because the axis just couldn't afford to fly the planes they had left.

Not related but does anyone else feel that hoi4 has a problem with the war not being long enough? I never feel like any of the wars I fight are as protracted and epic as the real ww2. When you're fighting most countries it feels like there comes a single decisive moment and then they just collapse, there isn't the sense that "oh hey it's 1943 and the axis are clearly going to lose but there's still a long road to get there". At least for me. Might be because the AI isn't much of a challenge to a human who knows anything about history?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
in my experience you get better results if you use the custom difficulty sliders to boost Germany as the core defense bonus really helps them after you’ve ground their offensive capability away

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I also like the toolpack mod, as it lets you grant nations extra divisions if you think they aren't doing well enough. Like if Russia is getting absolutely bowled over, you can give them an extra 50 infantry divisions to help them shore up their defenses.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh hell yeah I came back from vacation/work travel and was gonna ask for a Halloween thread title, looks like mods already got us covered :yeah:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
They'll have to carefully balance fuel consumption between Air and Sea units, ships are already kinda poo poo as it is compare to a bomber swarm.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

With Fuel being added as A Thing I'll probably continue my recent trend of not bothering to research or build planes and instead just put AA in all of my divisions, because managing planes is a chore.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

With Fuel being added as A Thing I'll probably continue my recent trend of not bothering to research or build planes and instead just put AA in all of my divisions, because managing planes is a chore.

Eh, AA doesn't give you nearly as big an advantage as a proper fighter/CAS airforce does. Me using my airforce and the AI putting all of it on naval bombing is probably the only reason I can beat the entire Axis head-on as democratic France.

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 18, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do you plan for your soldiers to pull the AA guns behind their bikes? :v:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It sounds like the fuel consumption of land units is going to be relatively minor. Considering that the go-to land strategy is already to rely mostly on infantry with small armored breakthrough forces to carry out encirclements, I don't think it's going to have much effect on land combat. Except maybe the people who put a heavy tank in every division.

It sounds like Man the Guns is going to make naval play more interesting, but it's still missing something crucial: a reason for naval to matter.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

I've taken to just attaching fighters and CAS to my armies because moving them along with an advance is the very worst and shuffling fighters around at home whenever I get a notification that I've lost air superiority in one of my owned territories. The attached wings mostly figure their own poo poo out although sometimes I do have to micromanage where they base themselves.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Just play a non-European nation and you'll have to move your planes maybe once or twice in the entire game

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think if the enemy has air superiority then it does something terrible to the speed of your divisions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think if the enemy has air superiority then it does something terrible to the speed of your divisions.
Not if you have AA :eng101:

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I've taken to just attaching fighters and CAS to my armies because moving them along with an advance is the very worst and shuffling fighters around at home whenever I get a notification that I've lost air superiority in one of my owned territories. The attached wings mostly figure their own poo poo out although sometimes I do have to micromanage where they base themselves.

This plus using air wings of size 50 or so means they'll not lose much efficiency and make use of the 200 size bases that you take over.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Yeah, that works pretty well for me. My only problem is either a) My offensive will move faster than they do and they spend half their time transferring up to closer bases, or b) they decide that most of the army is still in Southern France and do missions there, ignoring the battles that army is also fighting in Northern France. As a result, I do quite often add 4-5 manually-based fighter/bomber CAS wings around my main theatre just to ensure that my boys are covered.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

It sounds like Man the Guns is going to make naval play more interesting, but it's still missing something crucial: a reason for naval to matter.

How is this missing? Against certain nations if you can gain naval superiority then you can basically do whatever you want.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Randarkman posted:

How is this missing? Against certain nations if you can gain naval superiority then you can basically do whatever you want.
If Germany times it right they can invade England while literally not owning a navy (other than convoys). Replace Germany with China and England with Japan and its the same story.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

If Germany times it right they can invade England while literally not owning a navy (other than convoys). Replace Germany with China and England with Japan and its the same story.

Yes, but aren't they taking steps in this patch to combat that?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Randarkman posted:

Yes, but aren't they taking steps in this patch to combat that?
Oh, maybe, but I havent looked close enough at the new mechanics with that in mind so I cant say for sure.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

kaiserreich .8 is out

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kaiserreich/comments/9pcvvj/kaiserreich_alpha_08_divided_states_is_out/

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

it hasnt hit Steam yet, I just subscribed to the new mod location and it just downloaded 0.7.2

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

it hasnt hit Steam yet, I just subscribed to the new mod location and it just downloaded 0.7.2

Can you tell what version it is without starting the game?

edit: oh the page doesn't even SAY it's been updated, last update september lol

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Changing everything navy right before the base game does sounds very kaiserreich.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Can you tell what version it is without starting the game?

edit: oh the page doesn't even SAY it's been updated, last update september lol

Well that too I guess but I loaded it up and the main menu said 0.7.2 :shrug:

OddObserver posted:

Changing everything navy right before the base game does sounds very kaiserreich.

"right before"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Considering the game is gonna have been out for 2 and a half years when MTG releases, a few months is basically "right before".

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

what actually sounds very kaiserreich is them blowing up central america and starting over, replacing or expanding half the focus trees, redoing naval tech trees and then having the balls to claim old saves will work

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

what actually sounds very kaiserreich is them blowing up central america and starting over, replacing or expanding half the focus trees, redoing naval tech trees and then having the balls to claim old saves will work

Is the new DLC gonna change naval doctrines? I feel like they're kinda good but I dunno.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is the new DLC gonna change naval doctrines? I feel like they're kinda good but I dunno.

Uh it has nothing to do with the DLC, they changed a lot of poo poo and I've yet to have a save game work when KR udpates ever

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

Uh it has nothing to do with the DLC, they changed a lot of poo poo and I've yet to have a save game work when KR udpates ever

Sorry, I was kind of changing the subject.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The way you design and build ships has changed so I imagine the naval tech trees will aos be changing to match. We've not really seen any of it in previews yet though.

I imagine that even if the doctrines remain the same structurally the effects each one provides will be getting a once over as well.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
naval doctrines are currently completely irrelevant chaff so even if they don't change a thing about the actual doctrine techs themselves, they'll essentially be new

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Cease to Hope posted:

naval doctrines are currently completely irrelevant chaff so even if they don't change a thing about the actual doctrine techs themselves, they'll essentially be new

I dunno, I feel like taking all the sub doctrines turns my 3 sub wolfpacks into undetectable convoy-destroying terminators, but maybe that's just against the ai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Cease to Hope posted:

mostly chaff sure, but there are some very powerful bonuses like fleet in being's branch that gives battleships huge buffs to org, armor, and mission efficiency or the carrier efficiency in base strike letting fleets go up to 6 instead of 4 carriers