Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Alright y'all, thanks for providing the bad news :( I thought this was the only conclusion, I just wanted to hear it from internet strangers so I knew it was unbiased. Worst bit is my other friend found out his doggo has a brain tumor and has to be put down this morning, so thats two of my puppers' friends they're losing this week. This is a sad week.

Brought my boys to the office with me today to keep away the sads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'd personally hire a dog behaviorist for something as important as this. There's lots of room for interpretation and nuance in these situations.

Example: some guy said his dog bit him in his hand (bleeding) and was worried it would happen again. Turns out he tried to take a freshly caught bird out of the dog's mouth, dog wouldn't have it. Dogs don't like it when you steal their stuff, and this was a (small) hunting breed, so instinct played a big role as well.

If this had been a breed that was made for fighting like your friend's dog, the story would have probably been more serious.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I mean honestly that's where I was hoping this could go, because it was really out of character for the dog and it's a dog he's had for years and years, and I think that something about someone coming in the front AND back door at the time freaked him out; there's also a new dog in the house who hasn't been fixed yet, who was in a separate room, so it's just a bunch of weird confusing stuff for the dog going on.

But at the same time my friend is still like a bit traumatized from it all so it's hard to imagine a way back, plus they don't really have tons of cash to throw at dog behavioralists (if they did they would have about their other dog's behavior already)

I don't know I just want all the puppers to be happy and safe :(

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I adopted a dog in June and she’s great, but recently she’s developed a problem and idk what to do.

She’s a three-years-old Shar Pei and Pittbull mix. She is well trained, but stubborn. There’s two behavior issues I’m working on; she’s a beggar when it comes to people food and likes to jump.

The new problems have come the past three weeks or so. She’s gotten attached to me. Like, REALLY attached. I’m rarely out of her sight if I’m home.
I’m talking if I wake up at 2 a.m. she comes to the bathroom with me. If I go get a drink, so does she. When I leave she sits and stares at the door or out the window until I come back. Even when my roommate is home. She also sleeps touching me now instead of just near me.

It didn’t used to be this way.

She also won’t eat if I’m not home. If I don’t put her food down early enough before I leave for work she doesn’t eat until I get home. It’s making it real hard to feed her twice a day.

It also didn’t used to be like this.

Also she’s started peeing. Once I just took her out, she peed, I went to the gas station for 9 minutes, she had peed on the floor. She hides when I come in so she loving knows she’s not supposed to.

What’s going on?
What can I do?
I’m especially worried about the not eating when I’m not home thing because at the end of the month I’m going to a wedding for four days and she’s being watched by a friend. (At his house)

E: forgot to pay my advice tax

https://m.imgur.com/Pp9ZCju

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 17, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I adopted a dog in June and she’s great, but recently she’s developed a problem and idk what to do.

She’s a three-years-old Shar Pei and Pittbull mix. She is well trained, but stubborn. There’s two behavior issues I’m working on; she’s a beggar when it comes to people food and likes to jump.

The new problems have come the past three weeks or so. She’s gotten attached to me. Like, REALLY attached. I’m rarely out of her sight if I’m home.
I’m talking if I wake up at 2 a.m. she comes to the bathroom with me. If I go get a drink, so does she. When I leave she sits and stares at the door or out the window until I come back. Even when my roommate is home. She also sleeps touching me now instead of just near me.

It didn’t used to be this way.

She also won’t eat if I’m not home. If I don’t put her food down early enough before I leave for work she doesn’t eat until I get home. It’s making it real hard to feed her twice a day.

It also didn’t used to be like this.

Also she’s started peeing. Once I just took her out, she peed, I went to the gas station for 9 minutes, she had peed on the floor. She hides when I come in so she loving knows she’s not supposed to.

What’s going on?
What can I do?
I’m especially worried about the not eating when I’m not home thing because at the end of the month I’m going to a wedding for four days and she’s being watched by a friend. (At his house)

E: forgot to pay my advice tax

https://m.imgur.com/Pp9ZCju

Holy gently caress that is a cute dog, please give her a pet for me.

Have you tried to have the roommate feed her when you're already gone?

Something I will say is that the dog will not hungerstrike and kill herself from starvation, she probably just feels extremely safe with you. I've have a lot of rescues in my life and this is often something I've seen with them; when they're eating it's a very vulnerable time, since they are exposed and unable to watch out for threats. I'm not sure of how to train out of that behavior, our current doggo does it too* but it doesn't really bother me; he has also stayed with my parents and my fiancee's mom, and has not had an issue eating when there.

*if he's really hungry he'll eat food from his dish while we're gone, but it's rare

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Hello thread,
I adopted a lab mix at 2mo. He's now at 8mo and (now that all his teeth are in) things have been smooth sailing and he is, 99% of the time, a little prince.
We started crate training early and he sleeps great in his kennel, but not so great outside. It's easy to see when he's tired, and he'll start to get loud and/or zoomy. If we toss him in the crate he's out in 2 minutes, tops -- he'll basically knock out as soon as we put a blanket over the kennel. Usually naps for about 2-3hrs, and we've never had a problem with him sleeping through the night.
But!
It's been getting more and more difficult to actually get him to go in his crate. For months now we could coax him in with a treat, then do a few simple tricks to calm down (touch, shake, etc), close the kennel and everything's good. Now, even the highest value treats don't really work (he obviously wants them -- just doesn't want to go in the kennel). He's not scared of being in there, he still sleeps just fine, and once he's actually inside the thing he's perfectly content to lie down and run through the calm-down tricks and get his bedtime treat. It's just temper tantrum stuff, I think: he's so tired but doesn't want to go to bed, then is out cold as soon as he does, like any little kid.
I wouldn't post about this except for tonight. He DID NOT want to go in. He was nodding off on the couch, had already done his bathroom business, and it was bedtime. Coaxing him didn't work anymore so I took his collar and lead him into the crate when he bared his teeth and snapped at me.
I didn't pick him up (I haven't since he was a puppy, except for once when he was tearing through the garden but he wasn't too perturbed by it), and I didn't yank on his collar. I pulled/guided him like I've done a million times before for everyday stuff ("get out of the doorway, dog" kind of thing). As soon as I did his gums went back and he went in for the chomp -- not enough to hurt but enough to let me know he was really upset.
I wasn't sure what to do at that point so I yelled "HEY!" and kind of shoved him into the kennel. As soon as he was inside he seemed fine and he's happily snoring away right now.

This is the first time he's tried anything like that. I want to chalk it up to adolescent boundary-pushing but also I don't want to mishandle aggression from him. Any advice? Anything to check? Something I hosed up?

pup pic attached
https://imgur.com/a/lioR4zC

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

do you crate him at any other times then naps/sleep?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Nope -- my wife works from home so he's not in the crate when we're both at work or something. If we have to run out quickly we gate off the upstairs and leave him to his own devices.
If we have to go out for a while we coordinate it with his nap time. eg. if we have to go out in the afternoon we'll keep him up a little longer than usual and give him a longer nap. We've never really had a problem with him sitting in the cage awake. As soon as the blanket goes over it he's out like a light.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
At a guess, he's associating being put in the crate with ending social time. He doesn't care that he's going to sleep through the alone time, he just knows he's going to be alone. It might help to put him in the crate when he's awake and just spend some time nearby reading a book or watching a movie or whatever. Basically get him to break the association of "crate = dad's going away".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm not a huge expert and both my dogs were adopted at 13 months so they were well in adolescence and being a huge pita, but start throwing him in there for short periods while you're home so the association of crate == separation weakens. Regardless of if he's sleeping well or not in there it's always followed by 2-3 or more hours away from you both.

/efb

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I miscalculated how much insulin was left in the bottle and now I'm short for my dogs injection tomorrow morning. I've never had this happen before so I'm not sure what to do. She gets her injections at 6:30am/6:30pm, but the bottle I ordered won't be in until around 11am, well outside the +/- 1 hour window. There's maybe half a dose left in the bottle I have at home, if I'm lucky.

Do I just give her the remainder of the bottle and adjust the feeding accordingly? Skip the dose altogether and feed her normally? Feed her less? I feel like the "safest" option would be the first one, but I'm not sure if that will make her BG levels whack out more than just skipping the dose and resuming in the evening would.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Martian Manfucker posted:

I miscalculated how much insulin was left in the bottle and now I'm short for my dogs injection tomorrow morning. I've never had this happen before so I'm not sure what to do. She gets her injections at 6:30am/6:30pm, but the bottle I ordered won't be in until around 11am, well outside the +/- 1 hour window. There's maybe half a dose left in the bottle I have at home, if I'm lucky.

Do I just give her the remainder of the bottle and adjust the feeding accordingly? Skip the dose altogether and feed her normally? Feed her less? I feel like the "safest" option would be the first one, but I'm not sure if that will make her BG levels whack out more than just skipping the dose and resuming in the evening would.

Is your vet open? Generally I think they'd be open to answering this question over the phone quickly

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

MF_James posted:

Is your vet open? Generally I think they'd be open to answering this question over the phone quickly

No, I didn't realize I was going to be short until her injection tonight and the vet closes at 4. And they don't open until 8 so I can't give them a call in the morning either.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Martian Manfucker posted:

No, I didn't realize I was going to be short until her injection tonight and the vet closes at 4. And they don't open until 8 so I can't give them a call in the morning either.

Is there a local 24 hour emergency vet you can call? Also I think sole regular vets have an answering service; you may be able to reach your regular vet.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A quick googling turned up this site, which says:

quote:

If your pet receives less than the prescribed dose, or if you miss an injection, this may cause a temporary recurrence of signs (such as excess thirst and urination), but is not life threatening. Contact your veterinarian as soon as possible for advice on your pet's next dose. If you cannot reach your veterinarian and your pet is eating and acting normally, give your pet the usual dose at the next regularly scheduled injection time.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Everything went okay. Gave her what was left in the bottle and a slightly smaller feeding and her BG wasn't too bad when I checked her in the evening. We'll see how quickly she bounces back to her normal curve.

When I asked the vet what to do if it happens again (which hopefully it won't), she said I did the right thing. Don't skip the feeding and just keep an eye on her until the next dose.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hi, new visitor to the thread. My girlfriend adopted a dog two months ago and she's in a bit of a bind with a chicken and egg training problem. He's a sweet, well-behaved, and house-broken black lab mystery mix. Unfortunately he damaged his CCL 4 weeks ago and had TPLO surgery, so his allowed activity is limited for now.

After the surgery he developed a pretty bad case of separation anxiety. He was very shy and uninterested in most people when she got him but had just started coming out of his shell before the surgery. He's in love with her now and absolutely beside himself when she gets home but having the surgery and limited activity has set him back for sure. He hadn't been crate trained by her (his past is unknown) and he didn't even have a crate. After clawing up two doors one day while she was at work, and because of the surgery, she got a crate for him, but obviously there's no time for a proper crate training and he hates it and associates it entirely and only with her leaving him.

So anyway it's a dependency issue. He should be in the crate for now while she's gone to prevent injury to his knee. If he had been crate trained first and liked his crate, separation anxiety would be easier to deal with. If separation anxiety had been dealt with properly, he wouldn't hate the crate so much. And with limited mobility it's hard to properly work through the standard training steps for both of these issues.

The plan is to try standard counterconditioning and desensitizing steps for the separation anxiety in parallel with a rushed crate training schedule (feeding him in the crate, hanging out with him near the crate, etc) but it's hard to reward a dog who can't run and play, and it's hard to convince a dog that a crate isn't scary when he has to spend 8 hours in it every day with no option to build up to it.

The idea is to try to minimize stress for the next 6 weeks or so of recovery, at which point everything can be re-evaluated and maybe dealt with in the proper order. Any additional thoughts on ways to handle this?

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Hi, thread. I have a 15-week-old yellow lab puppy that I got 2 weeks ago. She is such a good dog, oh my god. Just incredible. I love her to death.

But can we talk about puppy barf? She barfed the night we brought her home and then a time or two again in the following few days. I chalked it up to the stress of a new home and got a slow feed bowl just in case the speed at which she puts food away was an issue. Things seemed okay until she developed a once-a-day barf habit almost a week ago, coupled with two instances of mild diarrhea. I took her to the vet, who didn't seem particularly concerned but did send off a fecal sample for testing and prescribed 5mg pepcid for the vomitting (along with proviable for diarrhea, which hasn't been needed yet). I started feeding her smaller, more frequent meals which seemed to help over the weekend, but then she barfed twice today. I've left another message with the vet, but I'm freaking out a bit here. Her behavior is otherwise normal and her appetite is voracious, and she doesn't seem particularly itchy or anything that would lead me to think an allergy is the issue. Then again, I haven't had a pet in nearly 5 years and she's the first puppy I've raised in almost 2 decades. Do puppies just puke a lot and I forgot about it? The vet thinks it could still be stress from the adjustment process but I feel like something must be going on. I'd like to get her into puppy classes but I'm terrified to do so until we're sure there isn't anything communicable going on. It breaks my heart that she might be ill and we haven't figured it out yet. :(

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
My experience is from an adult dog rather than a puppy, but putting our akita on a probiotic instantly solved her frequent diarrhea and vomiting issues.

One pill a day, the same medicine humans use. It was recommended by a vet and was the only thing that did the trick for us.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Erwin posted:

The idea is to try to minimize stress for the next 6 weeks or so of recovery, at which point everything can be re-evaluated and maybe dealt with in the proper order. Any additional thoughts on ways to handle this?

I got this Kong doy toy for my hound dog when I started crate training her. I fed her twice a day and put her whole meals in it. It helped.

I got her as an adult, she was picked up as a stray and definitely wasn't crate trained. She still doesn't like going in the crate but after two years I don't have to crate her often.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

squidtarts posted:

My experience is from an adult dog rather than a puppy, but putting our akita on a probiotic instantly solved her frequent diarrhea and vomiting issues.

One pill a day, the same medicine humans use. It was recommended by a vet and was the only thing that did the trick for us.

Just the fact that you have an approximate experience is pretty reassuring, to be honest. I'll ask about probiotics, that seems like it would be really helpful.

In other news, I picked what seemed suspiciously like bits of slug out of her mouth after making that post so now I have something else to bring up with the vet. Also have a new contender for Most Disgusting Thing Ever, a title previously held by the time one of my border collies ate a cow pie and then came in and puked it up on the carpet.

ETA: X-rays were taken and everything looks good, so the vet sent us home with some Hill's prescription diet i/d. Fingers crossed!

right to bear karma fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 23, 2018

Dangerous Dan
Jul 21, 2007
So dangerous!
Hi, I don't post much, but it's surprisingly hard to find other people to talk about this with. I have a lab mix with autoimmune meningitis, and the recovery process sucks. A lot. Has anyone else nursed a dog back to health through meningitis or something similar? Details to follow:

A couple weeks ago, he started having tons of focal seizures, and after an ER visit, MRI, and spinal tap, we figured out that he has autoimmune meningitis. He's on prednisone and phenobarbital for it. The good news is that the drugs have stopped the seizures. The bad news is that they completely destroy him. He pees every two hours (including throughout the night) and prowls the house restlessly looking for more food and water. It's especially bad at night. Outside of seeking out food and water (of which he already gets plenty -- we feed him as much as he usually eats, and he basically gets unlimited water), he has no energy or interest in anything. This can't be fun for him and is incredibly depressing to behold.

On top of that, we're starting to step down the steroid dose. I was hoping this would at least come with an uptick in energy and a decrease in peeing, but so far, no such luck. I also have to watch for seizures coming back, and because his seizures were focal seizures, they're pretty subtle. Basically, any time he looks around or moves even slightly strangely, I find myself panicking that he's having another seizure and that we need to step the dose back up. I'm emotionally exhausted and I feel like I'm losing my sanity worrying about him every second; I'm sure being brutally sleep deprived is not helping the situation.

We're following the advice of the neurologist and all that jazz. I'm not seeking medical advice, but if anyone else has been through this, how did you cope?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I'm epileptic. I regularly have focal seizures, and have really well controlled as generalized seizures ("grand mal"). I gotta say that having seizures isn't really all that bad? Like it sucks that I can't drive but that's pretty much the worst thing about focal seizures and it doesn't even bother me that much. I actually really enjoy some of them.

I do know that your dog has a very specific issue that is very different than epilepsy and definitely take care of your dog and his health problems, but having seizures isn't always as ungodly awful as they seem, I promise!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I don't have any coping advice or similar experience but feel free to post if you just want to talk about it.

I'm apparently the one with all the heartworms so I guess I'll update on that.

The hound dog tested negative at the shelter and then a weak positive six months later. She'd been on Advantage Multi for the six months I had her so she probably only has a few adults. It's two years later and we just did a round of doxy which may weaken and kill the adult. We'll decide how to continue at her next checkup. At least we know she's not getting worse.

The lovely little terrier mix did the Advantage Multi for a couple of months then the hardcore quick kill. I don't think the shelter (a different one) tested for heartworms but they did start her on Advantage Multi right away. Her test showed a stronger positive and there wasn't a negative test prior so my vet recommended the quick kill route. She did test negative recently so I think she's good.

The new guy, some sort of large wire-haired terrier/pointer mix, tested positive at the shelter. My vet wants him to have 3 months of the Advantage Multi before we decide on a course of treatment but we started a round of doxy in the meantime. His dumb rear end introduced a new complication. He apparently has a bad reaction to the doxy. The vet had only seen a couple of dogs where that was a problem. I guess he's special. We discussed doing the quick kill at his initial visit. I'm not sure how we'll proceed but I've got his 3rd dose of Advantage Multi in two weeks so I'll call then. His reaction was pretty gradual. He started by having trouble standing up, which I wasn't sure was related to his medicine at first. He was getting adjusted to my house and maybe the hard floors were slippery. He was doing better outside. He was still trying to play with the other dogs, just falling down a bunch. It didn't help matters that the hound dog had decided one of her favorite games was to wrestle him to the ground. (She still tries this, she just doesn't usually succeed anymore.) Then he didn't want to eat his dry food, but antibiotics might mess with stomachs so I wasn't super concerned. And it was the weekend so I just fed him some wet food. He ate that. He went to the vet the next week and we stopped the doxy. Now he's back to being a counter-surfing, dumpster-diving terror, so I know he feels better. Unfortunately, he's about twice the size of the lovely, 25 lb little dog so his treatment will be more expensive. Oh well. He's also going to probably be really whiny about the two months of kennel time. I may have to relocate his kennel so he can have line of site while I'm home.

Everyone is playing nice, for the most part. The new guy took a bit to understand when the girls were tired of his poo poo. He seems to have figured out to only pee outside. He still can't be trusted to be out of his kennel unsupervised though. He just gets into way more stuff than my equally tall hound dog. The little poo poo does puppy parkour off of all my furniture but she won't eat my food off a couch level table unless I leave it unattended and go outside of the house. One of the first things the new guy did was grab a whole bag of hamburger buns from the back of the kitchen counter. He ate the whole thing and a good bit of the bag. I think I've been spoiled by my ladies' good manners.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

My dog is about one year and 3 months old and still has a big problem with excitement pees. My husband and I are able to keep it under control, but it gets to be a problem when other people who don't take it as seriously come over. (She loves my dad so much she practically pees every time he looks at her!)

Is there anything we can do besides wait it out and urge people to keep her excitement levels down? Google is telling me that dogs grow out of it after they're a year old, but we're a few months past that point. She took forever to potty train so I wonder if she's just a little slower to mature than other dogs.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Winter Rose posted:

My dog is about one year and 3 months old and still has a big problem with excitement pees. My husband and I are able to keep it under control, but it gets to be a problem when other people who don't take it as seriously come over. (She loves my dad so much she practically pees every time he looks at her!)

Is there anything we can do besides wait it out and urge people to keep her excitement levels down? Google is telling me that dogs grow out of it after they're a year old, but we're a few months past that point. She took forever to potty train so I wonder if she's just a little slower to mature than other dogs.

Can you take her out before / as people arrive so she's peeing outside (and then treat)?

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

luscious posted:

Can you take her out before / as people arrive so she's peeing outside (and then treat)?

We do this when we can but she doesn't seem to let it all out...

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Someone on the thread advised a light jog instead of walking, it gets harder to hold pee in

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I thought new guy was done peeing in the house but he totally ninja whizzed today.

All of my floors are pretty pet proof but it's still annoying. He goes out the same times as his equally sized sister, plus he pees on command, which neither of the girls do. I usually have to wait to make sure the little dog pees. I pretty much trust my hound dog to figure it out. She'll either go while I'm waiting for the little dog or she'll realize we're going back inside and she'll pee.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thunder soon would have been 17. One more birthday, I was hoping up til my 31st last week. It would have become "one more christmas" as the new hope but it was clear his time was getting very short. August 2016 he began to get sick, these coughing like spurts and what we considered a seizure. Brought him to the vet, was told he had an enlarged heart and fluid on his lungs. We've been managing his condition for over 2 years with meds, and he has been very good, especially since my girlfriend (and her dog) came into the picture and we moved in together, her dog really perked him up (female). He took a turn for the worst over the weekend and refused to eat. What little he has eaten over the last 4-5 days he eventually throws up. I'm just venting a bit here as I try to stay composed before I leave work to go to his final stop, another vet where we say goodbye. I'm not ready for this. I never could be. I hoped the last coupe of nights that he would pass in his sleep, but he doesn't seem to want to give up despite the lack of eating. Its love thats keeping him alive. I cant even imagine my life without him, the one good constant, my best friend of over half my life. Okay thats enough. I gotta go.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Rest easy Thunder, you're more loved than you know! Until y'all meet again <3

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm very sorry for you codo :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think my dog has a tick in the groin area, and now that I want to actually investigate the area, he refuses to let me touch him. :sigh:

Update: took him for a walk, and he's actually fine when I lift his legs and peek under out there, so I peeked and it was a tick, and I plucked it with my fingers. Not the best method, but it's off and out and he is up to date with all of his shots and meds for lyme disease and stuff.

The reason I didn't use a tweezer is because he still flips out if I try using a nail clipper on him, and I didn't want him to flip out outside while I was trying to get this thing off of him, and I cannot do a trip to the vet right now.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 6, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just a vent more than anything... we did an emergency homing for a basset hound yesterday, coming out of a kill shelter in Miami after being confiscated (sadly I don't know any information wrt that side, but I hope there were no other dogs and there's prosecution). Poor thing was listed as being 12 and you could see in the photo they provided he was malnurished, but we get him and he has multiple tumors and one of them probably weighs more than the rest of him combined. He's probably younger than 10 too, I can't believe this animal is still so kind tempered and gentle after what he's been through. I just can't understand how people let this happen, and so glad we've hopefully got him in time. Poor thing hasn't made a single noise since he came in, just looks at you with kind eyes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Good on you. I'm sad Ohio basset rescue is ran by such a nutter since I'd love to help out the goofy gentle giants.

/e- hound tax

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 15, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yeah, I think we talked about them before? It's often the way with rescues, always drama and craziness going down! Aw those two look a good pair, always so cute.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah in the pet photography thread when I was looking for my second. Ended up getting the tricolor from a non basset rescue. Hopefully someday he'll stop wiggling and moving with any form of attention so I can get those sweet sweet photos.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Awesome! Yeah I'm hoping to get some photos of this little guy before he moves to his foster on Saturday but I'm not around much during the lighted hours. He is very sweet looking so hoping to capture that, as well as then show just how bad a state he was in. None of the photos taken so far really show that, and people need to see what this poor guy has been through.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bags basset rescue looks for old dogs in bad shape so feel free to reference to help pull some heart strings i.e. http://www.bagsbassetrescue.org/meet-hounds/residents/droopy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aw, that guy is adorable in his little snow getup. I'm hoping the guy who gets this one on the weekend is aware of the full situation, and goes on to adopt him down the line. I know donations have been coming in for the vets bills which is great, lots of outpouring so my view on humanity isn't completely soured this week at least.