Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Pentaro posted:

Angular specter. Getting experimental.

Hey I like that. It’s like pixel art but ink wash

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Pentaro posted:

Lovely values, favourite of the series so far

Just because it's been brought up, and I honestly don't want to embarrass you, but it's a shame when I read the posts where you seem really unhappy with what you're producing. Your work is always nice to see and you've been really consistent and disciplined with daily drawing, which most people aren't. I hope you give yourself a break and a chance to enjoy the things you make, please keep it up.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Jobtober day 13: warrior!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Day 16 - "Angular"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

#13: Guarded Demon

Trying to figure out how to draw shadows in this style.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What software you using? I think if you could make the shadow-marks more parrallel it'd suit it, and idk if photoshop has a thing like krita does that lets you do that.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Tonight: whatever this is

folder posted:

Just because it's been brought up, and I honestly don't want to embarrass you, but it's a shame when I read the posts where you seem really unhappy with what you're producing. Your work is always nice to see and you've been really consistent and disciplined with daily drawing, which most people aren't. I hope you give yourself a break and a chance to enjoy the things you make, please keep it up.

I've somehow strung myself along for about a decade now despite almost constant troubles, so I don't think I'll throw in the towel any time soon, heh. Thanks a lot for your kind and encouraging words!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I haven't been posting in this thread much on account of there's no good way to resize images on my phone (plenty of bad ways but now I'd need to do a whole batch) but I've made a point to contain my inktober work into a single Twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/neoMuffinlord/status/1052242317069996033?s=19

I rolled my own prompts about mechs on account of I couldn't find any that seemed series-agnostic enough, but never really bothered to type them up in anything besides an Evernote document. It's like a little surprise for everyone but me!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Plz take three wild guesses at how well the prompt "angular" went.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

lofi posted:

What software you using? I think if you could make the shadow-marks more parrallel it'd suit it, and idk if photoshop has a thing like krita does that lets you do that.

I use Clip Studio Paint. It has a stabilizer option but everytime I've used it it seems to gently caress with the quality of the lines and they end up looking way different than ones with the stabilization turned off.

One of these days I should bother figuring out how to actually use Lazy Numiri so I can draw a bunch of straight lines properly.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I was meaning something like Krita's 'assistant', where you can define a ruler and draw along it, but without it making the strokes perfect lines.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Oh no he is broken

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

old pencil drawing of mine that I colored today, has a cool looking effect imo

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Inktober 14 "Weakness"

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

Doctor Dogballs posted:

This looks effortlessly awesome! And I mean that in the best way.

Would you elaborate how you did this?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Don't talk to me or my tumor ever again.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pentaro posted:

cool, how did you do this?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Day 14 for jobtober is summoner of course.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Getting a real "Fantastic Planet" vibe from this, I like it.

Work continues.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Day 17 - "Swollen"

Used a lot of Quink on this one, I love how it decomposes into brown & blue on wet paper.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

This looks effortlessly awesome! And I mean that in the best way.

Would you elaborate how you did this?

Started with a pencil drawing in (if I might toot my own horn for a sec) a pretty good and smooth grayscale.
Scan it and bring it into the program. I'm using Clip but photoshop works basically identically for this
Start with that image as the base layer. Duplicate the layer, and convert the new layer so the white parts are transparent leaving just the gray pencil drawing. Then duplicate that new transparent layer a bunch of times.
The lowermost of the new layers becomes the color fill/hues layer. I use the magic wand and let it figure out what areas to grab. I intentionally let it be kind of sloppy for that cool look you get with old comic books and album covers where the color plates were a little bit misaligned. You can use the "posterize" function to make this even easier
One of the new transparent layers becomes a soft light, hard light, or brightness layer instead of a normal image - whichever you like the best. One of them becomes a saturation layer. And the highest one up remains as the pencil art. Then play around with the brightness contrast and transparency of those three layers. I believe the visible pencil drawing (the top layer) got the brightness adjusted way down and contrast up.

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 18, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Inktober swollen

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Inktober swollen

purrrget it jake, its chinameown

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

a hole-y ghost posted:

cool, how did you do this?

Thanks! This one went through like three different sketches before I settled on this. Then I drew a rough grid with soft pencil and then started filling the "pixels" from light to dark using different ink/water ratios. The darkest parts are straight undiluted ink.

Inktober 17 - Swollen Friendly Monster (Continuity? In my Inktober?)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Horses really are the best man/beast combo as anything smaller and your front arms are drag and a taller animal like an elephant or giraffe would just look awkward.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

sketchbook megapost!!!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Inktober 13 "Clock"
Zbrush and photoshop.

Time to catch up.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 18, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Day 18 - "Bottle"

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Bottle + "Friendly" Monster.

Do you think that it is rad to have alcoholism Ray

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
drat I missed a lot of cool art in this thread

I finished a couple of commissions. I'm gonna start timing myself when I do these. If I have to clock in and out like a real job maybe I can get through them faster and make some ok money

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
#14: Clock Demon

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Late night drawing seems to be what I've returned to again. RIP elaborate pieces.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

This one really works for me, I'm well impressed. Where are you getting commissions from, I'd like to get into that but I have no idea where to start.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Inktober 18 - bottle.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Horses really are the best man/beast combo as anything smaller and your front arms are drag and a taller animal like an elephant or giraffe would just look awkward.

Excuse you, I would absolutely rock a rhinoceros butt-half. :colbert:
That said, I love this so goddamn much. So much. He looks tough and mean but I know if I can just pet his butt, he'll be happy and wiggly in no time!

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

lofi posted:

This one really works for me, I'm well impressed. Where are you getting commissions from, I'd like to get into that but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks!

I don't get a lot of views or anything, but I was getting the most engagement from furries, so I made an effort to get more interest by engaging directly with furry twitter, and that's mostly been working out. They tend to be into a lot of other things, so I found some lefty people poo poo-talking nazis and started tweeting with those people while posting my art and sorta went from there.

That approach isn't for everyone, though. There's a lot of very nice furries, but it's still a weird space.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
#15: Weak Demons

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Krispy Wafer posted:

:wrong:

Witness the majesty!

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Today's prompt was Scorched Shapeshifter. There was only one way to go with that.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Day 19 - "Scorched"

Forgotten how to draw pls help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Day 15: dragoon!