Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love BoTW, I think it pulled everything off and ruled. That said, a few things about it I don't think we need to do next time.

One is, they made the biggest game ever, or at least for me it was, well over 200 hours. So much travel time, just traversing well done but simple terrain, some of it pretty empty like the red mountainy areas. For this game it worked, I was in, it was majestic, but I don't think just re-doing it would be the thing next time. To mix it up, next time I'd have a smaller but more detailed world and areas to explore. And up your travel speed if keeping it huge, though I did eat a lot of speedy food near the end there. More bang for your time buck.

On durability, it did work for this game for me, managing and having like 17 weapons on you, dropping or breaking them all the time etc. But there are a lot of other ways to balance combat they could try out, I don't think breakable weapons is essential.

On Zelda not having good combat, are we talking of the time? I don't see how you'd say OoT didn't have good combat at the time. Not a lot of 3D adventure games with as good combat. Rune had pretty cool combat, though a much less interesting game, and more just an action game. OoT plays well, it's fun to fight in it, so I'd say it has good combat. I like Ninja Gaiden (xbox) and whatnot, and I love fighting games, it's a bit apples and oranges to say only that kind of game has good combat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I loved Wind Waker's combat; the musical cues on top of sound effects was somehow really effective in making me want to kill a whole bunch of moblins.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
That's more of an aesthetic thing than a mechanics thing though, wind waker is basically OoT combat rehashed

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

It really is. Twilight Princess had interesting things you could do in combat but since it was all optional, encounters were never designed with it in mind.

Yeah, it was so goddamn frustrating. They took all the context sensitive stuff from Wind Waker and made it so you could do it on command, which let you do a lot of cool fancy stuff, but the game was so criminally easy it was a waste of time to do anything but spam enemies to death.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
BoTW was my first proper Zelda game. Didn't have a Nintendo system growing up so missed the NES/SNES generation games. I've been a mostly PC gamer for 30+ years.

I didn't enjoy the first few hours, but once it clicked I was completely into it. The story was cookie cutter garbage, but I can't think of another game that's given me anything near the sense of adventure and discovery.

Early in the game I was climbing down a cliff, looked down and saw a gigantic sleeping Hinox, I was still weak but the realisation that I'd be fighting those dudes later in the game was mindblowing.

Another time, I was fighting a Lynel in the snowy tundra area in the north of the map when I noticed a green glow in the sky in the distance. Thinking it couldn't be too far away I started heading towards it. Turned out to be coming from Satori Mountain which was pretty drat far. I eventually got there, tamed the Lord of the Mountain and rode him around for a while.

The game was jam packed full of moments like that which is why I can easily rate it as one of the best games I've ever played.

That being said, the cooking system was an absolute garbage and a chore. Once you've discovered/cooked a dish, you should have just been able to select it from a menu to "instant cook" it when at a cooking pot. I know the animation is mostly skippable, but gently caress me it was tedious to have to sit there and watch bits of it every time I cooked.

I used bombs to chop trees and to smash rocks.

Now I want to play it again.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I loved Wind Waker's combat; the musical cues on top of sound effects was somehow really effective in making me want to kill a whole bunch of moblins.

Zelda games have always been easy enough for babbies to play but yeah the musical cues and sound effects made it really enjoyable and fun

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Roadie posted:

Weapon durability as a required mechanic in literally any game will never not be bad.

In Breath of the Wild, it is in fact, good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BOTW's weapon durability mechanic is about as well-thought-out as its cooking

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

So very. They actually have talks you can look up where they go through all the systems. The cooking system was simplified because it became more about the menus instead of being in the game world. For what it is, it's super elegant, especially since it's still physics based.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I will say that in BotW, trekking all the way up that snowy mountain, worrying about cold protection potion timers and health refills, then chasing that red dragon around the region with the hang glider and shooting it with arrows in slow-motion was one of the best gaming moments I’ve had in the past 10 years or so. It was completely magical.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I want Nintendo to have the guts to make the proposed Zelda game with UFOs and alien poo poo that they sketched out

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Your Computer posted:

Zelda games have always been easy enough for babbies to play but yeah the musical cues and sound effects made it really enjoyable and fun

I don't know if this is a pejorative on the gamer skills of babies, they can be quite fearsome. Beat em ups are easy, you have infinite lives, but the combat can be quite enjoyable in those. If Zelda games don't have good combat, Mario does not have a good mustache. Actually lightning struck my home just for typing that, even though I didn't mean it Mario.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

GreatGreen posted:

I will say that in BotW, trekking all the way up that snowy mountain, worrying about cold protection potion timers and health refills, then chasing that red dragon around the region with the hang glider and shooting it with arrows in slow-motion was one of the best gaming moments I’ve had in the past 10 years or so. It was completely magical.

Yeah. Looking back on BOTW there's a lot about it I really disliked but that one setpiece was incredibly high quality and struck me as almost Shadow of the Colossus-caliber in scale and I loved it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't know if this is a pejorative on the gamer skills of babies, they can be quite fearsome. Beat em ups are easy, you have infinite lives, but the combat can be quite enjoyable in those. If Zelda games don't have good combat, Mario does not have a good mustache. Actually lightning struck my home just for typing that, even though I didn't mean it Mario.
I think Zelda games do their thing excellently and wouldn't change it fwiw

not every game needs Dark Souls combat, y'know what I mean?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Your Computer posted:

I think Zelda games do their thing excellently and wouldn't change it fwiw

not every game needs Dark Souls combat, y'know what I mean?

Right on! That said, BoTW was challenging at times early on. A lot of enemies killing you in one or two hits etc. It didn't feel like it was aimed at kids in particular to me with this one. And OoT probably had average difficulty for a game of it's time. In general normal mode on an action game wasn't overly tough in the 90s that I recall, in the N64/PSX/DC days.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best part of the game is going to a far-off cold area right after eating a meat meal so you can see Link’s breath of the wild.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I don't care for the cold weather cause then I can't dress link in the gerudo veil outfit.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

The best part of the game is going to a far-off cold area right after eating a meat meal so you can see Link’s breath of the wild.

Get out.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Botw's bad durability system doesn't matter anyway cause Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game

Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The killing blow of Wind Waker remains my favorite gaming moment. Out of nowhere in this duel your counter does...that. holy poo poo.

Arkham city did a story counter event years later and everyone poo poo their pants over it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't care for the cold weather cause then I can't dress link in the gerudo veil outfit.
Carry a flame weapon or drink an elixir?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Without weapon and shield durability, there is no incentive or reward for continuing to explore. Evidence: every other Zelda game ever. I'd rather get a boss new weapon than my eightieth gold skulltula.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Looper posted:

Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands...

still less repetitive than every botw chat in these threads

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The only problem with the weapon durability is that there should been a way to tag weapons in your inventory as "auto-switchable" so that Link would move to another weapon automatically when one broke.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

LividLiquid posted:

Without weapon and shield durability, there is no incentive or reward for continuing to explore. Evidence: every other Zelda game ever. I'd rather get a boss new weapon than my eightieth gold skulltula.

Dont you want the giants wallet in out? Oh theres literally nothing to buy...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The only problem with the weapon durability is that there should been a way to tag weapons in your inventory as "auto-switchable" so that Link would move to another weapon automatically when one broke.

link should be able to punch a moblin in its goddamn face

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Carry a flame weapon or drink an elixir?

Like I'm gonna put limits on that look

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

The killing blow of Wind Waker remains my favorite gaming moment. Out of nowhere in this duel your counter does...that. holy poo poo.

Arkham city did a story counter event years later and everyone poo poo their pants over it.

Windwaker has lots of issues but the final boss isnt one of them. That fight rules so hard and BotW wishes Calamity Ganon had one tenth the drama.

LividLiquid posted:

There are tons of things they could have done to reward exploration, hell they could have rewarded weapon degredation if they wanted, but instead they didnt and there is no reason to fight anything except the bosses unless you're grinding armor and isnt all that much reason to explore either

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RCarr posted:

Don't play it then you piece of poo poo. You loving waste of life.

Lol'd again thinking of this post. Thread title please

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The reward for weapon degradation is that when something is about to break you just chuck it into something's face for a high damage hit that sounds like one of those little gunpowder pellets exploding

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Barudak posted:

There are tons of things they could have done to reward exploration,

which they did

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

but I guess they didn't have a reward for getting the rewards for the rewards with the rewards, so that might be a little disappointing the a select few!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

There are tons of things they could have done to reward exploration, hell they could have rewarded weapon degredation if they wanted, but

Korok seeds literally add to your weapon amount...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Barudak posted:

Windwaker has lots of issues but the final boss isnt one of them. That fight rules so hard and BotW wishes Calamity Ganon had one tenth the drama.

There are tons of things they could have done to reward exploration, hell they could have rewarded weapon degredation if they wanted, but instead they didnt and there is no reason to fight anything except the bosses unless you're grinding armor and isnt all that much reason to explore either

Exploring is fun. Sorry your lizard brain needs to be rewarded for every little thing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The ONLY time in the entirety of BOTW where I was annoyed by the rewards was when each of the 3 special shrines that contained a bit of story build up (power/wisdom/courage) rewarded you with a 24str flame spear instead of some unique piece of equipment. That was pretty lame.

Other than that though I never felt I needed to be rewarded to explore. I'd spent literal hours checking every single part of the map and was always excited by what I'd find.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Silver Falcon posted:

Exploring is fun. Sorry your lizard brain needs to be rewarded for every little thing.

That's true. Just simply having more continent to still see was insanely fun and I miss not having new corners to check out (thank you hero's path).

I've always enjoyed having new areas to explore in video games, rewards or no rewards. In that sense, botw is an achievement.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Exploring is absolutely fun for its own sake, and I do it in every Zelda game, but once you hit the endgame where you have every item, all of them served up to you through the main plot, the incentive to keep going is minimized.

Over 400 hours into BotW, I still keep going because hell, I have empty sword slots and my bow is about to break. If they added one unbreakable weapon, like everybody said they should've done with the master sword, I would never use anything else and I wouldn't need to go find more weapons.

Twilight Princess was particularly egregious in this regard. The only rewards for continuing to explore once you had all the stuff was things you absolutely didn't need, up to and including several rupee chests in the last dungeon of the game, when you literally have nothing to spend money on anymore.

They even had to put in a rupee-draining armor to justify that poo poo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Exploring in BotW was just amazing. It was similar to the feeling I get from exploring out of bounds areas in games (something I love doing), like you almost get the feeling that you aren't supposed to be in all the places you can get to.

The moment at the very start when it explains the controls and I realized I could just... hop onto the wall and climb anywhere at any time right off the bat was the best moment ever. :allears:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best combat system was in the best Zelda game, Skyward Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

bushisms.txt posted:

I know this is in jest, but since the failure of the wiiu, this is exactly what nintendo is doing. They started the garage initiative (splatoon, arms)which allowed the younger ones to step up. And for Zelda, they allowed new young programmers on who literally told them they were programming inefficiently so they changed how they were working. The game is incredibly thought out, even down to a 2d working physics mock up of the entire world to make sure the game didn't break. User error is unfortunately still a thing in a game with so much freedom.

Yeah. As "conservative" as Nintendo is, they seem be the only major (possibly even semi-relevant) Japanese game developer who focuses on fresh blood working on new and existing franchises.

RandomFerret posted:

The best combat system was in the best Zelda game, Skyward Sword.

This unironically. Motion controls in that game were a blast and I'm pissed that Nintendo didn't expand on Skyward Sword's combat in BOTW.