Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not one of those guys who says "the new Star Wars movies make me see the prequels in a better light" or whatever. The Prequels were bad when they came out and are still bad now. Even if the new Star War movies are also bad, that doesn't make the prequels better.

That being said, Rogue One is worse than the prequels.

i wrote a big huge post then i realized i bit the bait.

almost every piece of star wars extra fiction was really fun and good, the more of the eu gets in the better. i love the eu :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starcrafts eu is a million times better tho.

I liked the ending to StarCraft 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Thrawn trilogy novels were never actually all that good, I just liked them when I was 12.

The games and comics were always the best part of the Star Wars EU and still are (well, not so much with the games because there's only been two proper ones so far - substitute cartoons for games and that would be about right).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Related PHUO. I hate EU stuff. I'm a dork, but that stuff is for like, the opposite kind of dork. It makes me wince when I see some long backstory for a random background character written by some rando.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
EU is so mediocre that now I support Brexit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nero Wolfe is better than Sherlock Holmes. In fact, Nero Wolfe is the best detective character full stop.

It's all about that Hercule Poirot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nero Wolfe is better than Sherlock Holmes. In fact, Nero Wolfe is the best detective character full stop.

Detective Conan

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kylo Ren is basically how I would act if I had space kung fu magic. I'm sorry but it's true.

I'd pick a better wizard name than Kylo Ren, though. wtf

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kylo Ren is basically how I would act if I had space kung fu magic. I'm sorry but it's true.

I'd pick a better wizard name than Kylo Ren, though. wtf

I always thought Clutch Hammerstrike would be a good name for taking over the world/universe.

edit:
But if it's a wizard I guess something a little more magical would be better. Like Salf Wizzenedroot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I still don't even know what Kylo Ren or even the Sith wants. What's happens if they reach the end game and are successful? What the gently caress is even their goal beyond destroying the rebels.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
That's my problem with all "take over the world/universe" villains. That is some really goal-oriented poo poo. Someone that motivated is not going to be content just ruling. So they will likely go conquering out of boredom.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kylo Ren is kind of a dumb character like all of the new trilogy characters, but Adam Driver as Kylo Ren is by far the best thing about the new trilogy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ommin posted:

That's my problem with all "take over the world/universe" villains. That is some really goal-oriented poo poo. Someone that motivated is not going to be content just ruling. So they will likely go conquering out of boredom.

I feel like if I conquered the universe the very first thing I'd do as Supreme Eternal Emperor would be to throw a pizza party and let everyone stay up as late as they want playing arcade games.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Well, sure, you'd be a fool not to. But how long can that last? Personally, I do the same as you. Maybe throw out a bunch of new holidays, rename some stuff, general world building, and just delegate the rest. Frankly, it all sounds exhausting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

veni veni veni posted:

Kylo Ren is kind of a dumb character like all of the new trilogy characters, but Adam Driver as Kylo Ren is by far the best thing about the new trilogy.

He really does a great job given the material

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually my opinion re: more people dislike Last Jedi than like it probably isn't unpopular because I imagine everyone agrees with me. In any event, it cannot be proven otherwise; you can go on YouTube and find some three and a half hour video whinging about the movie, you can't find anything where people talk about liking it. It's completely different from the prequels, as I said, because most people liked them but the only people you ever heard were people who didn't like it.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Oct 18, 2018

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I watched TLJ knowing literally nothing about it because I didn't really give a poo poo about reading/watching someone talk about star wars, and thought it was pretty good and did a some neat stuff. The idea that it's some widely hated thing is insane to me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

The idea that it's some widely hated thing is insane to me.

A lot of it's the usual types screeching about "SJWs destroyed muh childhood" and all of that. The movie has it's flaws and people can have legit criticisms, but the most insane vitriol all comes from that former group unsurprisingly.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

A lot of it's the usual types screeching about "SJWs destroyed muh childhood" and all of that. The movie has it's flaws and people can have legit criticisms, but the most insane vitriol all comes from that former group unsurprisingly.

That sort of thing always confuses me because like...the original media is still there and hasn't been changed so just, like, ignore the new stuff if you hate it so much?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They really hosed up gmail.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Saagonsa posted:

I watched TLJ knowing literally nothing about it because I didn't really give a poo poo about reading/watching someone talk about star wars, and thought it was pretty good and did a some neat stuff. The idea that it's some widely hated thing is insane to me.

Star war is just one of those things everyone feels the need to have an opinion on. Look at this thread whenever it is mentioned. If you see more than 20 posts in one day, 9 times out of 10 it's because someone mentioned it, and the other time is when someone brings up politics and everyone ignores the no politics rule until we get yelled at again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Space Fascism is cool, way better than dumb space democracy.

Also, Anthony Daniels (C3P0) is the only star wars character for whom CGI revival should be off-limits. The dude does C3P0 in EVERYTHING- cartoons, video games, Disney World rides, if he shows up it's the original actor voicing him. Respect that and, eventually, let him die. I think zombie Carrie Fisher was fine, it was just really unfortunate that she passed right before that movie came out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saagonsa posted:

The idea that it's some widely hated thing is insane to me.

Well, it is. :shrug:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't seen The Last Jedi or Solo because after the prequels, the Force Awakens, and Rogue One I came to the conclusion that the franchise no longer had any value.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I haven't seen The Last Jedi or Solo because after the prequels, the Force Awakens, and Rogue One I came to the conclusion that the franchise no longer had any value.

I figured that poo poo out half way through episode 2

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars started going downhill as soon as Vader told Luke he was his father.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rogue One had the best battle scene in the series. Like a star wars Dirty Dozen. Made me kinda wish they would do a really good sci-fi version of Seven Samurai.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rogue One is the best SW film because it’s the only one with Donnie Yen

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Rogue One had the best battle scene in the series. Like a star wars Dirty Dozen. Made me kinda wish they would do a really good sci-fi version of Seven Samurai.

What was the good battle?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVWm20fU0A

edit:
Couldn't find one of edited down ground combat stuff, but I thought that was pretty good too. I go back and forth between this and Return's space battle, but I think I like Scariff more just because there wasn't a silly "trench run" component.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Oct 18, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wheat Loaf posted:

Actually my opinion re: more people dislike Last Jedi than like it probably isn't unpopular because I imagine everyone agrees with me. In any event, it cannot be proven otherwise; you can go on YouTube and find some three and a half hour video whinging about the movie, you can't find anything where people talk about liking it. It's completely different from the prequels, as I said, because most people liked them but the only people you ever heard were people who didn't like it.

Or it could just be that there are plenty of people who liked it, but didn’t feel the need to make a three hour video on YouTube about it. Could be.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That might be a cool fight by itself, but in the context of the movie it drove me crazy. The whole idea was to sneak in to get the plans! They had Imperial uniforms, they had the reprogrammed Imperial droid, they landed, walked in to the base, it was going fine. But they also decided to have a big battle? Even though it actively worked against their much better actual plan of sneaking in? It was so blatant, they needed to end the movie with a big battle or else it would be boring, so a big battler happened even though it made no sense.

And then the characters start dying one by one, and the complete lack of emotions in their deaths just highlight how none of them had character arcs, and none of them even have relationships with each other aside from Donnie Yen and Donnie Yen's friend, and their relationship is just Donnie Yen's friend is also part of the mission. He has a gun and is Donnie Yen's friend, so he's sad when Donnie Yen decides to slowly walk to his death instead of having a cool stick fight.

And the whole process of getting the plans was so long and Rube Goldberg it was just clearly stretching the whole sequence out. It's like they thought they could make up for the lack of a cool heist plot by having the goal take twenty five loving steps. Open the door, find the plans, use the claw, get to the satellite dish, it's just one minor pointless obstruction after another.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Or it could just be that there are plenty of people who liked it, but didn’t feel the need to make a three hour video on YouTube about it. Could be.

Seems unlikely to me - more people are online now than were when the prequels were about. And you know how fans of things are - have to hop on the YouTube or the Tumblr or whatever and gush about how EPIC every movie is and post gifs of the EPIC moments and so on and so forth. People don't do that for Last Jedi because most people didn't like it; if YouTube and Twitter had existed when the prequel movies were coming out, I'm reasonably confident they would have, because more people liked the prequels than didn't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

That might be a cool fight by itself, but in the context of the movie it drove me crazy. The whole idea was to sneak in to get the plans! They had Imperial uniforms, they had the reprogrammed Imperial droid, they landed, walked in to the base, it was going fine. But they also decided to have a big battle? Even though it actively worked against their much better actual plan of sneaking in? It was so blatant, they needed to end the movie with a big battle or else it would be boring, so a big battler happened even though it made no sense.

And then the characters start dying one by one, and the complete lack of emotions in their deaths just highlight how none of them had character arcs, and none of them even have relationships with each other aside from Donnie Yen and Donnie Yen's friend, and their relationship is just Donnie Yen's friend is also part of the mission. He has a gun and is Donnie Yen's friend, so he's sad when Donnie Yen decides to slowly walk to his death instead of having a cool stick fight.

And the whole process of getting the plans was so long and Rube Goldberg it was just clearly stretching the whole sequence out. It's like they thought they could make up for the lack of a cool heist plot by having the goal take twenty five loving steps. Open the door, find the plans, use the claw, get to the satellite dish, it's just one minor pointless obstruction after another.

Well yeah, I wasn't saying it was a good movie. Just that the space battle was good.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Star Wars is for dorks. Now Galaxy Quest on the other hand....

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Donnie Yen? More like Donnie Yum, am I right, gwailos?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The two Chinese guys were definitely loving each other

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Manspreading, mansplaining, emotional labor, and cultural appropriation aren't real. Maybe they once meant something legit (except for manspreading,that was some dumb bullshit from the getgo), but now they've been abused and twisted to fit the needs of grifters, abusers, social climbers and power grabbers that call themselves activists. It's kinda lovely to pretend to give a crap about "toxic masculinity" and give lip service to the idea that patriarchy hurts men too, and then turn around and say thAt men who talk about their feelings are needy weaklings who are parasytically taking advantage of the "emotional labor" of their wives or girlfriends. Goddamn, do you want men to discuss how they feel or not? Stop pretending you give a poo poo about men and boys,feminists. It's obvious you only REALLY care about yourselves: first world, comfortably middle class and higher, college-educated, professional cis women. You're happy to let trans women be your ugly friend, your pathetic little sidekick. You hate sex workers, you sneer at poor women and women of less affluent backgrounds. Unless they're nonwhite, in which case you fetishize them and treat them like your little sidekicks,too. You say the hijab is feminist while women get arrested or beaten for protesting against being forced to wear it in Iran and other countries. And you're gonna rally around Elizabeth Warren, the Native-American-Ancestry-Not-Haver, in 2020, aren't you? And everyone who says she sucks will be "shouted down" and "dragged" (translation: whined about until mods ban them), and you'll echo chamber yourselves into thinking shes gonna wreck Trump in a landslide. And then trump wins re-election. Thanks a lot, fuckfaces.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's almost impressive to type that much and say absolutely nothing of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's hard for me to have any kind of strong reaction to Blue Star's posts, and I can't really say why... :iiam: