Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Uncle Kitchener posted:

That's alright.

The entirety of Doom was non-OSHA compliant.

What was that Doom 2 wad that made all of the levels in it more realistic-looking versions of the original maps? I remember it playing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blood Sally posted:

aw poo poo. phone posting. i dont think my picture is showing.

uh, imagine, if you will, Dash Rendar riding a swoop bike on Tatooine. upon leaving Mos Eisley, hidden in the shadow of the city's walls, he finds a solver challenge point shaped like Max.
You need to take one of the "media" links, preferably the smallest ("optimized for file size").

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Plan Z posted:

What was that Doom 2 wad that made all of the levels in it more realistic-looking versions of the original maps? I remember it playing well.

Is this anything other than D2 In Name Only, or Maps of Chaos? Probably not Maps of Chaos, but either way, I want to know the answer, too.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Plan Z posted:

Remain 3 kinda does that to some levels, like the factory one (MAP12) and downtown (MAP13). The latter is one of my favorite city levels. Not the same layout from the original Doom 2 maps but they're interesting reinterpretations in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcJ-RLM63e8

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ha, 'Downtown' in Doom 2 just meant that you were basically on the ground with very tall walls everywhere, with the occasional staircase.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The one I played was basically a full 30 map WAD. I think it got a Cacoward so I'll go look and share it if I find it. All I can remember is that Entryway has a section at the end that leads out into a street that's one of the better-looking city streets I've seen in a WAD.

EDIT: Found it. It has the really difficult-to-remember name of "Ultimate Doom II."

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 17, 2018

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I wanted to like Ultimate Doom II but every level had 8 billion enemies in it so they felt like they lasted forever and turned into a complete slog.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Starting to remember that, yeah.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Star Man posted:

I got around to playing Overload from start to finish this weekend. It felt really uninspiring even though it had the original band back together.

I haven't played beyond the 4th level despite buying it in early access. I think it feels fantastic, but needs more variety in environment and enemy behavior to be something I want to power all the way through. It's pretty much how I feel about the original descent. The whole game and it's sequel (+ Overload) are just too one-note throughout their entire run-times.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

treat posted:

I haven't played beyond the 4th level despite buying it in early access. I think it feels fantastic, but needs more variety in environment and enemy behavior to be something I want to power all the way through. It's pretty much how I feel about the original descent. The whole game and it's sequel (+ Overload) are just too one-note throughout their entire run-times.

Agreed. I was really psyched when I bought it, but I barely touched it.

I think this is something that Descent 3 did very well. They managed it a lot of level variation that I thought was fun and interesting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
RedneckGDX has been updated with proper Route 66 support and support for Rides Again. Which is, you know, nice.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I checked the past few weeks and didn't find anything, so I still hope this is the right place to get hype:

Anyone hear about/planning to get Project: Warlock?

Looks to be designed like a classic shooter but, unlike most homages/love-letters to classic shooters, isn't a roguelite!

I don't think i'm excited about the one liners (if they're in abundance) but other than that, I'm gonna get it first thing after work. :woop:

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. Going to give it a few days I think since recent retro FPSes have been a little hit and miss lately, but for $12 it looks like it'll be worth it. Kind of funny the lead dev on it is younger than Half-Life.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I only heard about it the other day but definitely will be picking it up later.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It did come up in the thread a little while back, and I still stand by my opinion that I like the way it looks! I'll be buying it when it comes out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Doom's lighting system is vexing me. I'm trying to create a room with manually ray traced lights. For some reason, some of the sectors are coming up darker than they should, and I can't see any reason why in the sector's data why that would be the case.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I played like two minutes of Project Warlock before going to work and it seems sick.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm curious as to how much bulk the main campaign has. not that a game automatically has to last like 15 hours or something to be 'worth' it but hopefully it'd be a decent chunk of time and not just something that clocks in at like 4 hours even to someone who isn't jetting through as fast as possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm curious as to how much bulk the main campaign has. not that a game automatically has to last like 15 hours or something to be 'worth' it but hopefully it'd be a decent chunk of time and not just something that clocks in at like 4 hours even to someone who isn't jetting through as fast as possible.

It says it has 60 levels, but I assume that means either Out Run style branching paths or else they're short action packed squeezes. Either way, 12 bucks is not that bad of a price even for 4 hours if it does end up being that short somehow imo. I'm gonna buy it and find out!!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A.o.D. posted:

Doom's lighting system is vexing me. I'm trying to create a room with manually ray traced lights. For some reason, some of the sectors are coming up darker than they should, and I can't see any reason why in the sector's data why that would be the case.
Vertical and horizontal lines are given a fake contrast effect that makes them appear darker or lighter.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Amid Evil kicks rear end, it turns out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Linguica posted:

Vertical and horizontal lines are given a fake contrast effect that makes them appear darker or lighter.

I don't think that's what's happening here. I've got a synchronized strobe effect in the room and some of the sectors are mysteriously darker than others when the light is off.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A.o.D. posted:

I don't think that's what's happening here. I've got a synchronized strobe effect in the room and some of the sectors are mysteriously darker than others when the light is off.
In ZDoom you can turn off the fake contrast both at runtime and in the map metadata, so you can at least try that...

Is this 8-bit software or OpenGL? Getting stuff to look good in old-school software is an art in itself.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

david_a posted:

In ZDoom you can turn off the fake contrast both at runtime and in the map metadata, so you can at least try that...

Is this 8-bit software or OpenGL? Getting stuff to look good in old-school software is an art in itself.

Opengl. I'm making this thing for GZDoom.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

Note that "vertical and horizontal" here means north-south and east-west. It's always on vertical surfaces in that only walls are affected.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Fake_contrast

The other unnatural lighting effect is light diminishing, which oddly doesn't have a page on the wiki. Stuff closer enough is brightened (even in total darkness, you can see a wall in front of you if you're close enough), while things farther away are darkened. It doesn't make any sort of sense physically speaking, but it's quite atmospheric and it helps give some depth to Doom's primitive graphics.

You can try different settings in GZDoom, and when you find a lighting model that works well for the scene, you can set it in MAPINFO.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO_options_for_GZDoom%27s_GL_renderer

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

RedneckGDX has been updated with proper Route 66 support and support for Rides Again. Which is, you know, nice.

Neat! I do wish they were a bit better about writing install instructions though, I feel like they're missing some bits. I got R66 working, but what do I need for Rides Again? And can I play user maps now?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

Are there any difficulty rebalancing features yet?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcknq-wQn3E

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

man put a warning before you blind link to some gamergate shithead

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Excited for this game. Hopefully it comes to steam.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

I got R66 working, but what do I need for Rides Again?
Rides Again's a seperate stand-alone game, so just dump the Java file in its folder (in the GOG release it should be the "AGAIN" subdirectory)

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Excited for this game. Hopefully it comes to steam.
The newsletter email GOG sent out about it says it's a timed release, so presumably it'll be on Steam, Itch, Discord, Hamstringer, Tosspot, Harold and Nintendo Switch eShop in a few months time.

Speaking of Retro FPSes and Switch, there should be some cool news very soon, and by very soon I mean the publisher posted it on Facebook early and quickly deleted it, but not before I saw it. I saw everything.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 18, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I watched the HL2 done quicker speddrun and it reminded me so much of tribes skiing i wish someone used source to make a tribes mod

And then i watched a doom 3 expansion pack speedrun and was reminded of that brief post-hl2 period where it was apparently mandated that every game have a gravity gun. Bleh

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Rides Again's a seperate stand-alone game, so just dump the Java file in its folder (in the GOG release it should be the "AGAIN" subdirectory)

Ah, I saw discussion that that might be how they had to handle it but thought they might have figured something out. I actually (just to make it hard on myself I guess) go the other way around and drop the files I need into a GDX folder. Got it working though, I got all the files I figured I'd probably need set up when the first release came out in anticipation of this.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

man put a warning before you blind link to some gamergate shithead

What are you talking about? Gggmanlives is a channel linked on this thread pretty often.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

What are you talking about? Gggmanlives is a channel linked on this thread pretty often.

it's literally in his name, he's a shitlord who hates women. sure he does retro fps stuff, but warn people before you link to that, same as you would with sgtmarkiv or whatever.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yeah not to stir up the hive or anything but I feel like it's pretty relevant to the thread. GGGman is a huge sexist prick who publicly supports GamerGate and has on many occasions in his vids complained about (sigh) Feminazis and (double siiiigh) SJWs so, just a warning.

Also I'm an hour into Project Warlock and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The sound design needs serious work and the entire modern upgrade/RPG lite system feels like it's getting in the way of what should be some fun chunky shooting action. Also the music is absolutely atrocious and I had to turn it off and just put on the Dusk soundtrack. Maybe it'll grow on me the more I play. Absolutely wild to think that the lead dev is younger than most retro FPSes...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure i get the hate either. His reviews seems fine and of good content. Him and Lazy Game Reviews are my go to channels for older game reviews or FPS stuff.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

chaosapiant posted:

Not sure i get the hate either. His reviews seems fine and of good content. Him and Lazy Game Reviews are my go to channels for older game reviews or FPS stuff.

The hate was literally explained and makes good sense. I don't know what's to get.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Glagha posted:

The hate was literally explained and makes good sense. I don't know what's to get.

I was posting my post right when the lengthier detailed post was posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm glad that I still don't know what gamergate is. I've never seen a warning before linking his videos before so how should I know?

He has good video reviews and is all I knew from him. I guess you are all more interested in the person behind them.