Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
plagueclaws do own but not enough to justify 6 to a stack, doomwheels own, trech owns to the bone. Plus why wouldn't you put the slaves in their own stacks and back them up with your main stack made from actual troops if its campaign? Its like you never met a single set of shielded troops or elite infantry...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I thought following your main stack around with a chaff stack was the only way to play Skaven.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I thought following your main stack around with a chaff stack was the only way to play Skaven.

right? like imagine wasting one of your valuable 19 spots on skaven slingers.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
arty spam is the worst form of degeneracy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

queef anxiety posted:

C&C doesn't play nicely though as the new mixu lords/heros don't get the bonus stats so die incredibly fast to a pack of state troops.

That's too bad. Is there a submod or somewhere that updates the stats?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Panfilo posted:

That's too bad. Is there a submod or somewhere that updates the stats?

not that i know of but I didn't look very hard

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

queef anxiety posted:

arty spam is the worst form of degeneracy

There's something glorious about feilding three helblasters is one army though.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

kidkissinger posted:

last time I fielded more than 2 artillery pieces was when i got really high and maxed everything out in the laboratory to watch 20000 zombies run at a bunch of empire arty with flight of the Valkyries playing really loud hopefully i can mod it to do the same thing with big bessie or whatever its called

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Infantry win brawls, steam-tanks win battles, but artillery wins wars. Arty spam is great, because then it becomes a game of keep away where you play a defensive battle where you use your smaller army to defend the guns, which should shoot unceasingly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kidkissinger posted:

I prefer flame cannons. Sure they're inefficient, but there's just something about lobbing those fireballs into a mass of greenskins or skaven.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

queef anxiety posted:

last time I fielded more than 2 artillery pieces was when i got really high and maxed everything out in the laboratory to watch 20000 zombies run at a bunch of empire arty with flight of the Valkyries playing really loud hopefully i can mod it to do the same thing with big bessie or whatever its called

3 helblasters, 1 great cannon, 1 rocket battery. Does the trick.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
half the fun of this game is watching little cartoon men getting pulped by cannon balls.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

uber_stoat posted:

half the fun of this game is watching little cartoon men getting pulped by cannon balls.

idk i love big kaiju battles. watching a dragon kill a hell pit abomination in a cool sync finisher and then get swarmed and die to the rats falling out of its underbelly is fanfuckingtastic

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

My ideal late game Empire army fields the RoR Luminark and two Helblasters in a chevron setup with handgunners support. Sometimes I end up netting a unit in a position where both Helblasters and the Luminark can hit it and goddamn do things melt fast under that fire.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

skaven are my favourite faction in the lore and i keep trying to enjoy playing them in total warhammer but i just don't have fun with them.

here are my problems:

- i am not good at strategy games. this means wrangling all my units back into place as they flee 5 times per battle is very difficult
- as well as dealing with endless bullshit in the battles, you have to deal with endless loyalty or food poo poo on the campaign map
- their cool stuff doesnt actually seem that effective. i've gotten good use out of the doomwheel, but the warpfire throwers arent very good at killing crowds like i hoped they would be, and the plague bombers just seem like they suck rear end.
- everything just busts through my line and kills my ranged stuff, even when my skaven dipshits arent retreating.

edit: my favourite factions to play are mostly the horde ones, particularly kholek suneater, because i dont have to deal with so much campaign map poo poo and kholek is a big godzilla who smooshes everyone. I also like norsca and the dwarves a lot. i was hoping skaven would be like evil dwarves.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 18, 2018

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Took me forever to realise you could hold down left click to aim 'breath' and other attacks like that so you can cut across lines

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Motherfucker posted:

Took me forever to realise you could hold down left click to aim 'breath' and other attacks like that so you can cut across lines

A game 2 addition, and a great one at that.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

plagueclaws do own but not enough to justify 6 to a stack, doomwheels own, trech owns to the bone. Plus why wouldn't you put the slaves in their own stacks and back them up with your main stack made from actual troops if its campaign? Its like you never met a single set of shielded troops or elite infantry...

I don't roll around with 2 stacks usually. I play skaven... maybe differently I guess? I don't ever conquest whole territories, I just attack good capitals nearby and then raise an army to leave behind, which will generate lots of food so I can max the next conquered city very queekly. I'm at war with a lotta factions, but it generates a lot of unusual allies. trech owns but not nearly as much as queek. nothing in this game is as good as queek.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

WHAT:catstare:

How did I never realize that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don Gato posted:

Changes the game with winds of death. Just wipe out a frontline in 3 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fj1Ohlxeas

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Don Gato posted:

RIGHT???

Just that knowledge makes stuff like plaguepriests twenty times worse because their narrow little 'pestilent breath' attack RUINS when it cuts across your dudes, in fact the narrowness is a boon because you barely ever kill your own troops with it. Works with the norsca bosses ship attack too.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah, holding left click to angle wind spells is a new thing in WH2 that isn't really explained anywhere in the game I think? One of those things you don't know about unless someone tells you on reddit, forums, streams etc.

I hope Greenskins are next for a big Old World update, this VC update is looking really good imo. This is better than the Rites.

Also, Lokhir apparently starts with his own special Black Ark "The Tower of the Blessed Dread" and whenever he conquers a major settlement with a port he gains a charge to build a new Black Ark. I think Lokhir might just be my first DE campaign.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I don't roll around with 2 stacks usually. I play skaven... maybe differently I guess? I don't ever conquest whole territories, I just attack good capitals nearby and then raise an army to leave behind, which will generate lots of food so I can max the next conquered city very queekly. I'm at war with a lotta factions, but it generates a lot of unusual allies. trech owns but not nearly as much as queek. nothing in this game is as good as queek.

I really think there is some kind of idea or best strategy for Skaven similar to this. I mean, the whole all their cities look like ruins would matter more if there was a reason for some of them to be ruins, and the more cities you have, the less food. But then the cities get that building that increases profit in the whole province, and all buildings make the same skavenbucks, so that doesn't make sense either. I just paint the map.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
plus you can build things now that give you a food or two in your province capitals, and combined with the more food commandments now not even reducing your income, theres not much reason to not overrun everything

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
3 warp lightning, 3 plague claws, a couple of casters and stormvermin is unbeatable by the ai

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why don't skaven have, like, mushroom farms or some poo poo. Seems like having a viable food production source would make you Rat King real quick

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

jokes posted:

Why don't skaven have, like, mushroom farms or some poo poo. Seems like having a viable food production source would make you Rat King real quick

Some regions do. I'm pretty sure that any settlement with pastures gives Skaven access to a special food building.

Everywhere else they've pretty much poisoned the land with their presence.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Skaven are carnivorous.

Their food farms basically pump out cronenburgs by feeding them with poo poo rice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Motherfucker posted:

Skaven are carnivorous.

Their food farms basically pump out cronenburgs by feeding them with poo poo rice.

Also they already eat more then the other races combined at low food levels. And their normal food levels are that the powerful have abundance, while the weak are starving.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Skaven are carnivorous.

Nah, they just eat everything but have a preference for meats.

Children of the Horned Rat posted:

The Skaven can and do eat anything, but like most omnivores, they also have foods that they seek out regularly and in preference to others. For the Skaven, this is fresh, raw meat.
I estimate that about a quarter of all the meat goods produced in the Empire—one carcass of every four—are devoured or destroyed by Skaven.
They claim livestock from our farms (the extensively mutilated corpses left behind after this often leads farmers to blame fantastical beasts such as Wyverns for theses attacks), steal from the stockyards and warehouses, and find their way into the cold stores of taverns, inns and manor houses, all for the lure of fresh meat.
Of course, the reason they only take cow, pig or goat is because Human flesh is slightly harder to obtain. When it is easily procured, however—say if they find a lone traveller in the wilderness, or a child too far from his home—they take such pleasure whenever they can.

They do produce food, on an industrial scale. They all have creative names; the pasture buildings ingame are Putrid Rice, Fetid Grain, and Black Corn. But its all in control of the powerful, who of course choose to squander it rather than seek any form of fair allocation. And even past that, they reproduce quickly enough that they're in a constant state of food pressure, regardless of their capacity to produce food. You'd think the vast amounts of overcrowding would lead to pestilence and other forms of attrition keep things in more a state of equilibrium, but skaven are described as actually fairly disease resistant, so go figure. And their metabolism is wack so they're somehow meant to eat like their whole body weight a day which is insane and dumb but WARHAMMER!!!

More CotHR lore posted:

As well as strength and speed, the Skaven have incredible constitutions. Though they often carry great plagues (both deliberately and accidentally), they rarely fall victim to such things themselves, and then only to the most virulent strains.
The Skaven, it seems, are the ultimate survivors: all but immune to disease and infection, able to live in any environment, even the most disgusting, and able to nourish themselves on anything at all, be it rotting corpses, or sewer scum, or even Warpstone!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a mod to stop the AI all just unilaterally declaring war on you towards the end game? they all do it the same turn and its ridiculous, regardless of their relations

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

You should be able to sacrifice skavenslaves for food, and then just never stop recruiting them on your permanent farm stack.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Double Bill posted:

You should be able to sacrifice skavenslaves for food, and then just never stop recruiting them on your permanent farm stack.

that'd be a cool mechanic. Booting a stack should add food on that turn :V if you get fired from a skaven army I mean you literally get in the fuckin' fire

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

jokes posted:

Trying to be the rat king just gets you stabbed

Why doesn't the US have, like, universal healthcare or some poo poo

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 18, 2018

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Double Bill posted:

Ah, the well concieved cat rat and rat ranch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One of the more horrifying skaven things that never really gets represented by games or models is that the slaves aren't just skaven, there's also human slaves, dwarf slaves, goblin slaves, etc all mashed together in gross skaven slave pits. Speaking as a human that sounds like a fate worse than death.

E: Am I the only one getting a slow burn resentment for Tyrion because you have to listen to him every time you open a campaign?

I AM TYRION... HEIR OF ANARI- boom headshot.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 18, 2018

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
being forced into close proximity to dwarfs does sound worse than death

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I bit the bullet and bought the Dark Gods Edition for the first game. What's a good race to start off with? I love Vampire Counts, but if they're getting a big update soon I'd rather delay that, and I think Beastmen look neat as hell, but they're a seperate purchase.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

VC can confed VC, but can VC confed VC and VC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

albany academy posted:

VC can confed VC, but can VC confed VC and VC?

Nope, Von Carstein count as part of the VC race, whereas VSea are their own separate race.