Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

Coming soon to your entire rear view mirror.

BMW X7, woof

Dang this is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ultimate driving machine lol

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i know two people who will pre-order that

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

ultimate driving machine lol

RIP BMW circa 2000

When the E31, E38, E39, and E46 were all being sold.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That is loving gross. :barf: :jerryleaving: The Camaro headlights are okay though.

I hope someone makes an aftermarket version of the grill using matching BMW paint codes and a normal sized grill.

one of you photoshoppin' goons, please fix that poo poo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

that is exactly what the people who actually buy those things want

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

But where are the C pillar roundels?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah they should have gone for a dinner-plate sized light-up logo like Mercedes

Or hell just put in giant letters BMW

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

one of you photoshoppin' goons, please fix that poo poo

I got you, fam

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Powershift posted:

I got you, fam

Oink!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

On the other hand, the new Volvo S60 looks classy as gently caress just like everything else they've put out since they got bought out by Xi Jinping. Like yeah styling elements are great and all but poo poo, they got the proportions right. It looks sedan shaped. That's a loving work of art these days, what with Mazda getting the styling down great but the proportions on the 3 are just bad, the front end is huge and the back end ain't and it's just fuckin lopsided. Everything on the S60 looks great - low hood, short front overhang even though it's FWD, proper glass windows instead of tank periscopes like on a Camaro, and the back end isn't stuck up in the air like the way a cat sticks its rear end up when you pet it...

...but here's to wondering if the build quality and reliability are as bad as Chinese politics

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 18, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

...but here's to wondering if the build quality and reliability are as bad as Chinese politics

Early indications say they are, unfortunately

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

Coming soon to your entire rear view mirror.

BMW X7, woof

I saw the rear end of a X4 yesterday. It was so loving bland. I'm surprised BMW's design team let that design leave the clay model stage.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

You Am I posted:

I saw the rear end of a X4 yesterday. It was so loving bland. I'm surprised BMW's design team let that design leave the clay model stage.

The people have spoken.

Maybe we should form a committee and choose peoples cars for them based on their budgets and needs. Brown manual V8 wagons for many, minivans and pickups for the rest.

Such a travesty that the sedan is dead.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

I got you, fam

I don't think that's really in line with the current vehicular design trends.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't think that's really in line with the current vehicular design trends.

Neeee, what's up doc?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ultimate Mango posted:

The people have spoken.

Maybe we should form a committee and choose peoples cars for them based on their budgets and needs. Brown manual V8 wagons for many, minivans and pickups for the rest.

Such a travesty that the sedan is dead.

The sedan is not so great, it is a shame that the hatchback is in its death throws because apparently people can't handle lowering their enormous fat asses literally ones of inches into a car with a sane ride height.

If people could manage parking their giant fat-rear end-mobiles in a parking spot I'd care less, but it's clear the average person cannot handle the complexities of parking anything larger than a Polo.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

You guys are thinking too small!

This will be the front end eventually. They can hide the lights/sensors etc in the grill spacing itself!

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

Guinness posted:

Early indications say they are, unfortunately

Where are these indications coming from? Everything I've read about the car has been very positive.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Minnesota Mixup posted:

This will be the front end eventually. They can hide the lights/sensors etc in the grill spacing itself!

:golfclap: Bravo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Minnesota Mixup posted:

One of my favourite comics about Audi's design direction (which is becoming true):

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Saddamnit posted:

Where are these indications coming from? Everything I've read about the car has been very positive.

I think it’s far to early to be making claims about reliability for a car for which deliveries haven’t even really started. Hell, Volvo only let us drive the cars last week!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Now it just looks like a Lincoln.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One of my favourite comics about Audi's design direction (which is becoming true):

I'm sad they canceled the evolution because thats where it was heading too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

2019 Audi A8

It's like a Gilette razor, it got an extra blade on the side intakes from last year.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Olympic Mathlete posted:

2019 Audi A8

It's like a Gilette razor, it got an extra blade on the side intakes from last year.

Other then the grill 'face' the car is completely non descript. Its like belt lines rose and designer ideas froze.

Actually this kind of design homogenity and ever larger grilles remind me of 80s wedges. Until something changes or someone tries something new successfully it wont change.
Marketing is probably breathing down designers neck 24/7.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 18, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Progress
original

make it wider

Now make it high and wider and stupid

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 18, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fo3 posted:

Progress
original

make it wider

Now make it high and wider and stupid

*image macro of someone mashing a button marked 'gently caress, GO BACK!' *

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Img_bmw_evolution_final_revised_2_THISONE_editted_forpublish_rev3_FINAL.jpg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
forgot FINAL2

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

"Entire front is a grille" was a successful and beloved style from the '60s through the end of the '80s, the aluminum tailgate panel on the Platinum F150 y'all love making fun of debuted on the Bricknose, that BMW isn't nearly as ugly as most of its competitors. None of those matter if you do the right thing and buy a Cayenne.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 18, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

2019 Audi A8

...yet cheaper to run than a Gilette Razor.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The new 3-series grille is bad as well. It's like someone flaring their nostrils at you.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I like the X7. If I wanted an opulent luxobarge for poor-watching I would consider this or the new navigator.

It is a far cry from what you think of for something exciting or fun (classic BMW) but it’s a modern SUV. It’s not going off-road and it knows it so it’s not too tall. It doesn’t have any pretense of smooth lines like the Levante or Cayenne and those look dumb as gently caress. It knows it’s going to be a flashy, opulent, masculine cuntmobile and owns it. This or the Navigator are my choices for favorite 2019 cuntmobiles I will never own or drive but am entitled to an opinion of anyway.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Other then the grill 'face' the car is completely non descript. Its like belt lines rose and designer ideas froze.

Actually this kind of design homogenity and ever larger grilles remind me of 80s wedges. Until something changes or someone tries something new successfully it wont change.
Marketing is probably breathing down designers neck 24/7.

Even Audi's expensive cars are so incredibly boring looking these days... The R8 has just become so clean and 'perfect' in terms of lines and form that it's now just really boring to look at. Same goes from everything downstream of it too. They definitely have a style now but it's just snoresville to look at.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

NumbersMatching320 posted:

"Entire front is a grille" was a successful and beloved style from the '60s through the end of the '80s, the aluminum tailgate panel on the Platinum F150 y'all love making fun of debuted on the Bricknose, that BMW isn't nearly as ugly as most of its competitors. None of those matter if you do the right thing and buy a Cayenne.

Entire front as a grill is not something BMW has even done though is my point. They've always had a left and right grill to pay homage to their old cars like the 328. Even when they wanted a full grille for cooling they've always had the symbolic 'kidneys' left and right grille at centre to pay tribute to their old style (see e21,30, 31,32,34 etc) - newer ones just had the two small grilles. to make the entire front 2 huge grilles is dumb, but as mentioned, their buyers will probably love it. It would probably look better if they abandoned their heritage of 2 separate grilles with vertical fins for this monstrosity. I really think it would look better without it

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 18, 2018

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Even Audi's expensive cars are so incredibly boring looking these days... The R8 has just become so clean and 'perfect' in terms of lines and form that it's now just really boring to look at. Same goes from everything downstream of it too. They definitely have a style now but it's just snoresville to look at

Audi design is for people with crippling OCD.
I really admire.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I like Audi’s designs. The B9 A4/A5 is a clean and crisp design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

I like Audi’s designs. The B9 A4/A5 is a clean and crisp design.

The best part is the uninterrupted line around the car that makes the a pillar, quarter panel and hood gap practically seamless.