Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

It's probably weird of me to like this, but I love the Alan Davis "inside of the lips is just flat white, where the teeth are" thing. It always looks better than individual teeth.

Not at all. Like I mentioned previously, the big beaming smiles are one of my favourite things he does:

One foible of his - and it's not really something I'm criticising in particular - which has increased in recent years is the way he always draws surprised characters leaning back slightly, possibly with one hand raised but almost always with their two middle fingers together and their index and little fingers spread out. You can see a prototypical version with Dr Mid-Nite on this cover:

I'll see if I can find any more recent examples.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alan Davis is the best. Holy hell is he just wonderful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The hidden gem is Reed's headshot at top right that makes him look like he just showed up totally hungover

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

The hidden gem is Reed's headshot at top right that makes him look like he just showed up totally hungover

Dale Eaglesham is an excellent artist in his own way Site!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Indeed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didnt say the rest was bad, just that that was funny!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

The worst thing about Eaglesham isn't his art, it's his name. How do you pronounce it? Is it Eagle-sham or Eagles-ham? I demand answers, damnit.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Madkal posted:

The worst thing about Eaglesham isn't his art, it's his name. How do you pronounce it? Is it Eagle-sham or Eagles-ham? I demand answers, damnit.

It's pronounced Wooster.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

Ee-glesham.

Imagine that the a is an apostrophe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

X-O posted:

It does look better for sure.

We were taught in art school not to draw what you can't see and learning that made a big difference in my illustrations. A lot of bad or more primitive art is people drawing what they know is there but that a person normally can't really notice or even see. Like the way kids draw individual hairs on someone's head, triangles for noses, footballs for eyes, outlining lips, rendering individual leaves on trees and stuff like that. Individual teeth fall into this category.

Hopefully I'm explaining that properly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rhyno posted:

Alan Davis is the best. Holy hell is he just wonderful.

He's a huge and obvious influence on Bryan Hitch, too. Which is no bad thing, because Hitch is a fine artist in his own right.

Davis does do teeth, though, or used to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jedit posted:

He's a huge and obvious influence on Bryan Hitch, too. Which is no bad thing, because Hitch is a fine artist in his own right.

I think showing teeth in that context is okay though, since clenching teeth is a part of the specific emotion that you're supposed to read on his face, and that wouldn't be properly conveyed if it was just flat white

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah that it's a choice and not a stylistic tic (e.g. liefeld et al)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jedit posted:

He's not drawing a line around every tooth though so this works fine. It's when you draw them like a window screen that there's a problem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

He's not drawing a line around every tooth though so this works fine. It's when you draw them like a window screen that there's a problem.

You might have a problem with A Crooked World, then. Individual teeth galore in that one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I think you can probably do individual teeth with color that don’t trigger the “something is wrong here!” brain siren, but if you’re doing it in the pencils it’s going to be too noticeable unless you’re doing a hyper close up or something.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Fantastic Four should be happy, they're having big science adventures!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who would've been drawing X-Men comics in the late 90s, around the time Seagle and Kelly would've been writing it?

They had a style that I'd say was sort of partway between Davis and Joe Mad and it's what I think of when I think "late 90s X-Men" (when Marvel was trying to make all their comics covers look like glossy magazines), but I can't conjure up a name in my mind.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who would've been drawing X-Men comics in the late 90s, around the time Seagle and Kelly would've been writing it?

They had a style that I'd say was sort of partway between Davis and Joe Mad and it's what I think of when I think "late 90s X-Men" (when Marvel was trying to make all their comics covers look like glossy magazines), but I can't conjure up a name in my mind.
I believe the "primary" artist on Kelly's run was Carlos Pacheco and for Seagle it was Chris Bachalo? Both of them have gone through a number of styles over the years. I'm pretty sure they did the lion's share of that run's covers if nothing else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/thealexrossart/status/1052277895324946432

Wow

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

I believe the "primary" artist on Kelly's run was Carlos Pacheco and for Seagle it was Chris Bachalo? Both of them have gone through a number of styles over the years. I'm pretty sure they did the lion's share of that run's covers if nothing else.

Hmm. Pacheco and Bachalo sound about right. Did Dodson do anything on the X-books at that time?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hmm. Pacheco and Bachalo sound about right. Did Dodson do anything on the X-books at that time?

That was around the time he was drawing Generation X, if memory serves.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Must be what I'm thinking of.

Edit:

Whenever I look at these covers, I can't help but think "glossy magazine". I don't mean that in a bad way, though. I like he

I think it's probably because of all the text on it.

Not even just Generation X, of course. Other books did similar things.

Of course that's just my favourite style - sort of like the really high-end opening theme animation from an otherwise crap-looking 80s cartoon.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 18, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Oh nooooo. Yikes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cadet Handsome Squidward.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why is Hulk contorted into a swastika?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is Aatrek designing Star Trek comic covers now?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Are bad feet shooting fish in a barrel? If so, apologies. From Infinity War:

I know you might focus on Drax there, but drag your eyes over to Moondragon, who appears to be walking on pencil tips.

And I always crack up when I come across this BabyCable on the ad page:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

We've had some good Alan Davis love over the last few pages. Let's check in on Excalibur #59 and #60, to see what happens when he takes a break! The results are...

yikes. T'Challa, what happened to your hand? And Brian Braddock, what happened to your... face? And posture?

But that's nothing compared to Lizard Person Kitty Pryde:

Also note that Super-Genius Tony Stark doesn't know the difference between "ephemeral" and "immaterial." (Or is this not Tony Stark? I don't really know early 90s Avengers.)

I think it's fair to describe the art on these two issues as "less than confident." Fortunately, Davis comes roaring back in #61 with like three full-page panels that are purely an excuse to show Phoenix fighting Galactus.

I love the repeated "meanwhiles". Like, Davis is completely aware that this isn't particularly advancing the plot. (I'm not sure if I posted the panels in the correct order; it's not like it matters.) He just really wants to draw Phoenix fighting Galactus; and who can blame him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thor #6, you know who it is

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was so focused on the Wall of Monsters, I actually didn't notice burning spectral Wolverine there for a second

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Also note that Super-Genius Tony Stark doesn't know the difference between "ephemeral" and "immaterial." (Or is this not Tony Stark? I don't really know early 90s Avengers.)

Pretty sure it's Rhodey.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

zoux posted:

Thor #6, you know who it is

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Pretty sure it's Rhodey.

yeah, pretty sure you’re right. Anyway, I’m also pretty sure it was the writer who didn’t know what “ephemeral” meant.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Phy posted:

I was so focused on the Wall of Monsters, I actually didn't notice burning spectral Wolverine there for a second

Hot claws taken to its logical conclusion.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Wolverine's Hot Claws" sounds like a cross-promotion with Cheetos from 1993.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I think it's fair to describe the art on these two issues as "less than confident." Fortunately, Davis comes roaring back in #61 with like three full-page panels that are purely an excuse to show Phoenix fighting Galactus.

I love the repeated "meanwhiles". Like, Davis is completely aware that this isn't particularly advancing the plot. (I'm not sure if I posted the panels in the correct order; it's not like it matters.) He just really wants to draw Phoenix fighting Galactus; and who can blame him?

I did an Excalibur re-read a couple of months ago, and that was a breath of fresh air. More writers should include pages in the script that are just "Alan, gently caress the plot, draw what you like" and then just never explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DigitalRaven posted:

I did an Excalibur re-read a couple of months ago, and that was a breath of fresh air.

Just to confirm: Excalibur #50 is still one of the all-time great single issues?