Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Aleph Null posted:

The Netflix and Hulu apps on Win10 are buggy as gently caress for me and crash or hang when doing complicated actions such as "click button for full screen" or "search for something".

I switch between Chrome and Firefox, but are you for real that only Edge will do even 1080p?

From the HTML5 section under Netflix System Requirements:
code:
 Resolution:

Google Chrome

Up to 720p on Windows, Mac, and Linux

Up to 1080p on Chrome OS

Internet Explorer up to 1080p

Microsoft Edge up to 4K*

Mozilla Firefox up to 720p

Opera up to 720p

Safari up to 1080p on Mac OS X 10.10.3 or later

*Streaming in 4K requires an HDCP 2.2 compliant connection to a 4K capable display, Intel's 7th generation Core CPU, and the latest Windows updates. 
Check with the manufacturer of your system to verify specifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Apparently this requirement holds for Mac OS as well. That is to say you have to run Windows instead.

I’m glad my TV’s native apps aren’t total garbage, just mostly garbage.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

Can someone confirm/deny this thing about Hereditary for me?

I remember watching it and every now and then something felt "off" about the wide, establishing shots of the house. There was one in particular that was REAL quick and that felt real disconcerting. And apparently... in those wide shots there are naked cultists standing in the bushes/dotted around the scene all watching the house.

Is that true? Because that's real cool and would explain the uneasy feeling I got.

There definitely was in the one near the end when it shifts from day to night. Some of the other wide shots earlier I thought looked like miniatures rather than real shots, which would make sense given all the miniatures shown in the movie. But that may have just been me seeing things.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Electrical Fire posted:

Some of the other wide shots earlier I thought looked like miniatures rather than real shots

I think they used some sort if tilt shift effects. Its a way of filming real life that makes it look like miniatures.
An example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSmgKRx5pBo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

see also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkrtYRxGyuo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I had been thinking about watching it some time because iremember the trailer looked cool when it was in the cinema so I finally picked up Speed Racer on BD. Never seen the cartoon thoguh

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm genuinely curious on your take on the Speed Racer movie since you didn't see the cartoons before. The cartoons aren't great.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The cartoon is like the Flintstones or Scooby Doo, i.e. if you've seen one episode you've seen them all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Imagined posted:

The cartoon is like the Flintstones or Scooby Doo, i.e. if you've seen one episode you've seen them all.

I'd disagree if only because while the majority of them are boring by the book racing adventures, in a small fraction Speed murders an entire group of insane car-stunt worshiping cultists whose field commander he allows to burn alive and then die in a car explosion while screaming his religion will get revenge.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I'd disagree if only because while the majority of them are boring by the book racing adventures, in a small fraction Speed murders an entire group of insane car-stunt worshiping cultists whose field commander he allows to burn alive and then die in a car explosion while screaming his religion will get revenge.

Huh I thought I saw every episode growing up but Speed Racer: Fury Road isn't ringing any bells.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Don Gato posted:

Huh I thought I saw every episode growing up but Speed Racer: Fury Road isn't ringing any bells.

gently caress you for accidentally creating the greatest racing movie concept of all time

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Screaming Idiot posted:

gently caress you for accidentally creating the greatest racing movie concept of all time

Seriously, I want to crowdfund myself into homelessness to get that movie made.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Looked it up, its The Most Dangerous Race which is a 3 part episode.

Speed Racer is a weird show, theres a two parter where in the same episode Speed crushes scorpions launched at him from another race car and opines how unlucky it is he may not get a chance to get to compete in the local racing circuit he uses his car to assault a fortified compound and end a coup attempt by murdering its leader.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And there's the Mammoth Car. And the one with the car so fast it drove people insane. They had to go all Clockwork Orange on Speed.

But yeah, otherwise it's pretty formulaic and clunky.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Imagined posted:

It's still worth watching every episode of Scooby Doo, as it teaches the valuable life lesson that all the monsters in this world are old white dudes trying to get rich.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I watched a lot of The New Scooby-Doo Movies, which iirc was the one with cameos nearly every episode, and the intro was almost entirely cameos.

Was Don Knotts really what people back then found funny?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I watched a lot of The New Scooby-Doo Movies, which iirc was the one with cameos nearly every episode, and the intro was almost entirely cameos.

Was Don Knotts really what people back then found funny?

My dude, have you ever heard of Charlie Callas? He was a 60's comedian. Here he is doing his act and somehow crushing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTmK9NlTN8Y

I have absolutely no trouble believing Don Knotts was considered a riot back then.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Not Operator posted:

My dude, have you ever heard of Charlie Callas? He was a 60's comedian. Here he is doing his act and somehow crushing.

I have absolutely no trouble believing Don Knotts was considered a riot back then.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the joke even is here. Is he imitating someone with a stutter? How is that a joke?

If it becomes clear later, I'll admit I only made it about twenty seconds into that before I couldn't take any more and had to turn it off.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Polaron posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the joke even is here. Is he imitating someone with a stutter? How is that a joke?

If it becomes clear later, I'll admit I only made it about twenty seconds into that before I couldn't take any more and had to turn it off.

I can think of a bunch of jokes on tv shows from the 90s and 2000s where the hilarious premise was "wouldn't it be awful if someone thought you were gay" or "hey that man is acting in a traditionally feminine manner"

we are not so far away from where we used to be

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Scooby Doo celebrity cameos were great because I have no idea if they even used the actual actors. I'm pretty sure there were multiple occasions where the guest was someone who was long dead, like Laurel & Hardy and the Three Stooges.

Then they had noted child favorite Phyllis Diller.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Scooby Doo celebrity cameos were great because I have no idea if they even used the actual actors. I'm pretty sure there were multiple occasions where the guest was someone who was long dead, like Laurel & Hardy and the Three Stooges.

Seeing the episode with Don Adams on some random block of late-80s Saturday-afternoon syndicated programming sent me directly out of my mind as I was a huge fan of both Inspector Gadget and Get Smart.

I think I knew, as a kid, that Get Smart was supposed to be a comedy, but I remember also taking it pretty seriously, somehow.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Scooby-Doo never really stopped being kinda hilarious about celebrity cameos, mostly by just committing really hard to the bit. Just a few years ago, they did a movie with KISS, and it's probably even more ridiculous than you're picturing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V25nZdIjUGI

There's also the TV series that ended with Harlan Ellison recruiting Mystery Inc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For years when I was a kid I thought the Harlem Globetrotters were just Hanna-Barbera characters

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

For years when I was a kid I thought the Harlem Globetrotters were just Hanna-Barbera characters

To be fair that’s basically what they are in real life

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Not Operator posted:

My god, people paid money to watch that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not Operator posted:

I watched this and as a technical showcase it was kind of cool but why is anyone laughing?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

Scooby-Doo never really stopped being kinda hilarious about celebrity cameos, mostly by just committing really hard to the bit. Just a few years ago, they did a movie with KISS, and it's probably even more ridiculous than you're picturing.

There's also the TV series that ended with Harlan Ellison recruiting Mystery Inc.

I have a friend whose daughter had a KISS themed 4th birthday party. Kiss dress, kiss facepaint, kiss cake. Neither parent is a fan of the band (both more into 90s rock/indie). Its because the daughter loves (and I mean LOVES) the kiss/scooby doo movie.

I dont know how much of their actual music she has listened to, if any, but she has a shitload of KISS themed merchandise all the same.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kids In Satan's Service, indeed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

That's the one you're going with? Because Scooby Doo WrestleMania Mystery is a fantastic thing and I don't follow wrestling or know who anyone other than John Cena and Vince McMahon are.

The sequel was supposed to have Hulk Hogan but surprising nobody he was racist and got kicked out of the WWE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Wafer posted:

Many of the guest appearances were cross promotion for other Hanna Barbera cartoons (Laurel & Hardy, the Harlem Globetrotters, pretty much all of the fictional characters like Batman & Robin and the Addams Family) and they also had a Three Stooges cartoon a few years later.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah they pretty obviously grabbed any celebrity they could get hold of, pretty much the same as The Muppet Show did. (Phyllis Diller was on that as well.)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

New Scooby Doo is absolutely amazing - caught when when off work sick a few years ago - they were investigating a rigged golf tournament featuring a famous golfer, "Cougar Woods" who, when he caught them snooping around asked "hey! are you kids meddling?"

Now that's highbrow comedy!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Barudak posted:

I watched this and as a technical showcase it was kind of cool but why is anyone laughing?

Because they found it funny.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They might have found it funny for the time I guess. But that's just indicative of contemporary comedy, whereas there are some comedy bits that are timeless. Some Like it Hot is from the 50s but it's still as funny now as it was then. Or any of the Mel Brooks / Gene Wilder collaborations. They aren't limited by the decade they released in, like a lot of comedies are. Revenge of the Nerds was an 80s classic that is utterly horrifying today outside of John Goodman's role.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like the song oh woah speed racer

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh I was thinking of grease lightning

I will watch he film this weekend so I don’t make an error like this again

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Polaron posted:

Stuttering was a comedy staple for decades, it was pretty much Porky Pig's entire shtick. There were a ton of comedians doing acts like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTnlO9MA7Zo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bv0SovOLwM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The best is they released the Scooby Doo movies with the celebrities, but couldn't get the rights for all of them.

Really Sandy Duncan? You think you're that marketable today that you'd hold out?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

The best is they released the Scooby Doo movies with the celebrities, but couldn't get the rights for all of them.

Really Sandy Duncan? You think you're that marketable today that you'd hold out?

I was going to make a joke about how they couldn't get the rights because Sandy Duncan doesn't answer her calls anymore, but then I discovered she's not dead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was going to make a joke about how they couldn't get the rights because Sandy Duncan doesn't answer her calls anymore, but then I discovered she's not dead.

Which would be even funnier, as if her estate would have been waiting to cash in the resurgence of Sandy Duncan's popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Barudak posted:

Leaded gas.