Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TheMostFrench posted:

Probably because something like 'looking up' can just be an eye movement, which isn't obvious to a player. People would call it bullshit and get mad.

The Batman examples are pretty funny though, I could imagine a henchman going 'Wow that's like the third time that vent covering has fallen out today!' and just going about their business.

I like this one online sketch where the joke is that the minions know that he's there, but pretend not to because they want to avoid him hurting them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5YjlQkDz5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's never made any sense as a design. He's Batman. He should be fast and agile and acrobatic, not a big meat hulk. The only superhero who should be built like a triangle is Superman.

You fool.

You imbecile.

You UTTER disgrace.

What about TRIANGLE MAN? He hates Particle Man and Person Man.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've recently started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic on free mode for the first time in quite a while, and I only now noticed a subtle touch to one of the planets you visit in the game. Most planets are visited by every class on both factions at the same time, everyone conveniently having a reason for their story to go there, but two planets are done in opposite order for the Republic and the Empire. The Republic goes to Taris as their third planet, then Balmorra as their seventh. The Empire is the opposite, going to Balmorra third and then Taris seventh. The Republic liberates Balmorra some time after Imperial players thought they'd crushed the remaining resistance, and the colony on Taris that Republic players left thriving and peaceful is utterly destroyed by the Empire.

Besides just the Empire's starting base on Taris being in the last area Republic players visited and the Empire's final area being where Republic players started, there's a small touch that contributes heavily to the two experiences on Taris having very different tones and atmospheres: the Republic is on Taris during the day. The Empire is on Taris at night.

I have no idea how I missed that detail when I've gone through the planet before, but it's really noticeable once you realize it's happening.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

BioEnchanted posted:

I like this one online sketch where the joke is that the minions know that he's there, but pretend not to because they want to avoid him hurting them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5YjlQkDz5w

I mean there's this classic Batman moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obmdoi8dwZQ

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

You fool.

You imbecile.

You UTTER disgrace.

What about TRIANGLE MAN? He hates Particle Man and Person Man.
Triangle Man is the villain of the piece

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's never made any sense as a design. He's Batman. He should be fast and agile and acrobatic, not a big meat hulk. The only superhero who should be built like a triangle is Superman.

Well Gordon kept flexing around him and showing off so Batman wasn't about to let that slide.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh my god I just spent a 2 hour stretch in the forza horizon vinyl editor and then my game crashed and I loaded the game back up because god damnit I'm finishing this vinyl TONIGHT and the fuckin' game has autosaves/recovery saves in the vinyl editor, so good

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

I like this one online sketch where the joke is that the minions know that he's there, but pretend not to because they want to avoid him hurting them:

I think the actual joke is that his stealth is so upgraded that it completely breaks the AI. I believe that kind of happens in Alpha Protocol when you max stealth and pistols becoming some kind of Invisible Man. I've had a similar thing happen in VtM: Bloodlines, although that might just be because the lighting in that game is weird (after all, it is supposed to entirely take place at night). Like there is the Society of Leopold level where you've got a dozen hunters walking outside, and you could probably just drain the blood out of them all.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Oct 18, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I kind of miss that weird phase where every Unreal Engine character was hilariously buff for no reason

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I kind of miss that weird phase where every Unreal Engine character was hilariously buff for no reason

It began with half of the Unreal Tournament 2004s characters, then Gears of War and then a year later UT3. There were like 4 gears of war games too.

Blame Cliff Bleszinski - not the engine.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mierenneuker posted:

I think the actual joke is that his stealth is so upgraded that it completely breaks the AI. I believe that kind of happens in Alpha Protocol when you max stealth and pistols becoming some kind of Invisible Man. I've had a similar thing happen in VtM: Bloodlines, although that might just be because the lighting in that game is weird (after all, it is supposed to entirely take place at night). Like there is the Society of Leopold level where you've got a dozen hunters walking outside, and you could probably just drain the blood out of them all.

Yes and no. From the video description: "When the guards in the game lowkey don't want to fight you because they know you're the main character, so they act like they don't hear any when you're obliterating their ally in hope that you wont go after them next."

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I think I recall Styx being real good about sound. Every pot, pan, chair, table, etc is effected by the physics engine so you really had to creep around the rooms lest you bump into a cabinet and set of a cascade of trinkets alerting everyone to your presence.

That might be rose tinted glasses speaking. It's been a while.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Vic posted:

It began with half of the Unreal Tournament 2004s characters, then Gears of War and then a year later UT3. There were like 4 gears of war games too.

2k4 was like 50/50 buff people/sticks. UT3 was everyone as boulders carrying guns.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Vic posted:

Nah. It was actually an engine thing with Unreal Engine 3. The thing's default settings for male model skeletons and everything associated with them were gigantic ripped Gears of War muscle men with huge feet. Likewise women were all rail thin with push-up bras, huge butts and weirdly long fingers. Sure, you could alter the defaults but most who worked with that engine didn't so you get things like the Arkham games where Batman, Gordon and Generic Cop #27 all look like they do Zangief's training regiment and Catwoman, Harley and Generic Hostage Lady #19 all share the exact same measurements.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nohman posted:

Nah. It was actually an engine thing with Unreal Engine 3. The thing's default settings for male model skeletons and everything associated with them were gigantic ripped Gears of War muscle men with huge feet. Likewise women were all rail thin with push-up bras, huge butts and weirdly long fingers. Sure, you could alter the defaults but most who worked with that engine didn't so you get things like the Arkham games where Batman, Gordon and Generic Cop #27 all look like they do Zangief's training regiment and Catwoman, Harley and Generic Hostage Lady #19 all share the exact same measurements.

So the Arkham games were just lazy and used a default character model. Riiight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Just check out how many and how diverse the games made in that engine were. They just wanted a buff Batman universe is all. I think we should just call the 2007 - 2017 The Steroid Period.

Vic has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Oct 18, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Am I doing this meme right?

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Oct 18, 2018

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I've recently started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic on free mode for the first time in quite a while, and I only now noticed a subtle touch to one of the planets you visit in the game. Most planets are visited by every class on both factions at the same time, everyone conveniently having a reason for their story to go there, but two planets are done in opposite order for the Republic and the Empire. The Republic goes to Taris as their third planet, then Balmorra as their seventh. The Empire is the opposite, going to Balmorra third and then Taris seventh. The Republic liberates Balmorra some time after Imperial players thought they'd crushed the remaining resistance, and the colony on Taris that Republic players left thriving and peaceful is utterly destroyed by the Empire.

Besides just the Empire's starting base on Taris being in the last area Republic players visited and the Empire's final area being where Republic players started, there's a small touch that contributes heavily to the two experiences on Taris having very different tones and atmospheres: the Republic is on Taris during the day. The Empire is on Taris at night.

I have no idea how I missed that detail when I've gone through the planet before, but it's really noticeable once you realize it's happening.

Is it worth playing these days? Im kind of craving a star war at the moment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Biplane posted:

I'm on preferred mode since I used to be a subscriber, and have free access to everything up through Knights of the Fallen Empire with no notable restrictions. So yeah, I think it's a pretty decent single player RPG I've been having a good time with as long as I pretend the game ends with Shadow of Revan.

Knights of the Fallen Empire is still a dumpster fire and I've felt no desire to subscribe to get Knights of the Eternal Throne, which is apparently getting a new big story arc in December and there's apparently another expansion coming next year.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Vic posted:

Just check out how many and how diverse the games made in that engine were. They just wanted a buff Batman universe is all. I think we should just call the 2007 - 2017 The Steroid Period.

Probably a licensed Batman game didn't have a huge budget and reused some stuff (and then became a hit series.)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Biplane posted:

If you want the best story, roll up an Imperial Agent

If you want the most fun game play, either Knight, Juggernaut or Sorcerer. Maybe Scoundrel. Sorcerer used to be my fav, but they changed the skill tree after I left so I can't vouch for quality at this stage.

There's fun to be had there, and the story is probably worth seeing at least once through as each side if not each class. And some dialogue options are really, really good. But I'd rather play through all story missions again, than focus on one toon and grind for the rest of my days. MMOs are not really my bag.

CzarChasm has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Oct 18, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vic posted:

I think people are right in that the engine makes characters look kinda beefy due to the lighting, but it's an art/tech combo, and Batman's a bad example since they clearly were going for it. UE3 had a lighting model that made everything look very craggy though and with a lot of deep shadows, and I think for a while just making "big burly low poly dude" was the easiest way to make it look good without too much experimentation.

Plus for a lot of 360-gen releases, it's amazing how low resolution some of the assets were underneath and how good the texture filtering and scaling are. Half Life 2 with texture filtering off practically looks like a PS1 game, for example, and with low res shaded textures you get a lot more bang for your buck by going for larger smoothish surfaces instead of a lot of fine detail.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

It's not just the games, the comics do it all the time too. Same with the movies. Batman just shouldn't be buff, but whatever, that fight was lost decades ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not just the games, the comics do it all the time too. Same with the movies. Batman just shouldn't be buff, but whatever, that fight was lost decades ago.

The propotions of Batman tend to get all weird unlike Nightwing which is why theres a reason women love Dick

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Dewgy posted:

UE3 had a lighting model that made everything look very craggy though and with a lot of deep shadows, and I think for a while just making "big burly low poly dude" was the easiest way to make it look good without too much experimentation.

I'm sorry this makes no sense. You create deep shadows by lighting a scene certain way. Polygon count has nothing to do with how beefy the dudes are. UE3 does have a look but meat golems in games have nothing to do with it. It's like saying they couldn't make a face without a soulpatch unless they really tried.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

The propotions of Batman tend to get all weird unlike Nightwing which is why theres a reason women love Dick
Robin is a lot more what Batman should be like.

Batman Beyond really got this right.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I blame the 90s

His chest looks like a cadillac

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's supposed to be a person in peak human condition. Yeah, he shouldn't look like the Hulk in a cape, but he can be buff.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

He's supposed to be a person in peak human condition. Yeah, he shouldn't look like the Hulk in a cape, but he can be buff.

"Peak human condition" can mean a lot of things, but considering the activities he gets up to mostly involve a poo poo-ton of cardio and body-weight exercises, he should not have a weightlifter's physique. A Bruce Lee look would make a lot more sense.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vic posted:

I blame the 90s

And his car is as long as five Cadillacs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I figured a lot of Batman's bulk in his suit came from like, padded armor and gadgets, and the idea that looking like a giant slab of beef would be more intimidating than anything else.

I didn't think he was that meaty when not in his suit in Arkham City.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vic posted:

I'm sorry this makes no sense. You create deep shadows by lighting a scene certain way. Polygon count has nothing to do with how beefy the dudes are. UE3 does have a look but meat golems in games have nothing to do with it. It's like saying they couldn't make a face without a soulpatch unless they really tried.

The only one of these that is an early UE3 game is Alice, and that kind of has the same problem in a different way. She’s got a very porcelain, rounded look because of how the default lighting model works.

It’s not like it’s impossible to make UE3 look good or even that the older games looked bad, but it took some time for there to be more variety in the end result. Bioshock Infinite sure as hell doesn’t look like Gears of War but it’s also seven years newer.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

I figured a lot of Batman's bulk in his suit came from like, padded armor and gadgets, and the idea that looking like a giant slab of beef would be more intimidating than anything else.

I didn't think he was that meaty when not in his suit in Arkham City.

It would be too obvious if Bruce Wayne was an steroid golem (though there's some steroid billionaires nowadays like Jeff Bezos)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cisneros posted:

It would be too obvious if Bruce Wayne was an steroid golem (though there's some steroid billionaires nowadays like Jeff Bezos)

Elon Musk has a very different shaped jawline from before he got famous/wealthy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hairline too

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Batman should just be lithe, fast, and smart. He should beat enemies with planning, trickery, and agility, not by punching them hardest. That's the character.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vic posted:

I blame the 90s

What about the 30s?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Batman should just be lithe, fast, and smart. He should beat enemies with planning, trickery, and agility, not by punching them hardest. That's the character.

Honestly, looking at the Justice League, you might want Batman to be beefy because there's actually not many this shouldn't apply to and you want to maintain some variety in builds. You especially want ways to vary him up from Green Arrow, who rightfully has the same sort of things going for him as Batman, but with a bow and arrow added to the mix. The chief difference in their kit is Batman having less of a specific toolkit and typically needing to engage in fisticuffs more, so he might as well be built to throw a goddamn punch, because he's the only member of the Justice League that's forced to resort to that without any extra tricks.

Logically breaking down how Justice League characters should be built compared to how they're usually depicted, Batman's kind of just a matter of preference, you could go a few valid ways with him. He's not like The Flash and Aquaman, whose powers clearly go towards a certain build that they aren't always depicted with.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Green Arrow should be built actually. You need serious muscles to use a bow.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Lone Badger posted:

A lot of newer depictions have made him pretty swole, not super brick wall chest like Batman gets, but a lot more than what flippy bowmen characters used to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

In the comics his bow has around a 125 pound draw weight. An English longbowman in the middle ages could reach something like a 110 pound draw weight and it literally deformed their skeletons because of the stresses it put on their bodies. I don't know why games have the archers being skinny, those guys should have some serious muscle on them if they're using anything close to Green Arrow.