Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I really wish I weren't a broken person who can't play the copy of FFXV I've owned since release until I'm assured that they won't release any more game-shaping content.

I wish that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I beat the game three days after release, and I ain’t touching it again until they’ve released everything they’re intending to.

Kinda interested in how different an experience it will be.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The games' been as finished as it's ever going to be for a long time, Jesus you guys. The new DLC is only being made because the first three were successful. Just play it if you're interested.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Renoistic posted:

The games' been as finished as it's ever going to be for a long time, Jesus you guys. The new DLC is only being made because the first three were successful. Just play it if you're interested.

The PC version got new free gameplay additions last month. Sorry.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I beat the game three days after release, and I ain’t touching it again until they’ve released everything they’re intending to.

Exact same.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cleretic posted:

The PC version got new free gameplay additions last month. Sorry.

The stuff it added is incredibly minor and would seriously not make an impacting change for most people.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

Same here. In the meantime I have tons of other stuff to play.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just hit chapter 3, when one of your guys alerts you to a Magitek dropship, is there a way to take cover or something?

I'm sick of fighting quest marks and all of a sudden fifteen Magitek guys join in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I just hit chapter 3, when one of your guys alerts you to a Magitek dropship, is there a way to take cover or something?

I'm sick of fighting quest marks and all of a sudden fifteen Magitek guys join in.

Nope. Enjoy it forever!

It's especially nice when they drop in when you're driving and you're forced to abandon your car.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can kill all the airship guys in one hit with magic

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh boy!

...those fucks always seem to drop when I'm on some 'find X' quest, so I have to fight them all just so I can grab Cindy some goddamn fiberglass. :sigh:

They're just annoying.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

You can kill all the airship guys in one hit with magic

Yep. This. Craft magic grenades and don't treat them like megalixirs.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Can't seem to find a straight answer elsewhere -- has the PC performance improved significantly since the demo? I have a pretty robust system but found that my FPS was going to CRAZY low rates (10 fps from 60) during cut scenes at the gas station with Cindy and a fair amount of monkeying around has made no improvements. GMG has a great sale on it but I'm really debating whether it's an upgrade from my regular PS4 (which is *crazy* because my computer is about twice as powerful as the PS4 otherwise).

Is it something I can expect an improvement on if I bite the bullet or is FFXV just sort of an optimization mess on PC?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yep. This. Craft magic grenades and don't treat them like megalixirs.

Do note that your bros overact the hell out of the friendly fire on those things. It really doesn't do much damage to them, so don't be afraid to nuke Prompto.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Welcome to FFXV's interpretation of random encounters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

Can't seem to find a straight answer elsewhere -- has the PC performance improved significantly since the demo? I have a pretty robust system but found that my FPS was going to CRAZY low rates (10 fps from 60) during cut scenes at the gas station with Cindy and a fair amount of monkeying around has made no improvements. GMG has a great sale on it but I'm really debating whether it's an upgrade from my regular PS4 (which is *crazy* because my computer is about twice as powerful as the PS4 otherwise).

Is it something I can expect an improvement on if I bite the bullet or is FFXV just sort of an optimization mess on PC?

IIRC The demo caused a lot of systems to chug as it renders a herd of monsters off screen at all times. Double check i didnt make that up, but understand the games graphic also have lots of flexibility on PC right down to beautiful PSX graphics.

Dross posted:

Ride a chocobo and never fight a single one

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Dross posted:

See, I considered it as less 'random encounters' because they are very telegraphed, and more like literally the worst possible interpretation of something like Skyrim's dragons.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'd say the worst possible interpretation of Skyrim's dragons are Skyrim's dragons.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

corn in the bible posted:

People always say FFT is crazy unfair but it's never been true

I saved right before THAT solo fight. Eventually I concluded that the fight was unwinnable at my current state. That was my only save. RIP playthrough.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Did you try screaming continuously without end?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Kanfy posted:

I'd say the worst possible interpretation of Skyrim's dragons are Skyrim's dragons.

Eh, you can usually see them from some level of distance which means they're theoretically more avoidable. They also turn up way less often, and fights against dragons occasionally approach being engaging fights.

They're both terrible, but I'd say FFXV barely ekes out a 'win' in this one just by being more annoying.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I saved right before THAT solo fight. Eventually I concluded that the fight was unwinnable at my current state. That was my only save. RIP playthrough.

the game presents it as an honourable sword duel but you can win that way because he's better at swordfighting than you are, I believe the standard strategy is to scream until you achieve unity with the speed force and then shoot him in the face with a gun 700 times before he can move

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nope. Enjoy it forever!

It's especially nice when they drop in when you're driving and you're forced to abandon your car.
I never fought those guys when I didn't want to, and I never had to abandon my car or even take more than fifteen seconds of menu time to make sure I had a decently powerful magic equipped to huck and kill them all in one turn. Like, you can just keep running or driving and you're good. They don't really chase you at all.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

cock hero flux posted:

the game presents it as an honourable sword duel but you can win that way because he's better at swordfighting than you are, I believe the standard strategy is to scream until you achieve unity with the speed force and then shoot him in the face with a gun 700 times before he can move

My first playthrough Ramza was a monk with two hands, maxed out brave and power buffing equips, I just walked up and punched him in the face

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

it probably wasnt..RIP

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone who doesn't cycle their saves when given the option is insane imo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I keep hearing that its possible to make those fights unwinnable, the Weigraf one and the Castle one, and maybe the one with Gafgarion, but I don't see how it's possible. Why would you ever not level the main character up?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gologle posted:

I keep hearing that its possible to make those fights unwinnable, the Weigraf one and the Castle one, and maybe the one with Gafgarion, but I don't see how it's possible. Why would you ever not level the main character up?

Levels don't matter all that much in FFT. The issue is there are a handful of abilities/equipment that can make the fight winnable (as in having some of them will get you there; not that you need a specific set of abilities). But if you don't have the right tools (or aren't clever enough to figure out how to use the tools available in a very difficult battle), then :rip:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

I always wanted to think that this wasn’t the “standard” method, just one that had a good chance of working for anybody stuck there. Because most people would be able to get past it, even if it was a bit tricky for their Ramza. But I’m beginning to think that no, most people really are bad at FFT.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I had a black chocobo and just rescued Ramza with it which was funny

Barudak
May 7, 2007

aegof posted:

I always wanted to think that this wasn’t the “standard” method, just one that had a good chance of working for anybody stuck there. Because most people would be able to get past it, even if it was a bit tricky for their Ramza. But I’m beginning to think that no, most people really are bad at FFT.

I got stuck there even knowing that strategy and having, or at leasting think I had, built my character to do it and went back to a previous save to grind more and given it was my third attempt at beating the game got bored and quit.

Maybe attempt 4 Ill get past him.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The first time I played FFT I sort of inadvertantly had set myself up for perfect success because Ramza was a Lancer with two-hands and some stupidly powerful spear, and in both the Weigraf and Gafgarion battles, I just Jumped and one-shotted them

Only after did I read about the potential for screwing yourself over, realized my luck, and that's when I started rotating game saves

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

aegof posted:

Probably 100% of the claimed unwinnable playthroughs could in fact get past that battle. But either a lack of knowledge on the player's part or an extreme reliance on luck definitely could make it seem impossible and sap any motivation for the casual player to continue playing.

Me? My Capricorn Attack Up Monk Ramza gave him a solid punch on the noggin.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 18, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LadyPictureShow posted:

make -ara grenades if you want to clean up fifteen m-teks in a split second.

zedprime posted:

Did you try screaming continuously without end?

scream doesn't unlock until chapter 4. have a nice day ramza

(the real solution is to drop all your Potions and Hi-Potions so all you have left is X-Potions and then equip r:auto-potion. which, a cheese like that shouldn't even need to be on the menu but basically everything about the entire riovanes sequence is horribly designed.)

gigglefeimer posted:

yes this is really helpful to fist-time players who don't know anything about the affinity circle and probably don't have spare JP. at least chemist starts with enough JP to pick up auto-potion even if you've never used the class once. and if you have used chemist, you probably already have it because it's cheap and useful.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 18, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

scream doesn't unlock until chapter 4. have a nice day ramza
Yell is available from the start though

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

yes this is really helpful to fist-time players who don't know anything about the affinity circle and probably don't have spare JP. at least chemist starts with enough JP to pick up auto-potion even if you've never used the class once. and if you have used chemist, you probably already have it because it's cheap and useful.

Um, I wasn't giving advice, just sharing an anecdote from my first playthrough. Chill, man.

Also, Auto-potion costs more than the initial JP amount. Your Ramza must have gotten shared JP from a Chemist in your party.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

gigglefeimer posted:

Also, Auto-potion costs more than the initial JP amount. Your Ramza must have gotten shared JP from a Chemist in your party.

honestly it was probably rollover bug jp from squire lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best solution is to hack the game and replace Weigraf with an Algus/AR-GAAATHHHH sprite with minimum stats and name him Wimpy and make his job Dork and edit the sprites so he cries when he gets hit.

e: And find a way to delete Riovanes Rooftop, and Rafa and Malak along with it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Just put the Cow Level from D2 into the game. No, shut up, just do it. It's impossible? gently caress you do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

gigglefeimer posted:

Probably 100% of the claimed unwinnable playthroughs could in fact get past that battle. But either a lack of knowledge on the player's part or an extreme reliance on luck definitely could make it seem impossible and sap any motivation for the casual player to continue playing.

Yeah. Fft really doesn't teach you a lot of it's mechanics, which is a fair but different complaint, But if I can beat 1.3 without using jp tricks or anything just from reading a battle mechanics faq, I really find most of the claims that wiegraf was literally unbeatable hard to believe