Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wonder if they could just do Monster Factory independently of Polygon. They said when they resigned that they would come back for an occasional MF, but that doesn't seem likely anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I hope so because Monster Factory is one of the best things the McElroys have ever done. I love TAZ and MBMBaM but I’ve never cried laughing from those.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I wonder if they left because they were planning on shifting to a more serious format.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's a bit too conspiracy theoryish and petty, especially considering they're two of the founders of the drat site. The plain and simple reason is that managing a podcast empire and doing full time work for a gaming website was just taking a toll on their free time, especially with the two of them recently having babies.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

I wonder if they left because they were planning on shifting to a more serious format.

I have to think Polygon would have done almost anything to get Justin and Griffin to stay and drive in McElroy traffic

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Both their podcasts are pretty good for an occasional listen. Tara Long confirmed last week that the humor videos are done and not coming back, which was annoying because every Polygon person has been saying "just wait, folks, the content will be back soon" for months. With the new direction, it makes me wonder if Griffin and Justin would even bother to do a new Monster Factory if they found the time, since it doesn't fit the site anymore.

I hadn't paid enough attention to see that news. loving what? Welp there goes Polygon.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This might seem a bit cynical, but I also don't imagine that the boys will make time for Monster Factory if somebody isn't paying them to do it. They left because they're busy with a bunch of other stuff, and to make room for other sillies like Pat and BDG and Simone. That video game sillies don't pan out much anymore isn't really anybody's fault but the viewers.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

No reason to do any work for Polygon except stop in for a cameo for fun. Especially donating a 100k+ view Monster Factory.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's a really lovely direction for Polygon to take, and I really don't think it's going to pan out for them. Even if the humor wasn't appealing to as many as it was before, I don't think you can just shift to serious stuff and not expect everyone else who DID subscribe for humor to stick around.

Like, that dumb Zelda timeline video is all that's keeping me from unsubscribing.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah bdg is great at stuff like that, like why would you hire him and then go "actually no more funny videos"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BDG is great because he made the most Tim and Eric thing not made by Tim and Eric I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_rWl-jaAiU

This video accompanied a legitimate Craigslist listing for this bed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xad posted:

Yeah bdg is great at stuff like that, like why would you hire him and then go "actually no more funny videos"

the most baffling thing to me is that all that's come out of it is like.. two 5 minute videos a week.

it's so much less content, and it's not like pat or brian write articles or travel significantly or whatever (which is a separate issue, since they seem increasingly reliant on freelance work which never's a good sign). free our boys to make dumb videos again

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Wow, they weren’t kidding, that pizza from Munch Squad actually looks like poo poo:
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/mickeys-creates-spicy-spooky-cheeto-pizza

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 17, 2018

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

BDG is great because he made the most Tim and Eric thing not made by Tim and Eric I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_rWl-jaAiU

This video accompanied a legitimate Craigslist listing for this bed.

Brian is the best

https://twitter.com/briamgilbert/status/1052368475606458369?s=21

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Zeeman posted:

Wow, they weren’t kidding, that pizza from Munch Squad actually looks like poo poo:

I actually really like flaming hot Cheetos but that pizza is a mistake

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Toebone posted:

I actually really like flaming hot Cheetos but that pizza is a mistake

flaming hot cheetos are like my number one trash food no dip involved snack and I would not eat that if they paid me

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Like, that dumb Zelda timeline video is all that's keeping me from unsubscribing.

Unsubscribe and tell them why you did, since avoiding unsubscribers seems to be all they care about.

I unsubscribed as soon as Tara stopped bullshitting us and confirmed that the comedy videos aren't coming back.

I figure, if they do anything worth seeing, I'll hear about it from the Polygon thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I thought the last Yahoo was talking about an extra cheese slice of pizza before they mentioned cheese plates.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Related to Polygon Video:

https://twitter.com/dyfl/status/1052403439613829120

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Video was always bad. Them McElroys figured it out, that's why they stick to audio fun times.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
unless... That video is of the mbmbam TV show

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah but on fb they only had that MF mini episode series, otherwise all their stuff was on YouTube. Unless yt does the same thing

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Zeeman posted:

I have been a little down on Munch Squad lately because I feel like a lot of them have basically just been stealth advertisements for regular junk food. But this one was a gleeful takedown of a terrible press release for a hideous pizza, so I am happy again. (And as I was thinking this during the segment, Travis basically came out and said the same thing.)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I know the brothers recommended the Hey Riddle Riddle podcast, and seeing this animated bit with justin in it got me to listen to the first two episodes and its a decent listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00VY5vrUo4

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/quiz-which-mcelroy-brother-are-you-justin-travis-griffin-or-torvin-the-mouthless-horror/

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I got Muckle.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There were so many people responding to Justin's tweet about that quiz with serious answers. I thought McElroy fans would be good at detecting satire.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Deeters posted:

There were so many people responding to Justin's tweet about that quiz with serious answers. I thought McElroy fans would be good at detecting satire.

the new sincerity

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Bugsy posted:

I know the brothers recommended the Hey Riddle Riddle podcast, and seeing this animated bit with justin in it got me to listen to the first two episodes and its a decent listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00VY5vrUo4

Hey Riddle Riddle is cool. Sometimes the improv is too long and uh, bad but the riddies and puzzies are good and it has riddy kitty so B+.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's a real shame that Polygon is moving away from this video content, as Griffin worked hard on developing a video content plan before leaving Polygon. Turns out the only video content people want is the stuff involving the McElroys anyway.

(Actually I like a bunch of the Polygon content but that's just me).

(Also BDG is a treasure that Polygon is lucky to have)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It all went downhill after they stopped Awful Squad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Morpheus posted:

It's a real shame that Polygon is moving away from this video content, as Griffin worked hard on developing a video content plan before leaving Polygon. Turns out the only video content people want is the stuff involving the McElroys anyway.

it's not even that, video just isn't a good venue for anyone really. Facebook massively hosed people and tons of sites like Polygon 'pivoted to video' which meant...purging the writers who people liked and all using fraud numbers as their data to think 'oh poo poo people LOVE videos'. Video is, unsurprisingly, way more expensive and resource intensive to make your focus, though, so when the scam gets revealed they wind up with their writers gone, their fans upset, and massively in the hole, so woops time to purge the expensive video people now.

It's really a lovely situation all around and hard to blame anyone but the scumbags juicing their numbers to try to make ~pivot to video~ seem like a good plan for everyone.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Zero One posted:

It all went downhill after they stopped Awful Squad.

A casualty of Fortnight. loving SEO ruining good things.

God I miss SEO Play

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
let's be real

Fortnite didn't screw PUBG. PUBG screwed PUBG.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think it's really cool that Billy the goat man has transitioned from TAZ to Hollywood so quickly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVowQ4LgwLk

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
baa baa land

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Morpheus posted:

Plus rolling in around the same time that YouTube changed their monetization algorithms so that even if the fun Polygon videos were viewed as loss leaders they were suddenly making a lot less to the point of just plain unprofitable.

I do think, based on some of their comments in the later videos, Monster Factories output decline was due more to them starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for games with good character generation systems.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I can tell by the progress they'd make in the games that they'd be playing the games for like 5-6 hours at a time which then have to be edited down to 30-minute highlights. That's a lot of loving work just for laughs.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Which games did they make progress on that wasn't done by cheating? Except for Spore the first time, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Which games did they make progress on that wasn't done by cheating? Except for Spore the first time, I guess.

Souls games, sports games, any of the MMOs. Not that they actually accomplish much, but they ran through that first leg of Bloodborne a whole bunch of times.

Timestamp your favorite Monster Factory moments (15:10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aWH3-46slI&t=910s