Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh I have mutant hands in a bad way (symmetric brachydactyly) and I haven’t cared about phone dimensions that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

shaggar with the absolute deathblow bringing up that smug thumb motion commercial. the back button thing is a crime on the smax, i can reach it with one hand if i borderline fling the phone awkwardly toward my thumb (bad). poorly utilized screen real estate. phone looks and feels great. camera is good. unusable.

8/10, the verge

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Last Chance posted:

i remember when some dipshit came in here laughing about the apple watch's uselessness for people in wheelchairs thinking that because you're confined to a chair that you didn't have to exercise. that one riled me up

there's literally a wheelchair mode

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

if you can reach from the bottom right of the iphone xs to the top left w/ ur thumb u have mutant hands

no, im just 6’5”

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shaggar posted:

ios ui is garbage. why the hell do they cram the back button in the top left, semi-obscured by the curve of the scree, in the corner furthest away from all your fingers?

idk swipe from the left to go back? works for me. they do need to rethink the placement of that button though if the phones are going to continue being the size of dinner trays

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

I got my iphone tennis today seems p good so far

same, op

the new keyboard sounds are kinda weird though. they’re too ‘blorpy’ now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the 1pass integration w/ face unlock is fuckin sex holy moly

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

the 1pass integration w/ face unlock is fuckin sex holy moly

cool now cops can gain access to everything without a warrant

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

faceid really needs to implement a system where you can pull a grimace to immediately lock the phone and require the passcode

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

exploded mummy posted:

cool now cops can gain access to everything without a warrant

don’t look at your phone of a cops holding it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rex-Goliath posted:

don’t look at your phone of a cops holding it

"hey Siri, whose phone is this?"

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Postmaster GBS posted:

shaggar with the absolute deathblow bringing up that smug thumb motion commercial. the back button thing is a crime on the smax, i can reach it with one hand if i borderline fling the phone awkwardly toward my thumb (bad). poorly utilized screen real estate. phone looks and feels great. camera is good. unusable.

8/10, the verge

iphones with home buttons had the option to double touch it to lower the screen to make high up places more easily accessible. do the iphones with no home buttons have a similar feature?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

r u ready to WALK posted:

faceid really needs to implement a system where you can pull a grimace to immediately lock the phone and require the passcode

learn how to quickly force reboot your phone, it’s the best option at this point.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Scott Forstall posted:

learn how to quickly force reboot your phone, it’s the best option at this point.

or just don’t use Touch ID or Face ID?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Generic Monk posted:

idk swipe from the left to go back? works for me. they do need to rethink the placement of that button though if the phones are going to continue being the size of dinner trays

gesture based navigation has the discoverability of ms-dos with the fine motor skills of "operation" the board game

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

press and hold, but not too hard, otherwise that's a different action!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

swipe counterclockwise with four fingers during a full moon to auto fill your information into a web form, brilliant!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

swipe counterclockwise with four fingers during a full moon to auto fill your information into a web form, brilliant!

???

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

keyboard sounds

hosed up

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Good Sphere posted:

iphones with home buttons had the option to double touch it to lower the screen to make high up places more easily accessible. do the iphones with no home buttons have a similar feature?

yeh but you have to turn it on in the settings. reason being is that the gesture is to swipe down from the gesture bar at the bottom, and every single time i've given the phone to someone who doesn't know the swipe up to go home gesture they've invoked that instead

gesture based navigation has the discoverability of ms-dos with the fine motor skills of "operation" the board game

the discoverability is certainly an issue but it's not as if the gesture requires any more fine motor control than hitting the back button. like the trigger area is about 1/2cm x the entire height of the phone, i can't remember the last time i hosed that gesture up

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 18, 2018

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99m7lebirE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ebWLlzsdQ

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

the discoverability is certainly an issue but it's not as if the gesture requires any more fine motor control than hitting the back button. like the trigger area is about 1/2cm x the entire height of the phone, i can't remember the last time i hosed that gesture up

have you used "3D Touch" at any point ever?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

yes

several times by accident, like when i want to move an app around on my screen but press too hard on the screen

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Scott Forstall posted:

or just do the five-press 'panic'

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this video is the ultimate apple thing lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol look at that tiny phone for babies. i can't believe real non-disabled adults want that still lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

swipe from the left works but its not obvious at all cause its actually swipe from the left edge onto the screen and not swipe left anywhere on the screen.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

not talking about 3d touch i'm talking about the back gesture

Shaggar posted:

swipe from the left works but its not obvious at all cause its actually swipe from the left edge onto the screen and not swipe left anywhere on the screen.

yeah i mean this is an issue with all gesture based navigation; idk how you really solve it without having a patronising animation or tooltip. at least with the back gesture it's pretty easy to remember once you've used it a few times unlike 3d touch

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 18, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol i didn't remember they were wrong handed too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
3d force touch is the worst tho

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

not talking about 3d touch i'm talking about the back gesture

two sides of the same coin

Generic Monk posted:

yeah i mean this is an issue with all gesture based navigation; idk how you really solve it without having a patronising animation or tooltip. at least with the back gesture it's pretty easy to remember once you've used it a few times unlike 3d touch

you solve it by having one to three very common gestures (for example, pinch to zoom is great), not 50 slightly different ones involving every permutation of screen edges and number of fingers used

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

swiping left and right has become ingrained in the Modern App User's head, its not a difficult concept

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
3d force swipe down to check the time

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Last Chance posted:

swiping left and right has become ingrained in the Modern App User's head, its not a difficult concept

Modern App Users also quit all of their apps because they think it makes their phone run better, the Modern App User should not be the designer of your ui/ux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

press and hold, but not too hard, otherwise that's a different action!

look at all these correct posts

somehow every time i bring up how absolutely terrible gestures and 3d touch are as core UX interaction, people give me poo poo

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

infernal machines posted:

look at all these correct posts

somehow every time i bring up how absolutely terrible gestures and 3d touch are as core UX interaction, people give me poo poo

every interaction you have with the phone screen that isn't tapping on stuff is a gesture. that's like, the whole original selling point of the iphone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, and as a very basic interaction method it works, anything less intuitive than scrolling or pinch to zoom is bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

see if you can identify why this product failed

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

"blackberry" found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place