Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Imagine a $581 per month car payment.

You do know $523 is the average new car loan amount right? And pretty sure that includes a trade-in if one exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

In and of itself this isn't that bad of a thing. But we need more context in this case.

Buy a new car at the average transaction price of nearly $37,000 and get good promotional financing at 2%. Put 10k down and finance the remaining 27k for 4 years. That results in a $585/mo payment.

Of course you could also arrive at that payment by having poo poo credit and buying a new $37k car with zero down and a 7 year loan at 9%.

Monthly payment by itself doesn't tell you much. But in this case I bet we all know which scenario is more likely.

And whether a person is in the financial position to be buying a new car at all in the first place... different discussion entirely.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 17, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Haha, he owns a scooter. All the danger of a motorcycle, but none of the fun or cool factor.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Christ. You don't have to 'be a good chef' to cook basic meals for yourself and not spend a grand a month on McDonalds and Subway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don't live beyond my means, while having definitive proof that I lives beyond his means. Plus getting like $500/mo from dad. Dude is spending around $30/day eating out. He's not even cheap eating out. God I hate people who refuse to learn how to cook. It isn't that loving hard to make some basic poo poo for 4-5 dinners a week.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 17, 2018

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

FAUXTON posted:

A car worth $18,000-20,000 with a 3 year loan would be about that amount.

Edit: Or the more likely $35,000 car with a 6 year loan

Harry fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 17, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Buying your girlfriend's brother a new xbox seems like a legit expense tho

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

canyoneer posted:

Haha, he owns a scooter. All the danger of a motorcycle, but none of the fun or cool factor.

OP disagrees

quote:

I bought the scooter to have fun when I didn’t have a $1000/month rent payment.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

But the family is paying him back for it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah...imagine a $581 car payment. What a...bonehead.

<nervous chuckle>

Guest2553 posted:

He's getting paid back though.

It is odd to outsource your child's birthday gift to your daughter's stoned-as-gently caress boyfriend who is definitely selling smack out of his Uber as a side hustle.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9owfwn/usa_99k_debt_with_a_baby_on_the_way_need_guidance/

quote:

Hello PF, to get straight to the point, my spouse and I have expressed to each other that we need to take control of our finances before it gets any worse. We have a baby on the way and would like to ensure we can provide a better life for our child. It sucks that we are in this position, but at least we're on the same page about tackling our debts together.

Some background info:
We live in Southern California
Moved back to my parent's house
Spouse is currently getting her Master's (1 year left)
We both have full-time jobs
Cars are paid off
$99k in debt ($35k student loans, $13k personal loan, $50k CC debt)
$1k in savings
Credit scores are 650s and 700s (good standing with each line but high credit usage)

Selections from their budget and expenses:

quote:

Allowances
Spouse: $500 - Work lunch / Clothing / Going out without partner
Me: $350

Entertainment
Takeout / Restaurants: $300-$600 - I'm aware this is high. This has been one of the hardest habits to attempt to break
Alcohol: $0-$50
Events / etc: $100-$400 - I put down a range without giving it much thought. Could be something as simple as movie tickets to pot lucks to seasonal events

Personal Care: $200 - Haircut, nails, and/or massages I put aside each month. Some months we only spend $100. Some we spend $200 + what's left over
Gas: $550

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What's a reasonable gas budget? That feels...high.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Lowness 72 posted:

Southern California.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

I don't think there is any "reasonable" gas budget. It's too specific.

If you're a delivery driver it's certainly a lot higher than someone who works from home. If you drive a hybrid it's probably a lot less than if you're driving a sports car.

And yeah.....depends on where you live.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

I wonder how well his “medical marijuana” expense correlates with his cash only totally legit 1k/week side hustle.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dude would be the perfect candidate for a Blue Apron subscription. You can spend your stupid amount of money and learn to cook a decent meal. Then ween yourself off once you realize it’s not so hard. They make it so so easy. I get not being able to cook and I get being intimidated by it if you’ve never done it but come on.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Spokes posted:

Sells drugs, calling it

No way.

He spends $400-600 every month on weed. No dealer is spending money on weed, they just smoke their own supply.

He says he's buying 2oz of flower and a couple grams of oil each month, which is basically enough to spend every waking moment of his life getting as high as possible.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Assuming they both work minimum wage jobs, they should be pulling in ~$39k after taxes. Assuming we take the high end of all of that spending, they're spending $31,800. Something is fucky.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Guinness posted:

In and of itself this isn't that bad of a thing. But we need more context in this case.

Buy a new car at the average transaction price of nearly $37,000 and get good promotional financing at 2%. Put 10k down and finance the remaining 27k for 4 years. That results in a $585/mo payment.

Of course you could also arrive at that payment by having poo poo credit and buying a new $37k car with zero down and a 7 year loan at 9%.

Monthly payment by itself doesn't tell you much. But in this case I bet we all know which scenario is more likely.

And whether a person is in the financial position to be buying a new car at all in the first place... different discussion entirely.

2% is good promotional financing?

I got 0.9% and my FICO is maaaaaaaaaybe 750ish, but I wasn't imagining a $40k car with a 3-4 year term, more the $25k car with something like 5% :v:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nice 0-3.0% interest rates are generally limited to dealer financing, and less common as the price climbs above $40k

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
PNC is 3.59% right now and that is up significantly from 12 months ago. Autos are safer collateral then housing right now.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Interest rates are only measures of comparative risk over the same term, we should compare that rate to a 5-year amortization home loan or find a rate for a 30-year car loan.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

crazypeltast52 posted:

30-year car loan.

Where can I find this please??

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Roll your car loan into a HELOC bing bang bong

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Where can I find this please??

Google gives me this, but it isn’t really a 30 year car loan unfortunately(fortunately?).

2007.txt right here:
http://allfinancialmatters.com/2007/02/24/do-you-really-want-to-finance-your-car-for-30-years/

Get ready for fantastic savings with a Combo Loan from Countrywide.

Want to get cash and simplify your bills? Refinance with a Combo Loan from Countrywide. Consolidate your first mortgage, your second mortgage, your car loan and all your credit cards into one easy loan with one low monthly payment. Less than perfect credit okay.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

brugroffil posted:

Roll your car loan into a HELOC bing bang bong

gently caress yeah gimme wunner'em duramax trucks

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

canyoneer posted:

Scooters can be very GWM, as long as you live in an area you can use them year round.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Guinness posted:

The really sad thing is that with the average automobile transaction price moving up so much, it allows car companies that previously sold economical cars to ditch them in favor of higher margin SUVs and CUVs. Look at Ford, killing off almost all of their car lines (including the Fiesta and Focus); Look at FCA, getting rid of the (admittedly garbage) 200 and Dart while releasing several high-end Chargers and hybrid minivans.

There are fewer and fewer options for those that want a new car but something economical and sensible.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CornHolio posted:

The really sad thing is that with the average automobile transaction price moving up so much, it allows car companies that previously sold economical cars to ditch them in favor of higher margin SUVs and CUVs. Look at Ford, killing off almost all of their car lines (including the Fiesta and Focus); Look at FCA, getting rid of the (admittedly garbage) 200 and Dart while releasing several high-end Chargers and hybrid minivans.

There are fewer and fewer options for those that want a new car but something economical and sensible.

I wonder if Ford mostly ditching regular 4-door sedans is because the Japanese have that market on lock down. Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics are good, cheap, and reliable cars.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
That was the impression I was under. Also they are "keeping" the focus, but making it a hatchback. I'm sure it's actually just gonna be a small CUV but still.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's because no one wants sedans or small cars. If you want something diminutive and reasonable, you get a crossover.

Automakers want to sell itty-bitty cars even with their tiny margins because it keeps their CAFE numbers up. Ford had every intention on keeping it's Focus in America, but they just weren't selling. There aren't enough consumers who want little cars and those that do generally get a Honda or Toyota - but those companies are selling fewer cars too.

I love a lilliputian car. Everyone else likes a big car.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 18, 2018

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

My wife and I are student loan defaulters who said "ain't gonna ever pay!" and now living life on the run. AMA!

quote:

Wife owes $80,000+ and rapidly growing in private student loans. After years of struggling to make minimum monthly payments of $900+, we finally came to the decision to say "No way Sallie Mae, you are never going to get another cent!".

Since then she has been in default and we've been livin' on the run for the past year. The goal is to wait for the Statute of Limitations (SOL) to run out whereby Sallie Mae and its collection agencies can no longer collect. This is called a strategic default. Many people have successfully reached the SOL: the private lender can't do anything further to collect. Also, many people after being in default for a long time have been able to settle for their debt for a HUGE reduction. Also it makes adversarial proceedings much easier (this is where the debtor declares bankruptcy under undue hardship) because the debt grows so large it actually becomes impossible to pay off. Basically strategic defaults can give people much greater options than they ever had before. If worse comes to worse, she has family in a third would country where we'd both easily be able to live and work. There we're guaranteed to be 100% untouchable by the private loan sharks.

Edit 1: Her degree is in a STEM field. Unfortunately, she can't easily secure a job in the field without a masters degree. She failed the GRE several times and has been denied entry in multiple graduate programs. What do we ultimately want? We want a legitimate ability for student loan debtors, after trying their best to pay, have the ability to discharge their loans through bankruptcy. Currently the undue hardship standard is nearly impossible to meet. This is why lenders are willing to hand out $20,000 to people knowing full well there is little people can do to get out of it. Because of this, college and university become even more expensive because of the guaranteed gravy train. Thanks for the private messages asking for personal advice in similar situations, but I can't keep up, please post Qs here and also check out /r/studentloandefaulters

Edit 2: For people who messaged me asking what a strategic default is, I recommend you take a look at this, this and this. Always discuss your specific situation by speaking with an attorney and doing your homework before making a strategic default.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE AMA!! It was a lot of fun answering questions and talking with everyone. God bless!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

CornHolio posted:

You are confusing the chicken and the egg. Small sedans are going away and cars have gotten larger and more expensive because few people want to buy tiny low trim subcompact cars. Many of these cars really only exist/existed in the United States due to federal fleet fuel economy requirements and ubiquitous availability of fuel efficient turbocharged small four-cylinder engines and hybrid drivetrains has greatly reduced this pressure.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Known Lecher posted:

My wife and I are student loan defaulters who said "ain't gonna ever pay!" and now living life on the run. AMA!

hey, you know what? if it works for you, it works for you.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wilderthanmild posted:

That was the impression I was under. Also they are "keeping" the focus, but making it a hatchback. I'm sure it's actually just gonna be a small CUV but still.

No, they were going to bring the 'Focus Active' here but the Chinese tariffs killed that and they're not going to do that anymore.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I wonder if Ford mostly ditching regular 4-door sedans is because the Japanese have that market on lock down. Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics are good, cheap, and reliable cars.

The Focus and Cruze sell quite a bit and are competitive in their segments. They're getting dated against the newer offerings from the Japanese, but modern offerings would have pretty easily fixed that. The Accord is very good but the Corolla, Camry and Civic are all kind of okay and each have their drawbacks.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You are confusing the chicken and the egg. Small sedans are going away and cars have gotten larger and more expensive because few people want to buy tiny low trim subcompact cars. Many of these cars really only exist/existed in the United States due to federal fleet fuel economy requirements and ubiquitous availability of fuel efficient turbocharged small four-cylinder engines and hybrid drivetrains has greatly reduced this pressure.

But there are a significant amount of people that do want cheaper, lower trim levels and the options for them are becoming increasingly small. The lease on my wife's Focus is up and there's literally nothing in the segment she would consider replacing it with so we bought it off of the lease. I mean, we were going to do that anyway but the lack of options really sealed the deal.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 18, 2018

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

hey, you know what? if it works for you, it works for you.

This seems more like extremely gwm.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
C'mon man post the link!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Lowness 72 posted:

C'mon man post the link!

You mean me?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/5vvv48/my_wife_and_i_are_student_loan_defaulters_who/

I skimmed the comments but they weren't that interesting, a lot of handwaving from the OP when people call him out on :qq: "but if we were going to pay, the payments are $900 a month!!" :qq: as if that's some completely unattainable magical sum of money for two college-educated adults with (apparently) no kids or other major debts to come up with, to the point that living a cash-based lifestyle like an undocumented immigrant and moving frequently for years to come is a better option. (Several people also point out that moving frequently is fairly expensive in itself...)

EDIT: Also he never clarifies what kind of supposedly-useless-without-a-masters STEM degree his wife got.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 18, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My friend who bought a house with her boyfriend, broke up before they closed, decided to close anyway because it was in "an up and coming neighborhood," and then had to live with the ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend in the house they bought because neither of them could afford to move out or pay the mortgage alone has finally moved out.

Her name is still on the mortgage and she pays both rent and her half of the mortgage (her rent is a good deal, though. Her friend gave her a discount).

They lived together for 1 year and 3 months after they broke up.

They still have no potential buyers for the house and she has sunk a substantial amount of money into adding a fence and replacing the HVAC. Her ex is unemployed and his parents are covering his part of the mortgage, but they won't do it forever.

She really does not want to take a bath on this house, so both of them are considering just keeping it and paying the mortgage until the neighborhood "gets on the map." She thinks that "his parents won't really stop paying the mortgage" and that is why she is okay with keeping her name on there and waiting a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

But there are a significant amount of people that do want cheaper, lower trim levels and the options for them are becoming increasingly small. The lease on my wife's Focus is up and there's literally nothing in the segment she would consider replacing it with so we bought it off of the lease. I mean, we were going to do that anyway but the lack of options really sealed the deal.

Crossovers have gotten cheaper so cheaper people are buying crossovers.

There's still a market for small cars, it's just not enough to warrant a dozen different automakers all making their own subcompact. The irony is that Ford announced a huge company-wide shift to smaller vehicles back in 2005 or 2006 and that's one of the reasons they managed to avoid the same fate as GM and Chrysler (they also reorganized earlier and were better prepared debt-wise).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She really does not want to take a bath on this house, so both of them are considering just keeping it and paying the mortgage until the neighborhood "gets on the map." She thinks that "his parents won't really stop paying the mortgage" and that is why she is okay with keeping her name on there and waiting a few years.

White people thinking they're getting on the ground floor of gentrifying neighborhoods can be entertaining. My brother bought a very cute 80 year old house in a terrible part of town and keeps showing me Zillow listings of its ever-increasing value. You can't walk down the street at night without passing a half dozen shirtless guys just strolling down the middle of the road and there are no restaurants or anything of interest in walking distance. The only store in a 2 mile radius has bars over every opening.

"Hey, do you think I could rent this out on Air B&B to people for the Superbowl?"

Sure. Sounds like a fantastic plan. Also, he's a mortuary intern and his house is decorated as such. Can't wait to see where that one goes.