Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I for one enjoyed Hero of Time's Pro Shield Surfing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ocarina of Time is one of those games I boot up at least once a year and just power through until it's over. It's so ingrained in my memory. It's so hard for me to comprehend whenever people get stuck in it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
people who have problems with Ocarina of Time probably don't listen to Navi

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My favorite part of Mario Rabbids is Luigi, The Green Death.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SteamWorld Dig 2 is really good, but short. I kind of powered through it accidentally and beat the game in a couple days. There were so many more upgrades to get I assumed there was another chapter or at least a new game+

I've never played any of the other games in the series, any recommendations?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If we're still doing BOTW chat and the never ending argument over weapon breaking, I think they could have had a happy medium where things like sticks and bones break (and keep it so wooden weapons burn like they already do) but sturdier bladed weapons just become less effective and/or do less damage. Like fire blades could burn out, wands stop shooting out magic and only work as melee weapons, axes don't cut down trees after a while, stuff like that. (I guess even sturdier stuff could still break if you just beat it against rocks all the time, or try to fell trees with a sword or a staff.) And instead of making the Master Sword unusuable for 10 minutes, just make it less powerful, and maybe it just "recharges" on its own instead of you having to use it to its "breaking" point first.

Hopefully they'll consider that kind of thing for the next Zelda game, since they added so many little touches that are just intuitive "I can't believe that worked" stuff in BOTW.

RandomFerret posted:

SteamWorld Dig 2 is really good, but short. I kind of powered through it accidentally and beat the game in a couple days. There were so many more upgrades to get I assumed there was another chapter or at least a new game+

I've never played any of the other games in the series, any recommendations?

I liked the idea of Steamworld Heist, but the gameplay is kind of shallow and extremely samey and doesn't really change from the first level to the last, except with weapons that inflict more damage and enemies that have more HP. And whenever a Steam Powered Giraffe song came blaring out I just kind of wanted to die.

I guess it's worth a try to see if you like it though since you should be able to get it for pocket change at this point.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 18, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Is Valkyria Chronicles only digital or where there any plans for a physical release?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Breaking in and of itself isnt necessarily the problem, people dont really complain about running out of ammo all that much, its just how it was handled that turns people off. There are several options on how to encourage players to interface with the weapon breaking system without making weapons non-degrading.

Edit: Not that Id argue they particularly need to since the game sold insanely well and what detractors the game has do not make up a significant share

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My favorite part of Mario Rabbids is Luigi, The Green Death.

https://twitter.com/raditts/status/1052925041115942912

I started playing Mario Rabbids a couple days ago, after having it sit on my shelf since last Black Friday. I just finished the first world and it's pretty fun but also piss-easy, hopefully it gets a little more challenging soon.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

raditts posted:

https://twitter.com/raditts/status/1052925041115942912

I started playing Mario Rabbids a couple days ago, after having it sit on my shelf since last Black Friday. I just finished the first world and it's pretty fun but also piss-easy, hopefully it gets a little more challenging soon.

It does.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah difficulty ramps up. As someone else mentioned though the absolute highest difficulty post game stuff has 2 missions that are basically 20 turn long "do this or fail" puzzles so feel free to skip em if you hate em.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is Valkyria Chronicles only digital or where there any plans for a physical release?

It's digital only.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It does get harder, but only for as long as you haven't developed the perfect strategy, for which one typically exists for almost every fight in the game. Once you've figured it out, you probably have a 90% chance of victory at least, barring extraordinarily bad luck with the very simple RNG. (I haven't tried the ultimate difficulty missions though, so that might be different)

raditts posted:

I liked the idea of Steamworld Heist, but the gameplay is kind of shallow and extremely samey and doesn't really change from the first level to the last, except with weapons that inflict more damage and enemies that have more HP. And whenever a Steam Powered Giraffe song came blaring out I just kind of wanted to die.

I guess it's worth a try to see if you like it though since you should be able to get it for pocket change at this point.

I enjoyed Steamworld Heist and thought it was short enough that the sameyness didn't wear out. There's just enough variation between the three main areas to shake things up every so often (different kinds of enemies to deal with, mainly).

I only played it on the 3DS; is it worth getting on Switch so I can play the DLC, and can I start the game on the hardest difficulty? IIRC I had to unlock that difficulty on the 3DS.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rabbids is definitely a puzzle game built on the framework of an XCOM like engine, but I disagree that this is a bad thing.

The biggest problem with it is that you unlock all your characters' abilities right away, so the back half of the game gets kind of tedious as you face enemies with more varied and complex abilities while you stay the same, just your numbers go up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's digital only, I think there's some sort of offer if you own VC4 digital also? I can't see any mention of it now, but when the VC1 port was announced it seemed to be $5 (or 25%) off.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mori said he wouldn't do an Extend version of Central Fiction, and so far that's been true. Gonna be a little annoyed if this ends up being Central Fiction, the DLC, and ONE MORE CHARACTER LOL. Especially since the Switch controller is fine for Crosstag, but probably wouldn't cut it for a proper Blazblue game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

Mori said he wouldn't do an Extend version of Central Fiction, and so far that's been true. Gonna be a little annoyed if this ends up being Central Fiction, the DLC, and ONE MORE CHARACTER LOL. Especially since the Switch controller is fine for Crosstag, but probably wouldn't cut it for a proper Blazblue game

I felt like it was kind of a struggle to do fireball/dp motions on a joycon with BBTag. Are there recommended thumbstick extender/cap accessories that work well to alleviate that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Rabbids is definitely a puzzle game built on the framework of an XCOM like engine, but I disagree that this is a bad thing.

The biggest problem with it is that you unlock all your characters' abilities right away, so the back half of the game gets kind of tedious as you face enemies with more varied and complex abilities while you stay the same, just your numbers go up.

Similarly, many characters are locked via stort progression with some coming so late in the game you have little time to use them even if you would want to*.

*You wont because you start the game with the most broken character

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

put dedede in blazblue.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

I felt like it was kind of a struggle to do fireball/dp motions on a joycon with BBTag. Are there recommended thumbstick extender/cap accessories that work well to alleviate that?

tag doesn’t have any dp motions... I use the “d-pad,” though it takes some getting used to.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

b_d posted:

put dedede in blazblue.

Dedede doesn't deserve that kind of punishment.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

raditts posted:

If we're still doing BOTW chat and the never ending argument over weapon breaking, I think they could have had a happy medium where things like sticks and bones break (and keep it so wooden weapons burn like they already do) but sturdier bladed weapons just become less effective and/or do less damage. Like fire blades could burn out, wands stop shooting out magic and only work as melee weapons, axes don't cut down trees after a while, stuff like that. (I guess even sturdier stuff could still break if you just beat it against rocks all the time, or try to fell trees with a sword or a staff.) And instead of making the Master Sword unusuable for 10 minutes, just make it less powerful, and maybe it just "recharges" on its own instead of you having to use it to its "breaking" point first.

There are many solutions to fights. If you're frost blade breaks as you're fighting a fire lizzalfo, you can bust out your frost arrows. Or your bombs. Or literally any other weapon.

Also, those enchanted element weapons do have a recharge. They'll stop being elemental after a couple of swings, but will restore after a few seconds.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

I don't use the thumbstick, I use the directional buttons. I've got over 1,100 player match wins and now I've got a nice little callus built up that just slides over the d-buttons no problem lol

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Beastie posted:

There are many solutions to fights. If you're frost blade breaks as you're fighting a fire lizzalfo, you can bust out your frost arrows. Or your bombs. Or literally any other weapon.

Also, those enchanted element weapons do have a recharge. They'll stop being elemental after a couple of swings, but will restore after a few seconds.

I'm not sure what you think you're arguing against here.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

raditts posted:

I'm not sure what you think you're arguing against here.

quote:

Like fire blades could burn out, wands stop shooting out magic and only work as melee weapons

I guess I was trying to point out that this does happen. Maybe I misinterpreted their post? I haven't had coffee yet and am avoiding work.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If you dont like the XCOM secret RNGs or the ability to gently caress yourself into a corner in a campaign. Or the rich get richer character development.

BUT you like the gameplay style.

Rabbids is great.

Also lol at someone saying rabbids was more trial and error. Xcom built around quick saving and replaying missions if you get too hosed. Just lol.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

This is mostly true but I think it downplays the cooler parts of the skill tree. Some of the skill tree just makes numbers go up but some parts also affect abilities in ways that significantly change your strategy. For example, expanding the radius of Rabbid Mario's "draw enemies in" move isn't just making the "radius number" go up, it changes how you can position your guys and how you can approach a given map.

I guess if you unlock the skill tree in the optimal order maybe you run out of the cool abilitity-enhancing parts before the endgame and then the endgame is boring, but luckily I'm stupid and would often accidentally stumble upon some gamechanging skill on the tree even in the endgame!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

If you dont like the XCOM secret RNGs or the ability to gently caress yourself into a corner in a campaign. Or the rich get richer character development.

BUT you like the gameplay style.

Rabbids is great.

Also lol at someone saying rabbids was more trial and error. Xcom built around quick saving and replaying missions if you get too hosed. Just lol.

XCOM works fine when played ironman style though. It's just difficult.

Not that I agree with rabbids being trial and error either.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Butterfly Valley posted:

One ever so slight irritation with BotW is that on my current playthrough even being careful not to gate myself out of them, I've managed to miss photographing a mighty lynel crusher. I know I can pay the guy for the photos but I was making a specific effort to do it all myself. I'd travelled to Faron early to get the red spear and crusher lynels there, then continued with the game, covering the east of the map, while periodically travelling back to Faron to see if the lynels had upgraded yet. When I got to Akkala and found blue lynels near the tech lab I travelled back to Faron and now all the lynels are fuckin white. I guess the threshold between blue and white lynels is much narrower than I thought.

There's a solitary red crusher that never changes in the South region behind the plateau.

Barudak posted:

There are several options on how to encourage players to interface with the weapon breaking system without making weapons non-degrading.

You keep saying this, but you do know the final hit with a weapon breaking is a crit, right? It's one of the tooltips.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

You keep saying this, but you do know the final hit with a weapon breaking is a crit, right? It's one of the tooltips.

I am extremely aware and that incentive has all the significance of "the last bullet in a clip deals double damage" does on gun usage behavoir in a shooter.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

I am extremely aware and that incentive has all the significance of "the last bullet in a clip deals double damage" does on gun usage behavoir in a shooter.

Throwing your almost broken weapon at the enemy is very cool

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Andrast posted:

Throwing your almost broken weapon at the enemy is very cool

It's a lot more useful than I gave it credit for. Wish I had bothered when I was actually playing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've never played XCOM and I don't particuilarly like tactics games in general, but Mario x Rabbids just did something right that totally clicked for me. Plus unlike XCOM it's a very pretty game :colbert:

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXP-ymiRPKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZYGX5KpRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-cpqE-efw

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Barudak posted:

I have to wonder why some shooters have this mechanic because there's never really a situation where I'm like "hmm I could reload after killing this bad guy so I've got a full clip ready for the next encounter/these guys I haven't killed yet buuuuut"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Beastie posted:

I guess I was trying to point out that this does happen. Maybe I misinterpreted their post? I haven't had coffee yet and am avoiding work.

i think they mean burning out and not recharging at all, as opposed to breaking

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

i think this would be true if you couldn't reload your gun, and so it feels different and actually useful in botw

idk weapon durability never bothered me but I've also been playing fire emblem forever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

i think this would be true if you couldn't reload your gun, and so it feels different and actually useful in botw

idk weapon durability never bothered me but I've also been playing fire emblem forever

You can reload your weapons, thats what a new copy of a weapon in BotW is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just wish Link could punch and do karate. Not even joking. Just always have 'unarmed' as an available weapon. You can even make it takes against robots if you want. But see some bokoblins and don't want to waste sword durability? Ok well that's what infinite bombs are for but I'd rather punch them.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Barudak posted:

It disarms weapon holders if thrown...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I just wish Link could punch and do karate. Not even joking. Just always have 'unarmed' as an available weapon. You can even make it takes against robots if you want. But see some bokoblins and don't want to waste sword durability? Ok well that's what infinite bombs are for but I'd rather punch them.

heck yea

I wonder if a lot of the weapon complaints would be soothed if you could just punch a moblin. Even though I think the BotW weapon system is fine I still found it weird that you can't punch, and I kinda expected a Dark Souls style "you can do it but it'll suck" to stop people from just ignoring weapons (not that it would stop people, instead it would lead to hilarious unarmed runs)