Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
ok finally caught up with JoJolion

what the gently caress was Poor Tom

I'm glad he's dead tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RubberLuffy posted:

ok finally caught up with JoJolion

what the gently caress was Poor Tom

I'm glad he's dead tho

I'll always respect Poor Tom. He just used his stand collectively and intelligently, no real pettiness beyond "hey, you ruined our business so i'll take all of you down" and he is down to eat a lady out while technically fighting Eight stand users. It's important to give oral too.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Ozone Baby was definitely one of the more OP Stands.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Ozone Baby was definitely one of the more OP Stands.

When you know exactly where your enemies are and are able to set it up, sure.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
ozone baby felt like a part 6 stand

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it involves burying a lego replica of the white house somewhere so to an extent it's not the simplest thing to unleash, all told

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The thing I'm most looking forward to in the SBR anime is

winter

catfish

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Speaking of the anime, was it ever said why they stopped doing post-episode previews? DIU had them the day before new episodes, but they don't seem to be doing them at all for VA.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of the anime, was it ever said why they stopped doing post-episode previews? DIU had them the day before new episodes, but they don't seem to be doing them at all for VA.

Is it a time thing? Like, instead of giving time they're allotted for the episode over to a preview, it's more show they can include?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Onmi posted:

Also, having finished my Re-read of Steel Ball Run, I've identified my favorite Arakism is when he has a character basically say the same thing 3 times in a row. I can't help but imagine him writing the line three times, trying to determine which one is best before going "gently caress it, all of them!"

This made me curious so I checked the Japanese version and it's basically the same going on in the original (and not some quirk of the translation). I see it as the dialogue version of the really effective tension-building visual technique Araki likes to do where he draws the same subject across multiple panels but each time we're just a little bit closer. (I'm going through DIU right now so I'm thinking of the blood trail leading to the Nijimura's front door or Koichi seeing the bow and arrow on the wall or Tomoko drinking the cup of coffee with Aqua Necklace in it) (or the one from SC that Araki mentions in the how-to book with Avdol finding Holly on the floor of the kitchen).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I really like these SBR covers

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Stone Ocean ED should be Rusty Cage

I always gotta vote for God's Gonna Cut You Down

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Wekapipo got a raw deal

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I actually have a buddy who is not really that fond of Steel Ball Run outside of the final stretch (in his own words "it took a sharp upturn in quality after Gyro died, ironically even though he was the best character in the whole thing")

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Except after Gyro dies, there's like 3 chapters left of D4C and then it devolves into base fanservice and is easily the worst part of SBR on a real level.

Not that I don't love Diego's World too but fanservice is all that really is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Those last few chapters of D4C are excellent though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The problem with SBR is that the body horror gets really repetitive. Remember that part where they were helplessly lying around while parts of their body were deforming/transforming/being horribly mutilated?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 18, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Heavy Weather was in Stone Ocean.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Chariot Requiem was in Vento Aureo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Even Diegos World owns.

Like remember when Diego's version of the knives is sending lit matches through the stopped time and then Tusk Chumimin~s it's way through stopped time?

Owns

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also it was cool to see Johnny, who didn't have Time Stop powers of his own, or the ability to move through frozen time, fighting against Dio who DID, and the various ways they had to fight each other. I was kinda sad Johnny didn't win, but it's the journey, not the finish line.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The problem with SBR is that the body horror gets really repetitive. Remember that part where they were helplessly lying around while parts of their body were deforming/transforming/being horribly mutilated?

That's definitely a form of horror that Araki tends to fall back on, but I think SBR is one part where it's actually warranted. The lead character is a paraplegic in a long distance race, and Jesus cameos as a series of immobile body parts being carried about higgledy piggledy by the greedy and righteous alike.

I won't argue that it isn't overwrought at times, but at the same time, being helpless and at the mercy is much more of a thing in SBR than it is in other parts.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Johnny blasting himself with the spin and turning into a noodle and Diego getting deep cuts in his face from his dinosaur teeth busting his jaw open feels different than like, the guards skull busting open with snails or Jolyne ripping off Westwoods toenail I'm not sure why

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if Araki was never satisfied with any of Jonathan and Dio's fights and that's why Diego's World happens. One last ride for the OGs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I read SBR pretty recently but honestly most of that poo poo doesn't really rank compared to Westwood's toenail, which is one of the only moments of gore in this series that I still remember and shudder thinking about.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They really needed more people struggling to hold coffee cups and eating rocks, imo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Meme Emulator posted:

They really needed more people struggling to hold coffee cups and eating rocks, imo

I think the best part about Diego and Johnny's relationship in SBR is, unlike in PB, we don't actually see any of Diego's truly heinous or dickish actions Johnny is just completely sure he's an rear end in a top hat and refuses to get along with him. Combined with Diego trying to hide turning into a Dinosaur it's all this great sense of comedy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

High Voltage is about giving closure to the end of Johnny’s journey by having him take up Gyro’s mantle as the hero of the story and fighting Gyro’s rival

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Did Diego ever do anything to Johnny outside of the race?

Also, it's been a while since I've read VA. How did Mista survive being shot in the head on the train? I remember that he did, I just don't remember how.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, it's been a while since I've read VA. How did Mista survive being shot in the head on the train? I remember that he did, I just don't remember how.

He beat him when he was younger.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

He probably shot a bullet with another bullet or something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Number 5 stopped the bullet inside his head.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when in doubt just assume there's a bullet gremlin doing something helpful

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like that it's Number 5, too. That it's the cowardly one who ultimately saves Mista's life is pretty neat.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah Johnny blasting himself with the spin and turning into a noodle and Diego getting deep cuts in his face from his dinosaur teeth busting his jaw open feels different than like, the guards skull busting open with snails or Jolyne ripping off Westwoods toenail I'm not sure why
This posts reads super sarcastically but I did mean it

Now I'm thinking it's something to do with the thematic element of a lot of Part 7s horror being inflicted on the characters by themselves (Johnny shoots off his fingernails, he shoots himself, he watches his arm fall out as gets the Corpse Arm, Gyro gets his replaced by the Corpse Eye, Hot Pants shoots her flesh out of Cream Starter).

Theres a throughline of sacrifice being made by harming yourself to achieve your goal vs harming other, or in Valentine's case, seeking to experience no harm ever again.

I'd love do a Part 7 group reread in this thread sometime

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/kewl0210/status/1052937503358021639?s=21

Go figure that the first time I did even a little typesetting for jojolion, it's for a creepy chapter :(

Oh while I'm talking about this I'll mention that I scanned the Rohan Gucci chapter in color for HWMN so I think that will see the light of day sometime relatively soon

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 18, 2018

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Part 7 is so loving powerful it beats Chimera Ants as my favorite individual section of a longer running manga. Like, CA arc is my favorite shounen arc of all time but SBR is my favorite manga arc of all time period and it helps JoJo as a whole beat Hunter x Hunter as a whole.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

https://twitter.com/kewl0210/status/1052937503358021639?s=21

Go figure that the first time I did even a little typesetting for jojolion, it's for a creepy chapter :(

Oh while I'm talking about this I'll mention that I scanned the Rohan Gucci chapter in color for HWMN so I think that will see the light of day sometime relatively soon

fuuuuuuck

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"uu tomoki never fails!!!", i continue to insist as i slowly crumble and break into asbestos

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Arist posted:

I like that it's Number 5, too. That it's the cowardly one who ultimately saves Mista's life is pretty neat.

5 is also the "lucky number" in several Asian cultures, like how it's 7 in most western cultures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I also forgot that 5 is the one who helps Giorno fight Cioccolata after the other Pistols get incapacitated.