Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

shirts and skins posted:

Here's a deeper dive on Seattle's offensive line improvement.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/10/17/seahawks-offensive-line-turnaround-proves-the-value-of-actual-coaching/

I'm still not sure how much of it has to do with coaching and how much has to do with improved line/RB health and a full year of Duane Brown, but the level of improvement in Germain Ifedi and JR Sweezy has been undeniable. DJ Fluker has been a fantastic pickup so far too, which...who saw that coming? Very happy the team isn't running out Luke Joeckel and Rees Odihambo anymore. But I have a hard time seeing any of that gelling without Solari's coaching.

Anyway, have fun with Tom Cable, Raiders fans!

As long as you just commit to running the ball and asking him to beat the dude in front of him, Fluker is fine at guard. it's when you gotta drop back to pass like 35+ times a game and defenses start stunting that his lack of athleticism becomes a problem.

I did like him a lot though. He wasn't well coached in San Diego and he seems like a good dude, so I hope he finds success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25008111/nfl-owners-discuss-viability-chargers-los-angeles-according-sources

Durrrrrr

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Move them to Vegas, disband the Raiders, give Canada a professional team.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This move still boggles my mind.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

quote:

"Each decision throughout this process has been made with the fan in mind, and we think the pricing announced today reflects this fact," A.G. Spanos, the team's president of business operations, said in the news release.

:chanpop:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Is there a good Spanos

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Is there a good Spanos

A dead Spanos :eng101:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Chris James 2 posted:

Is there a good Spanos

Alex got a lot better last week

Edit: DAMNIT

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CyberPingu posted:

Move them to Vegas, disband the Raiders, give Canada a professional team.

The Regina Super Chargers!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Any Canadian team should have to be called the Rough-Riders.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Finger Prince posted:

Any Canadian team should have to be called the Rough-Riders.

Blazers :colbert:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This move still boggles my mind.

The long and short of it is that Dean Spanos is an imbecile. The basics of it are that he tried grifting the city of San Diego into paying for a new stadium downtown, near where the Padres play or thereabouts. The city said no because they don't have a ton of money and Dean's too much of a poor cheapshit to build a stadium for himself, even though Mission Valley is Right There and they easily could've built the new stadium around where Qualcomm is today. He then took the Chargers up to LA and basically alienated the majority of what fanbase they had, which is why almost all of their home games are like 2/3rds the opposing team.

Basically Dean Spanos is a petulant little shithead of a person and the move is now blowing up in the team's face, even though they've actually been pretty competitive the last couple of years.

I wouldn't doubt it if some billionaire bought the team out from the Spanos family, and moved them back to San Diego, with the mandate of building a new stadium in Mission Valley, by the end of next decade. San Diego would take the Chargers back under new ownership, but there's no way in hell they'd ever do it as long as the Spanoses own the team.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Move the Chargers to Chengdu.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What is Mission Valley and why would it have been easy to build a stadium there?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Chargers to Dubai. The NFL will love the labor laws

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What is Mission Valley and why would it have been easy to build a stadium there?

I'd imagine this is the location San Diego offered to sell to Spanos if he built a stadium on it for $1, which Spanos called something like a slap in the face.

At least I know that's a thing they offered him and he refused in typical Spanos fashion.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine this is the location San Diego offered to sell to Spanos if he built a stadium on it for $1.

At least I know that's a thing they offered him and he refused.

Isn't it right by Qualcomm, too? Open, properly zoned land, lots of highways, reasonably close to downtown.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Mission Valley is the area in San Diego where Qualcomm stadium is located. The land that the stadium and lot that it was built on is already available and ready to be reused. The city itself preferred the Chargers to build a new stadium there instead of downtown SD, because building a new stadium there would've costed the city a ton of additional money, on top of completely wrecking traffic in that area. It would've been a lot simpler and probably better for everybody involved to just build a new stadium on the same lot Qualcomm is on, then demolish that stadium once the new one was done. Dean rejected it because he's a worthless imbecile who was operating entirely in bad faith by that point.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 18, 2018

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

These fans are the all the never Trump republicans who watch the entirety of every autoplay video on facebook.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CyberPingu posted:

A dead Spanos :eng101:

Let me tell you something, I’m from San Diego and I say kill em all!

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Spanos family are such dumb motherfuckers that they believe Stockton is a better city to live in than SD proper, so it's not exactly like they're top business people either.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1052910131317489665?s=19

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
PRINT THE PRESCRIPTIONS!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Yeah give him whatever Aaron Rodgers had

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Why has Buffalo not signed another quarterback?

Keep Peterman around as an emergency guy for a week or two while the new guy learns the offense a little, I'm fine with that. But outside of actual emergencies there is absolutely no way this man should ever see the field again.

e: I mean, I'd rather play Ryan Lindley and it isn't particularly close. Which is an amazing thing to say.

lindley is probably worse than peterman in that instead of throwing the ball into the dirt he throws them high and those are interceptable.

john skelton however, has a 8-9 career record

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

lindley is probably worse than peterman in that instead of throwing the ball into the dirt he throws them high and those are interceptable.

Check out the stats man, I was stunned. Peterman makes Lindley looks like Alex Smith as far as taking care of the ball is concerned.

He did not advance the ball well, but he didn't just throw picks constantly either which seems like a net gain.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

peterman is in no way a nfl caliber qb or backup qb but he had a ton of forced errors and bullshit where the ball bounced off the hands of the receiver and 5 yards into the air, and maybe didn't know the plays where he'd throw the ball expecting the receiver to keep running, but lindley would do that on his own. sort of like those carson palmer headscratchers except it'd be every series

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

Its Rinaldo posted:

Let me tell you something, I’m from San Diego and I say kill em all!

Lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If I was rich, Id buy the Chargers, move em back to SD, then build the Spanish Mission Football Stadium like in the concept art floating around

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DariusLikewise posted:

RPOs are way down this year, everyone is doing spread concepts with mesh routing or whatever it’s called

Are there any good breakdowns of how these route concepts work? I'd be interested to know how they differ from past offenses like WCO

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Are there any good breakdowns of how these route concepts work? I'd be interested to know how they differ from past offenses like WCO

http://breakdownsports.blogspot.com/2015/08/football-fundamentals-mesh-concept-playbook-air-raid-mike-leach.html

https://ronmckiefootball.com/air-raid-mesh-concept/

These were the 2 websites I looked at. Mesh isn't really new, Mike Martz was using it back in 2000 and I think it's been in college football since the nineties, but it's definitely been refined.

This blog does good stuff on actual NFL teams

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6295/how-the-philadelphia-eagles-have-utilized-the-mesh-concept

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6264/how-los-angeles-rams-coach-sean-mcvay-uses-the-trips-2-man-stack-formation

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jet Sweeps and motion are huge right now too. Everything is designed to make linebackers and corners look sideline to sideline horizontally then just have a receiver get a free release deep pretty much.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
mesh route concepts was something Mike Shanahan was extremely fond of when he coached in Denver, usually in bunched up formations. It's been around for a long time, yeah.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
In a shocking turn of events, PFF rankings are dumb and arbitrary:

https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/1052638809266016256?s=19

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Yeah but on the other hand

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1052918982519521280?s=19

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What happened to Tate? He seemed to do really well in camp and preseason.

https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH/status/1053006218149675008

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

smartfootball has some good stuff too. RPOs are called packaged plays on the first link.

http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/smart-football-glossary
http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-air-raid-offense-history-evolution-weirdness-from-mumme-to-leach-to-franklin-to-holgorsen-and-beyond

edit: i'm not sure i'd say there's a axis where RPOs and mesh concepts lie on, mesh is just another extension of the "man breaking" routes where it's easier to jump a route from zone than sticking a corner on a guy and having him trail the route, whereas RPOs try and isolate usually a linebacker or a box safety and make him decide between covering the gap in front of him and the hole in coverage behind him. currently you don't see so many RPOs because not a lot of QBs have experience running option plays. It's easier just to run a play where the receivers end up on either side of a coverage zone and the QB can pick the open one. The smartfootball guy loves those and goes into detail on them under "triangle plays" or something like that.

hifi fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 18, 2018

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In a shocking turn of events, PFF rankings are dumb and arbitrary:

https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/1052638809266016256?s=19

Did the dude running the PFF twitter account finally get less salty? He used to respond to everyone who dared question their dumb bullshit.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The current rumor is that the Chargers most likely landing spot is St Louis, because of the ongoing lawsuit between STL City and the NFL over the Rams move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpy Longcockings
Oct 6, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress I'd be so disappointed as a player to have to move out to St Louis. What a depressing city.

• Locked thread