Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Flaming Bishop is super good, but in my experience it tends to make people sleepy. I might make a variant of Lost Souls Punch, subbing in allspice liqueur for the absinthe, and maybe using an orange-y cider or Witbeer or something in place of the quad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Soporific effects aside, Flaming Bishop sounds like something to do when I'm more in charge of the surroundings. For this occasion, probably better to go with something I don't have to fuss with much.

The Maestro posted:

My first thoughts for a fruity Fall mule type that doesn’t step on the other punch’s toes would be a cranberry-orange zest with rosemary flavor profile or a pomegranate (grenadine) with orange zest/cinnamon. Mint would be great but it’s not as autumnal. Throw in some blackberry or fig or grape. Blood orange wheels are beautiful too.

Those do sound interesting. How would you incorporate the rosemary? I have to admit I'm having a hard time imagining the flavor combination, and I want to at least try it.

Kenning posted:

Flaming Bishop is super good, but in my experience it tends to make people sleepy. I might make a variant of Lost Souls Punch, subbing in allspice liqueur for the absinthe, and maybe using an orange-y cider or Witbeer or something in place of the quad.

How many does that recipe serve?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
With the rosemary, I’d either infuse your spirit with the leaves or just use the whole twigs as a garnish depending how strong you want the flavor to come through. The aroma is probably the most enticing part so I bet it’d be fine to throw some bunches into the punch bowl and reserve some on the side to stick into each person’s cup as you serve.

You could also infuse your diluting/syrup water with the leaves. I like it as more of an accent and it’s easier to control the flavor if you just use it as a garnish.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Toast Museum posted:

A friend is getting married soon, and I offered to make punch or batched cocktails for the reception. I asked them to give me some flavor notes as a starting point.

Him: orange, cinnamon, clove, apple
Her: fruity, vodka, ginger beer

So I'm thinking maybe two different drinks.

For him, I'm leaning towards a Fall punch. Fall Monty went over great last Thanksgiving but I'm open to other suggestions.

For her, vodka and ginger beer strongly suggests a Moscow Mule variant to me. My first thought is some kind of Moscow Mule/Cosmo mashup, but I'm not opposed to getting more complicated with it.

Any ideas?
It's very simple, but at the wedding I just attended they served a Moscow Mule with strawberry simple as the bride's cocktail and it was a massive hit. The groom had an Old-Fashioned riff for his.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Guys seriously if you follow the classic recipe of "One of Sour, Two of Sweet, Three of Strong, Four of Weak" You're probably only gonna need 1-2 tweaks to get to a bang up punch that everyone loves and you can say you invented it

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

Guys seriously if you follow the classic recipe of "One of Sour, Two of Sweet, Three of Strong, Four of Weak" You're probably only gonna need 1-2 tweaks to get to a bang up punch that everyone loves and you can say you invented it

What's your go-to for that recipe?

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Fart Car '97 posted:

what qualifies as "weak" in this sort of thing? I haven't played around much with creating my own recipes from this sort of template.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Toast Museum posted:

How many does that recipe serve?

The recipe as written yields something like 32-35 standard drinks, depending what brands you use of everything. For a general weekend party I budget 3 drinks per person. For a wedding reception I might budget as many as 6, depending on how seriously drinking is part of the social group in question, how long the reception is likely to last, and how much food will be available.

Fart Car '97 posted:

First off all, if you tell people this secret no one will find my punches impressive anymore. Secondly, I prefer Wondrich's ratio of 1 of sour, 1 of sweet, 3 of strong and 4 of weak. And if you're adding beer/wine, add that at 1.5.

vlad3217 posted:

what qualifies as "weak" in this sort of thing? I haven't played around much with creating my own recipes from this sort of template.

Classically the "weak" is water. It can also be tea, fruit juice, or soda. If you use tea (especially a strong black tea) you might want to up the sugar a bit to compensate for the astringent quality. If you use a fruit juice, reduce the sugar to compensate for the inherent sweetness.

Fart Car is right though. Whenever I'm figuring out a punch, I start with that ratio, using lemons as my sour, Demerara sugar as my sweet, and either cognac, dark rum, gin, or Irish/Scotch whiskey. I usually modify by adding a few ounces of a liqueur or some sort, adding a unique wine or beer or cider, or loving with my Weak. Pretty simple, and very productive. There's an art to making it thematic though.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
After a little experimentation, I landed on this recipe for the bride's punch:

32 oz unsweetened 100% cranberry juice
64 oz orange juice
48 oz rich simple syrup
24 oz akvavit (I went with Aalborg Taffel)
120 oz vodka (cheapest S-name with a glass bottle was Svedka)
192 oz ginger beer (tested with Gosling's, will try to find Bundaberg or Cock 'n Bull for the full batch as they're the bride's favorites)

If I have time to skin that many oranges, the simple syrup will be orange oleo-saccharum instead. I think it'll help the fruit flavors stand up to the ginger and caraway.

For the groom I'm doing Katie Stipe's Fall Monty at 5x the quantities in the link, since that comes out to one, three, and five full bottles of applejack, amontillado, and cider, respectively.

Between the two, these should yield about 160 5oz servings. That's only about two drinks per person, but there's gonna be other alcohol available, so I think it'll be okay. Punch for this many people has not been cheap.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I have been tasked with making non-frozen strawberry daiquiri punch tomorrow. I am thinking of these proportions.

2 parts strawberry juice strained (Tossing strawberries in blender and then straining)
1 part fresh lime juice
3 parts white rum
1 part simple syrup.

Is it going to be too sweet then? I can easily take out the simple syrup.

I might just test the strawberry juice/lime juice with the fiance before to figure out the right ratio.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I have been tasked with making non-frozen strawberry daiquiri punch tomorrow. I am thinking of these proportions.

2 parts strawberry juice strained (Tossing strawberries in blender and then straining)
1 part fresh lime juice
3 parts white rum
1 part simple syrup.

Is it going to be too sweet then? I can easily take out the simple syrup.

I might just test the strawberry juice/lime juice with the fiance before to figure out the right ratio.

We can’t give you an answer as your using a fresh product, you could have the sweetest Berry’s on the planet or just tart little devil fruits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ColHannibal posted:

We can’t give you an answer as your using a fresh product, you could have the sweetest Berry’s on the planet or just tart little devil fruits.

Very fair point. I'll just taste test tonight then. FWIW I am using frozen strawberries after they thaw

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Combine strawberries in sugar and let them sit for a few days and eventually you'll have a very clean, distinctly strawberry syrup.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just picked up some Creme de Cassis on a whim and can incredibly strongly recommend Jeffrey Morganthaler's Bourbon Renewal . I upped the ratio in favor of the cassis between simple syrup and cassis and this is probably going to be my drink of the fall

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Try it as a substitute for some of the vermouth in a Manhattan, too.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I bought cassis for Kir/Royales but I think I'll be trying something new.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been using cassis as a sub for simple in whiskey sours for some time now. I don't think I ever thought to give it a name, unless it was one of those things I do on the fly at a party and call it something like Ding Dong Thatcher's Still loving Dead.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does anyone have experience with citrus substitutes like the blend of acids in White Lyan's "fake lime juice"? How closely do blends like this approximate citrus?

Context: I'm thinking about making bottled cocktails as gifts. I want to make something with a long shelf life, even if it winds up literally being kept on the shelf.

Citrus juice is a non-starter, but is oleo-saccharum reasonably long-lived once added to spirits? Seems like it should be, since citrus peel infusions are fine indefinitely.

How about other sources of acidity like shrub or verjus?

Is there a minimum proof I should try to stay above for food-safety reasons?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's dope. I've done it a bunch. You can acidificy all kinds of stuff, too, you don't have to just use water. We're using that format with carrot juice on our menu now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have a good apple cider sangria for thanksgiving? I could've sworn I had one bookmarked from this thread.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

has anyone got any easy cocktail recommendations for someone with next to no cocktail experience? I'm tired of beer / cider / rum. I'm a sucker for anything blended with ice, and fruity stuff is great. best nights I have are the ones where I go out, let the bartender know the types I like, and I get to drink delicious cocktails that go down so smoothly.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Qubee posted:

has anyone got any easy cocktail recommendations for someone with next to no cocktail experience? I'm tired of beer / cider / rum. I'm a sucker for anything blended with ice, and fruity stuff is great. best nights I have are the ones where I go out, let the bartender know the types I like, and I get to drink delicious cocktails that go down so smoothly.

If you're not looking exclusively for frozen drinks, sours are a whole family of easy-drinking cocktails that are dead simple to make. They basically consist of a spirit, citrus juice, and a sweetener. Pick a spirit and a citrus, and there's probably a named cocktail following this pattern, e.g. the Gimlet, Daiquiri, Sidecar, Margarita, etc. Mostly because his YouTube videos got me interested in cocktails in the first place, I usually start with Chris McMillian's ratio of 1.5 oz of spirit, 1 oz of simple syrup*, 0.75 oz of fresh citrus juice, and adjust from there. Combine the ingredients, shake** with ice, and strain into a glass. I prefer to finely strain the citrus juice before adding to keep pulp out, but it's not strictly necessary.

A lot of cocktails in this family (e.g. the whiskey sour, Pisco sour, and amaretto sour) call for raw egg white. Don't be put off! the health risk is minimal, it imparts no flavor, and it provides a really nice silky texture. If you're vegan or otherwise can't bring yourself to include egg white, there are alternatives like aquafaba that produce a similar effect. If you're including egg white, first shake the ingredients without ice ("dry shake"), then again with ice.

*solution of equal parts sugar and water

**There's a barware post on the first page, if you're not sure what you might need.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I got into mixing via sours too. A liquor, lemon or lime, a sweetener, done. It's the easiest formula to experiment with.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Was talking to a coworker today, and he mentioned he's a rum guy, which reminded me about Smith and Cross and how it is awesome and now I'm going to go get a bottle again.

What was the cocktail bandied about here roughly a year or two ago? Was it something lime and housemade grenadine? I'm going to go back and look, but thought one of you might recall faster than I search.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

slut chan posted:

Was talking to a coworker today, and he mentioned he's a rum guy, which reminded me about Smith and Cross and how it is awesome and now I'm going to go get a bottle again.

What was the cocktail bandied about here roughly a year or two ago? Was it something lime and housemade grenadine? I'm going to go back and look, but thought one of you might recall faster than I search.

Clover Club? Jack Rose?

E: RE: Smith and Cross: Despite having gone down the rabbit hole years ago, to the point where I now teach classes about rum at Columbia Room, I re-tasted smith and cross the other day and it is a seriously good rum.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

If you're not looking exclusively for frozen drinks, sours are a whole family of easy-drinking cocktails that are dead simple to make. They basically consist of a spirit, citrus juice, and a sweetener. Pick a spirit and a citrus, and there's probably a named cocktail following this pattern, e.g. the Gimlet, Daiquiri, Sidecar, Margarita, etc. Mostly because his YouTube videos got me interested in cocktails in the first place, I usually start with Chris McMillian's ratio of 1.5 oz of spirit, 1 oz of simple syrup*, 0.75 oz of fresh citrus juice, and adjust from there. Combine the ingredients, shake** with ice, and strain into a glass. I prefer to finely strain the citrus juice before adding to keep pulp out, but it's not strictly necessary.

A lot of cocktails in this family (e.g. the whiskey sour, Pisco sour, and amaretto sour) call for raw egg white. Don't be put off! the health risk is minimal, it imparts no flavor, and it provides a really nice silky texture. If you're vegan or otherwise can't bring yourself to include egg white, there are alternatives like aquafaba that produce a similar effect. If you're including egg white, first shake the ingredients without ice ("dry shake"), then again with ice.

*solution of equal parts sugar and water

**There's a barware post on the first page, if you're not sure what you might need.

Those specs are bananas. I like a touch of sweet but only .75 lemon to 1 syrup? Woof. That’s diabetes in a cup.

My go-to ratio is .75 syrup (1-1 cold process w/ white table sugar) 1 citrus 2 spirit and adjust from there.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Those specs are bananas. I like a touch of sweet but only .75 lemon to 1 syrup? Woof. That’s diabetes in a cup.

My go-to ratio is .75 syrup (1-1 cold process w/ white table sugar) 1 citrus 2 spirit and adjust from there.

I don't think the extra quarter ounce is gonna kill anyone, but it's only a starting point in any case. For a lot of drinks the ratio I land on is pretty similar to yours, though I usually do .5 oz of 2:1 syrup rather than .75 oz of 1:1, mostly because it keeps longer.

From what I've read, a quick blast in the microwave won't give you invert syrup, so I do that rather than mess with cold process for simple syrup. I do do cold process for grenadine, though. If I recall the last recipe I tried correctly, I think it was 1 cup of pomegranate juice, two cups of sugar, and half a cup of pomegranate molasses.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's .25 less citrus and .25 more sugar, so it's pretty significant.

Cold process is easy, you just agitate. Either make in a container you can shake or just stir with a whisk.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It's .25 less citrus and .25 more sugar, so it's pretty significant.

Cold process is easy, you just agitate. Either make in a container you can shake or just stir with a whisk.

I agree, it's enough of a difference to produce a noticeable change in flavor. I just think they're both on the spectrum of drinks someone might want, not incredible vs intolerable.

I know cold process isn't hard, but where it doesn't matter, I'd rather not dirty a blender or spend the time hand-whisking.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

1oz 1:1 will add roughly the same level of sweetness as 0.75 2:1. The specs arent that sweet. 1.5 oz of spirit is weird though.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Using a blender to make simple seems very strange and unnecessary, you literally just stir it.

Both 1oz of 1:1 and .75 of 2:1 sound very sweet to me, but maybe if your citrus is particularly tart or oxidized that’s needed. Our citrus is really great and comes to us in 36hours from tree to restaurant so I’m often cutting it as low as .5 (1:1, cold) to 1oz citrus to 2oz spirit.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Fart Car '97 posted:

So I think i'm going to make something in this vein next weekend along the lines of:

1 lemon juice
2 spiced simple syrup (throwing a bunch of mulling spices in there while it steeps or something)
3 bourbon, maybe rye
2 ginger beer
2 apple cider
a few dashes of bitters, probably angostura, maybe walnut?

I mainly can't decide if the ginger beer and apple cider, in place of something lighter like tea/water, means I should scale back my simple syrup a bit? Or at least make it like 1.5 sugar to 2 cups water to its not quite as potent? Am I over thinking it?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

vlad3217 posted:

So I think i'm going to make something in this vein next weekend along the lines of:

1 lemon juice
2 spiced simple syrup (throwing a bunch of mulling spices in there while it steeps or something)
3 bourbon, maybe rye
2 ginger beer
2 apple cider
a few dashes of bitters, probably angostura, maybe walnut?

I mainly can't decide if the ginger beer and apple cider, in place of something lighter like tea/water, means I should scale back my simple syrup a bit? Or at least make it like 1.5 sugar to 2 cups water to its not quite as potent? Am I over thinking it?

I’m doing a 5 spice cider reduction right now. I toast off my spices and add the cider. Let it reduce by about 2/3rds and then add half by weight of demerara sugar to provide balance. I think that it would be solid with rye and lemon. What ginger beer are you planning on using?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'd consider using more cider and less ginger beer; a little goes a long way.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

The Bandit posted:

I’m doing a 5 spice cider reduction right now. I toast off my spices and add the cider. Let it reduce by about 2/3rds and then add half by weight of demerara sugar to provide balance. I think that it would be solid with rye and lemon. What ginger beer are you planning on using?

Not sure at this point, it'll probably depend on what my local liquor store has. In general I'm trying to keep the punch lighter so as not to get anyone too drunk too quickly, so keeping the ratio of "weak" at 4 seems like a good idea, but that sounds great for future use.

Toast Museum posted:

I'd consider using more cider and less ginger beer; a little goes a long way.

Probably not a bad idea, you're right that it can take things over. Especially if I want the mulling spices to come through.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

when a recipe calls for bitters or simple syrup, what should I buy? I've got no idea what either one of those are.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Qubee posted:

when a recipe calls for bitters or simple syrup, what should I buy? I've got no idea what either one of those are.

Simple syrup usually refers to equal parts granulated white sugar and water. If the recipe calls for 2:1 simple syrup or rich simple syrup, it's two parts sugar to one part water. Just stir for a while or, especially if you're making rich syrup, zap it in the microwave until it just starts to simmer, then stir.

If a recipe calls for bitters without specifying what kind of bitters, it almost certainly means Angostura bitters. Any liquor store should have it, as do most grocery stores. A recipe that calls for aromatic bitters also wants this, though it might specify another brand.

If a recipe calls for something other than Angostura/aromatic bitters, it'll often specify a brand, which can help in tracking down a bottle. Orange bitters are probably the most common sort after aromatic, with the leading brands being Regan's, Fee Brothers, and Angostura. Beyond aromatic and orange bitters, wait until you've got a few recipes that call for something in particular before pulling the trigger.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I recently learned that my recipe for grenadine sells for $22 a pint at the (very nice and reasonably-priced) farm-to-table cafe down the street.

It's loving juice! And sugar! And a little orange flower water! For gently caress's sake!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I recently learned that my recipe for grenadine sells for $22 a pint at the (very nice and reasonably-priced) farm-to-table cafe down the street.

It's loving juice! And sugar! And a little orange flower water! For gently caress's sake!

how on earth can they markup the price so bad like that? price gouging is bonkers sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Yeah that’s pricey, but if they’re starting from whole fruit then I can see that being about right.