Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Black August posted:

Which challenge games are no longer possible? I see a lot of them as genuine achievements, and I'm MOSTLY sure that Archmage is still viable?

Well there were some crazy ones like "run to the small cave ASAP and don't leave until you're level 50" that relied a lot abusing various scum tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well there were some crazy ones like "run to the small cave ASAP and don't leave until you're level 50" that relied a lot abusing various scum tactics.

funnily enough eternium man is one of the ones you can actually get the steam achievement for "legitimately"... by doing the get to level 50 in the wilderness steel man achievement first, and then just entering the small cave for one turn. the challenge as it used to work in ye olde days is probably not viable anymore though as you mentioned though. pets got nerfed to not level up to super-duper high levels off of just killing things anymore and all the wish engine stuff just doesn't work. in theory it could still happen I guess but i don't know of anyone who's done it because it would be the worst thing in the world trying to farm up like 20 djinni summonings.

old school lithium man is funnily enough probably easier, but the way it's coded for the steam achievement is actually more strict than the old game. You're not allowed to go into the ogre cave and i think the animated forest/dwarven halls split sometimes fucks it up entirely due to how it counts the achievement (it just checks to see if the Locations Visisted stat is the lowest possible number). I think the shortcut also breaks this. it's not coded well, basically.

old school plutonium man got more routing difficulty i guess but I don't know anyone who has gone for it. the steam achievement is straight up bugged and you just always get it on your first win or something. everyone i know who has won did, at least.

the sub-10k turncount achievement is kinda impossible unless you're on the patch with the broken enter menu, in which case monk can do it. i guess it's theoretically possible now but you'd have to RNG into teleportitis from a pool or something and pray that it procs enough. the old strats of Just Being A Teleporting Wizard got owned by the hp casting nerf + teleport PP cost nerf. rip.

i haven't seen a proton man but it's probably doable, considering i've seen grond do a like 247% difficulty coin melee only run or something similarly stupid.

carbon fiber man can go gently caress itself but is likely similarly doable.

the new difficulty options have opened up some fun new things at least. 247% forever alone mode certainly forces you to Play Better at least without adding crazy tedious gimmicks, and the stats picker + non-fatal starving mode opens up some insanely hard minimum stats runs (instead of killing you starving just like nukes your stats, which when combined with intentional minimums gives like 1s across the board).

e: i haven't actually seen a brimstone man run since 1.2.0 but there's an odd possibility it may be easier now, stats-picked troll chaos knights are beefy enough to walk immediately to darkforge and kill golems so they're pretty goddamn tough. food would still be a problem, and i bet rng altars would still be required which is extra unfun on top of the re-rolling chaos knight requires in the first place

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 18, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

i haven't seen a proton man but it's probably doable, considering i've seen grond do a like 247% difficulty coin melee only run or something similarly stupid.

It was wand melee only. He did do, or at least try, a run where he was only allowed to use coin missile attacks.

But then, Grond is insane. After the 247% wand melee run I jokingly suggested a challenge called That's Just Your Opinion Man where you were only allowed to melee with the Collected Works of Confucious, and his response was "Well, Necromancers can start with it..."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

What really fucks with me is that he started to do 247% runs, then ADDED the Wrong Difficulty on top of that which comes from the friends-affect-difficulty thing. If any monster is going to pull off a Brimstone or discover what Omnipotence does (nothing though I still hold hope for some weird secret end or some way to use it during Nihilist) it's him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jazerus posted:

necromancy all day long

dungeonmans is just "put your starting points wherever you want", you can build any of the other classes from a dungeonmans

Yami Fenrir posted:

Necromancy and ranger together is basically cheating, hth.

I played around with Necromancy a bit on my first run but I spent a lot of time maxxed out on Deadpulses and nothing to use them on. I'll have to try it out again.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Necromans + Psychomans is the silliest poo poo once it gets going.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Black August posted:

What really fucks with me is that he started to do 247% runs, then ADDED the Wrong Difficulty on top of that which comes from the friends-affect-difficulty thing. If any monster is going to pull off a Brimstone or discover what Omnipotence does (nothing though I still hold hope for some weird secret end or some way to use it during Nihilist) it's him.

Grond has done Brimstone Man recently, I think. I know he was trying it.

As for the other, you can't get the SoO in a Nihilist run or any other UE as you can only access the Ultimate Dungeon after the Chaos Gate is closed. Even if you close the Gate for a normal win then get the scroll, you won't be able to return to D:50 as the stairs reverse.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

C-Euro posted:

I played around with Necromancy a bit on my first run but I spent a lot of time maxxed out on Deadpulses and nothing to use them on. I'll have to try it out again.

The Hateglacier or whatever is ridiculously strong. Every other skill is largely irrelevant in the tree.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The basics of doing well in Dungeonmans involve not getting hit. That's why Rangermans is good (free ranged attack + escape abilities), why Necromanser is good (ready access to a tank that isn't you), why Light Armor is good (it gives a big ol' pile of temporary HP), and why the decoy spell is ridiculously good. The decoy spell also is a prerequisite for the bamf spell, which IIRC is the best escape ability in the game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

C-Euro posted:

the regular mostly summoning spell isn't great, although mostlies are pretty decent - go straight for hateglacier. the second spell, which lets you turn an enemy into a bomb that also creates a mostly, is also extremely good - use it on trash enemies that are standing next to strong enemies.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Jedit posted:

As for the other, you can't get the SoO in a Nihilist run or any other UE as you can only access the Ultimate Dungeon after the Chaos Gate is closed. Even if you close the Gate for a normal win then get the scroll, you won't be able to return to D:50 as the stairs reverse.

Duh, that's why it's still a super secret hidden ending!!!!

Also the Inn of the Red Rooster is real :tinfoil:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Golden Krone Hotel on sale atm so I picked it up, quite interesting so far. I really like the potion system. Can vampires simply not use magic or is there an intelligence floor that I can eventually overcome?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Been playing quite a bit of Cinco Paus lately now that the game has finally clicked for me. Worth the effort to get into it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The basics of doing well in Dungeonmans involve not getting hit. That's why Rangermans is good (free ranged attack + escape abilities), why Necromanser is good (ready access to a tank that isn't you), why Light Armor is good (it gives a big ol' pile of temporary HP), and why the decoy spell is ridiculously good. The decoy spell also is a prerequisite for the bamf spell, which IIRC is the best escape ability in the game.

I hadn't really played around with the decoy ability until I got to the floor where I died. When I realized I was in trouble I definitely laid one down but half the enemies still went for me, natch.

Jazerus posted:

the regular mostly summoning spell isn't great, although mostlies are pretty decent - go straight for hateglacier. the second spell, which lets you turn an enemy into a bomb that also creates a mostly, is also extremely good - use it on trash enemies that are standing next to strong enemies.

Is that the first ability in the third Necro line? That one seems to poison enemies and turn them into Mostlies if they die while infected, I had it on my first character and it seemed...OK I guess?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

AttackBacon posted:

Golden Krone Hotel on sale atm so I picked it up, quite interesting so far. I really like the potion system. Can vampires simply not use magic or is there an intelligence floor that I can eventually overcome?

They have their own set of rather potent spells granted by a certain potion.

Managed my first win on Easy a week or so with a Vanguard. Planning your Blood potions and Soul Elixir is very important for completing the last couple of branches and the ending. Also, be sure not to rest too much, since time will pass very quickly and run out your transformation counter. Make good use of sunlight - it's fairly easy to anticipate and manipulate to your advantage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I hadn't really played around with the decoy ability until I got to the floor where I died. When I realized I was in trouble I definitely laid one down but half the enemies still went for me, natch.

Okay, part 1 of doing well in Dungeonmans is putting down your mitigations before you get in trouble. :v: Use the decoy to keep your enemies occupied while you kill them from a distance; it can buy you a few turns of grace when deployed that way. I haven't tried using it when enemies are already latched onto me.

I have to say one of my few disappointments with Dungeonmans is I never really got the hang of going melee. Having to trade blows with enemies really hurts your longevity, and you don't seem to do enough extra damage to make up for it. Plus managing your consumables becomes even more important, in a game where there's literally dozens of consumables and they're all just kind of piled into your inventory under the "consumables" tab.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

C-Euro posted:

When I realized I was in trouble I definitely laid one down but half the enemies still went for me, natch.
When a Decoymans dies, every enemy who sees it happens gets wise to your BS and won't fall for it again. Though, I'm thinking of making that a timed thing that decays so if you Decoy and then scramble, there's a chance they'll eat a second decoy cause the can't see you.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Plus managing your consumables becomes even more important, in a game where there's literally dozens of consumables and they're all just kind of piled into your inventory under the "consumables" tab.
Oh man reading this made me ponder: what if you could use the Alchemy lab to turn lower potions into higher potions once you've found the higher potions? That would cut down on the variety of pots you carry while still giving you value.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The perk that lets you use a potion without taking a turn is really good. Drink lots of potions.
The banners provide a ton of good spam-able sustain.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

madjackmcmad posted:

When a Decoymans dies, every enemy who sees it happens gets wise to your BS and won't fall for it again. Though, I'm thinking of making that a timed thing that decays so if you Decoy and then scramble, there's a chance they'll eat a second decoy cause the can't see you.
Is there an indicator for that? Either in text or a ! or something visually, even if it decays, would be helpful.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there an indicator for that? Either in text or a ! or something visually, even if it decays, would be helpful.

They all get ??? over their heads and jump up in the air, and the log says "[monster] won't fall for that again!"

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

please everyone buy city of brass because i love it a lot and i want the devs to keep going and supporting it. theyve added a shitload since launch and they are keeping on adding launch. it's very nice and polished https://store.steampowered.com/app/301840/City_of_Brass/

edit: also buy dungeonmans, it has sprites in it that were made by a really cool guy

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I've enjoyed City of Brass a fair bit as well. Last boss was pretty confusing, but other than that it's a good experience.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I didn't like the new genie character, not because I think it's bad conceptually, but mostly because being slow didn't seem a worthwhile tradeoff for 1 more heart.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i missed slay the spire chat but im gonna respond to it anyway:

the best possible thing you can do buildwise in sts is to stop trying to make a build and just take things when they are something that will help you right now or with the coming boss

re: dungeonmans one of my best characters i ever played was a necromanser w both banner trees and 2h weapons, its pretty fun you just have to have a plan for the melee damage youre going to take

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So Neuro Voider is $6 over at Chrono.gg. Does any one have any thoughts/experience with it?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
My brother owns it and we played a couple loops co-op a while back, it's a fun twinstick roguelite. Most of the equipment choices are completely brainless but there's some fun stuff in there.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

BexGu posted:

So Neuro Voider is $6 over at Chrono.gg. Does any one have any thoughts/experience with it?

Had fun for an afternoon with a couple friends with it. Wouldn't really pick it up again after that, wasn't too much to it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
:woop: Got my first win in ToME! :woop:

Archers are insanely broken and Ogres are pretty good too it turns out.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

BexGu posted:

As a twinstick roguelike lover it was merely meh for me. Cryptark felt like the better version of the same thing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Man I really like Cryptark. I'm not sure how I feel about the upcoming semi-sequel, "Gunhead", but I'm willing to give it a fair chance.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Ah Adom. I had forgotten you offered no protection whatsoever against fat-fingering. Never change.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Guess who's doing Brimstone ateeeeeemppptssss~~~~ :suspense:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://steamcommunity.com/games/497800/announcements/detail/1692684497233822865

quote:

Golden Krone Hotel has been fully released for one year! To celebrate, we're running a friendly little contest.

Be the first player to race to the top of the hotel to win.

The contest takes place over 3 nights (10/29 - 10/31) and starts precisely at 10pm EDT each night. Your run must start on or after that time.

Rules

To win, be the first to beat the game on NORMAL mode by getting at least 4 rings
Each night you must play with a specific disguise, which will be announced on twitter and discord[discordapp.com] shortly before the race starts
Make sure the setting "automatic morgue upload" is turned on to qualify or quickly upload it manually
As an extra bonus: try your hand at DESPAIR mode. One extra prize will be awarded to the first player during the three days who wins a run on DESPAIR with the announced disguise as long as that run begins and ends between 10pm - midnight EDT.
Max one prize per player

Prizes

Winners will have their choice of the following games:

Dead Cells
Slay the Spire
Cogmind

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Ah Adom. I had forgotten you offered no protection whatsoever against fat-fingering. Never change.

Whom did you kill that, in retrospect, you wish you had not

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man I really like Cryptark. I'm not sure how I feel about the upcoming semi-sequel, "Gunhead", but I'm willing to give it a fair chance.

It's kind of surprising that two very successful 2d rogue likes are making the jump to 3d for their sequel. ( The other being Risk Of Rain). I really hope it works out for both of them since I love both those games.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

dreadmojo posted:

Whom did you kill that, in retrospect, you wish you had not

90% chance he killed himself by bouncing magic missile into himself 50 times, putting him at -700 hp by the time it stopped. the 10% is he did this with lightning bolt or death rays

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I just bought new adom after not having played any version of it for like 15 years. I had a couple of ultras way back when and I remember most of the high level stuff but I realized on starting up that I don't recall the really basic stuff like where I want to put stats and skills and all that. I don't even remember which classes I liked aside from wizards being the best, sword human farmers ending up with crazy high weapon skills, etc. Is there a getting back up to speed guide or something?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New ADOM fundamentally changed how stat training and limits work and it broke my brain when I was trying to figure it out for some reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

andrew smash posted:

I just bought new adom after not having played any version of it for like 15 years. I had a couple of ultras way back when and I remember most of the high level stuff but I realized on starting up that I don't recall the really basic stuff like where I want to put stats and skills and all that. I don't even remember which classes I liked aside from wizards being the best, sword human farmers ending up with crazy high weapon skills, etc. Is there a getting back up to speed guide or something?

Appearance now reduces corruption rate. You can still tank it happily.

All weapons are strength based except whips, which are dex based. This makes whips one of the best weapon types in the game, as you only need to pump one stat for damage and +hit and you can do it with herbs.

Wizards were never as good as archers. Archers with decent perception can go straight to the bug temple and get to level 6 with one kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

wizards (and necromancers) still have infinite carrying capacity, and ball spells that let them do the main bug temple almost entirely risk free, and practically unlimited teleports, and more freedom to scum alignment or infinite ultra healing potions with healing spells, and can deal with cats and dwarves with scare/stun/calm monster, and never have to interact with a trapped door if they dont want to, and can lock any door they want without a key, and can cheese easy xp with slow monster, and can just delete poisoning.

they're still top tier.