Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Screaming Idiot posted:

Wicked fire starter

Twisted fire starter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Antioch posted:

Twisted fire starter!

Oooowoo woo woo woo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

hey, hey, HEY!

That's enough of that now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Shake hands with a harpy eagle danger!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Choose your fighter

https://i.imgur.com/FYkUhBG.mp4

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

He's no match for bouncing baby style :3:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Of the reptiles I've eaten alligator is the best just edging out turtle. Snake is also good. I wanna try iguana, but don't know where to get it besides leaving the country.

Come to south Florida, iguanas are absolutely everywhere now. So many now in fact that FWC has been telling people it's okay to kill them if they're on your property. Personally I think it's nice to see them out sunning on the drive to work but if you want to come down and eat a few go for it.

Edit: Hell, here's a newspaper article from February going over ways you're allowed and not allowed to kill them and ways to keep them off your property if you don't want to kill them.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-sb-iguana-handling-issues-20180131-story.html

Guyver has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Oct 17, 2018

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guyver posted:

Come to south Florida, iguanas are absolutely everywhere now. So many now in fact that FWC has been telling people it's okay to kill them if they're on your property. Personally I think it's nice to see them out sunning on the drive to work but if you want to come down and eat a few go for it.

Edit: Hell, here's a newspaper article from February going over ways you're allowed and not allowed to kill them and ways to keep them off your property if you don't want to kill them.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-sb-iguana-handling-issues-20180131-story.html

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1044253530616410113

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
re'spect all cat's

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My parents had a house in The Villages, Florida but we never saw any iguanas there (likely because it's a well-maintained retirement community). Now I wish I had the chance to eat iguana. I bet it tastes like gator or snake, but boney like rabbit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guyver posted:

I'm assuming it was a bunch of released pets like the boas that now live in Florida.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Apparently from The Emergency Bouzouki Player by Andrew Brel.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

This one is loving great. I love whale falls, they can sustain a whole unique community for years, even down to specialized worms that seem to exclusive live around whale bones.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

When I first saw this my brain didn't get the scale right and I thought the fish was, like, salmon sized. Fuckin whales, man.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That almost looks like a tiger shark. I didn't know they could get way down there, unless that's not super deep water. I know greenland sharks hang out down there and live for like 200 years or something.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This one is loving great. I love whale falls, they can sustain a whole unique community for years, even down to specialized worms that seem to exclusive live around whale bones.

There's a great story about the virtues of pure science which comes from the first whale fall ever deeply studied.

A few decades back a biologist realised that no one had any idea what happened to gigantic whale corpses after they died. Blue whales are the largest animals which have ever lived, but after they died? A complete mystery.

So he managed to secure some funding, draw up some plans and set about waiting for someone to find a dead whale in a suitable location. Eventually someone did - off a coast somewhere in the Arctic. His team put a chain around the corpse, tied it to a boat and dragged it into the deepest water they could while still being able to access it to study it.

It took years. Literally years for it to break down. Countless species came and went, some having travelled unheard of distances. And not just the ones they expected either. Hagfish from over a thousand kilometres away visited the corpse which no one was expecting.

Finally, almost all the meat was gone and nothing was left but bone, some connective tissue and chunks of blubber nothing else was able to stomach. Now it was the time of the microbes to shine. Or slime, I should say.

In those deep, frozen waters, slime covered the whale and, at last, the final chapter of the whale's remains was going to come to a quiet close.

Or so everyone involved thought.

Then someone realised - hey, this slime is breaking down and digesting fat in near freezing water. That's not right, surely?

Everyone knows, if you want to break down fats you need high temperatures and high pressure otherwise it doesn't work.

What the team had managed to discover, through those humble slimy microbes, was an entirely new class of enzyme capable of breaking down lipids at low temperatures.

That might not seem like much, but industry spent billions of dollars each year dealing with fats they didn't want. So did the cleaning industry. Not just industrial cleaning, either. Domestic, too.

Every time you see dishwashing or laundry detergent like this:

You can thank a team of dedicated biologists who once spent nearly a decade of their lives watching a whale corpse dissolving in the ocean.

And the final moral of the story - we need pure science because the thing about pure science is that you can never possibly know where it's going to take you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And the final moral of the story - we need pure science because the thing about pure science is that you can never possibly know where it's going to take you.

One of my favourite stories about pure science is some guys in CSIRO in Australia trying to discover Stephen Hawking's theorised "evaporating" black holes which would be smaller than an atom even though they had the mass of Mt Everest and which were supposed to emit a burst of radio waves when they disappeared. They had to develop some pretty specialized tech to even try to detect these radio waves against the background noise of the universe but in the end the study was a complete failure and they never found any evidence of evaporating black holes. The mathematics they came up with to "unsmear" weak radio waves from background noise, on the other hand, was later used as the basis for pretty much all modern WiFi and the patents earned the CSIRO over a billion dollars in royalties.

SCIENCE, BITCHES! :eng101:

The current Australian government has absolutely slashed the funding to the CSIRO, partly because they couldn't immediately see much "national benefit" behind a lot of their research

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/1052781425739685888

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gonna go ahead and not make a looong looooooooong maaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaan joke here, but just know that I wanted to.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Of the reptiles I've eaten alligator is the best just edging out turtle. Snake is also good. I wanna try iguana, but don't know where to get it besides leaving the country.

I had fried iguana from a food truck in Austin TX. Ir was delicious. Had a profile similar to rattlesnake if you've had that before. I also ate fried goat brains and rat stew from the same truck. Those goat brains were epic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rat stew sounds interesting. Did you make a Demolition Man joke?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Solice Kirsk posted:

that was a rat burger goddammit. please respect my culture (demolition man).

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Very gamey but well seasoned. I made a Freejack refrence actually.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
NASA has made their entire media library free to the public, which means you can see mundane things like your mom’s dildo delivery:

or hundreds of high-res images from Hubble, like the Swan Nebula:

The whole archive is searchable, and each image has a link to the highest resolution available.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Busket Posket posted:

NASA has made their entire media library free to the public, which means you can see mundane things like your mom’s dildo delivery:

or hundreds of high-res images from Hubble, like the Swan Nebula:

The whole archive is searchable, and each image has a link to the highest resolution available.

That is clearly your dad's butt plug - look, it's got your mom's name on it and everything.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Finally, the nerds at NASA have flipped the script: instead of dying inside the things they build, you can die with one inside you

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
My 78-year-old father knows that the best butt plugs are Russian and have a flared base thankyouverymuch.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

lmao the base on that flying buttplug is way too small. if they fly to the moon they aint coming back anytime soon

the problem with correctly proportioned and functionally safe buttplugs is that they are not very aerodynamic

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only issue I had with the rat burger in Demolition Man is that it looked like it was a straight patty on bread, nothing else.

I know that train!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

lmao the base on that flying buttplug is way too small. if they fly to the moon they aint coming back anytime soon

the problem with correctly proportioned and functionally safe buttplugs is that they are not very aerodynamic

They don't need to be. It's more important that they're astrodynamic.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Busket Posket posted:

My 78-year-old father knows that the best butt plugs are Russian and have a flared base thankyouverymuch.

This one appears to have deployed the speculum.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

This one appears to have deployed the speculum.

An apt comparison waiting for a joke that I hope never comes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This thread is making me laugh during a horrid petsitting job, thanks guys.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Busket Posket posted:

My 78-year-old father knows that the best butt plugs are Russian
NASA spent millions developing a zero-g buttplug. The Soviets used a pencil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

syscall girl posted:

An apt comparison waiting for a joke that I hope never comes

That's what she said!!!