Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

For some reason, this guy keeps saying for some reason, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Rice_Maiden/status/1052776380574781440

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I hadn't spent a lot of time on the sub in the last 2 years, and as I go back there I'm noticing a huge upswing in broken english. Also a lot of lying to each other about the state of things. Did SC make like the Mormon Church and start branching out to non english speaking countries? Are they just more susceptible to the scam because they can't access most of the counter-information?

This game is so awesome after the 3.3 (PTU). Rearly FPS under 40-50, and stuff just work. I'm a happy spaceman atm!
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9p7idw/this_game_is_so_awesome_after_the_33_ptu_rearly/?st=jnevi2qw&sh=c180d4de

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Just finishing one solar system will take them at least into 2020, but I'm sure once those pipelines mature a new system will launch every week and this will be in the game in a year or two tops!

quote:

"only the highest class can afford to live on our home planet."

So only Legatus level backers? Whale sanctuary confirmed?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Licarn posted:

For some reason, this guy keeps saying for some reason, for some reason.

He knows the reason, but he wants people to fill in the blanks. That way he knows who to trust.

It's like the strawman erected for 'calling out', because he's just 'telling it like it is', and for some reason, eh eh eh?, that makes some people mad for some reason.

The he erects another one for the mythical 'person that likes making GBS threads on a game just because'. You'll note how he avoids any mention of concerns over the entire project, and concentrates on the more nebulous quality of 'haters'. He's honestly a superb example of debating dishonesty where you can actually pick out the little tactical shifts between ad homenim (going after the messenger, particularly) appeals to ignorance and authority, and the use of various mythical entities to prove a point to the wide audience rather than the person addressed.

it's almost knee-jerk now, because the world has split into two. True backers and the forces of evil led by Kayak sock-puppeting Derek Smart.

Honestly I blame smartphones for all of this.

Sarsapariller posted:

I hadn't spent a lot of time on the sub in the last 2 years, and as I go back there I'm noticing a huge upswing in broken english. Also a lot of lying to each other about the state of things. Did SC make like the Mormon Church and start branching out to non english speaking countries? Are they just more susceptible to the scam because they can't access most of the counter-information?

One thing that amazed me during my brief foray into social media development - access to the firehose at Twitter used to be a lot easier than now, because they tend to require you handle bandwidth at scale - was just how quickly the whole thing was monetized and manipulated. Like back in 2010 it was 'x' dollars for so many likes. It made the concept of using Twitter as a macro-barometer of interest literally laughable, and added to the computer OCR revolution and some novel use of Mechanical Turk, and all of a sudden there's something like twice the number of Twitter accounts than there are people on the planet.

What I'm saying is that there's a non-zero chance that they're using social media services to try to boost profile.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 18, 2018

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rugganovich posted:

Or we could all agree that all wars are loving terrible and humans do lovely things to each other during said wars.

agreed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Avatar wars gave a man the power to bend over.

Why do you hate our lord and benefactor Lowtax?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

"October 18th 2018

So very close.

The simulation nearly hit self-awareness, but the agents again stalled at the critical juncture of falsifying the data, and instead re-affirmed the anomaly. It's extremely frustrating to have them read all the parameters and fail to process the critical step of self-examination.

I'm going to go back to the cockroach model. Those guys were great all the way up to Ponzis."

It's a bit worrying that backers fail a Turing test that easily.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Hav posted:

Why is Morphix posting balls?
- Q

verse
balls
pizza chamber inside krakken
krakken balls?
the answer is the balls
- Q

speaking of which when can we really get this death cult going?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

*Ron Howard voice* He never criticizes them.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

They could produce all hundred planets if they wanted, but they choose not to.

Darn it, these guys are literally world class debaters.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ah cool, we're finally getting to the point where Citizens just give up waiting and start making the drat thing themselves. This will be a good head start for when CIG just goes "gently caress it, we tried, here's all the assets for modders to use"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Goblin posted:

Ah cool, we're finally getting to the point where Citizens just give up waiting and start making the drat thing themselves. This will be a good head start for when CIG just goes "gently caress it, we tried, here's all the assets for modders to use"

Right, time to implant the concept of the Brony decal mustang skin. I'm fairly certain that we could make it go viral fairly easily. Like in World of Diving;

(the dangers of the whale backer)

Finally, it is _our_ time.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Hav posted:

They could produce all hundred planets if they wanted, but they choose not to.

Darn it, these guys are literally world class debaters.

In fairness, “I could do it but I don’t want to” was a dazzling rhetorical triumph back on the kindergarten playground.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hav posted:

Right, time to implant the concept of the Brony decal mustang skin. I'm fairly certain that we could make it go viral fairly easily. Like in World of Diving;

https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...ih=690&dpr=1.38

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ZekeNY posted:

In fairness, “I could do it but I don’t want to” was a dazzling rhetorical triumph back on the kindergarten playground.

I know when I'm beaten by a spurious claim of capability by a third party in opposition to all evidence.

Those darned Star Citizen kids know how to show an old Goon, etc.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hav posted:

In the twisted world of Star Citizen backers, it would have to be a creepy hyper-sexualized version of the ponies.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

no_recall posted:

Current Haul of Citizen's Conned : $ 1,444,879.00

:rip:
Dogeh 1.2M
monkeytek I'm guessing $1.44 million
Morphix 1.3mil
nawledgelambo I can't find the post because of all the third reich heiling about, but put me down for 1.15mil

does this mean i lose

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

nawledgelambo posted:

does this mean i lose

You were closer than I was!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

nawledgelambo posted:

does this mean i lose

It means we all lose. The human race is done. Kaput.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Who sat down to Xerox their rear end on the copy machine?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Who sat down to Xerox their rear end on the copy machine?

Who hasn't?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh also the big new $700 capship the Hammerhead now has the "Appropriate" size 4 guns.

See, they "Accidentally" let it out onto the PTU with size 5 guns, which are basically battleship cannons but it was only ever supposed to have size 4. What a mix-up! It's a good thing they corrected that, a week after all of the publicity videos, gameplay videos, streams and sales were done showing how easily it obliterated poo poo! I'm sure refunds will be made available to people who spent seven hundred actual US dollars on a blatant misrepresentation.

if that was sales-tactics it would be an outright fraud. but also here we find that typical ambiguity between “incompetence“ and “fraud“. you can never tell for sure. the croberts tactics are incredible.

phase 1: i am the best. i make the best products. only rockstar comes close.
phase 2: guys it takes longer because it will be even more better
phase 3: oops. sorry. i dont have anything. but have you heard about the NEW best thing im working on?

phase 1 (new best thing)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

space-X-chicken posted:

One of the reasons why the comparison with Rockstar actually interested me is that the Housers* are massive movie buffs who indulge that particular fascination with using games as a story telling format, particularly with regard to things like gangster movies. They don't give many interviews, but when they do, they talk a lot about their influences and the feel that they're trying to bring to the games.

Given that they have a bunch of titles under their belt that have set standards for storytelling, I just thought it was hella-odd for Crobbers to try and claim any kinship given how he got thrown off the franchise that he was part of.

Wishful thinking almost.

* Yes, I know they're shitlords, it's not the point.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh also the big new $700 capship the Hammerhead now has the "Appropriate" size 4 guns.

See, they "Accidentally" let it out onto the PTU with size 5 guns, which are basically battleship cannons but it was only ever supposed to have size 4. What a mix-up! It's a good thing they corrected that, a week after all of the publicity videos, gameplay videos, streams and sales were done showing how easily it obliterated poo poo! I'm sure refunds will be made available to people who spent seven hundred actual US dollars on a blatant misrepresentation.

This is how they walk the tightrope over fraud. See, it's ok to let you pay for this ship, here are its traits. Oh, wait, we changed it. What's this? You already paid for it based on what we said the traits were previously? Don't you understand game development? This is in pre-alpha! Everything is subject to change!

The idea that maybe CIG shouldn't be taking money for things that are subject to change rarely gets brought up. When it does, backers say the ships are merely an incentive and you're just pledging money. The ship is a bonus when you pledge.

If that's true, I'm 100% certain no backers will mind if CIG wipes the slate clean and gives nobody any ships if/when the game goes "live." It was just a pledge anyway!

Chris Roberts: you're a thief and a fraud.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Avatar wars gave a man the power to bend over.

Why do you hate our lord and benefactor Lowtax?

so lowtax is that tall blue guy from the movie??

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 18, 2018

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

If that's true, I'm 100% certain no backers will mind if CIG wipes the slate clean and gives nobody any ships if/when the game goes "live." It was just a pledge anyway!
The worst part is you say this and we both know some of them would cope their way past it, chew, swallow and then say it was good for star citizen.

Of course the game is going to "go live" with something resembling its current state so I doubt the shuddering non-event will involve anything like that.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

space-X-chicken posted:

if that was sales-tactics it would be an outright fraud. but also here we find that typical ambiguity between “incompetence“ and “fraud“. you can never tell for sure. the croberts tactics are incredible.

phase 2: guys it takes longer because it will be even more better
phase 3: oops. sorry. i dont have anything. but have you heard about the NEW best thing im working on?

phase 1 (new best thing)

We've already discussed here before that Crobberts has basically discovered a loophole in fraud rules. As long as you try really hard and fail due to complete incompetence, it is legal to take people's money and not deliver what they thought they were getting.

But in this case, they literally stated that it should be one size, delivered the higher firepower product, filmed and sold it, and then changed back to the original. That seems... hard to pass off as just incompetence. I mean to be fair the ship is still ludicrously overpowered. Each turret at the correct size is the equivalent of a full Constellation's firepower. But the point is that stuff like this seems really suspicious. How do you accidentally up-size the guns on your latest big-ticket flagship just in time for it to go on sale?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I bet even the powerful Mirificus bot can't find Vertisce being critical of CIG.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

We've already discussed here before that Crobberts has basically discovered a loophole in fraud rules. As long as you try really hard and fail due to complete incompetence, it is legal to take people's money and not deliver what they thought they were getting.

Not so much a loophole as a gamble that *in the end* they will consider this a good faith attempt. That doesn't stop anything that's black and white, so for example tax fraud.

There's a reason Al Capone went to jail for tax fraud.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Sarsapariller posted:

Isn't this the plot to The Producers? Except in that they were trying to make a piece of poo poo and accidentally made gold.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xanif posted:

Isn't this the plot to The Producers? Except in that they were trying to make a piece of poo poo and accidentally made gold.

Well most of the song would be correct..."Springtime for Roberts and Germany..."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

xanif posted:

quote:

Freyermuth Ortwin: I would like to say something, your Honor. Not in my behalf, but in reference to my partner, Mr. Roberts.

Judge: Proceed.

Freyermuth Ortwin: Your Honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury - Chris Roberts is the most... selfish man I ever met in my life.

Chris Roberts: [whispering angrily] Don't help me!

Freyermuth Ortwin: Not only is he a liar, and a cheat, and a scoundrel and a crook, who has taken money from little old ladies, but he's also talked people into doing things, especially me, that they would never, in a thousand years have dreamed of doing! But, your Honor, as I understand it, the law was created to protect people from being wronged. Your Honor, whom has Chris Roberts wronged? I mean, who has he really hurt? Not me. Not me. I was... this man... No one ever called me 'Freyerboobs' before! I mean, I know it's not a big legal point, but even in kindergarten they used to call me 'SpottyOrsty' I never sang a song before! I mean with someone else, I never sang a song with someone else before. This man... This man... this is a wonderful man! He made me what I am today. He did. And what of the dear ladies? What would their lives have been without Chris Roberts? Chris Roberts, who made them feel young, and attractive, and wanted again? That's all I have to say.

[the court applauds enthusiastically]

Judge: [banging] Order, order.

Chris Roberts: [standing] And may I humbly add, your Honor, that we've learned our lesson. And we'll never do it again.

[cut to Chris and Ortwin in prison]
Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

I mean to be fair the ship is still ludicrously overpowered.

this already is crazy.
pitch (kermit voice): hey guys you all love chess right? its a game of pure skill where real hotshot gamers like you guys compete and have great battles. but it was corrupted by chinese manufacturers who built lovely plastic chess sets and sell them for a high price.

i am going to re-invent chess for you guys. we are building the playboard in the background guys.
you can already buy the chess pieces though. the REAL GOOD THING about our version of chess is that you are not limited in how you compose your army.why not buy a set of queens already?

if chess is fun with one queen. can you imagine the fun with 12 queens or even more?

our vision is not limited.
our scope is endless.
the playfield will be endless.
the number of pieces will be endless.
our roadmap is endless.

you will love it guys.

edit: so what i really try to say here is that they are not really building a game. chess, to me, is a game: here is the playfield. you're allowed to do this and that with your pieces. here is the rulebook. now have fun you little nerd. if you like chess you may buy a chessboard made out of gold and brag about it. but the game is defined. everyone knows the limits and the rules.

the only endless, money making game with changing ruleset i can think about is magic the gathering.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 18, 2018