Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
These "race, not economic anxiety" articles always carefully scrub the fact that turnout is in the toilet and poor people, in particular, don't vote. These news outlets need to do this because they were the same ones angsting over the White Working Class as a political monolith for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

I gotta tell you, I'm just sick and tired of Nazi poo poo these days.

Thats...ok? Don't buy the game I guess?

There's a lot of latitude between "(media product) about nazi germany" and "endorsing nazi policy and actions". A lot of different media products have walked that line very well over the years. I've not seen anything from this particular game that makes me think it will excuse war crimes or offer apologia for nazism.

I think a lot of the hand wringing in this thread is anticipatory of some uncouth reaction from modern day e-nazis. Allow me to remove any lingering doubts anyone has: they'll love the elements of the game that align with their world view, and they'll howl about any elements of the game that do not. That said, the feelings and actions of modern nazis should absolutely not influence an otherwise worthwhile piece of art or business venture, and shaming a company or artist because nazis might like their product is irritatingly reactionary.

Note: this is all speaking generically, if the game (which I'm not going to buy either way because I hate shooty games) turns out to be a celebration of nazism I'll enjoy the publisher's abrupt downfall as much or more than anyone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MikeCrotch posted:

It's more "do you trust the triple-A games industry to make a game about WWII Germans that doesn't either glorify war crimes or perpetrate the Clean Wehrmacht myth"

I for one am not terribly confident.

Here is a list of triple-AAA video games titles that included playable WWII Germans in them:

Battlefield 1942
BF1943
Medal of Honor
About a dozen MoH sequels
Day of Defeat
Call of Duty
About a dozen CoD sequels
Day of Defeat
World War 2 Online

That's just first-person shooters. Even if we include sims (SWOTL, World of Tanks, World of Warships), RTS games (Company of Heroes), tactics games (Blitzkrieg, Panzer Tactics), turn-based strategy (Panzer General, Hearts of Iron) and other genres that reduce the individual soldier to a higher or lower level of abstraction, this is a *lot* of triple-AAA titles.

Which of these have either glorified war crimes or perpetuated the clean wehrmacht myth?

quote:

This is not true in the slightest, the far-right always gains supporters in times of economic distress.

What economic distress are you talking about?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think I'd appreciate it if the caution some of us in this thread have expressed at this thing is not just casually dismissed as 'handwringing'.

Edit:

quote:

Which of these have either glorified war crimes or perpetuated the clean wehrmacht myth? 
You are listing multiplayer games. Bit different when we are considering narrative games. Consider for example Silent Storm which had the allies and the axis as completely symmetrical and in the end fighting some shadowy conspiracy which is really orchestrating the war. Consider Company of Heroes opposing fronts which added the SS inspired 'panzer elite', complete with playable Wittmann style tiger aces and badass Knights cross bearer supersoldiers.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 18, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Halloween Jack posted:

These "race, not economic anxiety" articles always carefully scrub the fact that turnout is in the toilet and poor people, in particular, don't vote. These news outlets need to do this because they were the same ones angsting over the White Working Class as a political monolith for months.
the poor vote dem. the people who call themselves the "white working class" make a lot of money, comparatively.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Battlefield 1942
BF1943
Medal of Honor
Day of Defeat
Call of Duty
Day of Defeat
World War 2 Online

This list cracked me up.

Call of Day of Honor Defeat Battlefield Duty II Online BUY IT TODAY

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Here is a list of triple-AAA video games titles that included playable WWII Germans in them:

Battlefield 1942
BF1943
Medal of Honor
Day of Defeat
Call of Duty
Day of Defeat
World War 2 Online

That's just first-person shooters. Even if we include sims (SWOTL, World of Tanks, World of Warships), RTS games (Company of Heroes), tactics games (Blitzkrieg, Panzer Tactics), turn-based strategy (Panzer General, Hearts of Iron) and other genres that reduce the individual soldier to a higher or lower level of abstraction, this is a *lot* of triple-AAA titles.

There is a big difference between multiplayer only gameplay (most of that list) and those with a single player German narrative campaign, dude.

Also Day of Defeat is apparently so good you included it twice.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Battlefield 1942
BF1943
Medal of Honor
Day of Defeat
Call of Duty
Day of Defeat
World War 2 Online

And how many of these had a German single-player campaign with storyline elements?

MikeCrotch posted:

It's more "do you trust the triple-A games industry to make a game about WWII Germans that doesn't either glorify war crimes or perpetrate the Clean Wehrmacht myth"

I for one am not terribly confident.

Also this. Present day "gamer culture" is a cancerous cesspool and the realistic/historical FPS crowd is even worse. It'd be pretty drat stupid to think the industry won't eventually give them what they clamor for (that is, glorious Kruppstahl panzerkampf vs. perfidious asiatic red hordes).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

the poor vote dem. the people who call themselves the "white working class" make a lot of money, comparatively.

Yeah um my ex wife's extended family for example were both bona fide poor and Republican and racist as gently caress. It might be nice to believe that poor people don't vote Republican (or hold Nazi adjacent opinions about things such as race) but it isn't actually true.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bewbies posted:

I find the pearl clutching about Wehrmacht video game characters to be very confusing and logically inconsistent.

I also think people should not really care what modern day nazis do or think.

Do people here protest against genocide simulators like Europa Universalis or Victoria?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

feedmegin posted:

There is a big difference between multiplayer only gameplay (most of that list) and those with a single player German narrative campaign, dude.

WW2 multiplayer shooters are essentially e-reenactment including the weird nazi dude that makes everyone uncomfortable. Very few FPS games have a Nazi Germany themed campaign but quite a few older post hex RTS games from the late nineties to the middle of the last decade do.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
World of Tanks and War Thunder players whine nonstop about German tanks not being the invincible death machines they want them to be, so the best case scenario would be to make the Tiger terrible. Bonus points for having it break down in the opening cutscene and then the crew gets pressed into fighting as infantry.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

World of Tanks and War Thunder players whine nonstop about German tanks not being the invincible death machines they want them to be, so the best case scenario would be to make the Tiger terrible. Bonus points for having it break down in the opening cutscene and then the crew gets pressed into fighting as infantry.

It'd be a hilarious move if for the first ten minutes after build up the tank just breaks down and the SS then get made at you for it and hunt the player for the rest of the campaign.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean the way I would do it would be to have the tiger commander guy recount all those stories about killing hundreds of shermans, and have the main character slowly realise he's making all that poo poo up.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ChubbyChecker posted:

Do people here protest against genocide simulators like Europa Universalis or Victoria?

If the current political climate saw a drastic increase in the number of angry young men marching in the streets wearing pith helmets and calling for a bloody return of the Raj, you're drat right I'd be angry.

But that's not what's happening, so...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

feedmegin posted:

This is special pleading. Panzer General is a single-player game with the narrative that you are playing as an officer in command of the Nazi state’s army units, trying to achieve victory in battle against the Allies. Hell, Axis and Allies does that. Is it okay because the narrative is superficial?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'd be a hilarious move if for the first ten minutes after build up the tank just breaks down and the SS then get made at you for it and hunt the player for the rest of the campaign.

Executed by Feldjagers after a drumhead trial.

Press "F" to pay respects.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I feel like we really need a Historical Media/Pop Culture discussion thread now.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SeanBeansShako posted:

I feel like we really need a Historical Media/Pop Culture discussion thread now.

Aren't there like a dozen different forums and sub-forums for video games on this site?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Phanatic posted:

This is special pleading. Panzer General is a single-player game with the narrative that you are playing as an officer in command of the Nazi state’s army units, trying to achieve victory in battle against the Allies. Hell, Axis and Allies does that. Is it okay because the narrative is superficial?

Yes. Also because those games are pretty niche, appeal to an older crowd, and from a genre point of view are less capable of being persuasive and engaging.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

What I'm saying is that gamers should go to those forums to discuss their video games.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Phanatic posted:

Yes, they're not personal stories about war criminals they're abstract counter-pushing, of course they have less impact on what people think. Also, a game that's practically a household name in the US which is going to be played by millions and millions of people all around the planet has slightly more impact and cultural relevance than some groggy wargame (or literal boardgame in the case of A&A) that has maybe 1% of the audience that Battlefield does.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 18, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

Aren't there like a dozen different forums and sub-forums for video games on this site?

Considering games are only a tiny bit of how history can be projected and explored via other mediums perhaps, but a thread that focuses on things like movies, books, music and even plays would be drat interesting.

Plus we had this discussion thirty pages back in this thread.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I think we can all agree that the German campaign in Battlefield 5 would be infinitely better if it featured a tank destroyer instead of a Tiger.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SeanBeansShako posted:

Considering games are only a tiny bit of how history can be projected and explored via other mediums perhaps, but a thread that focuses on things like movies, books, music and even plays would be drat interesting.

Plus we had this discussion thirty pages back in this thread.

And will have it again the next time some retard starts posting about video games in this thread. Ban video games from this thread. Hell, in real life too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Perhaps if you read and weren’t a snarky moron, you would have noticed I said “Germans” and “Battlefield 1”. That was in reference to it being weird that there weren’t Germans in BF1 war stories. Which by any metric should be a playable group, considering a belligerent power bent on territorial conquest is playable, in the form of Italy.

That describes every major combatant if we're being honest.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 18, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ChubbyChecker posted:

No. People also don't seem to care much about games that present WWII Germany in a strategic or tactical capacity, nor are they particularly concerned that games featuring Red Army soldiers might be an endorsement of Stalinism or an attempt to whitewash Red Army war crimes.

I mean, I get why so many of you are hypervigilant about nazi stuff but the logic there seems to be applied in a wildly inconsistent way.

I remember some of the first over the top internet arguments I ever saw were on the "Air Warrior" boards back in the mid 90s that featured a pro-German mafia of sorts howling -- and eventually threatening to boycott -- because the 109 and 190 were insufficiently dominant against pitiful allied aircraft.

Ironically enough the P-51 has its own mafia that seems to follow it around from game to game.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 18, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

And will have it again the next time some retard starts posting about video games in this thread. Ban video games from this thread. Hell, in real life too.

Maybe but with a thread we can steer them towards it instead of doing this same old song dance every time a Triple A video game does a world war.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

I believe so, and also grant strategy games like that show the atrocities from 30,000 feet. There's a big difference between "The SS want to borrow a few of your trains to ship captured untermenschen west. Do you let them hinder the war effort for the sake of genocide?" and "Your sergeant tells you to shoot a Jew in the face as she's begging you for mercy."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

I mean, I get why so many of you are hypervigilant about nazi stuff but the logic there seems to be applied in a wildly inconsistent way.

Describe for me, if you would, a completely logical framework whereby pro-Nazi media is rejected.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

Maybe but with a thread we can steer them towards it instead of doing this same old song dance every time a Triple A video game does a world war.

It's not just video games.

Look, if my posts about how I dislike the increasing social acceptance of the far right are out of place in a military history thread, I apologize.

But a lot of military history - especially that of WWII - revolves around that sort of thing. You can't talk about the biggest war in history without bumping into Nazis at some point. Video games based on these events are going to have to address these issues somehow. The fact is that most people get their history exposure through movies, TV, and video games as opposed to academic texts, so here we are.

If it's the video games that are a problem, well, maybe I can talk about how Nazi fabric production and tailoring is a good example for how crappy their whole system was...

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Cessna posted:

If the current political climate saw a drastic increase in the number of angry young men marching in the streets wearing pith helmets and calling for a bloody return of the Raj, you're drat right I'd be angry.

But that's not what's happening, so...

To be fair, there were serious discussions among the Tory brexiteer crowd about Brexit being an opportunity for 'Empire 2.0'.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

Describe for me, if you would, a completely logical framework whereby pro-Nazi media is rejected.

I read this several times and couldn't figure out exactly what you're asking...could you rephrase?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

That describes every major combatant if we're being honest.

Not the US! Maybe Britain, but I’m sure they were happy to have more colonies. It wasn’t their war aim though. If it was it was really not worth it.

Coldwar timewarp fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 18, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Not the US! Maybe Britain, but I’m sure they were happy to have more colonies. It wasn’t their was aim though. If it was it was really not worth it.

IIRC, one of Britain's major motivations for WWI was that the High Seas Fleet posed a potential threat to British naval dominance, and thus jeopardized Britain's colonial empire.

The US had little territorial interest, but it is really a stretch to call the US a "Major Combatant" in WW1.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

I read this several times and couldn't figure out exactly what you're asking...could you rephrase?

Sure!

You said "I get why so many of you are hypervigilant about nazi stuff but the logic there seems to be applied in a wildly inconsistent way."

What would it take to be logically consistent to you?

I think my logic is pretty straightforward: gently caress Nazis. They want to degrade, hurt, and murder innocent people, so I don't want them or their viewpoints to be accepted. I don't like entertainment media that - even inadvertently, even through ignorance - makes their views more mainstream or commonplace.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Gnoman posted:

IIRC, one of Britain's major motivations for WWI was that the High Seas Fleet posed a potential threat to British naval dominance, and thus jeopardized Britain's colonial empire.

The US had little territorial interest, but it is really a stretch to call the US a "Major Combatant" in WW1.

Defending the empire is not the same as seeking territorial gains.

I think you have to count the US as their potential in addition to their contribution. With US troops arriving at eventually 10000 per day and Germany running low on men, the fact of the shifting balance of power can’t be underestimated. They had 2 million men in France by the time of the Armistice. The Kaiserschlacht needed to be launched as soon as possible, and the arrival of Americans was one of the reasons.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Well to be honest, War Thunder is a total Russian cheer fest.

They reduced the armour on the Panzers in class 5 and 6 down so low it was silly. There were times playing you watched a Tiger I get holed thru the front mantlet by a T-50. Uh... no. Not even with the most advanced Soviet ammo could that happen even at a range of 100 meters...

But as a counterpoint, the Panzer fanbois are oft out of control. Just look at the comments in the Fury Tiger vs. Sheman clip on YouTube. The Tiger fan club is totally out of clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

Sure!

You said "I get why so many of you are hypervigilant about nazi stuff but the logic there seems to be applied in a wildly inconsistent way."

What would it take to be logically consistent to you?

I think my logic is pretty straightforward: gently caress Nazis. They want to degrade, hurt, and murder innocent people, so I don't want them or their viewpoints to be accepted. I don't like entertainment media that - even inadvertently, even through ignorance - makes their views more mainstream or commonplace.

Your concern is that featuring Wehrmacht characters in video games normalizes nazism, or constitutes apologism for nazis, or whitewashes wehrmacht war crimes, correct?

On the previous page you endorsed a game scenario that featured a cool red army person (which I agree would be a cool game). Why does that video game scenario elicit excitement from you, instead of concern about normalizing stalinism or Soviet communism, or whitewashing red army war crimes?

If the answer is "gently caress nazis" that's fine, but that isn't logically consistent.