Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
didnt subjunctive, the venture capitalist, get it

or am i thinking of tmcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Dr.Caligari posted:

woops. forgot you can't edit here. anyway, this reminded me of this thread

This would surprisingly be correct with Slovenia instead of Bosnia.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm sad to be wrong. We do need to rescue OP. Ok, who looks sexiest in this metal gear solid latex unitard with the straps everywhere? I'll be the behind the scenes hacker since I'm nearly done with the wiki.

But seriously op, I'm wishing you the best. gently caress cops and gently caress that lady calling for disturbances and gently caress that guy who punched you. May you escape from that place to wreck your liver with more flea market drugs asap.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I have a friend who just moved to Bosnia!

No, I'm not sending her to Croatia to rescue our beloved hot mess.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

That is pretty brutal.

How are you doing, though? I feel like two days isn't enough time to fully withdraw from all the stuff you were on.

Also, if you do start taking pills again, please, please start slow. Way too many people try to pick up where they left off and OD because they've lost their tolerance.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That is pretty brutal.

How are you doing, though? I feel like two days isn't enough time to fully withdraw from all the stuff you were on.

Also, if you do start taking pills again, please, please start slow. Way too many people try to pick up where they left off and OD because they've lost their tolerance.

He's been on and off several times so I think he knows how to safely restart the habit. I am going to strongly recommend against it though. It's been proven several times that he's not capable of controlling the addiction. His most recent attempt at a normal life seemed pretty good.

We are all rooting for you ASF! How about another army story?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
This thread is really, really making me want to visit Croatia. Seems fun and surreal.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The Dregs posted:

This thread is really, really making me want to visit Croatia. Seems fun and surreal.

I'm thinking of visiting next year. Not just because of this thread, but it's a plus.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think Carrie Fisher used it indirectly to treat her drug problems and swore by it. She suffered from a host of mental issues (all probably stemming from or causing her drug addictions) and claimed it was the only thing keeping her stable. She also died of a drug overdose so your mileage may vary.

She was bipolar and it can be used to treat that. The drug problems were caused by self-medicating her illness - which unfortunately is not uncommon.

Recently I had a patient go through a course of ECT. They went from a person in the throes of a manic episode that lasted months (which included assaults on staff and other patients, literal dickwaving, and pooping on the floor) to someone you could have brief pleasant conversations with.

ASF I think you meant they had you in four point restraints. Hogtied is with your hands and feet behind your back. OTOH, it's probably not an unlikely scenario after some of the stuff you just mentioned.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Fat Albert in a can posted:

ASF I think you meant they had you in four point restraints. Hogtied is with your hands and feet behind your back. OTOH, it's probably not an unlikely scenario after some of the stuff you just mentioned.

Bondage aficionado spotted.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

I think she's a nurse, and nurses have to deal with crazy crazy crazy all the time.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

username post combo

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

I really doubt you're going to experience Croatia as a tourist as ASF does as a resident, but I do agree you'll probably have fun anyway.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
This hospital stay has so far been a... fattening experience. I somehow managed to put on 25 pounds from doing jack poo poo and eating well. And dear lord, the boredom.

I bought a new radio last sunday, and by 'new' I mean it's from 1976 but it is in a surprisingly good shape and it works, too. I'll have to replace a few electrolytic capacitors that have dried up, causing a feeble bass response, but that's a quickie. Don't tell my doc that my weekend release was spent by getting high as poo poo on meds, and then on Sunday I got myself sorted out, went out late at night, took the bus to the neighboring town to pick up the drat radio. God bless the satellite navigation, the guy lives in a quiet back street and it was like 11pm when I got there. And the guy was fascinated when I managed to cram a wooden Iskra savica in my army duffel bag I stole back in '02, would have lost him a bet he said.

I'm playing the waiting game. This Thursday I'm either getting released for good, or it's another weekend leave. Today in group therapy I made everyone laugh by introducing myself as a 'manhole cover thief', not sure how that's gonna reflect on the lenght of my hospital stay :haw:

Once again, lord, the boredom. And what I can only call 'kennel cough.' :ughh:

Wiki up 'nozinan' and 'prazine', that's the poo poo they be shooting me up with.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Wiki up 'nozinan' and 'prazine', that's the poo poo they be shooting me up with.

promazine and levomepromazine, i’m guessing your state warranted it but that’s fairly heavy duty stuff I think?

wiki posted:

Promazine is not approved for human use in the United States. It is available in the US for veterinary use under the names Promazine and Tranquazine.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Don't tell my doc that my weekend release was spent by getting high as poo poo on meds,

So much for that new leaf!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Oh, good, animal tranquilizers. Brilliant. :ohdear:

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

AlbieQuirky posted:

Oh, good, animal tranquilizers. Brilliant. :ohdear:

I guess if he's normally taking enough drugs to paralyze a horse it kind of makes sense.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fatbeard have you considered....not ingesting large quantities of pharmaceuticals at the first possible opportunity? Seems like getting forcibly committed would be as good a time as any to stop.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

That Dang Lizard posted:

I guess if he's normally taking enough drugs to paralyze a horse it kind of makes sense.

I mean, they apparently still give them to people in the UK. And AFAICT they're approved for use in humans in the US, but the drug companies just don't sell them for that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Bardeh posted:

Fatbeard have you considered....not ingesting large quantities of pharmaceuticals at the first possible opportunity? Seems like getting forcibly committed would be as good a time as any to stop.

I get the impression that he's high on the stuff that was prescribed to him?

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
thats what a pharmaceutical is my dude

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redreader posted:

Re-reading it can be read either way. He did say that he got high on meds. Which at the very least implies he used multiple days of his meds at once to get high instead of a therapeutic dose. Having read all his posts in this thread I don't think he'd have worded it this way if he took it as intended and it was just too strong. We'll have to wait for ASF to clarify. Stay safe.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when A Sweaty Fatbeard’s threads had a lot of content about old radios, and walking tours of Zagreb, and stories about his whacky tenants? Notice that they now consist almost entirely of stories involving drugs, the taking of drugs, and the results of taking those drugs? If you plotted this on a graph, it would be a steadily downward trend on the “alive and not a trainwreck -> trainwreck and possibly dead” axis. This is not a good thing.

Please consider not murdering yourself with drugs. I, for one, would like more stories about weird old radios and cheapskate aunts. I know the drugs have always been a part of this whole clown show, but it seems like they’re almost the entire thing, now.

Goons, mail this guy some magazines, and liquor, or other cool stuff. I liked that. I would have sent some things, myself, but I don’t have private messages, so I couldn’t get his address.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

I bought a new radio last sunday, and by 'new' I mean it's from 1976 but it is in a surprisingly good shape and it works, too. I'll have to replace a few electrolytic capacitors that have dried up, causing a feeble bass response, but that's a quickie. Don't tell my doc that my weekend release was spent by getting high as poo poo on meds, and then on Sunday I got myself sorted out, went out late at night, took the bus to the neighboring town to pick up the drat radio. God bless the satellite navigation, the guy lives in a quiet back street and it was like 11pm when I got there. And the guy was fascinated when I managed to cram a wooden Iskra savica in my army duffel bag I stole back in '02, would have lost him a bet he said.

That's EI and Iskra so far. Now RIZ (or did you already get one?)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Remember when A Sweaty Fatbeard’s threads had a lot of content about old radios, and walking tours of Zagreb, and stories about his whacky tenants? Notice that they now consist almost entirely of stories involving drugs, the taking of drugs, and the results of taking those drugs? If you plotted this on a graph, it would be a steadily downward trend on the “alive and not a trainwreck -> trainwreck and possibly dead” axis. This is not a good thing.

Actually my recollection is that the normality peeking through and all the other stuff you list was a strange blip in the middle of his never-ending crusade to hoover up every drug possible. Remember way back when with the biperiden and burning chairs?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah if you've been following the saga for awhile, it's far from surprising that this wasn't some kind of magical wake-up call.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I suppose I better throw in that Fatbeard I do wish you would get better and kick the drugs. Also I just realised i've been reading this and your previous threads for about 5 years holy poo poo.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Remember when A Sweaty Fatbeard’s threads had a lot of content about old radios, and walking tours of Zagreb, and stories about his whacky tenants?

Not really. His very first post was about getting high as gently caress, missing his first day of a new job, and accidentally drinking dish soap. You can't have very high expectations from a thread that contains the phrase "foamy poop volcano" in the OP.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

I got the impression that he was released for the weekend, immediately went to score as much of whatever it is he buys from that flea market as possible, and then spent the next 48 hours cramming pills into his mouth, before returning to the rehab center.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I mean it's quite possible the answer is 'both.'

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lol just lol if you thought this was going to be some kind of wakeup call for ASF and not just 'october'

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bobbie Witcham posted:

Not really. His very first post was about getting high as gently caress, missing his first day of a new job, and accidentally drinking dish soap. You can't have very high expectations from a thread that contains the phrase "foamy poop volcano" in the OP.

isnt that the first post of just this thread, tho

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

drug (ab)use has been constant itt, at least it’s not actual junk and assorted opioids now as far as i can tell. I do wish the best for A Friendly Fatbeard but whatever that is, it’s probably not a quiet suburban life on the outskirts of zagreb. Take care of yourself though, Fatbeard, however you can

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Yes, which is my exact point.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

im not sure its better to be abusing medications than recreational drugs tbh

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
woops quoted wrong meant post above

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
3x meant binsby

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

i'm not sure either but at least there's no cancer treatment involved this time around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Bobbie Witcham posted:

Yes, which is my exact point.

His point (I think) is that this is not A Sweaty Fatbeard’s first or only thread, and this one starting with a foaming poop volcano does not prove that everything in his threads has always been foaming poop volcanoes.

We used to get thousands of words from A Sweaty Fatbeard where the only drugs he ingested were things like, “leftover beer found on the roadside,” and non-heroic doses of, like, weed. The major drug episodes were more like spice. Now, they’re the entire thread. No more lengthy discussion of brutalist architecture and leftover bomb shelters.

Like, if you don’t think “is now waking up in state mental hospitals for forced detox” is indicative of a downward trend, I guess we’re working from differing frames of reference.

The junkie episodes were always part of these threads, but they co-existed with other things. Now, they’re like 90% of everything he writes. It’s distressing, because I like his threads, and I don’t like watching people commit slow-motion suicide.