Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, my kids get really nervous when they feel like layoffs are coming. A couple of them I'm sure are interviewing with other families just in case their position is eliminated
They should join a union so they can negotiate for more snacks and a later bedtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Father of two here. Kids are exceptionally stupid and are equally entertained by a Nintendo Switch as they are with a water bottle filled with rice or a pile of pillows. The only costs that actually add up are health care costs (which you should have adequate insurance for) and day care (which can be minimized with some creative scheduling and flexibility).

Anytime my son sees an ad for some expensive toy he might want on YouTube, I just tell them they don't sell those in this country (which is actually the case with Kinder surprise eggs) and I've just kept up the lie.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hello there Mister Sock :jackbud:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sock The Great posted:

Father of two here. Kids are exceptionally stupid and are equally entertained by a Nintendo Switch as they are with a water bottle filled with rice or a pile of pillows. The only costs that actually add up are health care costs (which you should have adequate insurance for) and day care (which can be minimized with some creative scheduling and flexibility).

Anytime my son sees an ad for some expensive toy he might want on YouTube, I just tell them they don't sell those in this country (which is actually the case with Kinder surprise eggs) and I've just kept up the lie.

This thread veers off into 'omg people can't afford to have kids' about every 6 weeks. Kids are one of those things where there's always a cheaper option in lieu of expensive diapers/daycare/clothing/college so people will always spend enough to get by.

My wife's grandma had to go live with another family during the Great Depression and I don't think she ever went back. I know she had a relationship with her birth family to some extent, but it was not a normal one. That doesn't usually happen anymore because even a meager and underfunded social safety net is enough to keep families together absent a raging drug or abuse problem.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hello there Mister Sock :jackbud:

A friend of mine found his kid's homemade fleshlight. It never occurred to me to use a mason jar when I was that age.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
- Bought a 36-year old car as his daily driver.
- Dealer repeatedly tells him that this is "as is"
- Spent $7,500 on it
- After the radiator blew, he kept driving it and *somehow* the engine blew up after 15 miles.
- After all of that, spends another $775 to tow the car back to the dealership.
- Bought a 36-year old car and assumed he could budget $0 for repairs and maintenance for the first year.

quote:

I bought a used car from a BMW Dealership. Broke down not 15 miles after leaving. Dealership refuses to work with me.

As the title says, I bought an 82 Chevy El Camino with 28k miles on it from a BMW dealership for $7,500. I went to dinner with my fiance there in Chicago before leaving from there to drive 3 hours south to our home in Springfield. I was unable to get 15 miles away from the dealership, as the radiator blew and the engine overheated and ruined it.

I spent $775 getting that car back to the dealership due to towing fees, paying a mechanic to look at it, etc. The car was dropped back off the next morning. I called the next day (Sunday) and talked with the salesman who had to wait till Monday to talk with the Used car Manager.

He said the car was sold as is and its my problem but just for the inconvenience he will tow to to springfield for me, which he did and then dropped it at my mechanic who quoted $4500 to rebuild just the engine. My problem is the car was advertised as working and "runs great" which it did not and now I'm out a car and owe the bank $7500.

The bank cant give me any more money for the repair. The mechanic offered the Goodyear credit card with a 30% apr which Im not even wanting to consider.

I called the Attorney General and filed a complaint and Ive repeatedly tried to get the dealership to make the situation right. My next step is go to corporate.

I'm not sure what else to do and my brain is unable to come up with anymore ideas to try and pay for repairs. Any advice?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9nnxqs/i_bought_a_used_car_from_a_bmw_dealership_broke/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 18, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Your income nearly doubled in one year and you are about to burn out of your 80-hour per week job already.

You want to budget a $1 million mortgage based on your current income (that will likely decrease by 40% soon)

How does someone working 80-hour weeks every week, has a spouse working 60-80 hours per week, and has an infant child find time to spend $3,500 on entertainment?

And how does he have time to use his $500 PER MONTH gym membership.

quote:

Affording a $1.0M+ home?

My Wife and I are in looking to upgrade to a larger home in the next few months. We live in Chicago, currently own our condo and have been looking for a number of months. The math tells me this is doable, but having grown up relatively poor, i'm having a tough time stomaching the risk. Am I being ridiculously conservative, or appropriately cautious.

So for finances we make around $560,000 a year before taxes. We're in very aggressive (60-80 hour per week) jobs that i'm not sure we can hang on to for much longer. I'm in Consulting, she in law. Our income in 2015 was $300,000 - so the growth has been breakneck. We take home about 22,000 per month after all taxes, health insurance, and retirement.

Bonuses are lumpy and typically hit at about $70-80,000 for me and 30,000 for her (after tax).

We have $175,000 in student loans

Our expenses look like this:

Future Mortgage: 6850/month

Daycare: 2200/month

Car payment: 450/month

Car insurance : 80/month

Entertainment dining out : 3500

Student Loan Payments: 1,500 /month

Heat: 100/month (average)

Electric: 150/month

Internet: 60/month

Netflix + Hulu: 22/month

Gym: 500/month

Cell phone: 40/month

Kids college account: 500/month

Emergency Savings: 4500/month

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 18, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Accidentally bought $6000 Cher tickets on TicketMaster.

quote:

I think I'm stuck with this charge on my CC, but I'd like a second opinion from you guys. Thanks.

My wife accidentally bought $6K Cher tickets on Ticketmaster. She wanted to buy some nice seat tickets on her personal credit card, and she did, but somehow along the way she put these other tickets (the $6K ones) in her basket and somehow our shared Chase credit card was used to purchase them.

I'm not sure exactly how this happened, maybe the Chase card was saved in the TM preferences and she clicked too quickly. Or something. Point is, that purchase on the Chase card was a 100% accident and she did not mean to do it.

We call Ticketmaster to revert the charge, but we apparently waited too long (it was a weekend) and the Terms of Service stated that they were not contractually obligated to refund the money. Maybe because they were "VIP" tickets due to the price, I think that changes the TOS, compared to regular tickets. Not entirely sure.

We call Chase to dispute the charge, we go over the whole saga and they say no, you are stuck with it. It's considered "Buyers Remorse" and it's a legitimate charge. They say according to Ticketmaster's TOS, nothing was done improperly, and accidentally buying something is not good enough of a reason to dispute a charge.

Both say the only option is to sell them on a 3rd party website, incurring some hefty fees along the way. Meanwhile I have $6K on my Credit Card (That i just paid off!!! grrr) amassing interest until the tickets sell. They're listing for about $1700 each (to take care of the fees associated with resale) and the concert isn't until May 2019 so I'm not sure how long this is gonna take.

Does anyone have any thoughts on ANYTHING I can do? I'm really stuck here, I don't have $6K to pay off freakin' front row CHER tickets that we don't want.

PS: anyone want to buy primo tickets to Cher in NYC next may. lol.

Thanks in advance.
Woof.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Does the husband believe in life after love?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Your income nearly doubled in one year and you are about to burn out of your 80-hour per week job already.

You want to budget a $1 million mortgage based on your current income (that will likely decrease by 40% soon)

How does someone working 80-hour weeks every week, has a spouse working 60-80 hours per week, and has an infant child find time to spend $3,500 on entertainment?

Two Equinox memberships in the Chicago area would probably be a bargain at $500/month.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EugeneJ posted:

I really don't think he's strong enough, no.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He bought them for $6k and they’re listing for resale for $1,700? :thunk:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sock The Great posted:

Two Equinox memberships in the Chicago area would probably be a bargain at $500/month.

It's 100% Equinox memberships with a smallish employer subsidy covering part of it.

I know the type.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I never thought there would be someone hoping Cher kicked the bucket between now and May 2019, but here we are.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vox Nihili posted:

It's 100% Equinox memberships with a smallish employer subsidy covering part of it.

I know the type.

Should I even ask what Equinox does to justify $500 a month?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

I bet he wishes he could turn back time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BigDave posted:

Eucalyptus towels

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-equinox-gym-secret-club

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Lame.

For $500 a month I would expect complimentary cocaine bowls and $150 a session hookers.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I think this is a bit of victim blaming, because there are a lot of circumstances in which people end up having more than 2 kids. Society has this expectation that poor people be 100% abstinent, people never wring their hands about overpopulation when it comes to too many middle class white people, etc etc.
Yeah, I judge middle class people who have a bunch of kids way harder. They're so loving hard on the environment. May as well just build a coal power plant in your backyard.

Ashcans posted:

The problem with kids is that sometimes you seem like you're doing just fine and then two years later something goes horribly wrong, and you can't just return the kid or default on kid payments, you gotta try and eke it out however you can. Having a kid is basically betting that you'll be ok financially for 20 years (if you count pregnancy and assume you don't bounce them the moment they turn 18) which is really a hard call for anyone to make unless they're already wealthy or can rely on a some robust family support. If people made real risk assessments probably 75% of us would be shakers and solve the issue within a generation, but it turns out we're really bad at that so you just have to plan socially for the fact that people are going to have kids and may struggle financially at some point. Or don't and let them suffer. :shrug:
Yeah, I am an emotionless robot, and the idea of having to care for a child makes me want to suck a bullet out of a pistol, so I recognize that most people don't hold the same opinions. I definitely judge pretty much anyone having more than two kids, though, regardless of their economic position.

The fact that I'm an only child and enormously happy about that probably doesn't help things, either.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I've worked with a number of people that do third shift so they can take care of the kids while Mom works. Daycare is great for sucking up a full paycheck of one parent.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BigDave posted:

Lame.

For $500 a month I would expect complimentary cocaine bowls and $150 a session hookers.

i feel like there's not enough bwm hooker stories. maybe in germany or netherlands?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i feel like there's not enough bwm hooker stories. maybe in germany or netherlands?
I would imagine most of them don't funnel to r/pf or we'd have definitely seen them. I wonder what subreddits can be trawled for this untapped vein?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Hoodwinker posted:

I would imagine most of them don't funnel to r/pf or we'd have definitely seen them. I wonder what subreddits can be trawled for this untapped vein?

r/relationships for sure, divorce is terrible with money

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

bob dobbs is dead posted:

check in Goons in Platoons or other military forums, I think there's a stereotype about it

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

r/relationships for sure, divorce is terrible with money
For sure, but I want to hear first-hand accounts on how you got screwed by the prostitute (the hilarious way, not the depressing way).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

These are just amazing.

My Wife and I are in looking to upgrade to a larger home in the next few months. We live in Chicago, currently own our condo and have been looking for a number of months. The math tells me this is doable, but having grown up relatively poor, i'm having a tough time stomaching the risk. Am I being ridiculously conservative, or appropriately cautious.

So for finances we make around $560,000 a year before taxes gorgeous, love it, live your life. We're in very aggressive (60-80 hour per week) jobs that i'm not sure we can hang on to for much longer I feel no sympathy. I'm in Consulting, she in law. Our income in 2015 was $300,000 - so the growth has been breakneck. We take home about 22,000 per month after all taxes, health insurance, and retirement.

Bonuses are lumpy and typically hit at about $70-80,000 for me and 30,000 for her (after tax). delicious.

We have $175,000 in student loans so far so good.

Our expenses look like this:

Future Mortgage: 6850/month hachi machi what a mortgage!

Daycare: 2200/month pretty expensive but what can you do?

Car payment: 450/month eminently reasonable!!

Car insurance : 80/month

Entertainment dining out : 3500 SURELY YOU JEST - IS IT EATING OUT EVERY SINGLE NIGHT? FOR $100 A NIGHT? HOW CAN YOU SPEND THIS MUCH

Student Loan Payments: 1,500 /month

Heat: 100/month (average)

Electric: 150/month

Internet: 60/month

Netflix + Hulu: 22/month

Gym: 500/month

Cell phone: 40/month

Kids college account: 500/month

Emergency Savings: 4500/month

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

A minor detail that Leon's reposting of my earlier post is missing is that the original poster does state they have $290k in cash savings.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's well established that Mr Leon "No link to the reddit thread" Trotsky jazzes the stories up a bit, but they're all probably fake anyway so what's the harm!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

http://www.eastbankclub.com/club-info/become-a-member/membership-dues/ gets you to $330 a month. Throw some soul cycle or something on top of that. There you go.

Also, their take home is less than 50% of income. That doesn't seem right. Maybe they are excluding bonuses from the monthly income calculation.

e: equinox is lame compared to EBC.

e2: Also (as you point), that monthly mortgage sum is not a million dollar house, that is a million dollar mortage. Or better yet, a million dollar house with almost nothing down.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 18, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
$50 dollar membership, two training sessions at $75 each, you’re looking at $200 a person right there.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

BigDave posted:

Keeps the poors out.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
At what income level would you guys not make fun of a $500/month gym membership?

Asking for a friend.

Mine's $60, thanks.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

At what income level would you guys not make fun of a $500/month gym membership?

Asking for a friend.

Mine's $60, thanks.
For a couple? If it's total gym expenditures (classes/personal training/memberships), maybe $250k, assuming they actually use it.

e: Mine's $40 for peloton, plus about $80 for a Y family membership. Though I think we are starting a lifetime membership for another $250 or so a month.
Maybe. Ask my wife

gvibes fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 19, 2018

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Asking for a friend.

Mine's $60, thanks.

I think the better question is what amenities would make a $500/month gym membership worth it?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Dustoph posted:

I think the better question is what amenities would make a $500/month gym membership worth it?

If they let me live there.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

BigDave posted:

I think it's like $150/mo a person. I had a free Equinox membership through work for a while, and I couldn't imagine paying that out of pocket (and I had paid more than that for a gym membership before).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Private training or small group classes will put you at the $300 to $800 a month range, easy. Picture one of those crossfit-looking gyms that has astroturf and kettlebells and you're imagining a $500/month gym for someone taking 3 classes and one personal training session a week.

If it's a prestigious "fitness club" with spa/resort-style amenities you're paying a grand a month with a $10k+ initiation fee after waiting 10 years for your lottery to be drawn.

People pay $80 to $150/hour for a Strongfirst certified trainer to watch them work out.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
There was a whole discussion about this where apparently some of these higher end gyms had daycare included for as long as you were in the gym?

Still, jfc

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

There was a whole discussion about this where apparently some of these higher end gyms had daycare included for as long as you were in the gym?

Still, jfc

My gym is like $1350 a YEAR for both of us and includes a bunch of free classes and 1.5 to 2 hours of child care per visit while we work out. Honestly, if you have young kids it is like a mini date to go hang out on some elliptical machines together and then get to take a shower without kids coming in to poop. Or scream at you about what their sibling did that isn't fair.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Asking for a friend.

Mine's $60, thanks.

There is no income level where it will stop being funny, just like $250 designer t-shirts will always be funny. At some point you're just spending for the sake of spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Fleecing rich people is GWM. If you go rich enough, overpricing your product/service is just another attractor to customers since it lets them feel even smugger about themselves.