Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Not sure, but it probably will be soon if not. Apparently Ford is shifting almost entirely to trucks and SUVs? Kind of surprising since I see Focus and Fiesta STs all the time so I assumed they were pretty popular. Maybe it just skews that way here in socal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Focus ST, RS and fiesta ST

They only make SUVs, trucks and the mustang now.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Are all the car companies getting rid of the little cars?
They don't sell Mazda 2s in Canada any more.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Dumbass Americans will suddenly want small cars again when gas prices go up, but then when they dip they'll go buy more F150s.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dogeh posted:

Mazda doesn't seem to want to sell it in NA, but it gets rebadged as a Toyota instead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mazda doesn't seem to want to sell it in NA, but it gets rebadged as a Toyota instead.

But only as a sedan which makes no sense on such a small car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dogeh posted:

Dumb. I have all but abandoned my search for a not poo poo beater and have my eyes on a few 2's at various lots around town. They can be had for stupid cheap around here.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Get it with a manual if you can. Add about $100 in reinforcement parts from DDMworks and a short shift bushing. You won't regret it in the twisties.

Edit: I am biased because that's what I drive and it's hilarious when pegged above 3 grand.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 14, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have two fun manual cars. The next vehicle is for DDing to work and soaking up my commute. It's going to be an auto with a remote starter installed shortly after purchase so it can be warm when I exit work every day.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Thing is that auto in the 2 is not good until the Skyactiv model - it was an old style four speed that hurts performance and economy.

The manual is a joy though even for commuting with.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Problem on a Mazda 6. So I just came back from my korea funfun tour. A friend who looked after my 2005 Mazda 6s told the battery had run bad so it has sat for a couple If months unstarted. Yesterday before I came back they tried another battery and the car ran just fine. Today we got a new battery aaand... it doesnt start up.

On turning the key the main fusebox clicks, But nothing else happens. All the fuses seem Ok and none have popped up. The clicking seems to come from the starter fuse #1 but Im not sure.

Anyone got any ideas?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Check the battery terminals for corrosion.

My wife used to drive an '05 6 and we had some really batty electrical behavior one winter (pretty much everything in the cabin turning on and off at random) and the negative terminal ended up being so heavily corroded that it was interfering with the grounds.

Just removing and replacing the battery won't be enough, you need a wire brush terminal cleaner (Harbor Freight sells one for $3 at the checkouts) followed by a liberal application of dielectric grease.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

My terminals have some gunk on them but it isnt that bad- and all the electrics still work but it just wont start.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The amount of energy needed to start your car is far larger than what will run the radio.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Clean the terminals. That car is absurdly sensative to corrosion.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Thanks for the advice I’ll do that as soon as I can get a ride to get a wire brush- if this works I’ll be super happy camper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As stated above, a good terminal scouring is probably needed. I do it monthly.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Brushed off the terminals, and the car started. Holy crap. Thanks guys!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Next-gen 3 debuts next month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvr5quwTcog

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Yeah - I just bought a 3S GT...
:negative:

If I'd waited...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dogeh posted:

If I'd waited...

Eh, I usually like every other generation when it comes to Mazda styling.
Not a big fan of the 2nd gen Mazda 3, the 2nd gen Protegé...if the trend continues I'll be back to liking the styling on the 5th gen 3. ;-)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mid cycle refresh or a full update? I didn't think the last gen was that old.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Suburban Dad posted:

Mid cycle refresh or a full update? I didn't think the last gen was that old.

1st Gen 2003-2009
2nd Gen 2009-2013
Current gen 2013-2018

So it is looking like that concept car idea Mazda were throwing around earlier this year.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Huh. Didn't realize it had been that long.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dogeh posted:

If I'd waited...

Eh, you don't really want the first year of a new model anyway. Always seems to be some quirks that they don't solve until year 2 of that model.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What were the issues with the current 3 early on?

The only one I can think of is the infotainment screen delaminations in the heat but I think it took them until the facelift to fix that problem anyway (so way more than a year)

That said I guess if we get new engines there is more to go wrong this time around.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

The only one I can think of is the infotainment screen delaminations in the heat but I think it took them until the facelift to fix that problem anyway (so way more than a year)

That said I guess if we get new engines there is more to go wrong this time around.

We should be getting the compression ignition engines, which is a pretty big change.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

dissss posted:

These articles are a bit over a year old but talk about SkyactivX (the new HCCI* motor that the 3's will get for the next generation) and non-engine related changes:

https://jalopnik.com/i-drove-mazda-s-holy-grail-of-gasoline-engines-and-it-w-1800874806
https://jalopnik.com/mazda-s-holy-grail-of-gasoline-engines-is-completely-1801820285

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
The Carplay/Android Auto hardware is now available. Part number 0000-8F-Z34. Software update takes about 40 minutes. Hardware install took about an hour on my Miata and is not difficult at all.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS on their 3? I put off tires earlier but I can't really anymore. Firestone stores are running a sale starting Nov 15 that's dropping that tire down to $129 a pop (for 215/45R18) and cutting install/balance costs. I was quoted $616 for four out the door before tax. Seems like a stupid good deal that drops the competing Pilot Sport AS3+ and ExtremeContact DWS06 out of the running by price/performance (per reviews), both of those are quoting at just over $900.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

TheGoatTrick posted:

The Carplay/Android Auto hardware is now available. Part number 0000-8F-Z34. Software update takes about 40 minutes. Hardware install took about an hour on my Miata and is not difficult at all.

Did you do it yourself or go to the dealer?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Ok so probably an ignorant question, we’re due for 20s Monday/Tuesday, and my 3 isn’t being driven daily. Worth cranking it and letting it run for a few Monday? I don’t think the coolant would freeze even then but just want to mitigate as much risk as possible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You have antifreeze and not just water in it, right?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Ok so probably an ignorant question, we’re due for 20s Monday/Tuesday, and my 3 isn’t being driven daily. Worth cranking it and letting it run for a few Monday? I don’t think the coolant would freeze even then but just want to mitigate as much risk as possible.

Don't start it unless you're going to drive it and get everything including the oil (which takes a lot longer than the coolant) up to temperature. You'll do more harm than good. If you don't drive it regularly just keep it on a battery tender.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I juiced up the antifreeze last winter, not used to West Texas cold. May have overdone it but wanted to be sure. When I’m out of here for good I may have to pull some out, but seems ok for now.

Unfortunately my car sits at work so I can’t get a tender on it, been starting just fine though (battery 3 or 4 in 7.5 years, but those came with much longer sitting spells mostly).

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The 4th gen 3 reveal is scheduled for the 28th. The current 2.5L SkyactivG forms the new base trims and the new 2.0L SkyactivX becomes the upper trims. Apparently the SkyactivX will be a "mild hybrid" involving some sort of electric generator system. Not really sure what that means other than they couldn't quite work all the kinks out of the SCCI setup before showtime.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I'm still mad I didn't wait for the 2018 3's to get the 2.5 touring instead of the 2017 2.0 touring. Ugh.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

This is what I read the other day, not sure it adds much though: https://jalopnik.com/new-mazda-3-will-debut-in-la-with-holy-grail-skyactiv-x-1830305925

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I sure this new mild hybrid is not as forgettable as i-ELOOP was.