Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Tried ACC in VR. Besides whats already been stated, I think it might shape up to be okay, as long as they let you use a mouse in vr and optimize it. The world scale seemed a tad large to me, plus I didn't see an option to turn off driver arms. Now that the FFB worked for me, it was okay but I haven't played AC in a while to compare it. As with every sim the AI is pure garbage.

I compare tracks to iracing and nurburgring gp seems a tad off though. But that might because of the world scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmmm? World scale as in the decoration, or the whole track? Latter ought to be a little awkward, if true.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I’m actually kind of disappointed in the CSL Elite pedals. They have a huge deadzone before the throttle and brake pick up, and the travel of both the brake and throttle appears to only happen in about 15 distinct increments in any calibration program or game

Far from the 12 bits or whatever of resolution I was expecting

Google results show this is normal and Fanatecs answer is “upgrade to the load cell, the new control box that comes with it allows for full adjustability and resolution”, which is kind of bullshit.

The Thrustmaster T300 pedals that these replace had way less deadzone and way higher resolution.

I’m just pissed at this point. Anyone know how to adjust out that deadzone? Or enable higher resolutions?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, I’m actually kind of disappointed in the CSL Elite pedals. They have a huge deadzone before the throttle and brake pick up, and the travel of both the brake and throttle appears to only happen in about 15 distinct increments in any calibration program or game

Far from the 12 bits or whatever of resolution I was expecting

Google results show this is normal and Fanatecs answer is “upgrade to the load cell, the new control box that comes with it allows for full adjustability and resolution”, which is kind of bullshit.

The Thrustmaster T300 pedals that these replace had way less deadzone and way higher resolution.

I’m just pissed at this point. Anyone know how to adjust out that deadzone? Or enable higher resolutions?

IIRC, they call it the CSP.

Just kidding, your report troubles me a bit, to be honest. I had quite a lot of support interaction with Fanatec in regard to CSP products, and it was always top-notch. That response (12 step resolution for the elite series) actually makes me go :eek: Are the in some kind of trouble?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmm? World scale as in the decoration, or the whole track? Latter ought to be a little awkward, if true.

Driver hands seem large. Everything seems off by seeming big. But I've never sat in a lambo. AC and ACC's nurburgring gp seems odd to me. Again I am basing this off of iracing's version.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 15, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Driver hands seem large. Everything seems off by seeming big. But I've never sat in a lambo. AC and ACC's nurburgring gp seems odd to me. Again I am basing this off of iracing's version.

Depending on what Lambo you sit in, it not only makes you feel rather big, but it also makes you question nature by not giving you another needed joint in your leg to comfortably reach the pedals (Diablo and especially Countach)

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 15, 2018

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

So I guess that pretty much confirms it's using the same engine as dirt 4 and F1. That's going to be a no from me. It's not a sim if it doesn't have VR support.

Dirt rally/Dirt 4 uses Ego 1.5 something or other
F1 Uses Ego 3.

(And F1 Race stars used Ego 2, which died a mobile death...)

They may have the same name, but they sure as hell aint the same engine.

(Edit 1: Plus proc gen stages are a Dirt 4 thing, DR likes handcrafted stages.)

(Edit 2: Not gonna saying anything about VR for DR2, because I don't want my fingers getting broken...)

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 18, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

Dirt rally/Dirt 4 uses Ego 1.5 something or other
F1 Uses Ego 3.

(And F1 Race stars used Ego 2, which died a mobile death...)

They may have the same name, but they sure as hell aint the same engine.

(Edit 1: Plus proc gen stages are a Dirt 4 thing, DR likes handcrafted stages.)

(Edit 2: Not gonna saying anything about VR for DR2, because I don't want my fingers getting broken...)

Blink once for no VR, and don't reply for VR

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tuo posted:

Blink once for no VR, and don't reply for VR

*blinks twice* :smugdog:

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 18, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Finally got around to getting a wheel stand pro. Pretty cool.

Gave Dirt Rally a whirl with a wheel for the first time... :stonklol:

That's gonna take some practice!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

a mysterious cloak posted:

Finally got around to getting a wheel stand pro. Pretty cool.

Gave Dirt Rally a whirl with a wheel for the first time... :stonklol:

That's gonna take some practice!

Try the Lancia Stratos :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

Try the Lancia Stratos :D

unironically the most fun you can have in dirt rally

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Codezombie posted:

DOUBLE no vr? Shameful

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

unironically the most fun you can have in dirt rally

My favourite car in Dirt Rally for sure.
I can't drive it for toffee, but its fun trying.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I love the Stratos, but I've got some settings tweaking to do before I go bananas. I'd prefer to actually drive it and not just be a passenger.

Adjusted the steering sensitivity and saturation a bit and it already feels much better.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Picked up f1 2017. Currently $15 on steam.

Never really followed f1 before but there is a whole lot of strategy here. They really do run you on a knife edge of fuel usage.

I’ve made a lot of use of the rewind feature but it totally fucks up occasionally and sets my speed to 250km/h right before a corner instead of what I was actually doing, effectively ending my race. Still getting used to the grip limits and reading the ffb. Also the characters teeth really freak me out - this was not an engine designed to render fleshy humans I guess?

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Granite Octopus posted:

Picked up f1 2017. Currently $15 on steam.

Never really followed f1 before but there is a whole lot of strategy here. They really do run you on a knife edge of fuel usage.

I’ve made a lot of use of the rewind feature but it totally fucks up occasionally and sets my speed to 250km/h right before a corner instead of what I was actually doing, effectively ending my race. Still getting used to the grip limits and reading the ffb. Also the characters teeth really freak me out - this was not an engine designed to render fleshy humans I guess?

I can't speak for my fellow comrades over in F1, however just about any modern engine can handle fleshy squishy* humans, its mostly about how much time you plow into developing the shaders. In games where most of the time you are looking at cars, and and the meat sacks are hidden inside them, well that time is often prioritised elsewhere.
(And just why does the marshal in the first Dirt Rally have so many twins, does the WRC have a cloning facility, answers are demanded!)

I did see some (for the time) cool subsurface skin shader tech that was developed for the Flashpoint games, but that feels like such a long time ago now.

(*ok the cars are squishy too, but that's bonefide Finite Element Modeling at play there)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
F1 2018 is already out, and the drivers look less dead eye. Its not really important to the racing though so makes sense its kinda low priority.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://jalopnik.com/germany-is-officially-recognizing-sim-racing-as-a-legit-1829885167

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Sim Racing System has a BMW M253i series running the next six weeks and I highly recommend it. For some reason I'd never gotten around to driving the car in AC - and it is amazing. Very easy to drive on the limit, you can really throw it into corners, get it a bit sideways and still recover. It's a very busy series (probably because the car is so forgiving) with the most recent race spreading out over four full servers. There are six races per day, so it should be easy to find one that suits your schedule.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well I broke down and ordered the Fanatec LC pedal for my CSL set. I cant stand the low resolution of the two current pedals, and despite feeling better to use, they're a downgrade from my T300RS pedals in every other way :mad:

Hopefully the higher resolution LC controller that comes with the pedal fixes this

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well I broke down and ordered the Fanatec LC pedal for my CSL set. I cant stand the low resolution of the two current pedals, and despite feeling better to use, they're a downgrade from my T300RS pedals in every other way :mad:

Hopefully the higher resolution LC controller that comes with the pedal fixes this

Did you have a loadcell before?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

Oh, nice, VR officially confirmed twice!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tuo posted:

Did you have a loadcell before?

No, my t300 pedals broke, I ordered the CSL pedals without the LC, and was dismayed by their low resolution. Google says other people have that problem and the answer they get from Fanatec is “buy the LC kit, the controller is better”, which is what I just did.

Also, if I can vent, Fanatecs shipping suuuuuuucks. It’s slow and expensive, exactly what you don’t want shipping to be. But my LC kit is on the way, so that’s good

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No, my t300 pedals broke, I ordered the CSL pedals without the LC, and was dismayed by their low resolution. Google says other people have that problem and the answer they get from Fanatec is “buy the LC kit, the controller is better”, which is what I just did.

Also, if I can vent, Fanatecs shipping suuuuuuucks. It’s slow and expensive, exactly what you don’t want shipping to be. But my LC kit is on the way, so that’s good

Then prepare to be impressed (by the difference a loadcell makes). It took me a couple of hours to adapt to it, but it's hard to go back. I recently thought it was a good idea to setup my old Thrustmaster wheel and pedals in my living room to do some console racing, and the missing loadcell on the brake was quite hard to adapt back to.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW: The german DMSB yesterday acknowledged professional simracing as a motorsport discipline.

Kinda cool, I guess.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Argh, RaceRoom bringing in more classic DTM cars makes my wallet hurt.

Also, I fully agree on the BMW M2. It's an awesome car in sims, and it's quite as awesome in real life. I'll never understand the pricing on that car, and I guess neither does BMW. They are sold out for months, some say even years over here. And I wont even touch the competition model. I mean, yeah, it's a fuckton of cash, but what you get for it is insane. It's similar to completely wrong pricing of the first Audi R8, or for example the BMW i8 (allthough not for pure performance on the later one, but the overall package).

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 25, 2018

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I thought about the M235i a lot, but I can't justify it to myself. I really want to though and come spring I'll probably try harder.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I thought about buying one, but decided against as i don‘t have the money to piss away at the Moment. Happy with what i have, but drat the M2 is tempting...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tuo posted:

Then prepare to be impressed (by the difference a loadcell makes). It took me a couple of hours to adapt to it, but it's hard to go back. I recently thought it was a good idea to setup my old Thrustmaster wheel and pedals in my living room to do some console racing, and the missing loadcell on the brake was quite hard to adapt back to.

Yeah I like the Fanatec pedals in general, they are a huge build quality upgrade over the plastic two pedal Thrustmasters, obviously, but where the thrustmaster pedals had hundreds or thousands of individual pedal positions they could register with my PC and iracing, the fanatec pedals have seriously maybe 20. A huge resolution dip from the cheapo thrustmasters.

I hope google is right and I’ll get way better resolution with the LC pedal and controller box, because, drat, it’s bad now

The funny part is GIMX registers even fewer steps, so GT Sport is either no brake or ALL THE BRAKE and nothing in between, so is unplayable right now.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I like the Fanatec pedals in general, they are a huge build quality upgrade over the plastic two pedal Thrustmasters, obviously, but where the thrustmaster pedals had hundreds or thousands of individual pedal positions they could register with my PC and iracing, the fanatec pedals have seriously maybe 20. A huge resolution dip from the cheapo thrustmasters.

I hope google is right and I’ll get way better resolution with the LC pedal and controller box, because, drat, it’s bad now

The funny part is GIMX registers even fewer steps, so GT Sport is either no brake or ALL THE BRAKE and nothing in between, so is unplayable right now.

Could be worse ;) I took a break from simracing due to work, like half a year or so, and went back to it. I was terrible. Even more terrible than realizing the WEC cars need you to actively push the ERS button (because I raced auto-deploy cars for weeks). Like, every corner, I flat-spotted my tyres.

I chalked all of this up to me beeing a) super poor in racing and b) beeing away from it for a long time. I raced with this for couple of weeks, adjusting setups etc., until I realized that a firmware update on my wheelbase basically made my brake pedal to have something like 10 or 20 input resolution, and only looking at it funny would mean "100% brake applied". I could only race for couple of minutes per day during that time, so I never had the time to actually check the hardware/software.

Mind you, finding out the problem and resolving it brought so much joy to my simracing live, and since then, I have a very, very sensitive foot on the brake :)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
....so Kartkraft is back and will be going into Early Access on 11/1. How about that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm excited for them to release a bunch of extremely good looking screenshots and not much else.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
30fps max with a 1080Ti, idiotic ai, tire models that make Need For Speed look cutting-edge, but boy does it produce great screenshots!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I got my Fanatec Load Cell pedal installed last night and, as predicted its real good.

Still a little dismayed that they purposely gimp the non-LC edition with such poor resolution, that seems real shady to me. The throttle and clutch now have a proper 4,096 steps of resolution and the brake has 65,535 steps, as expected.

Also its funny that the LC pedal isnt technically a load cell, but a strain gauge :science:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, I got my Fanatec Load Cell pedal installed last night and, as predicted its real good.

Still a little dismayed that they purposely gimp the non-LC edition with such poor resolution, that seems real shady to me. The throttle and clutch now have a proper 4,096 steps of resolution and the brake has 65,535 steps, as expected.

Also its funny that the LC pedal isnt technically a load cell, but a strain gauge :science:

I never had the chance to test the elite pedals, but they advertise it with 12 bit, which should offer a much better resolution. If it actually is so drat low, it's false advertising, imo.

BTW: a load cell is always a strain gauge. Are you sure there isn't a cell that deforms, which the strain gauge measures? I never opened up my load cell on the pedals, but had to deal with a fuckload of load cells in a project of mine (digital beehive scales)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it measures the deformation of the entire brake pedal, but I’m not taking mine apart to find out

And yeah I’m definitely not the only one who got super low resolutions without the LC pedal and box, there are multiple threads on it and even responses from Fanatec saying the LC box enables higher resolutions. Also the LC box mysteriously took away the huge deadzones in the pedals

:thunk:

I’m not gonna go starting a class action lawsuit over it but it seems shady as hell to me

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Hi racing goons, I just picked up a pair of transducers for my couch and they have been awesome so far. Now I'm looking into the different software options. Is simvibe that much better than the alternatives? I tried a demo of SRS last night and thought it was quite good. I'm a sim racing noob and it's less than half the price of simvibe, so that is kinda tempting.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think it measures the deformation of the entire brake pedal, but I’m not taking mine apart to find out

And yeah I’m definitely not the only one who got super low resolutions without the LC pedal and box, there are multiple threads on it and even responses from Fanatec saying the LC box enables higher resolutions. Also the LC box mysteriously took away the huge deadzones in the pedals

:thunk:

I’m not gonna go starting a class action lawsuit over it but it seems shady as hell to me

typically, the cheap load cells which are rated for something like 150kg in here (I can only assume that's what some untrained simracers can push on the paddle easily) are a "simple", deforming load cell which you can get for couple of bucks (sometimes < 1 buck) from china. I can only assume it's the very same that is in most modern, affordable weight scales (one on each corner). They are frightlingly accurate. We made some tests when we developed our beehive scale with different qualities (= cost) of chinese load cells, knowing we would need one that goes to something like 150kg. That fucker actually (reliably) picked up wind blowing into the wood-plate we placed on it, and even picked up the wood-plate sucking in water during rain and thus getting heavier. They are a bitch to calibrate, but even the 150kg ones, which are rated for like 50g in resolution, basically reacted to stuff like 20g.

tl;dr: load cells and strain gauges nowadays are loving unbelievable. Even if the cheap ones might be unreliable on the <20g scale, they react so drat fast and acutrate to everything above, I was actually blown away. I mainly have to do with temperature, humidity (ugh...) and stuff like air polution, and seeing those cheap-rear end load cells work made my brain hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tuo posted:

typically, the cheap load cells which are rated for something like 150kg in here (I can only assume that's what some untrained simracers can push on the paddle easily) are a "simple", deforming load cell which you can get for couple of bucks (sometimes < 1 buck) from china. I can only assume it's the very same that is in most modern, affordable weight scales (one on each corner). They are frightlingly accurate. We made some tests when we developed our beehive scale with different qualities (= cost) of chinese load cells, knowing we would need one that goes to something like 150kg. That fucker actually (reliably) picked up wind blowing into the wood-plate we placed on it, and even picked up the wood-plate sucking in water during rain and thus getting heavier. They are a bitch to calibrate, but even the 150kg ones, which are rated for like 50g in resolution, basically reacted to stuff like 20g.

tl;dr: load cells and strain gauges nowadays are loving unbelievable. Even if the cheap ones might be unreliable on the <20g scale, they react so drat fast and acutrate to everything above, I was actually blown away. I mainly have to do with temperature, humidity (ugh...) and stuff like air polution, and seeing those cheap-rear end load cells work made my brain hurt.

I use an old battered 360 controller... :smuggo: