Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

That slow spill thread hurts my brain.

Thanks for the clarification, I remember seeing "Before you go reading the poems, look at the pictures. Then, taking all of the numbers in the poems, you can then put them into different combinations and join them with a picture" and assuming that just meant you can match each verse with a picture.

It's possible it was weirdly translated, though I think Burnstyle's translator did an exceptionally good job. I'm planning on asking the person in Japan who found the book to take another look and send me her best possible translation of that portion. Her translations so far have been on track with Burnstyle's translator, but slightly different, so maybe we'll see something new in terms of that specific hint.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
Mine came from a guy who has lived in japan for 15 years I think.
He teaches English.
I'd love to hear what the person who found the book thinks. She has the benefit of having the entire book in front of her... there may be nuances my translator couldn't see

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So, I think this is probably the best place to talk about it, as anywhere else tends to get a buncha... weirdness

We now know that the solution to Chicago was to triangulat "fence and fixture" draw a line out from both of them that intersects at right angles, and there you dig.

Might there be another solve that we've made which turned up nothing because we didn't triangulate? Somewhere we have 2-3 known landmarks/image matches?

I know South Carolina has those two statues with outstretched arms... but they triangulate to a path not grass. Was it always that way at white point garden? What are some other places where we havev 2-3 landmarks close together... trying to remember without going to the wiki

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
Is it ok if I follow along with everyone in this thread?
I promise that I won’t beat my chest or claim that I’ve solved any of the puzzles.
Also, I agree with the accepted image/verse pairings, so I won’t be making any new posts about new locations.
I have no “solves” that are neatly packaged into a pdf and heavily plagiarized from the wiki site.
I think that when describing an image match, the word(s) represents or representation of are a clear sign that you don’t have a clue about what you are talking about.

I’m just a normal dude caught up in this stupid treasure hunt. Always willing to dig holes and test theories for people who can’t travel to the Boston area.

I hope you all accept me. My normal hangout has lost its path.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

3M TA3 posted:

Is it ok if I follow along with everyone in this thread?
I promise that I won’t beat my chest or claim that I’ve solved any of the puzzles.
Also, I agree with the accepted image/verse pairings, so I won’t be making any new posts about new locations.
I have no “solves” that are neatly packaged into a pdf and heavily plagiarized from the wiki site.
I think that when describing an image match, the word(s) represents or representation of are a clear sign that you don’t have a clue about what you are talking about.

I’m just a normal dude caught up in this stupid treasure hunt. Always willing to dig holes and test theories for people who can’t travel to the Boston area.

I hope you all accept me. My normal hangout has lost its path.

Surprised that username wasn’t taken, are you a big Licensed to Ill fan?

today i own a gun
Sep 2, 2018

by SA Support Robot
i dont think yall will ever figure it out

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Snowy posted:

Surprised that username wasn’t taken, are you a big Licensed to Ill fan?

Yes I am. I’m surprised that you made that connection.

Paul Revere is one of my favorites.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

3M TA3 posted:

Always willing to dig holes and test theories for people who can’t travel to the Boston area.

I've heard it's tough to dig holes in Boston this time of year...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

today i own a gun posted:

i dont think yall will ever figure it out

There's nothing for these imbeciles to find.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Jubs posted:

I've heard it's tough to dig holes in Boston this time of year...

All you need is a little ambition. Brains are not a requirement.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

3M TA3 posted:

But strong wrists are!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
"People who use the word 'represent' are wrong" is as succinct as it is true in my opinion

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Jubs posted:

But strong wrists are!

I have a shovel that was designed to go along with my limp wristed digging style.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So have you assholes found anything yet?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is this book the precursor to Qanon? How many treasure hunters ended up babbling incoherently on 4chan about patterns in news articles?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

3M TA3 posted:

You may have missed the frozen ground/injured wrists saga

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Snowy posted:

You may have missed the frozen ground/injured wrists saga

If you are referring to Xie, I am a loyal fan of his exploits in Boston. I’ve never agreed with much of anything he has ever said or done, but a fan none the less.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

steinrokkan posted:

Is this book the precursor to Qanon? How many treasure hunters ended up babbling incoherently on 4chan about patterns in news articles?

They tend to gravitate towards Facebook actually.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

3M TA3 posted:

I have a shovel that was designed to go along with my limp wristed digging style.

What the gently caress's a frush?

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Merlot Brougham posted:

What the gently caress's a frush?

I really like this place. Should have spent the $10 a long time ago.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Image 7, Verse 2 - New Orleans

I will bite.

MrBackstop on Q4T posted:

I'm still curious as to what the members think the "PRES" clue in the wood below the clock face means. You know my reason, what is yours?

My initial reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOuTw2f34W8

Is the "PRES clue in the wood below the clock face" a thing? And no, I must have missed his reason that we all know. Sorry, I'm usually pretty good about keeping up on everything.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 9, 2018

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Merlot Brougham posted:

Image 7, Verse 2 - New Orleans

I will bite.

My initial reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOuTw2f34W8

Is the "PRES clue in the wood below the clock face" a thing? And no, I must have missed his reason that we all know. Sorry, I'm usually pretty good about keeping up on everything.

Backstop is a pretty good guy. I have spoken with him on a few occasions about his Boston “solve”. The one thing that can get old is his “interpretations” of clues. I think he is a victim of his own overactive imagination.
Good guy, but a bit of a dog on a bone mentality when it comes to some outlandish clue readings.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

3M TA3 posted:

Good guy, but a bit of a dog on a bone mentality when it comes to some outlandish clue readings.

If someone planted a fake treasure and later dug it up, that would also be like a dog with a bone.

With, as has been described in various posts here, the public webpages attracting sundry attention-seeking nutters, it's a wonder this hasn't happened yet.

I bet when it does, the culprit will get media attention.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Drunk Nerds posted:

YOU SOLVED THE PUZZLE!

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I keep forgetting about this thread, and then unfortunately remembering it again. All I have to add to it is this: gently caress you, Byron Preiss. You could have told just one other person, put it in your will, written it down somewhere, anything. But you didn't did you? Oh no, have to die being the big man of mystery. You absolute tosser.

Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

:mad:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

nockturne posted:

I keep forgetting about this thread, and then unfortunately remembering it again. All I have to add to it is this: gently caress you, Byron Preiss. You could have told just one other person, put it in your will, written it down somewhere, anything. But you didn't did you? Oh no, have to die being the big man of mystery. You absolute tosser.

Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

:mad:

yeah sure but what about the friends we made along the way?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The last time I read this thread was in 2013

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

You missed a lot, dude, start catching up

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
As an argument for Lafayette Square, when the author was in New Orleans, there were prominent efforts at Preservation of the St. Charles Hotel (referenced in the verse). This hotel was designed by James Gallier (which comes from a french word meaning merry / buffoonish person though he's an Irish guy) The immigration in the chapter refers to France, so it's an Irish guy who changed his name to a French name.

Lafayette Square is bordered by Gallier Hall (the same James Gallier). There are 15 steps leading up to the Gallier Hall, and that's where the mayor watches the Mardi Gras parades pass by. The first lines of theverse may also be a reference to the Mardi Gras floats and how the Kings/Queens of the parade stop and bow to the Mayor.

The cross streets are St. Charles Ave (formerly Nyads st.) and Lafayette. Dryades st (now O'Keefe) is two blocks away.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lote posted:

As an argument for Lafayette Square, when the author was in New Orleans, there were prominent efforts at Preservation of the St. Charles Hotel (referenced in the verse). This hotel was designed by James Gallier (which comes from a french word meaning merry / buffoonish person though he's an Irish guy) The immigration in the chapter refers to France, so it's an Irish guy who changed his name to a French name.

Lafayette Square is bordered by Gallier Hall (the same James Gallier). There are 15 steps leading up to the Gallier Hall, and that's where the mayor watches the Mardi Gras parades pass by. The first lines of theverse may also be a reference to the Mardi Gras floats and how the Kings/Queens of the parade stop and bow to the Mayor.

The cross streets are St. Charles Ave (formerly Nyads st.) and Lafayette. Dryades st (now O'Keefe) is two blocks away.

:lol: no

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The mystery is over it was up ur butt the whole time lol

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

sharknado slashfic posted:

it'll still be a bad idea in another five years

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Nooner posted:

The mystery is over it was up ur butt the whole time lol

are you afraid to dig nooner?

just dig, dig deep...

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
came to post yet again that solve is not a noun because it still doesn't seem to have sunk into any of the idiotic heads of these fool's errand retards

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
as you were, friends

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

came to post yet again that solve is not a noun because it still doesn't seem to have sunk into any of the idiotic heads of these fool's errand retards
well someone made it gauche to use the word "solution" :godwin:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Lote posted:

Yep, except for the Irish-to-French name thing, which is insane, this is part of what I consider to be the solve. At Gallier Hall Burnstyle found an asymmetrical column that matches the base of the clock and was surrounded by 21 fence post holes. Digging in the middle of them, he found a pipe laid in 2001 and a bunch of broken clay. No smoking gun yet (like a key or a recognizable piece), at least not that he's reported. But everything matches so well.

On the other side of Gallier hall is an identical column, patch of grass, and fence post holes, but there's a federal reserve bank across the street with a camera pointed at the grass. Someone claims they dug there anyway, but idk. I'm not sure if the camera was there in 1980.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The camera is part of the Federal Reserve museum and you’re digging on City property. NOPD would respond if you’re digging and good luck getting them there in any amount of time. I don’t know when those patches of grass were put there because it looks like it was solid back in the 30s.

It could also be in Lafayette Park under one of the trees.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
What is up with Q4T lately?

Complete poo poo show...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Lote posted:

The camera is part of the Federal Reserve museum and you’re digging on City property. NOPD would respond if you’re digging and good luck getting them there in any amount of time. I don’t know when those patches of grass were put there because it looks like it was solid back in the 30s.

It could also be in Lafayette Park under one of the trees.

The patches of grass have been there since at least the 50s. But the whole area was renovated, from the streets to the building in... 85 I think. There is a marker in the middle of the street which talks about it.

85 is also the year gallier went from 15 steps to 16.