Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Elswyyr posted:

I bit the bullet and bought the Dark Gods Edition for the first game. What's a good race to start off with? I love Vampire Counts, but if they're getting a big update soon I'd rather delay that, and I think Beastmen look neat as hell, but they're a seperate purchase.

Empire are simple but with plenty of unit variety and a fairly gentle start. Good faction to learn the game and then move onto factions with weirder mechanics and more restricted rosters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Elswyyr posted:

I bit the bullet and bought the Dark Gods Edition for the first game. What's a good race to start off with? I love Vampire Counts, but if they're getting a big update soon I'd rather delay that, and I think Beastmen look neat as hell, but they're a seperate purchase.

The VC rework isn’t for the first game, only for the combined campaign which requires both games. So if you only have Warham 1 then go ahead and rock on with your vampires.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Would be nice if they could backport the ME improvements to the Old World campaign, but we don't want another Norsca.

Vampires are probably the easiest start for WH1. They focus on the new elements of magic, monsters and heroes and have a straightforward campaign.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think it’d make sense only when all of the races have been touched up. Otherwise it just throws balance out the window entirely. The new VC skills look substantially better than the original and they were already very strong on campaign IIRC.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Still hoping that the Empire gets a mechanic that gives the appropriate units buffs when you capture/confederate with the corresponding Elector Count. It's a lore thing that you can see in the landmarks (Nuln Gunnery School, etc.), but it'd help make the other provinces more notable. For example, Hochland is a backwater province that's nearly all wilderness, but is nonetheless valuable because Hochlanders are drat good shooters and ambushers due to their native terrain.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1052922279703846912

Storytime, all about Fat Ghost Lady, and how she became a ghost lady!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Andy Hall was a senior Games Workshop/White Dwarf writer, ergo anything CA comes up with for their games is as good as canon. :colbert:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I hope they overhaul some of the other older factions a bit more as well-

Empire: Take the Legitimacy mod idea and implement it into a racial system that ties into offices. Basically all the Empire provinces affect legitimacy, and the challenge is that Elector Counts will blame Franz if they get their poo poo kicked in even if they weren't willing to ally with you at the time (everybody needs a scapegoat, who better than the Arch-President-Emperor-for-life?). Helping the Elector counts in their middle school drama endears them to you, making it easier to confederate, but keeping them just allied might have other advantages too. Empire should also get the unique ability to return settlements back to the original owner. Mad Count misses pooping off the ramparts of Averheim? Return it to him in exchange for some nice rewards. While Empire wouldn't be able to directly perform rituals per se, they can do an analogue by 'spending' legitimacy to get certain one off bonuses. Finally, the bonuses that Offices give aren't static, they scale with the current legitimacy rating of the Emperor, and some Lords might get extra bonuses on top of this- Balthasar Gelt obviously intended to be in the Supreme Patriarch slot, and Volkmar in the Grand Theogonist slot. But also a random Generals occasionally having a trait that gives them bonuses to the other slots as well.

Dwarves: Since they already got the crafting system, there's not much they would really need to add. It would be cool if you could use Oathgold in diplomatic ways though. You're really far from the New World, and it would be cool if there was a dillema you could get early on to spend a chunk of Oathgold to basically confederate with the Dwarves out there early on.

Greenskins: Green iz Best definitely made some neat changes, and perhaps they could take it a step further by giving Wurzzag the ability to scrap the friendly settlement they are in and convert to a horde stack, with a limited number of horde buildings available. Once you captured a city, you'd revert back to a normal stack. This would give you more mobility, by allowing you to wandering around razing and sacking until you reached settlements that were worth building up and defending.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gejnor posted:

Oh, hi, Stromfels.

So, Manaan and Stromfels: It's not certain if Stromfels is a separate God, an aspect of Manaan the Sea God, or what. What is known is that the cult of Manaan loving hates Stromfels worship and that Stromfels worshipers goddamn love sharks and murder. See, Manaan is a fickle and dangerous God as it is, because the ocean can be fickle and dangerous. Stromfels, on the other hand, is sort of the God of Maritime Disasters and Everyone Getting Eaten By Sharks. Nobody likes him. Everyone who sails on the sea is scared of him. If she's his, that's actually pretty interesting.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

I hope they overhaul some of the other older factions a bit more as well-

Empire: Take the Legitimacy mod idea and implement it into a racial system that ties into offices. Basically all the Empire provinces affect legitimacy, and the challenge is that Elector Counts will blame Franz if they get their poo poo kicked in even if they weren't willing to ally with you at the time (everybody needs a scapegoat, who better than the Arch-President-Emperor-for-life?). Helping the Elector counts in their middle school drama endears them to you, making it easier to confederate, but keeping them just allied might have other advantages too. Empire should also get the unique ability to return settlements back to the original owner. Mad Count misses pooping off the ramparts of Averheim? Return it to him in exchange for some nice rewards. While Empire wouldn't be able to directly perform rituals per se, they can do an analogue by 'spending' legitimacy to get certain one off bonuses. Finally, the bonuses that Offices give aren't static, they scale with the current legitimacy rating of the Emperor, and some Lords might get extra bonuses on top of this- Balthasar Gelt obviously intended to be in the Supreme Patriarch slot, and Volkmar in the Grand Theogonist slot. But also a random Generals occasionally having a trait that gives them bonuses to the other slots as well.

Dwarves: Since they already got the crafting system, there's not much they would really need to add. It would be cool if you could use Oathgold in diplomatic ways though. You're really far from the New World, and it would be cool if there was a dillema you could get early on to spend a chunk of Oathgold to basically confederate with the Dwarves out there early on.

Greenskins: Green iz Best definitely made some neat changes, and perhaps they could take it a step further by giving Wurzzag the ability to scrap the friendly settlement they are in and convert to a horde stack, with a limited number of horde buildings available. Once you captured a city, you'd revert back to a normal stack. This would give you more mobility, by allowing you to wandering around razing and sacking until you reached settlements that were worth building up and defending.

Empire does need an overhaul but also needs some orcs to fight, Skarsnik either dies or just sits in his fortress of solitude. We got chaos/norsca, vamps for sure, Brets, and dwarfs but two of our neighbors are supposed to be our allies and the greenskins are usually eaten by the dwarfs by the time you expand to the Border Princes.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Gejnor posted:

quote:

Ghenz noted how the poop was fashioned more like a theatrical stage

Hmm... ship seems to be more Orcish design than Brettonian.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I always love in warhammer when people say, "it's probably nothing" like YOU'RE IN THE WARHAMMER WORLD EXPECT THE WORSE. I would expect everyone who lived there to be an insane hard bitten fighter never going anywhere without weapons and armor.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Arghy posted:

I always love in warhammer when people say, "it's probably nothing" like YOU'RE IN THE WARHAMMER WORLD EXPECT THE WORSE. I would expect everyone who lived there to be an insane hard bitten fighter never going anywhere without weapons and armor.

Krüber from Vermintide is like 20 years old.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Arghy posted:

But still, rats that walk like people? The very idea is absurd

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Beastmen, ah, yes, they plague the forests. But rats? Please.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jokes posted:

They shouldn't, I don't think. The bloodlines are pretty far removed from the VPs, who are either Luthor's bois (from Ol' Sandy) or crazy and/or mutants themselves. Plus it would be weird to be able to recruit Sylvanian crossbowmen in Lustria.

If I remember their old lore correctly, the vampirates started when a blood dragon lord decided that the men and monsters of the mainland weren’t enough of a challenge and heard there were giant honking lizards to fight in Lustria.

The blood dragons old lore was that their founder cured his need to drink blood by killing an ancient dragon and draining it dry. After that the bloodline made it their mission to find and kill the strongest foes possible to emulate the feat.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 18, 2018

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I remember their old lore correctly, the vampirates started when a blood dragon lord decided that the men and monsters of the mainland weren’t enough of a challenge and heard there were giant honking lizards to fight in Lustria.

harkon is a blood dragon lord, but he ended up in lustria cause norscans robbed a merchant ship that happened to have his coffin in. its unclear whether that ship was going to lustria anyway, but harkon sure does love fighting the big lizards.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

You know one of the things I like the most about Skaven is that they actually aren't terribly antropomorphic, they have somewhat longer limbs, yes, but mostly they're just really big rats that talk.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Randarkman posted:

You know one of the things I like the most about Skaven is that they actually aren't terribly antropomorphic, they have somewhat longer limbs, yes, but mostly they're just really big rats that talk.

This is a general theme with Warhammer beast races

They tend to err on the side of "Man-beasts who combined the worst attributes of both man and beast" rather than "furry wank bait"

Even the lizardmen, who are ostensibly one of the forces of order, are designed first and foremost as lizards who walk and talk like people rather than people who look like lizards

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

I dont know posted:

Every time I've tried to start a VC campaign I end up bouncing off them, their early game armies just feel incredibly boring, and there build up on the map screen, slow.

Get those zombies killed in ridiculous huge battles.

More deaths = better raise dead and then you can escape "basic skeletons and dogs" pretty fast. You get a random assortment of units too, so I end up using stuff I don't normally go for (like the ghost units).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

This is a general theme with Warhammer beast races

They tend to err on the side of "Man-beasts who combined the worst attributes of both man and beast" rather than "furry wank bait"

Even the lizardmen, who are ostensibly one of the forces of order, are designed first and foremost as lizards who walk and talk like people rather than people who look like lizards

I dig what CA did with the lizard models. The saurus, skinks, and kroxigor on TT are all pretty old and doofy looking.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Theswarms posted:

Get those zombies killed in ridiculous huge battles.

More deaths = better raise dead and then you can escape "basic skeletons and dogs" pretty fast. You get a random assortment of units too, so I end up using stuff I don't normally go for (like the ghost units).

I find a common mistake people make playing early vampires is to stick to a single stack for their fighting. You're supposed to have LOTS of throwaway units in every battle, but vanilla VC doesn't give you numerical advantage-- 20 more zombies in a card than a unit of swordsmen isn't the type of numerical advantage you need to rely on. So, multiple stacks. VCs are fabulously wealthy it's not a big deal.

Anno
May 10, 2017

jokes posted:

I find a common mistake people make playing early vampires is to stick to a single stack for their fighting. You're supposed to have LOTS of throwaway units in every battle, but vanilla VC doesn't give you numerical advantage-- 20 more zombies in a card than a unit of swordsmen isn't the type of numerical advantage you need to rely on. So, multiple stacks. VCs are fabulously wealthy it's not a big deal.

I always have a hard time convincing myself not to use that fabulous wealth to turtle up after uniting Sylvania and powering through my buildings. I probably need to just have a few lords around without an army and just raise one starting a few turns before they need to stab stuff.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

jokes posted:

I have to put my hand up as someone who never played far in the vampire campaign. Their start was too easy and quite boring. I also think my impression is made worse because I think the first LL I played was Ghorst when that Grim and the Grave DLC was released. He really is the ghorst. The other LL were better but still too easy. The updates coming sound fun.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Anno posted:

I always have a hard time convincing myself not to use that fabulous wealth to turtle up after uniting Sylvania and powering through my buildings. I probably need to just have a few lords around without an army and just raise one starting a few turns before they need to stab stuff.
There's two paths to recruiting tier 5 stuff as VC/VC:
Option 1: build super tall stacking growth buildings, agent skills and all your money for dozens of turns to get Sylvania to the highest level of buildings.
Option 2: suicide 2 stacks of zombies into Ungrim before taking him out with a real army.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A Perfect Twist posted:

I have to put my hand up as someone who never played far in the vampire campaign. Their start was too easy and quite boring. I also think my impression is made worse because I think the first LL I played was Ghorst when that Grim and the Grave DLC was released. He really is the ghorst. The other LL were better but still too easy. The updates coming sound fun.
Yeah it's arduous following through all the way through a VC playthrough. Vampires aren't exactly a big draw so it's weird how they've done basically nothing for Empire since release but every update is a new vampire lord, mechanic, etc.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What I hope they do with the Empire is they really play up the strength of the individual provinces.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Flavahbeast posted:

toasterwarrior posted:

Beastmen, ah, yes, they plague the forests. But rats? Please.

We have Alex Jones, Warhams got nothing on us.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9p4arh/?utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=9e77991cd3fe496ca73f876ca0548b87&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=9p4arh posted:

I see a lot of posts talking about the updates to the Vampire Counts like the Bloodlines, which are awesome, but there was another stream that had some great info about the Vampire Coast! Everyone should check it out on the Total War Twitch channel, but here are some highlights of what they talked about :

-Luthor Harkon's multiple personalities will change every few turns on the campaign giving different effects like stat changes and sometimes even giving him temporary use of a spell. He'll be a very dynamic LL. In addition, he'll have a sort of additional objective in the campaign to collect the lizard trinkets and put his mind back together, suggesting that he will actually get an end-game objective where you might not get the random personality bonuses anymore and instead just get a set of permanent buffs.

-We got some more lore about Cylostra Direfin: during her time on the Lamprey before her death, she basically enthralled all the crew with her overwhelming personality while the captain was very meek. She tossed him overboard in a show of arrogance because she thought she could out-sing the storm, but failed. She did NOT just come back from the dead for no reason, it was hinted that there was a deal made with some entity that brought her back and gave her mastery of the Lore of the Deeps. There will be an ebook released toward the end of this week that will go more in-depth to her story. Her goal is to sink Ulthuan and sing for the Phoenix King's soul. Also, in talking with Games Workshop, they made it clear that this was a Vampire Coast DLC, not a Dreadfleet DLC, so that's part of the reason why CA didn't have more than 2 lords from Dreadfleet.

-Aranessa Saltspite got some additional justification for her part in this. They said that Manann basically told her to take over the seas, but in order to do that she needed a bigger and more permanent crew than pirates. She made a pact with some vampires, and they defended it by reminding everyone that Aranessa is not a "good" guy. She is renowned for being cruel, violent, and utterly ruthless, so making a pact with vampires to get more power is well within her character's potential.

-One spell in the Lore of the Deeps is called something like "Vangheist's Revenge" (this is the spell seen in the Introducing Cylostra video). It summons the actual Shadewraith, Vangheist's ship, to fire a broadside with its cannons.

-The Legendary Lords' unique ships function as mobile capitols for them, meaning your start position doesn't actually have to be your home base, you can just leave it behind if you want. The ships will be able to recruit units, and you can upgrade certain parts of the ships as you would the buildings in a settlement. For example, you can upgrade the mast, or the specific one they mentioned is the harpoon gun that you'll actually need in order to use the Star Metal Harpoon against Amanar

-Speaking of Amanar, they confirmed again that he will have some big impacts on the campaign map, but didn't reveal any more specific details. They did say that the reasoning behind his connection to the Vampire Coast is that the pirate Lords want to use the Star Metal Harpoon to kill Amanar so that they can control him once he's dead, in case that wasn't clear before

-The advisor character for the Vampire Coast factions is an undead monkey named Cymbals who is a taxidermied/stuffed monkey inhabited by an evil soul. This was maybe the best fact presented in the stream.

-Lokhir Fellheart will be a melee focused Lord (they said he gets stuck right in to combat) and he starts with a unique Black Ark that has his squid mask image on the front of it

Best advisor since Skaven scribe incoming. :haw:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Magni posted:

Best advisor since Skaven scribe incoming. :haw:

oh gently caress yes, this dlc is huge and I hope it's all as awesome as it appears.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rock-and-Roll Martian!

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

The new VC updates looks so good I'm definitely running a Kemmler campaign after Noctilus.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If Greenskins get an update anywhere near this good or extensive I will be a very happy Orc :orks101:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I think the thing with skaven denial is its either magically enforced or part of a massive conspiracy that pervades anywhere the skaven get a foothold. Your characters can become skaven deniers if they stand in a corrupted zone too long it makes sense its either a magical brainworm or a mundane brainworm caused by the skaven being craven, venal little turds.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the other problem is they live directly under the empire so it would cause a lot more panic than the other nasties who are isolated in the forests or in other regions.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It's meant to be magical but its vague enough that it could also just be the rats believing its magical while its actually strictly mundane, since skaven are noted as superstitious shits.

Altho it is strange as hell when, in my tomb king campaign, a tomb king got skaven denial, while I was allied with Mors. Guess he figured Settra was just loving with him or something.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It's meant to be magical but its vague enough that it could also just be the rats believing its magical while its actually strictly mundane, since skaven are noted as superstitious shits.

Altho it is strange as hell when, in my tomb king campaign, a tomb king got skaven denial, while I was allied with Mors. Guess he figured Settra was just loving with him or something.

All my tombkings got skaven denial for much the same reasons. I allied with all the rats but their corruption made me forget they existed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Queek puts on a human head like a hat and pretends to be a man - thing, weekend at Bernie's style. Settra's been out of the loop for so long he can't tell the difference. And ain't nobody gonna tell that guy otherwise.

"You sign treaty pact, we help dead things, yes yes!"

"What's that torrent of yellow liquid you are shooting behind you?"

"Is Musk of betrayal ERRR no-no! Is just human....uhhhh....tribute?"

"Ah of course. My eunuchs will direct you to the treasury where you can leave the rest of the tribute to my superiority"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Skaven denial is easier when your nose rotted off a thousand years ago.