Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ditto master will be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Metapod is easy because Caterpie learns Tackle, String Shot and Bug Bite

Also Electroweb and Snore via tutor

Same goes for Weedle

At least Abra can learn a fair amount of TMs

Magikarp has Tackle, Flail, and Bounce

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I somehow doubt there will be move tutors

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

McDragon posted:

ditto master will be fun

How exactly would that one even work? Can Ditto learn any other moves besides Transform?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

They can struggle each other to death

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Larryb posted:

How exactly would that one even work? Can Ditto learn any other moves besides Transform?

It'll be coded to have Imposter Choice Scarf even though abilities and held items aren't in the game

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Alxprit posted:

It'll be coded to have Imposter Choice Scarf even though abilities and held items aren't in the game

The trailer specifically said No Items though.

So yeah, I guess you just bring a Ditto with max speed and attack so you get the first and most powerful Struggles.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another possibility could be that the opposing Ditto would just have the ability to turn into any Pokemon at will and as such you can just copy them and proceed from there.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Transform now turns you into a random Kanto Pokemon

Have fun always getting base pokemon while your opponent pulls out Legendaries and Final Evos

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The info page says not all master trainers will battle, some have a request instead, and there's a screenshot of the ditto master saying they want to see a truly powerful ditto

https://pokemonletsgo.pokemon.com/en-us/kanto-region/#master-trainer

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Licarn posted:

a truly powerful ditto

i.e. Mew

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I could certainly see more resources going to it and it ultimately supplanting the mainline games if it does very significant numbers, yes.

E: or that the mainline games will take a lot more from Let’s Go’s design going forward

I have these exact same fears, and neither the news around LGPE nor Game Freak's track record the last two gens are helping.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Meltan.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The pre-final evolution master trainers are gonna be annoying, especially for Omanyte and Kabuto if you can only get 1 in the game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Larryb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeWxEbl2kWQ

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This guy's voice...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
At least he doesn’t say Pokeymon which always makes me click close tab instantaneously

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

The trailer specifically said No Items though.

So yeah, I guess you just bring a Ditto with max speed and attack so you get the first and most powerful Struggles.

Because of Transform's mechanics, you'd actually want the slower Ditto in a Ditto mirror match

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Beachcomber posted:

This guy's voice...

oh my god

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RatHat posted:

The pre-final evolution master trainers are gonna be annoying, especially for Omanyte and Kabuto if you can only get 1 in the game.

And that's where Pokemon Go connectivity jumps in. Stuff like that is common on that game.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

:psyduck: goddamn ditto is complete garbage, and this guy is insane.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Red Metal posted:

Because of Transform's mechanics, you'd actually want the slower Ditto in a Ditto mirror match

How come? I'd think you'd want to transform first so that you can drop your Transform from 10 PP straight to 5.

I tried looking up how transform works to get a better sense of it, but man Bulbapedia's template for move pages sucks. It doesn't just tell you how the move works in the latest generation. No, it only tells you how it's different from the previous generation. So dumb.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I didn't watch the video, but since you can beat the game with the likes of a single Magikarp and a Caterpie, I'm going to assume the answer is yes.

Ariong posted:

How come? I'd think you'd want to transform first so that you can drop your Transform from 10 PP straight to 5.

I tried looking up how transform works to get a better sense of it, but man Bulbapedia's template for move pages sucks. It doesn't just tell you how the move works in the latest generation. No, it only tells you how it's different from the previous generation. So dumb.

Bulbapedia is a dumb, bloated piece of poo poo website, yes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can't transform into Ditto, and the move will just fail if you try. This is because in gen I, in a mirror match, Transform's PP would be reset to 5 whenever it was used, so you would literally be trapped in a forever battle if you didn't have a non-Ditto to switch in.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Silver Falcon posted:

Bulbapedia is a dumb, bloated piece of poo poo website, yes.

On mobile it always redirects me to scam sites. That is always galling of course (it happens on the front page of this very website!) but it is especially irksome when it happens on a website which, theoretically, children would frequent.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can't transform into Ditto, and the move will just fail if you try. This is because in gen I, in a mirror match, Transform's PP would be reset to 5 whenever it was used, so you would literally be trapped in a forever battle if you didn't have a non-Ditto to switch in.

That's what I originally thought. So then, why not bring a ditto with as much speed and attack as possible?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

Struggle causes you to lose 25% of your HP, which will probably be less than the damage you deal, so Struggling first kills you faster than you kill them.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can transform into Ditto, you can't transform into something that's already transformed.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

every time I see the best boi venasaur in motion I know that it doesn't matter if the game arrives on fire, I have to get it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
if it’s ya best boi then why can’t you even get its name right

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Red Metal posted:

Struggle causes you to lose 25% of your HP, which will probably be less than the damage you deal, so Struggling first kills you faster than you kill them.

Struggle didn't have such large recoil in Gen 1. Also, potions.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dr Pepper posted:

Struggle didn't have such large recoil in Gen 1. Also, potions.

I’m guessing that Let’s Go will use the latest mechanics rather than the gen 1. Not positive, but it seems like kind of a weird under-the-hood type thing to go back on.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ariong posted:

I’m guessing that Let’s Go will use the latest mechanics rather than the gen 1. Not positive, but it seems like kind of a weird under-the-hood type thing to go back on.

Oh you were talking about Let's Go and not that video.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

less laughter posted:

if it’s ya best boi then why can’t you even get its name right

Because I pronounce it with venasaur, not venUsaur

이상해꽃 is the best boi.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is this the thread for Detective Pikachu? I'm only partway through, but I think they blew their Mewtwo wad too early. I was already suspecting him from the notes and the psychic stuff that put his dads mind in Pikachu (my working theory), but it would have been nice to save the reveal for later. Like an actual detective story, maybe.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

This guy has some fun videos about softlocking R/B/Y and then finding ways to escape them(which are pretty hilarious).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKSWywJO2w8

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what's wrong with his voice?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't understand why people keep asking that. It's pretty nasally sure but far from the weirdest voice I've heard.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah, it sounds pretty normal to me.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

I think A-Marowak just channels it’s mothers lingering regrets as hellfire, and the dancing bird does the same with random spirits. Decidueye js weird as poo poo tho since the reasoning is “it’s an extinct animal” and nothing really goes into detail on it across four games’ worth of Pokédex entries and it’s bio on the website.

i assume the ghost typing for decidueye is because it's a deathly quiet sniper as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hey thread! Today is the day for Reshiram/Zekrom codes at Target and :havlat: :havlat: :havlat: ZERAORA CODES AT GAMESTOP :havlat: :havlat: :havlat:

I'm traveling for the next several days, but will grab extras for my usual giveaways when I'm home next week.