Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I just got a power bill here in Finland and it was about 50aud for 10 weeks. Power prices are bad in Australia but there's some impressive power usages ITT also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

:dudsmile:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

My girlfriend's apartment in Taipei cost her $3 a month in electricity in 2010.

Nuclear power it's cheap.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
With Malcom gone do the LNP even have the money to throw at the guy to get the URL back?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Dimebag posted:

With Malcom gone do the LNP even have the money to throw at the guy to get the URL back?

It's a .au domain so it's a bit easier to get back than it would be normally.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

It's a .au domain so it's a bit easier to get back than it would be normally.

They're basically SOL unless the dude's ABN expires and even then, unless he agrees to sell it or forgets to renew, it's his

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bell jar posted:

They're basically SOL unless the dude's ABN expires and even then, unless he agrees to sell it or forgets to renew, it's his

https://auda.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200370255-What-do-I-need-to-do-to-lodge-a-claim-under-the-auDRP-

quote:

What do I need to do to lodge a claim under the auDRP?

As the Complainant in an auDRP claim, you need to demonstrate before a panel that:

1. The domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a name, trademark or service mark in which you have rights; and
2. The Respondent, the current holder of the domain, has no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name; and
3. The domain name has been registered or subsequently used by the Respondent in bad faith.

To lodge a claim under the auDRP, please contact an auDRP provider for more details about the process.

https://www.auda.org.au/policies/index-of-published-policies/2016/2016-01/

quote:

b. Evidence of Registration or Use in Bad Faith. For the purposes of Paragraph 4(a)(iii), the following circumstances, in particular but without limitation, if found by the Panel to be present, shall be evidence of the registration and use of a domain name in bad faith:

(i) circumstances indicating that you have registered or you have acquired the domain name primarily for the purpose of selling, renting, or otherwise transferring the domain name registration to another person for valuable consideration in excess of your documented out-of-pocket costs directly related to the domain name; or

(ii) you have registered the domain name in order to prevent the owner of a name, trademark or service mark from reflecting that name or mark in a corresponding domain name; or

(iii) you have registered the domain name primarily for the purpose of disrupting the business or activities of another person; or

(iv) by using the domain name, you have intentionally attempted to attract, for commercial gain, Internet users to a website or other online location, by creating a likelihood of confusion with the complainant's name or mark as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of that website or location or of a product or service on that website or location; or

(v) if any of your representations or warranties as to eligibility or third party rights given on application or renewal are, or subsequently become, false or misleading in any manner.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Kommando posted:

My girlfriend's apartment in Taipei cost her $3 a month in electricity in 2010.

Nuclear power it's cheap.

It really isn't
That is the government subsidising it.

Assuming a low usage of 3kWh/day that's around 3c/kWh - not even close to what full lifecycle costs are on nuclear. It's maybe close to the marginal wholesale cost

norp fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 19, 2018

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This is really funny but I imagine some lawyers are writing up scary looking letters right now and the guy will cave. It would be great to see them have to drag the whole process through the system though.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Also https://www.auda.org.au/policies/index-of-published-policies/2012/2012-04/

quote:

The com.au 2LD is for commercial purposes.

The following rules are to be read in conjunction with the Eligibility and Allocation Rules for All Open 2LDs, contained in Schedule A of this document.

1. To be eligible for a domain name in the com.au 2LD, registrants must be:

a) an Australian registered company; or

b) trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory; or

c) an Australian partnership or sole trader; or

d) a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or

e) an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

f) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

g) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or

h) an Australian commercial statutory body.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It wasnt a motion that said 'Its okay to be lobster red'

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Well good thing Scott Morrison is a commercial entity and not a politician then

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

norp posted:

Well good thing Scott Morrison is a commercial entity and not a politician then

I guess that explains why he's so bad at it then.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Scott Morrison doesn't own the name Scott Morrison, it's notoriously hard to argue that the domain was registered in bad faith since the original registrant let the domain expire, and the domain was registered against a valid ABN owned by a sole trader. Since the domain isn't being used solely for reselling purposes and contains material relating to the domain name, it's going to be real hard for a complainant to convince a panel of this and get the domain ownership transferred.

Source: I have been a member of AuDA and have worked in the domain registration/webhosting business for the last 5 years, and the amount of successful auDRP challenges I've seen are somewhere around zero

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

AuDA's powers are really limited and ultimately come down to a time consuming and bureaucratic process that usually just tells the complainant they're SOL

e: also they're in the middle of a long running constitutional review process which is either going to water down these powers or remove them entirely, lol

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

So the my health opt out period is about to run out, did they manage to fix the open-to-all thing in the laws?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bell jar posted:

Scott Morrison doesn't own the name Scott Morrison, it's notoriously hard to argue that the domain was registered in bad faith since the original registrant let the domain expire, and the domain was registered against a valid ABN owned by a sole trader. Since the domain isn't being used solely for reselling purposes and contains material relating to the domain name, it's going to be real hard for a complainant to convince a panel of this and get the domain ownership transferred.

Source: I have been a member of AuDA and have worked in the domain registration/webhosting business for the last 5 years, and the amount of successful auDRP challenges I've seen are somewhere around zero

Don't get my hopes up bell jar

(actually my hopes shouldn't even be up, who the hell would go to Scummo's website anyway?)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In case anybody wasn't aware the opt-out period was extended to November 15.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Don't get my hopes up bell jar

(actually my hopes shouldn't even be up, who the hell would go to Scummo's website anyway?)

A fun hobby is sitting on the domain drop lists every day and picking out fun sounding domains that people have let lapse

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

norp posted:

So the my health opt out period is about to run out, did they manage to fix the open-to-all thing in the laws?
nope

and there is no reason not to opt out because you can always opt back in but you can't opt out

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
knowing that the gov is not that far off having a facist section emerge I don't want the new Aus Stasi near my health data

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

bell jar posted:

Really? We had a successful challenge against someone a couple of weeks ago. It took about 3 weeks to actually hear anything from auDA but we got there in the end.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bell jar posted:

I really hope you're right. :D

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ShoeFly posted:

Really? We had a successful challenge against someone a couple of weeks ago. It took about 3 weeks to actually hear anything from auDA but we got there in the end.

You have a very lucky registrant! Or a very sloppy domain squatter. I once launched an auDRP against onenation.com.au because it was registered to an ABN that expired in 2003 but they refused to deregister it because reasons. I thought for sure that was open and shut

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Interesting caricature of the Dave Sharma from The Australian.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Anidav posted:

So they're saying Sharma is driving the horse but having to carry Hewson and Turnbull's legacy?
Isn't it the other way around?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Schlesische posted:

So they're saying Sharma is driving the horse but having to carry Hewson and Turnbull's legacy?
Isn't it the other way around?
They're already appointing blame for the result of Wentworth. The term "LINOs" was employed.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Also the massive hook nose drawn on a Jewish candidate lol.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Trapezium Dave posted:

They're already appointing blame for the result of Wentworth. The term "LINOs" was employed.

'LINO', really? Can they do anything without copying the yanks poorly?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Opposite that picture the Australian's Cut & Paste section is titled "If Labor doesn't dog-whistle to Nazis its siren songs appeal to a few fans of Hitler".

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/ElspethHussey7/status/1053079322376859648?s=19

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Anidav posted:

I instantly knew the pig in the earlier picture someone posted was Barnaby Joyce. I'd have no clue Turnbull was in this picture if I hadn't read someone's post.

Stop posting First Dog is what I'm saying.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Morrison admits Lobs likely hosed in Wentworth

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/19/not-just-a-provocateur-gavin-mcinnes-should-not-be-allowed-into-australia

Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes is coming to Australia. Great.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Someone's gotta take on Apex mate.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gridlocked posted:

Morrison admits Lobs likely hosed in Wentworth

Liberal Wogs?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

There were some ads on these here forums about it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status/1053022303976546304

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde