Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Twelve Batmans posted:

It looks like a little hamster Harvey Weinstein.

Hamstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Ravenholm puts me to sleep

I'm gonna put you to sleep all right

The beauty of Ravenholm wasn't in its obviousness, it's the overall presentation. If you don't like the idea of one long continuous light puzzle game dressed up as something else you're not really going to go for most of Valve's creative output.

CrRoMa posted:

Overwatch was pretty fun in that free beta when no one had a clue what they were doing and you could just go Winston and jump about the place

Likewise Chivalry was a million times more fun when people didn't know what they were doing or how to cheese its controls.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Half-Life 2 bored the gently caress out of me when it came out, and I never bothered to finish it. People told me to get to Ravenholm, and I did, and it was boring. They said get the gravity gun because it's just so fun, and I did, but UT's shield gun was already more fun than that and the idea of catching an item and firing it off had been done in UT2k3. It has always felt to me like people who thought HL2 was great had the impression that guns in first person shooters hadn't gotten any more interesting since Quake 2 or something.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Likewise Chivalry was a million times more fun when people didn't know what they were doing or how to cheese its controls.

I haven't played in a long time but man, ~30 people indiscriminately swinging giant swords at each other was my poo poo. Being able to decapitate a dude as he's being run through was peak gaming for me.

I was kinda hoping For Honor would've been more of the same but it was pretty disappointing.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
the gravity gun was neat but ultimately stupid imo because it was just another scripted sequence. basically you could only ever use it on things that the devs specifically ticked the "gravity gun" checkbox on

also its dumb as gently caress to have a gun with infinite ammo that can flip over a car but cant push a guy with a gun, for completely arbitrary reasons, until the last 5% of the game

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chivalry owned when it came out for lanparties, it started to suck when people began to abuse ducking, but there was nothing more fun than just facing off against another guy with a sword and then having a third person come in and hack both of your heads and arms off. I wish the playerbase would just get amnesia about the controls so it could be fun again.

I remember very few good scenes from HL2, if I had to pick a favorite it'd probably be novy prospekt but even that wasn't that much fun. It was really more of a puzzle platformer than an FPS.

Black Mesa is an awful remake of HL1, by the way. It sucks.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Everything about Overwatch is great except the game itself and Tracer.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think the problem with HL2, and WAY moreso Portal 2, was how much research they did into player experience. Like, they did an absolute poo poo ton of testing and iterating, so that they knew that like, 80% of players go into a room and look directly up for some reason, so they put a thing on the ceiling. Or, 67% of players tried to turn left here, so they moved the exit from the right to the left.

It has the effect of everything being super polished, but also of telegraphing EVERY single puzzle super clearly. Like it's all well and good developing such a strong visual language that I play your game as you intended, and get all the cool set pieces curated to me in a way that feels organic. That's good. But by portal 2 it was so polished, I would literally walk into any room and go "oh I see, that's clever" then click through it. There was exactly one puzzle I didn't immediately get, where I had to take a second look around. It's not because I'm clever, it's because they taught me a language and then asked me to read it and I could.

At least in HL2 there were still some bits that were... I dunno, for want of a better word, weird? Like, in Prey, when you first get the glue gun, you can use it to scale the wall to reach the level above, and it feels like you're breaking the game. Of course they've accounted for it, but there's no obvious place to do it. In valve world, there would be one wall with graffiti going up it diagonally, and at the top of the wall just where the graffiti ends would be a hole in the ceiling, with high contrasting distress marks around the hole. Nestling on the precipice would be a desirable power up. This wall would be a dead end down a corridor.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 18, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Ravenholm puts me to sleep, it's just a bunch of hoops you have to jump through. Pick up this conveniently placed saw, cut the slow rear end zombie in half, set this guy on fire with the obvious set up. I never enjoyed it. The gravity gun is a very forgiving weapon that doesn't feel challenging.

The biggest problem with HL2 are the guns though.

I'm sorry that you never got to see Home Alone as a child

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Tribes was better than UT99 or Q3A

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

oh dope posted:

I haven't played in a long time but man, ~30 people indiscriminately swinging giant swords at each other was my poo poo. Being able to decapitate a dude as he's being run through was peak gaming for me.

I was kinda hoping For Honor would've been more of the same but it was pretty disappointing.

I didn't play a lot of chivalry but I'll never forget the time I narrowly escaped death by kicking that guy into the wall spikes

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

QuarkJets posted:

I'm sorry that you never got to see Home Alone as a child

Ravenholm is like if rather than constructing his own death traps, the kid just conveniently walked home to find them all set up for him.

Also hes a grown man and the bad guys are zombies so you cant laugh at their pain and comical comeuppance by a child.

And there are only 2 or so traps repeated and naseaum.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

!Klams posted:

I think the problem with HL2, and WAY moreso Portal 2, was how much research they did into player experience. Like, they did an absolute poo poo ton of testing and iterating, so that they knew that like, 80% of players go into a room and look directly up for some reason, so they put a thing on the ceiling. Or, 67% of players tried to turn left here, so they moved the exit from the right to the left.

It has the effect of everything being super polished, but also of telegraphing EVERY single puzzle super clearly. Like it's all well and good developing such a strong visual language that I play your game as you intended, and get all the cool set pieces curated to me in a way that feels organic. That's good. But by portal 2 it was so polished, I would literally walk into any room and go "oh I see, that's clever" then click through it. There was exactly one puzzle I didn't immediately get, where I had to take a second look around. It's not because I'm clever, it's because they taught me a language and then asked me to read it and I could.

At least in HL2 there were still some bits that were... I dunno, for want of a better word, weird? Like, in Prey, when you first get the glue gun, you can use it to scale the wall to reach the level above, and it feels like you're breaking the game. Of course they've accounted for it, but there's no obvious place to do it. In valve world, there would be one wall with graffiti going up it diagonally, and at the top of the wall just where the graffiti ends would be a hole in the ceiling, with high contrasting distress marks around the hole. Nestling on the precipice would be a desirable power up. This wall would be a dead end down a corridor.

You say you hate this, but obtuse mechanics, confusing mechanics, or things you can't really learn without a wiki are all far more garbage.

SMDH at people ITT complaining that Valve level design is objectively good

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You say you hate this, but obtuse mechanics, confusing mechanics, or things you can't really learn without a wiki are all far more garbage.

SMDH at people ITT complaining that Valve level design is objectively good

Nah, I really like obtuse stuff. Stuff you can't learn without a wiki might be pushing it, but it might not. I mean I appreciate though this is an incorrect, as well as unpopular opinion. But, to me, novelty is ten billion times more important than anything else, because I've seen the "well scripted well designed" before. What's the point? Its like how every tv episode had to subtly catch you up by having an outside character ask what's going on or whatever. Like, "oh the big block that literally all I can do with it is slide it about has to be in the right place does it? Do I slide it over here away from the new area I've unlocked but can't get past? Oh, no, I can't because there's a boundary that prevents this, thank God! I might have tried anything else at all ever otherwise". Nah. gently caress off. Give me zero context clues and make it slide around like that, but I have to generate enough friction sliding it to ignite it. Something. Anything other than the typical.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

GTAV is clearly an achievement in world-building and design, but the game is story is bloviated and uninteresting and the gameplay is the same unfun poo poo that they have been making since PS2. Michael sucks as a character and the writing isn't as nearly as funny as it wants to be.

RDR2 is going to be the most beautiful case of same old poo poo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

GTAV is clearly an achievement in world-building and design, but the game is story is bloviated and uninteresting and the gameplay is the same unfun poo poo that they have been making since PS2. Michael sucks as a character and the writing isn't as nearly as funny as it wants to be.

they got rid of the whole sixth wanted level and the army will never come after you in gta5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HL2 is just incredibly good, but that's a popular videogame opinion for another thread.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you upgraded saints row 2 to 2018 technology it would be a better game than gta5

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
San Andreas is still the best of the GTA series. That's not controversial but this might be: It was exactly the point where you could see the humor in the series becoming stale. Far too many jokes on the radio that nobody should be joking about. Like pederasty.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

HL2 is just incredibly good, but that's a popular videogame opinion for another thread.

You came to the wrong part of town, motherfucker

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

!Klams posted:

Nah, I really like obtuse stuff. Stuff you can't learn without a wiki might be pushing it, but it might not. I mean I appreciate though this is an incorrect, as well as unpopular opinion. But, to me, novelty is ten billion times more important than anything else, because I've seen the "well scripted well designed" before. What's the point? Its like how every tv episode had to subtly catch you up by having an outside character ask what's going on or whatever. Like, "oh the big block that literally all I can do with it is slide it about has to be in the right place does it? Do I slide it over here away from the new area I've unlocked but can't get past? Oh, no, I can't because there's a boundary that prevents this, thank God! I might have tried anything else at all ever otherwise". Nah. gently caress off. Give me zero context clues and make it slide around like that, but I have to generate enough friction sliding it to ignite it. Something. Anything other than the typical.

Sure but you'd still want that poo poo in more than one place. If you can burn stuff using friction then the fact that that is possible in that game should be made known to the player.

Out of all the puzzles in all adventure games I've played, the only one that really sticks out in my mind as a real gently caress you because of this was in Myst. There's a 3 number combination that you have to solve using 2 levers, and each one spins an outer number and also the middle number. This puzzle is impossible to solve if you don't know the trick to it, and it's ridiculously easy if you do know the trick to it. The trick is that if you click and hold a lever, it spins the middle number an additional time. Thing is, this game came out in 1993, and at that time the idea of clicking and holding for an input was hosed up because that was only used for selecting multiple things by clicking and dragging to create a selection box. The puzzle also did not do anything to suggest this to the player, and was presented as a mathematical problem.

Hotel Dusk had a similar puzzle that required the player to assemble a jigsaw puzzle, but there was no obvious input to flip the assembled puzzle over to see the back of it, where you'd find a message. That game was on the Nintendo DS though, and the solution for it was to close the DS and open it back up, which also transfers the puzzle from one screen to the other. There is at least the context of playing the game on a clamshell device, and there is a clue about what the solution to the puzzle should be in that you know there is some writing on the back of the puzzle piece you found.

Having the player think creatively to solve puzzles is cool. Thinking outside the box feels good. Setting up puzzles that require specific actions that are in no way suggested to the player through any context is dumb as gently caress.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Myst sucks. The Journeyman Project came out in the same year and kicks the poo poo out of it in every conceivable way.

EDIT: Well, the Turbo! version does anyway. That came out a year later, but that was just a performance fix iirc

olives black fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 19, 2018

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

!Klams posted:

not sure i agree. and only peculiar to the valve and perhaps the blizzard of yesteryear (world of warcraft had this kind of problem compared to other mmos). but an interesting take.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I wish they'd revisit some of the ideas from early gta games (1 & 2) like when you could choose gangs. I'm sick of the drive to point A watch HBO TV series knockoff cut scene, drive to point B while listening to more boring dialog, shoot poo poo repeat. That said, I do think it worked in RDR better for some reason, maybe the slower pace of the open world but still stale.

Re: HL2. It never felt like a sequel to HL1 to me, it was like a totally different IP, I think it was the dystopian setting that felt so far removed from the black mesa facility. (I'm a sucker for games set in single locales like that, MGS, early Resi games) Also, I think it's the ways it keeps you on a linear path in the city environment becomes far more obvious and jarring. HL1 for the most part was a corridor shooter set in a bunch of corridors so could get away with it.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I replayed hl1 multiple times. I tried the hl2 demo and couldn't even finish it, it was so boring

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
hl2 has a lot of that bad ludonarrative dissonance poo poo in it

like how you get a gravity gun that can flip over cars but malfunctions for no reason if you fire it at a bad guy. or youre in a big rear end city but theres always convenient fences or poo poo in the way so you cant ever go off the designers path. or you drive a car through the wilderness but theres convenient cliffs keeping you on a rail

like the last poster said it works underground in black mesa but not so much above ground. maybe hl2 really should have been an open world game or some poo poo but it was released 2-3 years too early for that

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Valko posted:

San Andreas is still the best of the GTA series. That's not controversial but this might be: It was exactly the point where you could see the humor in the series becoming stale. Far too many jokes on the radio that nobody should be joking about. Like pederasty.

Only GTA I've replayed all the way through and I'll probably do it again at some stage. I've replayed Bully a few times too/

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

spaceblancmange posted:

I wish they'd revisit some of the ideas from early gta games (1 & 2) like when you could choose gangs. I'm sick of the drive to point A watch HBO TV series knockoff cut scene, drive to point B while listening to more boring dialog, shoot poo poo repeat. That said, I do think it worked in RDR better for some reason, maybe the slower pace of the open world but still stale.

Re: HL2. It never felt like a sequel to HL1 to me, it was like a totally different IP, I think it was the dystopian setting that felt so far removed from the black mesa facility. (I'm a sucker for games set in single locales like that, MGS, early Resi games) Also, I think it's the ways it keeps you on a linear path in the city environment becomes far more obvious and jarring. HL1 for the most part was a corridor shooter set in a bunch of corridors so could get away with it.

They had random events that spiced it up and you always had to look out for rare horses and animals yiu needed ro kill to get tge cool dusters and poo poo. Gta has none of that.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

olives black posted:

Myst sucks. The Journeyman Project came out in the same year and kicks the poo poo out of it in every conceivable way.

EDIT: Well, the Turbo! version does anyway. That came out a year later, but that was just a performance fix iirc

:respek: my man

The Journeyman Project is a cool series and it's a shame no one has tried rebooting it or at least done something, anything with it

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Darkside of the Moon is another first person puzzle/adventure game from that era that I would love to see a remaster of as the game is a nightmare to get running correctly on modern systems.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

Tribes was better than UT99 or Q3A

base game, yes. but UTs strength in not the base game. when you add in all the mods, and mutators, extra levels, game modes, etc Unreal Tournament comes out the better game.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Good soup! posted:

:respek: my man

The Journeyman Project is a cool series and it's a shame no one has tried rebooting it or at least done something, anything with it

I'd love a remake of 7th Guest or 11th Hour. Or something in the vein of Toonstruck.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

if you upgraded saints row 2 to 2018 technology it would be a better game than gta5

:wrong:

it's already a better game without the upgrade

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

jimmyjams posted:

hl2 has a lot of that bad ludonarrative dissonance poo poo in it

:lol: this doesn't mean what you think it means

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
HL2 seems like it was the last gasp of the old way of PC FPSes where tons of gameplay sections and settings are basically there to show off what the engine can do, and imitators missed the point of why that even existed and filled their games with linear setpieces and glorified mandatory minigames.

It's no wonder that unusual games with new formulas or specific twists on old ones that hadn't been thought of or successful before (Battle Royale type games seem new, but they're especially suited for the modern online gaming landscape) because all the well-established genres are imitators imitating imitators, frequently cargo-culting features and mechanics without thinking of what they actually add to the game. A lot of the best game design comes from devs doing something new or unusual, at least to them, and having to think about and test what actually works best for that idea and what doesn't.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
the platforming bits were the best parts of hl1 and more shooters need to do this

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
xen was fine

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Halo was better than HL2. At least halo was a real shooter and taking out elites was enjoyable. The story was crass and dumb, and the environments visually boring, but at least I had fun with it. The sequels I hardly remember playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

when i was 10, the best age to play half life, xen was an incredibly cool way to end the game