Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I kinda have no clue where to even begin finding a school for a graduate program. I'm living in the South Bay, CA right now there seems be nothing around for sociology. Do I need to attend the school in person in order to get that E5 COLA pay? I want that loving COLA pay. How did you all go about school hunting? All the googling I'm doing just comes up with terrible websites that claim to have information on schools in the area, but don't do poo poo other than vaguely describe what a degree is.

Also does the VA help any with paying for GREs and whatnot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anyone more knowledgeable, please correct me if I am wrong

vulturesrow posted:

On that note, aren't I entitled to a year or something of free mental health care with the VA post retirement?

I'm going to talk with the VSO rep that prepared my claim but I want to see what the SA hivemind has to say as well.

e: To clarify one of my concerns here, I'm a little concerned because my understanding is that since I'm within 1 year of my decision the entire claim would have to be reviewed and not just this one particular rating. I'd hate to lose points off my overall rating because of this

https://www.oefoif.va.gov/ as you have no doubt been deployed on a carrier/amphib and got your OEF ribbon, you get five years care for issues from that (which I would guess would be most things)

https://www.vetcenter.va.gov/ on the mental health side of things, Vet Centers are located in many more places than hospitals and can help you out.

Wrr posted:

I kinda have no clue where to even begin finding a school for a graduate program. I'm living in the South Bay, CA right now there seems be nothing around for sociology. Do I need to attend the school in person in order to get that E5 COLA pay? I want that loving COLA pay. How did you all go about school hunting? All the googling I'm doing just comes up with terrible websites that claim to have information on schools in the area, but don't do poo poo other than vaguely describe what a degree is.

You need to be going more than half of your hours on-ground and not online/virtual to get the E5 w/dependence MHA. If you are totally virtual, then you get the national average which is ~$825/month. The GI Bill can pay for your GRE however, it will use up one month of benefits so, not a good trade-off.

Edit: Some more info https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch33/ch33rates080118.asp

quote:

National Testing Programs/Licensing & Certification Tests
You can be reimbursed up to $2,000 per test. Your entitlement will be charged one month for every $1,974.91 paid to you rounded to the nearest non-zero whole month; this means even low-cost tests are charged one month of entitlement per test.

Edit 2: I might be incorrect about the less than half on-ground, it might just be as long as you have a single on-ground class you get that campus locations MHA

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 18, 2018

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Wrr posted:

It's been a while since I used the GI Bill, so I don't have the exact answers for you but I can share some general knowledge.

I have no idea what you mean by South Bay, CA because when I google that for a location it comes back with either South Bay in the SF area or South Bay in the LA area.

You do not need to attend in person for BAH. However, the amount of BAH you receive will be different. If you take classes exclusively online with no in-class time, you will only receive E5 BAH at the national average rate. I have no idea what that is. When I was taking classes I preferred to take everything I could online, and I would schedule some dumb lovely 1 credit hour in-class.

I just decided to go to the college closest to my location. Didn't really think about it. They love veterans and waive all the requirements like SAT/ACT.

As far as I know, the VA does not help with GRE. I don't even think I had to take one for Ohio State. They saw veteran and just let me (and husband who is also a veteran) in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sarah posted:

You do not need to attend in person for BAH. However, the amount of BAH you receive will be different. If you take classes exclusively online with no in-class time, you will only receive E5 BAH at the national average rate. I have no idea what that is. When I was taking classes I preferred to take everything I could online, and I would schedule some dumb lovely 1 credit hour in-class.

HALF the national average. $825 per month right now.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Godholio posted:

HALF the national average. $825 per month right now.

Ah yes. I knew it was something much worse than just the average. That's why I always took that lovely 1 credit hour in-class. I think it was less than that when I was using the GI bill while going full time... I want to say it was about $650. drat that's not enough BAH for a lot of places.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I did the Ask a Question in the GI Bill and they didn't seem to like dealing with a hypothetical so figured I'd see if anyone here knew (like Vas)

When I enlisted I paid into the MGIB-AD (Active Duty). A few years ago I relinquished that for the post-9/11 and used that for my MS. I am working on an MSW and will exhaust my 36 months by the end of the program. My rate in the reserve has a reenlistment bonus again and was thinking that if I was going to be going out to 20 good years for that, I saw that it made me eligible for the MGIB-SR (Selected Reserve). Is there a maximum amount of month you can receive GI Bill benefits between the different chapters? I realize MGIB-SR is a pittance but figured having something additional isn't bad after I exhaust my post-9/11.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you paid into your MGIB and used the P9/11GIB first, you get up to 12 months of MGIB back (or you can get your $1200 back).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I did the Ask a Question in the GI Bill and they didn't seem to like dealing with a hypothetical so figured I'd see if anyone here knew (like Vas)

When I enlisted I paid into the MGIB-AD (Active Duty). A few years ago I relinquished that for the post-9/11 and used that for my MS. I am working on an MSW and will exhaust my 36 months by the end of the program. My rate in the reserve has a reenlistment bonus again and was thinking that if I was going to be going out to 20 good years for that, I saw that it made me eligible for the MGIB-SR (Selected Reserve). Is there a maximum amount of month you can receive GI Bill benefits between the different chapters? I realize MGIB-SR is a pittance but figured having something additional isn't bad after I exhaust my post-9/11.

Um try for Voc Rehab?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Is anyone else getting shorted on their GI Bill BAH? The 2018 BAH rate for my school (and what the GI Bill Calculator says I should be getting) is $58 more than what I'm getting.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Is anyone else getting shorted on their GI Bill BAH? The 2018 BAH rate for my school (and what the GI Bill Calculator says I should be getting) is $58 more than what I'm getting.

Has the rate changed for the academic year yet? I know that BAH changes in January-ish but that doesn't go through for the GI Bill until September or so

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Has the rate changed for the academic year yet? I know that BAH changes in January-ish but that doesn't go through for the GI Bill until September or so

Well, according to the VA's own GI Bill calculator, I should be getting the higher number which is the 2018 BAH rate for my school's zip code. According to my eBenefits page, it's the same amount I received last academic year, too.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

McNally posted:

Well, according to the VA's own GI Bill calculator, I should be getting the higher number which is the 2018 BAH rate for my school's zip code. According to my eBenefits page, it's the same amount I received last academic year, too.

https://www.stripes.com/news/students-using-gi-bill-receive-incorrect-housing-payments-due-to-va-technical-errors-1.548276

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I need to double check a couple of things to make sure I'm remembering correctly:
For those of us (probably all of us?) who weren't in for the "forever gi bill" or whatever...the regular Post 9/11 GIB expires 10 years after sep, right? EXCEPT if you're already in a class/semester/term, then it covers the full class/semester/term, right?

I just realized I need to start burning my remaining ~24 months starting next year if I want to also burn my MGIB. Next step: figure out what the gently caress I want to get another degree in. :geno:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
yeah I have to just pick one in-person class and a bunch of bullshit online to not do... they still pay you BAH if you fail your community college classes right?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone here gone through the CRSC application process?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I need to double check a couple of things to make sure I'm remembering correctly:
For those of us (probably all of us?) who weren't in for the "forever gi bill" or whatever...the regular Post 9/11 GIB expires 10 years after sep, right? EXCEPT if you're already in a class/semester/term, then it covers the full class/semester/term, right?

I just realized I need to start burning my remaining ~24 months starting next year if I want to also burn my MGIB. Next step: figure out what the gently caress I want to get another degree in. :geno:

I was told 15. It's been > 10 for me since I got out and I'm still getting P911 BAH. Your COE should cover it. Also, please don't rely on my words, I'm just a dude on the internet.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Zero VGS posted:

yeah I have to just pick one in-person class and a bunch of bullshit online to not do... they still pay you BAH if you fail your community college classes right?

Your BAH and tuition is still 100% covered if you fail a class.If you drop the class, you have to pay the tuition and BAH back, and you don't get the GI Bill prorated back to you for what you are paying back. So basically, if you feel like you're going to fail and you want to drop to save your GPA, it's going to cost you. So you get to decide if you want to pay it back or eat the failure. What a great system!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Sarah posted:

Your BAH and tuition is still 100% covered if you fail a class.If you drop the class, you have to pay the tuition and BAH back, and you don't get the GI Bill prorated back to you for what you are paying back. So basically, if you feel like you're going to fail and you want to drop to save your GPA, it's going to cost you. So you get to decide if you want to pay it back or eat the failure. What a great system!
Also, remember that trying to argue with DFAS really, truly is like talking to a brick wall.

Then they send you a bill and say, "well, you should have said something!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Booger Presley posted:

I was told 15. It's been > 10 for me since I got out and I'm still getting P911 BAH. Your COE should cover it. Also, please don't rely on my words, I'm just a dude on the internet.

If it's 15 that changes the situation a lot...guess I need to do some digging.

I have 25 months and 20 days left on my P911.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sarah posted:

Does uh... not showing up much count as failing or dropping out?

edit: lol, I never knew there's tons of websites where I can just pay people to take all my online classes for me. If that's what it takes to cash this thing out it doesn't seem like the worst idea. I have no interest in actually completing any kind of degree anyway, I've saved up enough to retire.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 5, 2018

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Zero VGS posted:

Does uh... not showing up much count as failing or dropping out?

edit: lol, I never knew there's tons of websites where I can just pay people to take all my online classes for me. If that's what it takes to cash this thing out it doesn't seem like the worst idea. I have no interest in actually completing any kind of degree anyway, I've saved up enough to retire.

You can be dropped for attendance if it's noticed. GI Bill considered financial aid.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

If it's 15 that changes the situation a lot...guess I need to do some digging.

I have 25 months and 20 days left on my P911.

It IS 15...I probably drilled it into my head that at the 10 year mark I should get started.

Still gonna look for an interesting program though, I want that 1500/mo BAH NOW.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sarah posted:

I did exactly this with a class I had an absolutely terrible professor in. Was going to drop it but it ended up making more sense to just fail it and retake it.

Retook the class with a better prof and got an A. The best part is the failure dropped off my GPA because I retook it and passed.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

It IS 15...I probably drilled it into my head that at the 10 year mark I should get started.

Still gonna look for an interesting program though, I want that 1500/mo BAH NOW.

:hfive:

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2018/10/11/veterans-military-retirees-will-see-a-28-percent-cola-boost-for-2019/

2.8% COLA increase for 2019.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cool. An extra 15 bucks a month, get me a 30 pack or two of the finest light ice college lager.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thats a costco membership if you save it up for a few months!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So checked my ebenefits va registration status last night and it updated to my new school.

Random selection of money in my account this morning.

Absolutely no loving idea at all if it's right as it looks like a bunch of transactions as if you were laundering money, but it seems the VA has fixed at least a little of their poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Getting a bunch of random small chunks here and there was par for the course for me

Some branches also gave out college funds/bonuses with your contract that was an extra hundred or two a month maybe

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So my daughter is using some of my GI Bill benefits. Where does she set up her deposit information? Her paperwork is processed so she should get funds soon.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Sat through a state (California) Calvet benefits briefing at work today. I had no idea about stuff like mortgage lending benefits (the state is the lender), business license discounts. I was there for the dependent tuition waiver stuff as I'm finally filing for VA disability 18 years after I got out so my kid can get her bachelor's, master's and phd for zero tuition.

Here's a giant guide of everything for those who live in California.

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Documents/Veteran_%20Resource_%20Book.pdf

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thats some good info thanks.

I also just got the news im 100% rated. If youve been on the fence about a lawyer for your rating appeal, hire one. Its still a long process but its so much quicker and the results literally made me the happiest Ive been in months. Been fighting for 2 years, and I realized I couldnt do it alone.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Thats some good info thanks.

I also just got the news im 100% rated. If youve been on the fence about a lawyer for your rating appeal, hire one. Its still a long process but its so much quicker and the results literally made me the happiest Ive been in months. Been fighting for 2 years, and I realized I couldnt do it alone.

I'm in the process for this now. I figure that since the lawyer has an interest in getting me as much money as possible, this is the way to go to make sure the VA doesn't try to say "yup, you're broken" and give me 0%

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I got denied for tinnitus but wound up with a way higher than expected total of 40% from other stuff so I didn't even bother appealing. I guess if I need hearing aids some day I'll cross that bridge with them. :shrug:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 19, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

I got denied for tinnitus

How?!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Im not rated for tinnitus actually.

I was denied a bunch of stuff though despite qualifying for it because people are goddamn stupid. Like, I was denied unemployablity despite meeting both requirements (neither are easily obtainable) because I was going to college.

Appeal it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

They said it wasn't supported by medical records and thus undiagnosed/not service connected. I'm certain it'd have been won on appeal but it wouldn't change my total rating so I didn't figure it was worth it.

Yup, spending thousands of hours around generators and listening to probable millions of rounds of automatic weapons fire (lol oops shooting a 240B and forget to put your earpro in) over the course of 6 years didn't do anything negative to hearing.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
WHAT?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

They said it wasn't supported by medical records and thus undiagnosed/not service connected. I'm certain it'd have been won on appeal but it wouldn't change my total rating so I didn't figure it was worth it.

Yup, spending thousands of hours around generators and listening to probable millions of rounds of automatic weapons fire (lol oops shooting a 240B and forget to put your earpro in) over the course of 6 years didn't do anything negative to hearing.

That's bullshit. I'd fight it on general loving principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

That's bullshit. I'd fight it on general loving principle.

It's worked out so well for you this far