Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Feel free to ask for questions and recommendations etc. but "how do I get from point A to point B" is something where there are a bunch of services specifically created to answer. Also do a modicum of research first. Every single question you ask is incredibly broad and implies you've done no research and are basically asking us to do it for you, which is why people thought you were trolling when you first started posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Feel free to ask for questions and recommendations etc. but "how do I get from point A to point B" is something where there are a bunch of services specifically created to answer. Also do a modicum of research first. Every single question you ask is incredibly broad and implies you've done no research and are basically asking us to do it for you, which is why people thought you were trolling when you first started posting.

I'm sorry for being a bad poster. :(

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

AirBnB still lists a lot of actual guesthouses, it's worth checking there still. I used it last time I was there after the ban and was fine. Recommendations:

A) If you're doing five days in Kyoto, split that into three Kyoto and two Nara. Nara is much chiller and worth staying in IMO. They're both nice but I definitely appreciated being able to stay in Nara and not have to rush back to Kyoto or Osaka in the evening.

B) Vegetarianism is doable but it's much more doable if you're flexible. Dashi is in literally everything and has fish in it. Accept this and there's a huge range of Japanese food you can eat. If you're being strict you're going to be a lot more annoyed and sad. If you're willing to go all the way to pescetarian while in Japan you will have zero issues with food. Avoiding meat is very easy, avoiding seafood products is not. I would really recommend this so you enjoy your trip more. If you don't, Buddhist temple food is all vegan and is pretty good, and not only served at temples.

C) Sake brewing season is winter so you'll be able to enjoy that. Don't bother in Tokyo, only thing to do there is go to the Fukumitsuya sake store there, it's my favorite brewery and you can sample everything and buy good poo poo. Kyoto and Nara have a ton of sake breweries, look on the googles. Every sake brewery I've ever seen is open to the public and you can go in for tastings, it's quite cheap. 500 yen for four or five samples is the norm. They don't all do tours but you'll be able to find one, and one is enough since they're all the same idea. Be sure to reserve in advance for the Yamazaki tour, you can't just walk in.

Hiroshima is cool and chill, if you have the budget for bullet train it's not that far. But I again wouldn't try to smash that into a day trip even though it is technically possible, stay overnight and you'll be more relaxed.

In Kyoto I stayed at a place called Ruida House, Nara I did Hiloki Hostel. Both were perfectly nice, cheap, and in pretty good locations. Private rooms in each.

Lots of good info, thanks! I'll likely end up staying 2 days in Nara, then, between my days in Kyoto and Osaka. I'll just have to postpone Hiroshima to a later trip (I want to go back and do Kyushu and the west anyway). I'm willing to accept that dashi/bonito flakes will be in my food, but I probably will still try to avoid full-on seafood if possible.

Excellent news about the sake, I wasn't aware that was the season. I'll be sure to check out Fukumitsuya while in Tokyo. Do you remember any especially good breweries in Kyoto/Nara by chance?

peanut posted:

Tsukiji closed/relocated last week sowait a little for trip reports of the new Toyosu market and post-Tsukiji shop status.

Go to frikkin Nikko, ya dingo!

Ah I see, that's a shame. I was hoping to go pick up a santoku and maybe a small knife as a Christmas present. Hopefully they'll be open again by the time I'm there so I can check them out.

Nikko seems cool, but it's pretty far out of the way up north. Would you suggest going there instead of Hakone, or in addition to it? I was thinking about Hakone so I could see Mt. Fuji and hit up the hot spring for a bit but I could do the latter in Nikko I guess.

Stringent posted:

You should check out Shimokitazawa and Koenji. Both are pretty accessible from Shinjuku.

Both of those neighborhoods seem chill and cool, thanks! They seem like they'd be nice places to hang out in before/after going into the city, so maybe I'll try to stay there instead of in Shinjuku. With the train, would it still be easy enough to get to the other places I want to see easily enough?

Also, anyone know similar neighborhoods in Kyoto/Osaka?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Keret posted:

Excellent news about the sake, I wasn't aware that was the season. I'll be sure to check out Fukumitsuya while in Tokyo. Do you remember any especially good breweries in Kyoto/Nara by chance?

I'd recommend the Tokyo Midtown Fukumitsuya store, they have English speaking staff.

Kyoto I am not sure, I didn't really visit any there but I know there are a ton in Fushimi. For Nara: https://www.visitnara.jp/lists-and-stories/list/taste-this-naras-top-5-sake-spots/ I went to Harushika, there are several around Naramachi so I'd just wander around popping into them all. They'll have these giant green balls hanging out front: http://koi-travel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/sugidama-green.jpg

Also recommend Bar Chillout, cool little dive. Bartender speaks okay English and it was the friendliest bar I've ever been to in Japan.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Keret posted:

Ah I see, that's a shame. I was hoping to go pick up a santoku and maybe a small knife as a Christmas present. Hopefully they'll be open again by the time I'm there so I can check them out.

It's just the fish market that's closed, all the shops are still there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I put in a lot of effort to get to Fuji-yoshida… and it was cloudy and we couldn't see poo poo. There's an awesome view from the shinkansen (unless it's cloudy.)
Nikko is always amazing.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

zmcnulty posted:

Just lol at your plebian rear end if you aren't simply asking your driver to take you

Who uses a driver these days? I have a helicopter drop me off right next to the office: https://www.mori.co.jp/en/company/press/release/2009/07/20090728150000001577.html

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Have a picture.

TBF the biggest problem with kamikochi is that it's often cloudy in the morning but holy poo poo when the clouds clear up.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Keret posted:

-I'm vegetarian (gasp), so any vegan/vegetarian food suggestions would be dope, especially if I can find veg ramen. Is vegetarian okinomiyaki a thing? Is good vegetarian sushi a thing?

I recommend that you use Happy Cow (https://www.happycow.net/) to find veg restaurants. The vegetarian restaurants in a normal Japanese restaurant range from nonexistant to bad. However every sizable city has a fair number of restaurants that cater to the vegetarian crowd, and they usually have fantastic food.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ntan1 posted:

Have a picture.

TBF the biggest problem with kamikochi is that it's often cloudy in the morning but holy poo poo when the clouds clear up.

Nice. Now go up.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Buddhist centers like Kyoto and Kamakura have the best selection of vegetarian restaurants

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Seconding happy cow.

Oh and get those ghibli tickets online

And when are you coming to hk? Drop me a line and we can go eat vegetarian I guess? I should have replied more but I’m a little jet lagged and tired

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd recommend the Tokyo Midtown Fukumitsuya store, they have English speaking staff.

Kyoto I am not sure, I didn't really visit any there but I know there are a ton in Fushimi. For Nara: https://www.visitnara.jp/lists-and-stories/list/taste-this-naras-top-5-sake-spots/ I went to Harushika, there are several around Naramachi so I'd just wander around popping into them all. They'll have these giant green balls hanging out front: http://koi-travel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/sugidama-green.jpg

Also recommend Bar Chillout, cool little dive. Bartender speaks okay English and it was the friendliest bar I've ever been to in Japan.

Cool, thanks! Now just to figure out how to transport all of the bottles of sake and whiskey I'll inevitably want to bring back across two international flights and the train...

Stringent posted:

It's just the fish market that's closed, all the shops are still there.

Ah, okay, good to know. Did you have a Matsumoto knife or was that someone else? Are their santokus good?

caberham posted:

Seconding happy cow.

Oh and get those ghibli tickets online

And when are you coming to hk? Drop me a line and we can go eat vegetarian I guess? I should have replied more but I’m a little jet lagged and tired

Happy Cow is a good resource, thanks. I set a reminder for the Ghibli museum for the 10th of November, so hopefully I can get them in time.

I'm planning to make a post in the China thread about HK for suggestions with more info, but I'll be there from the 19th through the 23rd, and that sounds great, I'd definitely be down. I don't have PMs, but I can email you or something?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Keret posted:

Ah, okay, good to know. Did you have a Matsumoto knife or was that someone else? Are their santokus good?

Masamoto, and yeah it's a lightsaber.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Does VIP service at a club include a bottle of liquor and mixers like in the states or does it just mean dedicated waitstaff?

On that note, is tipping waitstaff/bartenders still a no-no?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
At a low end club it means you get a seat to yourself and have to get drinks yourself.

At most clubs it means you have to buy a minimum one bottle per something (hour, 2 hours, 4 people, etc.).

At top end clubs you have to buy a minimum bottle/bottles + seat charge.

Any with bottle service you'll of course have wait staff, but none will be dedicated to your table. Typically either to the VIP area or to the entire floor.

Cheapest you'll find is 1000/person for the night for VIP seats all the way up to spending 500,000 yen or more if you want to drop that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Lol where is 1000 yen/person that is a drat steal

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Yeah, I meant waitstaff for the VIP area but if I'm pushing ¥500k I'd expect my own person. I'm not paying that though 😂

Thanks for the info. I think a dedicated place to park my rear end while on vacation sounds great.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol where is 1000 yen/person that is a drat steal

Black Horse - obv no drinks included, but you get the seat

Aexo posted:

Yeah, I meant waitstaff for the VIP area but if I'm pushing ¥500k I'd expect my own person. I'm not paying that though 😂

Thanks for the info. I think a dedicated place to park my rear end while on vacation sounds great.

Well you'd basically have one of several people in the area taking care of all tables and almost always someone standing there waiting to help someone.

If you have a budget and number of people someone can probably recommend somewhere.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Airline just hosed our flights home up so now I get in to Tokyo a day earlier than planned and our original hotel is fully booked for that night :suicide:

What's a decent chain/hotel/area in Tokyo that isn't ridiculous megabucks 10s-of-thousands-of-yen a night? We're going cheap for the rest of it since it's already booked and paid for but I wouldn't mind treating the wife for that first unexpected night now after the shitshow that rearranging the trip has ended up being.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Insist on going to the hotel anyway and shout THIS IS KILLING!! when the police remove you.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Pod hotel? :shrug:

I stayed in the 9 Hours pod hotel for one night in Shinjuku and it was pretty decent. The designer of the place totally looked at an IKEA catelog and went HAM on the feel of the place.

edit: Love Hotel? :v:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
there are worse ways to spend a night than in a nicer love hotel

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Travel insurance claim

If you are in haneda just pick some airport hotel near there

Or love hotel it

Or suburb hotel

Or .... hostel

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

mikeycp posted:

there are worse ways to spend a night than in a nicer love hotel

Yeah the love hotel we stayed in for hilarity's sake turned out to be by far the most comfortable option - we're both ~ 6' so actually fitting into the bed was a novelty.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you have trouble sleeping at all don't do a capsule, there's no soundproofing so you'll get to spend the entire night awake hearing other people snoring/having tuberculosis.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Capsules are gender segregated so I'm not sure why you guys are even mentioning it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sale on Banksy art posted:

Capsules are gender segregated so I'm not sure why you guys are even mentioning it.

3 guesses, and the first 2 don't count

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Airline just hosed our flights home up so now I get in to Tokyo a day earlier than planned and our original hotel is fully booked for that night :suicide:

What's a decent chain/hotel/area in Tokyo that isn't ridiculous megabucks 10s-of-thousands-of-yen a night? We're going cheap for the rest of it since it's already booked and paid for but I wouldn't mind treating the wife for that first unexpected night now after the shitshow that rearranging the trip has ended up being.

Where are you flying into, when are you arriving and what’s your budget? If it’s next week the answers are going to be different than if it’s in December or some time in 2019. And you say “what’s not mega bucks” but also “I wouldn’t mind treating the wife for that first night” so budget needs to be accommodated.

I would look at your budget and take the chance to stay somewhere nice and near one of the transit hubs (Tokyo Station, Shinagawa Station, Shinjuku). Especially if you already have a hotel picked out elsewhere. I don’t recommend people hop around to different hotels “to experience the city” (you can do that on your own without checking in and out with luggage) but if you are forced to, that’s a different situation so might as well take advantage.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Another vote for a love hotel. Bali An in Shinjuku is nice.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Get drunk and sleep on a park bench.

PS I dropped by toyosu on the way out of Tokyo yesterday. Besides being really far away there's not that much to see, although the tuna auctions were pretty cool.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So my passport was denied because I apparently gave them insufficient evidence that I am a U.S. citizen (even though I went over it step by step with the mail clerk). They now want at least five items over the past five years that have my name and photo/signature. Who the gently caress carries random outdated poo poo from five years ago? Such crap.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

punk rebel ecks posted:

So my passport was denied because I apparently gave them insufficient evidence that I am a U.S. citizen

Lol, how'd you manage that?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

So my passport was denied because I apparently gave them insufficient evidence that I am a U.S. citizen (even though I went over it step by step with the mail clerk). They now want at least five items over the past five years that have my name and photo/signature. Who the gently caress carries random outdated poo poo from five years ago? Such crap.

Wait what does this even mean. At immigration? They denied your US passport?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How old are you and where are you right now? Can you go to a passport office and sort it out in person?

Are you going to be deported if things go south?

Oh and my inlaws are enjoying Kyushu. The taxi driver is 75 years old and all his kids moved out to the cities and started their own families. The primary school is empty and the only PE lessons in highschool is running :smith:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stringent posted:

Lol, how'd you manage that?

I have a Muslim name.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have a Muslim name.

:trumppop:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My birth certificate was Abrahim which was a Muslim name given to me by some Arab family friends.

The school records changed my name to Abraham because my teachers thought it was a spelling mistake. So my citizenship card actually has 2 different spellings on it. And I still managed to get a passport

But I’m Canadian and the first thing my parents did for me after obtaining citizenship through immigration is to apply for a passport

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sounds to me like he never had a passport/his old one expired and he is getting a new one (in the US).
It's a hassle, so don't let it expire. If you are over 18 they give you one valid for 10 years anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Also if you're overseas and you renew at a consulate or embassy, you get automatic, free expedited service and it only takes like 3 days.

But then you end up in having to carry around 2 passports for a while while you transfer everything over and it blows.