Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

With all the streaming services for anime and other stuff if you add up the monthly costs it starts looking almost like the cost of traditional cable. Hmmmmmmm

I actually expected a minor correction in pricing as I dont think streaming costs reflect production costs but this splintering seems like a way to much of a correction and probably will wind up with a lot of services dying on the vine and leaving only maybe 1 or 2 services alive at the end. Basically I think all of online streaming is going to end up like the US comic direct market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If that's the case then barring serious idiocy CR/VRV is going to be the sole player on the market when everything shakes out simply because they have the best price/selection ratio and they aggressively license shows so they have something for everyone.

That is, for anime. Netflix will probably win out for regular television, it's them or Hulu.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

piracy ftw

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
vrv at least lets you watch stuff offline so if that's important to you it's a plus. that's the only reason i put it on my tablet, so i could load up shows overnight then have them available when my data was too slow to stream

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pinwiz11 posted:

So what you are saying is that VRV will soon be releasing the spyce?

I'm more sad about Dramafever closing down, not that I watched much of their content but I liked knowing it was there.

Wait wha?

Oh drat, I was still in the middle of a kdrama, and they billed me yesterday so I assumed it was still going. Well at least the show I was watching is also on viki and netflix. Just need to figure out which episode it was.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Somehow I've been stuck in a free trial loop on VRV after redeeming a $10 "please come back" gift card. I'll sign back up then after a free trial period would expire the charge disappears from my card and I'm no longer premium. I really haven't been bothered to report it.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Allarion posted:

Wait wha?

Oh drat, I was still in the middle of a kdrama, and they billed me yesterday so I assumed it was still going. Well at least the show I was watching is also on viki and netflix. Just need to figure out which episode it was.

Dramafever's own site is dead, but the Dramafever content on vrv hasn't been removed yet.

(also don't support viki)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I say this as someone who defaults to dubs unless certain actors I dislike are in the cast list:
Splitting the subscriptions into subs vs dubs is splitting a niche audience into two smaller niches, and out of them the Won’t Ever Listen To Dubs crowd is way more substantial; so Sony probably sees Funi as the loser to not deprive CR of popular series subtitled when they could go to war with CR instead using the popularity of those series.

So many people gather around such few titles that even if CR has more variety, it doesn’t matter because the service that has Hero Academia and Attack on Titan has an audience big enough to draw merchandising and movies and attention. That’s why I’ve watched Jump crossover games go from Japanese only licensing nightmare, to one of the only Japanese games imported by mainstream US game stores, to suddenly being licensed and translated to English. Because the audience for Jump poo poo is massive. CR can have more series, but most of them won’t end up in FunkoPOP form.

Just like console wars, the whole point is to assume your exclusives are gonna be cool enough that people who don’t want to buy everything will still buy yours.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Craptacular! posted:

I say this as someone who defaults to dubs unless certain actors I dislike are in the cast list:
Splitting the subscriptions into subs vs dubs is splitting a niche audience into two smaller niches, and out of them the Won’t Ever Listen To Dubs crowd is way more substantial; so Sony probably sees Funi as the loser to not deprive CR of popular series subtitled when they could go to war with CR instead using the popularity of those series.

So many people gather around such few titles that even if CR has more variety, it doesn’t matter because the service that has Hero Academia and Attack on Titan has an audience big enough to draw merchandising and movies and attention. That’s why I’ve watched Jump crossover games go from Japanese only licensing nightmare, to one of the only Japanese games imported by mainstream US game stores, to suddenly being licensed and translated to English. Because the audience for Jump poo poo is massive. CR can have more series, but most of them won’t end up in FunkoPOP form.

Just like console wars, the whole point is to assume your exclusives are gonna be cool enough that people who don’t want to buy everything will still buy yours.

I’m sure everyone knows why Sony/Funi did it. It’s just nobody likes it.

When streaming first started there was very few companies that did it, and they had a ton of content. People loved this because it meant they could watch a ton of content at a fraction of the price of cable. Now that streaming has become a megabucks business, everyone wants their own piece of the pie and it’s pretty much becoming tv 2.0. except now you now pay a bunch of companies some money a month instead of one company a lot of money a month. I pay for HIDIVE, CR, Netflix, and Amazon (Amazon though I already had because I like prime shipping on things). That’s a bunch of money for just anime. Now add a bunch on top for other types of services and I easily get why people are going back to piracy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To their credit, CR is free/ad-supported if you don’t need to be part of some kind of forums or social media based watercooler such as this thread. If you’re a socially broken shut in with no friends (and this is anime we’re talking about, so...) you can be one week behind and it’s not that important.

I mostly started pirating stuff because CR offers no ad supported client on Apple TV like they do with their Android-based clients.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The thing is, there are a billion anime series coming out every season and no one really knows what will take off in the West and what won't, so from a risk perspective, every service is on the same playing field and most people are gonna be fine with whatever they've already been using because, hey look, another bunch of new series!

FUNimation isn't in a position where whatever they say will be popular becomes popular just because of their brand... they need DBZ and MHA more than DBZ and MHA need them

at the end of the day, ellation owns VRV and Crunchyroll, and they've essentially swapped one major anime provider with another, so in terms of catalog size and star potential, nothing really has changed. FUNi doesn't have any guarantee of getting 'the next MHA' any more than Crunchy or HIDIVE or Netflix or Amazon do

e: i think the only real concern was the possibility of Amazon or Netflix eating a ton of money just to destroy the competition which is not going to happen at this point

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 19, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I made a bunny girl senpai thread now that the first arc is over.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I can only speak for myself, but swapping HIDIVE for Funi is an improvement to my VRV sub. We'll see what happens when the next round of shows come out but for now I can still see getting $2 of entertainment from HIDIVE and other channels to make up the difference vs CR.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VRV not available in my region, nice

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
In any given anime season it seems like most of the stuff I watch ends up on Crunchyroll. Do they get the lion's share of anime or is it just the shows I happen to favor? I'm surprised Funimation doesn't get a larger amount considering how long they've been in the business.

Edit: Actually I'm not so sure about that, it could be a number of those shows were part of the partnership.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Bakarina getting an anime adaptation

http://moetron.net/post/179202237870/an-anime-adaptation-for-satoru-yamaguchis-light

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yeah, that was pretty much destined to happen.

You know, off the top of my head, I think every manga that I've wanted to be adapted has or will become an anime, it's such a strange feeling of satisfaction.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is the US the only place where VRV is actually available?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coaaab posted:

You know, off the top of my head, I think every manga that I've wanted to be adapted has or will become an anime, it's such a strange feeling of satisfaction.
when will we get the octave anime

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Coaaab posted:

When will we get the following?

Oyasumi Punpun
Dune the OVA series
Jojo Part 7
Lucifer Biscuit Hammer
The Breaker series
an Anime industry from Taiwan

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't think the world is ready for oyasumi punpun to be animated

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What I wouldn't give for a Dune OVA series made in the 80s/90s by the LotGH team.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A strong cover there. Though where is her clearly still visible scar?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
All I know is that the Funimation PS3 app is one of the worst things I've ever used and might have fewer frames per second than Drakengard 3. If the stuff I like goes to them then I'll go to nyaa.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Coaaab posted:

How about the feeling of liking a decades old manga with long stalled translations that will only get an anime over the wishes of the mangaka.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:toot:

quote:

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
CloverWorks | Souichi Masui | Masahiro Yokotani | Comedy, Romance, School | Light Novel | Oct 4, 2018
There's a rumor about a mysterious phenomenon call "puberty syndrome." For example, Sakuta Azusagawa is a high school student who suddenly sees a bunny girl appear in front of him. The girl is actually a girl named Mai Sakurajima, who is Sakuta's upperclassman who is also a famous actress who has gone on hiatus from the entertainment industry. For some reason, the people around Mai cannot see her bunny-girl figure. Sakuta sets out to solve this mystery, and as he spends time with Mai, he learns her secret feelings. Other heroines who have "puberty syndrome" start to appear in front of Sakuta.
PV
Thread

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

chumbler posted:

A strong cover there. Though where is her clearly still visible scar?

I could be wrong, but I think they stopped drawing the scar after the time jump to high school.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
pretty sure they mentioned the scar healing over the years

that was a fun manga

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The 7th Guest posted:

waiiiiiiit

wait

hidive has Dennoh coil

and nadia

Dennou Coil is probably my top underrated anime of all time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Viridiant posted:

In any given anime season it seems like most of the stuff I watch ends up on Crunchyroll. Do they get the lion's share of anime or is it just the shows I happen to favor? I'm surprised Funimation doesn't get a larger amount considering how long they've been in the business.

Edit: Actually I'm not so sure about that, it could be a number of those shows were part of the partnership.

They got a lions share because of the partnership they had with Funi. CR got anything Funi got, but sub only, and Funi dubbed a bunch of it and the dubs were exclusive to them.

Now that the partnership is over we will definitely see CR not get as much stuff as they use too, as Funi will definitely flex some muscle to get what they perceive would be some big titles. That’s not to say that some licensors will probably do streaming deals where it goes onto multiple platforms if they think it will be a big enough hit (Pop Team Epic ended up on all three streaming services for example).

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Coaaab posted:

Still waiting on Sleepy Princess and Vibrating Owlcat. :)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Araki posted:

I could be wrong, but I think they stopped drawing the scar after the time jump to high school.

Phobophilia posted:

pretty sure they mentioned the scar healing over the years

that was a fun manga

Guys come on, remember the lore!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Grouchio posted:

When will we get the following?

Oyasumi Punpun
Dune the OVA series
Jojo Part 7
Lucifer Biscuit Hammer
The Breaker series
an Anime industry from Taiwan

Add a proper Berserk adaption to that list and we’re good.

A Dune anime would be the best...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Burnt Poffin posted:

Still waiting on Sleepy Princess and Vibrating Owlcat. :)
I kinda want to see a Komi-san anime happen, but I also feel that whichever studio gets it, they're probably half-rear end it kind of like TMS Entertainment did with My Monster Secret and I don't know if my heart can deal with two of my fave rom-commy (heh) mangas becoming weak-rear end animes. :ohdear:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do remember thinking Destruction Flag Otome was unusually well-suited to an animated adaptation. Should be fun.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Wark Say posted:

I kinda want to see a Komi-san anime happen, but I also feel that whichever studio gets it, they're probably half-rear end it kind of like TMS Entertainment did with My Monster Secret and I don't know if my heart can deal with two of my fave rom-commy (heh) mangas becoming weak-rear end animes. :ohdear:

:same: Plz Isekai me to the world where My Monster Secret was top-tier.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
cant wait to see the najimi bathroom joke animated

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ccs posted:

GS worldbuilding is bad because it presents the people living in the world as having the knowledge base of RPG players who think dragons are the hard enemies and goblins are just to gain exp. Whereas if this is supposed to be a believable world people would see goblins as a big threat. Cause of all the dead young people

The Gods who made the world are explicitly presented as D&D players invested in the central conflict between the forces of light and the demon lords and are completely uninterested in the socialogical ramifications of the grim dark setting they threw together to serve as a background. It doesn't make sense because the powers that be just don't care enough to make it do so.

If you're a teenager playing with your friends in Mom's basement that's fine. Nobody expects the DM to present a detailed monograph on the society they created. If your an NPC living in that society though it sucks rear end.

EDIT: And of course a couple of pages later I see that posting about it was made illegal. <_<

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 20, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Gods who made the world are explicitly presented as D&D players invested in the central conflict between the forces of light and the demon lords and are completely uninterested in the socialogical ramifications of the grim dark setting they threw together to serve as a background. It doesn't make sense because the powers that be just don't care enough to make it do so.

If you're a teenager playing with your friends in Mom's basement that's fine. Nobody expects the DM to present a detailed monograph on the society they created. If your an NPC living in that society though it sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is UzaMaid worth watching despite the loli obsession?