Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

M_Sinistrari posted:

Everyone knew he was a sleeze with women so the "Good old Sammy" comments were more 'there he goes again, here's my not surprised face'.

Apologies if this has been covered already, but watching Hawkeye in MASH, now?

Yeesh. He's like Quagmire with a scalpel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Koalas Massacre posted:

Niles would literally get nosebleeds if he so much as told a white lie because he hated to betray his ethics. They had a lot of discussion of ethics and philosophy but I think it got lost because the dialogue was so snappy and it was still rooted in sitcom hijinks.

But yeah ethics/philosophy were a running theme, Niles nosebleeds, Martin being a cop (there was a whole episode about whether or not it was ok for Martin to lie on the stand to put away a guy he "knew" was 100% guilty) HIPAA/confidentiality came up constantly including Niles and Daphne's first and second big fights, the Noble Lie, Absurdism etc

Show also introduced me to Jung. Good show.

Didn't Martin decide it was in fact the right thing?

Also, fun fact: OG Law and Order did the same plotline, but with Lenny Briscoe (AKA the Avenging Angel of the Five Burrroughs, AKA The Man who Would Put Baby In The Corner).

It's funny having this conversation when I'm currently listening to Last Podcast on the Left's mini-series about how hard the West Memphis 3 got railroaded. The cops lied so much (especially with Jesse Misskelly) people thought they were part rug.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Oct 18, 2018

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Uhh i think you’ll find that giles has the voice of an angel.

I mean, yes. Have you heard his album though? because it’s very... You know, I don’t even know what it is.

Here’s a track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzZtkKmlTE

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

M_Sinistrari posted:

My understanding when the show was happening was Sam was never really looked up to for anything past his baseball stories. Everyone knew he was a sleeze with women so the "Good old Sammy" comments were more 'there he goes again, here's my not surprised face'.

There’s an element of wish-fulfillment in there too. Cliff and Norm seem to have a lot of fun living vicariously through Sam’s exploits, but yeah the show really doesn’t try to hide anyone’s flaws, although Coach is a perfect human being.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Remember that one episode of Wonder Showzen where Mother Nature gets a sex change?

Yeah, for a show that was usually so good about punching up, that episode was punching the dirt.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

fruit BOO!ts posted:

There’s an element of wish-fulfillment in there too. Cliff and Norm seem to have a lot of fun living vicariously through Sam’s exploits, but yeah the show really doesn’t try to hide anyone’s flaws, although Coach is a perfect human being.

Phone rings, Coach answers
Coach: (to bar crowd) He's looking for an Ernie Pantusso.
Sam: That's you, Coach.
Coach: (to person on phone) Speaking!

Everybody on Cheers was a pathetic loser, save for perhaps Woody.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_vWpTAra8

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
lets see if you wanna be called a pathetic loser if you live long enough to start losing your memory :colbert:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Carla?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The thing about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is that casting clearly seeks out people with musical, even Broadway, experience. So they're able to naturally hit notes and can focus on being directed to be funny.

Every other show has comedic actors singing in their musical episodes, so the actors are focused on singing, not on selling the comedy. That's why CEG is so drat good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrytvZc5Tew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gVOeTHoOXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrynHRC0pA

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Oct 19, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend chat:
I'll avoid the links because I've only just finished season 1, but I like that it deconstructs the romcom narrative, like Rebecca's realisation that in her personal narrative she is the bad guy (although she's a bit too hard on herself imo, at that point in the story she's more Anastasia from Cinderella 3, because she realises her mistakes), and Paula's brief stint of power early on foreshadowing how terrifying she becomes by Season 1's end, becoming so obsessed with Rebecca's life that she even weasels herself into controlling things like Valencia's yoga class schedule. Of course, like Rebecca she catches herself, realises how weird things have gotten and is starting to take steps to improve her own life rather than obsessing over her friend's.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Phone rings, Coach answers
Coach: (to bar crowd) He's looking for an Ernie Pantusso.
Sam: That's you, Coach.
Coach: (to person on phone) Speaking!

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_vWpTAra8

Coach had brain damage, you jerk.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend chat:
I'll avoid the links because I've only just finished season 1, but I like that it deconstructs the romcom narrative, like Rebecca's realisation that in her personal narrative she is the bad guy (although she's a bit too hard on herself imo, at that point in the story she's more Anastasia from Cinderella 3, because she realises her mistakes), and Paula's brief stint of power early on foreshadowing how terrifying she becomes by Season 1's end, becoming so obsessed with Rebecca's life that she even weasels herself into controlling things like Valencia's yoga class schedule. Of course, like Rebecca she catches herself, realises how weird things have gotten and is starting to take steps to improve her own life rather than obsessing over her friend's.

I just learned there's a Cinderella 3.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Crazy ex-girlfriend is fantastic. Even if you’re not into musicals check it out.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is that the one that reveals that the evil stepmother was actually an evil witch with the power to manipulate time? Never seen it, but it sounded kinda badass for a Disney direct-to-DVD movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Coach had brain damage, you jerk.

He would deliberately take a baseball to the head to get sympathy from women in the crowd.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

He would deliberately take a baseball to the head to get sympathy from women in the crowd.

Chicks did scars jelly brain.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Randalor posted:

Is that the one that reveals that the evil stepmother was actually an evil witch with the power to manipulate time? Never seen it, but it sounded kinda badass for a Disney direct-to-DVD movie.

She steals the Fairy Godmother's wand. It is badass.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I just learned there’s a Cinderella 2

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Randalor posted:

She steals the wand from the fairy godmother. It's actually the best Disney sequel and pretty cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disney's direct-to-video/DVD sequel phase was a dark time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mister Kingdom posted:

And he was good at it too

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pick posted:

She steals the wand from the fairy godmother. It's actually the best Disney sequel and pretty cool.

Eh, Pratchett did it better.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disney's direct-to-video/DVD sequel phase was a dark time.

the 00's were a very strange time

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Torquemada posted:

Joffrey didn’t retire rich from GoT, all you guys who don’t know what tv actors in second tier roles get paid. He could maybe buy a house. A small one, in an ok town.

He's allegedly worth US$8m.

Depends on how much of that is liquid, though. Interest rates are incredibly low right now so like, £1m liquid would get you £5k a year in a regular bank account. Or you put money into a savings account in which case you could get up to £30k a year after taxes (but not so easy to access it).

$8m is about £6m, so in the unlikely event it was all liquid you'd be earning more (after tax) on the interest even in a basic account than the median salary (before tax) in the UK.

Realistically though, buying a few houses and hiring an agency to rent them out would be much more profitable and you'd literally never have to do anything again.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Even with no interest you could live very comfortably on that amount of money the rest of your life. Hell you could do pretty well on just one million. It would obviously dwindle as you spend it but really, who cares?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember when I worked out how many whores and drugs Daniel Radcliffe could buy with his take from just one Harry Potter movie and how long they could keep him 'occupied' assuming a very modest investment return of 6% per annum.

It was an astonishing amount.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Oct 19, 2018

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I remember being excited to the point of not sleeping about Return of Jaffar and the crushing disappointment has set me up for life since

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

When I first watched Return of Jafar I was so young that the fact movies could have “quality” wasn’t something that I fully understood (it... came out before I was born) so I watched it a few times anyway because hey, the shapes and colors are moving on screen, that’s good enough for a 3 year old. Anyway my point is I think “2-3 year olds who don’t understand movies can be bad” is the only demographic capable of enjoying a straight to DVD Disney sequel.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Cinderella 3 is no-poo poo better than the original. Cinderella 2 is stupid and direct to VHS level garbage.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember when I worked out how many whores and drugs Daniel Radcliffe could buy with his take from just one Harry Potter movie and how long they could keep him 'occupied' assuming a very modest investment return of 6% per annum.

It was an astonishing amount.

I remember Viggo Mortensen mentioning that he was practically broke only a few years after the end of LotR.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zinkraptor posted:

When I first watched Return of Jafar I was so young that the fact movies could have “quality” wasn’t something that I fully understood (it... came out before I was born) so I watched it a few times anyway because hey, the shapes and colors are moving on screen, that’s good enough for a 3 year old. Anyway my point is I think “2-3 year olds who don’t understand movies can be bad” is the only demographic capable of enjoying a straight to DVD Disney sequel.

I liked Aladdin and the King of Thieves.

It was not until years later that I realised all the songs in Return of Jafar had the same music as the songs in the first movie with the lyrics changed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Davros1 posted:

I remember Viggo Mortensen mentioning that he was practically broke only a few years after the end of LotR.

I want to believe that's because Hollywood accounting screwed him over and not because he blew all his money on islands and $100,000 bottles of water.

Since, you know, LotR didn't make money

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Randalor posted:

Please tell me this is true. My daughter has a few Cinderella books. Two of them are about her losing bits of jewelry.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I remember that being good! But I was like 5 so there you go.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

CrRoMa posted:

I remember being excited to the point of not sleeping about Return of Jaffar and the crushing disappointment has set me up for life since

Dan Castellaneta is pretty impressive in it considering the shoes he had to fill.

That's right Dan Castellaneta is the genie. So how many of you didn't realise that because you watched it as a kid and didn't know who he was?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

I want to believe that's because Hollywood accounting screwed him over and not because he blew all his money on islands and $100,000 bottles of water.

Since, you know, LotR didn't make money

I know profit participation is a thing (which is why I think Bruce Willis still has the highest payday for a single movie - he got a cut of the box office take from The Sixth Sense) but surely in that case the cast's salary would've just been part of the budget?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Don't actors who are in big franchises now have to sign long term contracts that don't pay all that well (unless they're already a huge name.)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Watching an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and it's with Garry Shandling and it's called 'It's Great that Garry Shandling is Still Alive', so that aged quickly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Don't actors who are in big franchises now have to sign long term contracts that don't pay all that well (unless they're already a huge name.)

Probably.

The first Lord of the Rings movie came out 17 years ago, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Digging around I can't find much about LotR salaries but odds are Elijah Wood and Ian McKellen (maybe Orlando Bloom or Hugo Weaving as well) were the only ones making serious bank before the first film was a success. Once the movies blew up and they became irreplaceable the other actors might have been able to demand more money for reshoots/interviews/DVD extras/etc, though I doubt anyone who wasn't already a huge star made more than a few million.