Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didnt they move the whole ROS team on to other projects because it turned out they were talented at game making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

euphronius posted:

Didnt they move the whole ROS team on to other projects because it turned out they were talented at game making.

Unlike the rest of Blizzard in the last 15 years. :downsrim:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

euphronius posted:

Some of the RoS team devs were shuffled off to Destiny to help fix its own itemization issues at the time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Unlike the rest of Blizzard in the last 15 years. :downsrim:

Didn’t overwatch turn out ok? Idk I don’t play .. whatever genre that is.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

euphronius posted:

Didn’t overwatch turn out ok? Idk I don’t play .. whatever genre that is.
Yeah. It's really well made from a technical stand point, and there's nothing wrong with the gameplay. The out of game features are real lacking, but that's standard blizzard at this point, and the gameplay is a bit watered down but that likely is a big part of why it exploded in popularity. The only other Blizzard game since wc3:tft you can say both of those positive things about is World of Warcraft. Maybe Hearthstone, but its engine seems to hold it back because they've added almost nothing awesome to it during its 5+ year, money-printing life. The actual playing of a card game in hearthstone is pretty good and that's what ultimately matters I suppose.

SC2's engine leaves a lot to be desired. HotS uses SC2's engine despite it being a meh RTS engine for 2010+ and an awful MOBA engine in any year. That's not to attack the gameplay of sc2 or HotS. I think HotS is real underrated relative to how well executed the gameplay is, but its engine and non-gameplay choices have held it back since day one.

D3 is highly flawed but real fun how it is now and it has been fun since they added torments, paragon, and ubers.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 18, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

OhFunny posted:

I wouldn't be excited for a Diablo 2 Remastered announcement that kept everything 1:1 like StarCraft. I never played it when I was young so I've got no nostalgia for it and I've bounced off it when trying to play it in recent years. There's just so many QoL improvements like item comparison that I miss and the gameplay just doesn't feel as good when I've played ARPGs made 10+ years after it's release.

:same: It has not aged well and I don't have all night to play Mephisto/Baal runs to infinity just to get a bunch of lovely garbage anymore. I like current D3 because it rewards the player often enough to keep it exciting. Vanilla D3 and D2 were way too grindy and boring looking back. D2 was cool with all the randomized layouts and therefore exploration, and dark tone. The story wasn't anything great but it wasn't ridiculous to the levels of D3.

The only thing I don't really like about D3 now are the "meta" 4 man things but that's easily avoided, and wish there was even more build diversity. Would be nice if LoN was worthwhile, or make more of the sets viable. Different and distinct play styles/skills from each other which I think they've tried and done decent at, I just would like to see that fleshed out even more if they're going to keep doing updates to the game. And update the worthless legendaries that nobody uses to make then worthwhile or at least change the gameplay somehow.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

:same: It has not aged well and I don't have all night to play Mephisto/Baal runs to infinity just to get a bunch of lovely garbage anymore. I like current D3 because it rewards the player often enough to keep it exciting. Vanilla D3 and D2 were way too grindy and boring looking back. D2 was cool with all the randomized layouts and therefore exploration, and dark tone. The story wasn't anything great but it wasn't ridiculous to the levels of D3.

The only thing I don't really like about D3 now are the "meta" 4 man things but that's easily avoided, and wish there was even more build diversity. Would be nice if LoN was worthwhile, or make more of the sets viable. Different and distinct play styles/skills from each other which I think they've tried and done decent at, I just would like to see that fleshed out even more if they're going to keep doing updates to the game. And update the worthless legendaries that nobody uses to make then worthwhile or at least change the gameplay somehow.
The rat run para meta is boring and mildly awful compared to "make a reasonably efficient 4p group and slam out something you can in 4 minutes or less".

The group meta is actually more flexible than people think, and zdps are a godsend for people who are time strapped. It would be good if they intentionally specialized more builds into being rune guardian killers or trash killers and maybe intentionally threw some of the potential zdps builds a bone. zwd dying removed my main class from the game. zbarb is real fun as long as it's the charge everywhere, keep ip up, and pull stuff version. zwiz is actually really good and if they were still doing balance changes could maybe become relevant just due to a new dps dominating, or maybe they need a tiny bit more.

Monk as a class needs some QoL changes.

Really, the biggest problem is stagnation. Every season is roughly the same if they don't make a ton of balance changes to shift the meta or change the underlying systems. Look at how much GRs, or even torment levels, changed from early RoS.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 18, 2018

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Honestly, I think I'd rather have more D3 expansions than D4.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Realistic things I'd like to see for Diablo 3:

- A new class

- Add new runes or skills to existing classes (maybe raise the cap to 75 or 80 to fit this in?)

- New items and sets for each class

- Some new cube recipes and other crafting

- Something new with rifts I'm too dumb to think of

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

- remove COE and rebalance as necessary

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

euphronius posted:

- remove COE and rebalance as necessary

CoE hasn’t been game breaking or mandatory for like 4 seasons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CoE is fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm fine with it if it were equal across classes. Kind of crappy that Necro has like 3 rotations vs crusader who has 4 or 5. I don't push high grs anyway so it's not a big sticking point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Everybody has 4 except for Monk (5) and Necro (3), which in practice does not even matter since high pushing GR Monks still use CoE and Necros don't.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm fine with it if it were equal across classes. Kind of crappy that Necro has like 3 rotations vs crusader who has 4 or 5. I don't push high grs anyway so it's not a big sticking point.

Even when that was relevant Crusaders were still pushing the highest GRs over Bone Lance Necro because Condemn was so OP.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

CoE isn't bad because it's overpowered, it's bad because it encourages really dumb, fiddly, and unfun styles of gameplay.

Not that it... really matters at this point considering D3's on life support maintenance mode these days, but y'know.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Counterpoint: rounding up loads of enemies and deleting them during your super-power buff time owns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Even if you just completely ignore CoE it's still 50% more damage and one of the few examples of a legendary in this game that actually requires you to pay attention for half a second. It's not going to make or break your GR run 99% of the time. Nobody ever complains about the randomness of Oculus ring circles from your follower when that's every bit as important to maximizing damage in upper solo GR.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Asimo posted:

CoE isn't bad because it's overpowered, it's bad because it encourages really dumb, fiddly, and unfun styles of gameplay.

Not that it... really matters at this point considering D3's on life support maintenance mode these days, but y'know.

This is a subjective thing, lots of people like the game telling them how to play. It took me 4 years of playing D3 before I rolled DH or Monk because those just weren’t fun for me.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It felt like Necro DLC was an experiment to see if they could keep a team around to generate new character + content packs on a semi-regular basis but it didn't come out on schedule, or didn't sell well enough, or both.

It has always seemed to me that the Necro DLC, new tilesets, seasonal items, etc were scavenged from the ruins of a previously planned second expansion that was abandoned at some point. They basically kept some of the assets they had previously developed and released them slowly to keep people interested.

Once they realized that the rmah wasnt going to be the money printing machine they thought it would be, they abandoned d3, at least on paper.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

The only thing I didn’t like about this season, and I’ve been away for a while, was being shoe horned into using the compass rose combo. I found this absolutely gorgeous Eye of Etlich with 10/75 crit and 20 area damage I tried to rock with a Unity on my WD and I could do 91/92 in HC but then had to hang it up to go further. :(

The poo poo thing about it is most of the time you’re just running around anyways dodging stuff and not getting the damage bonus, and in some gravy grift it pays off with easy mods like it did on my push to 95.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I never touched Diablo before this, so D2 has no nostalgia factor for me. But I'd still be willing to give it a try.

Dameius posted:

But if all those job postings were split for D4 and a D2 project then they could release D2 some point next year and probably still hit a 2028 D4 release by having the D2 team roll over to D4 after they ship it.

Do you really think that there would be enough interest in Diablo 10 years from now that D4 would work? I mean, WoW being around for 14 years is an abberation, not the norm, but I suppose anything is possible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There was like 12 years between D2 and D3 and D3 broke all kinds of PC game sales records at release (and then held them until Overwatch broke them all again.)

And that was on top of the people who got free copies for being subbed to WoW through an end of expansion content drought.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kheldarn posted:

Do you really think that there would be enough interest in Diablo 10 years from now that D4 would work? I mean, WoW being around for 14 years is an abberation, not the norm, but I suppose anything is possible.

Diablo 2 -> 3 and SC -> SC2 were both gaps of a decade, so at this point it's be more of an outlier for it not to be a 10 year cycle

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I meant 2020, but yeah. I always kind of figured with the job openings it would be announced Blizzcon next year for a release the following.

For a hot minute it looked like maybe they'd announce it this year, but they just put the kibosh on that.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Can't believe people are still making doom clones to this day.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mymla posted:

Can't believe people are still making doom clones to this day.
The Doom reboot is legitimately one of the most fun shooters to come out in years, too.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

Yes. The reason being the genre is nowhere near tapped out of ideas, and even if it were you just have to execute well on existing ideas and it will print money. Think about the boring, iterative garbage we are subjected to.

Plus, marketing will bring up that "finally diablo is back" and suddenly there's this public image of something important returning in a big way. It works all the time for total garbage that wasn't even that popular, fun, or cool in the first place.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 19, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
TBH, I'm not sure why there aren't more diablo clones. There's been offshoot evolutions, but there's virtually no high profile competition to D3 (I consider POE and GD fairly niche).

Like, I get RTSs dying out, but the Diablo formula is lowest common denominator stuff (I mean that in the kindest, most positive way possible).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

TBH, I'm not sure why there aren't more diablo clones. There's been offshoot evolutions, but there's virtually no high profile competition to D3 (I consider POE and GD fairly niche).

Like, I get RTSs dying out, but the Diablo formula is lowest common denominator stuff (I mean that in the kindest, most positive way possible).

Torchlight/Torchlight 2 did okay, especially when T2 was eating D3's lunch for a bit there, but D3 has the backing of Blizzard and in terms of "knowing your account is still going to be there" D2 is the undisputed and undisputable champion, and D3 will likely have the exact same longevity support-wise.

Adding to that, even D3 on life support is probably enough to massively consume any market for "Large-Budget Diablo-like ARPGs" unless whatever newcomer manages to do something substantially new and different.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
is it cynical to think that the only reason they have a section of blizzcon for diablo is because they want to talk a ton about the switch game since it releases the same day and want to drum up sales and there will be nothing else?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yes

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Cynical? Yeah, a little. Accurate? Yeah, probably.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vomik posted:

is it cynical to think that the only reason they have a section of blizzcon for diablo is because they want to talk a ton about the switch game since it releases the same day and want to drum up sales and there will be nothing else?

I guarantee they're going to need to block the eshop on the convention center wifi lol

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

Rinkles posted:

It's probably hard to justify a big budget diablo clone unless someone can figure out a recurring revenue stream from it. Blizzard themselves couldn't figure it out once they got rid of the auction house. PoE probably does it best, but I can already imagine the outcry if a company tried tacking the PoE revenue model onto a $60 game. Jim Sterling might kill himself just so he could start rolling over in his grave.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Granstein posted:

It's probably hard to justify a big budget diablo clone unless someone can figure out a recurring revenue stream from it. Blizzard themselves couldn't figure it out once they got rid of the auction house.

Did they actually try?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dameius posted:

Don't try to join the lljk clan, just join the community of the same name. Though this point into the season the amount of goons on at any given point are going to be small.

What's the invite link for it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

There isn't one. Just search "communities" and join lljk. No invite needed

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Did you know that even with ten thousand dexterity, Unhallowed One just can't seem to clear mid-90s greater rifts without the monsters being skeletons and zombies and a few outdoor zones with high density?

I'm working on a level 100 gem to augment my bow with because it's not getting any better than what it is short of being primal (otherwise I'd settle with an 80), but it's just getting frustrating.

https://www.d3planner.com/661096008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
d3 might not have been the best game for what people wanted diablo 3 to be, but the first weeks/months or whatever it was between the release and the first HC inferno diablo kill was really, really fun. i would want d4 just to re-create that