Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think my least favourite Clint Eastwood western (I feel like I've seen all of them - there might be a couple I've missed which don't occur to me) is Joe Kidd. It's kind of humdrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Mamet's Heist is awesome. It also makes a great triple-feature with House of Games and The Spanish Prisoner, although it's the most "Hollywood" movie of the three.

Another great thriller from that era is 52 Pick Up based on an Elmore Leonard novel but I may be biased because I love Roy Scheider unabashedly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jet sanchEz posted:

but I may be biased because I love Roy Scheider unabashedly.

As one should.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Hackman is the mvp of the movie in a lot of ways. Probably one of the top "Best Supporting Actor" performances of the 90s, along with Tommy Lee Jones in Fugitive and (sigh) Spacey in Usual Suspects.

Something I love about the script for Unforgiven is that Gene Hackman would unironically and definitively be the hero of the movie if it was made a few decades earlier and it wouldn't even require changing anything about his character. But that plus Hackman himself he really is something in it.

Basebf555 posted:

It's also very well set up by something Munny tells the kid earlier about how the one who draws fastest isn't always the one left the standing. The one who can stay cool and make each shot count usually wins, and that's exactly what happens.

Eastwood just laying on the staying cool really makes that climax amazing too. Because you can tell the scary thing about him isn't the burning folks houses down threats and stuff, it's that unlike everyone else he's able to just stone cold obliterate those folks and not even give a poo poo. When he adds the "...and burn their god damned house down!" to the end you can tell it's like a routine that's coming back to him and not the words of like some psycho berserker guy. It makes it even more chilling.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 19, 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

As one should.

Finding out Roy Scheider was in Marathon Man is what finally made me watch it.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you've not seen David Mamet's Heist (there are loads of movies called "Heist" so make sure you get the right one) then I heartily recommend it. Great show from Danny DeVito as the villain as well. It makes an enjoyable triple-feature with The Score (starring Robert De Niro, Edward Norton and Brando in his last ever movie performance) and Confidence with a number of actors you recognise even though I only remember Rachel Weisz.

I have a vague memory of seeing a heist movie - possibly Mamet's Heist that had a scene where a mob boss was taking a call on a cellphone in a jacuzzi and after a good minute or so a hooker burst out from the water with a snorkel because she'd been giving him a blowjob all along. Is that the movie I'm thinking of?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think that's Mamet's Heist but that sounds familiar to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think that might have been in Rodney Dangerfield's Back to School, actually.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Anyone here with a netflix account should probably check out The Night Comes For Us

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

Anyone here with a netflix account should probably check out The Night Comes For Us

Hell yea I totally forgot that came out this week. It delivers?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Hell yea I totally forgot that came out this week. It delivers?

It’s more brutal than I remember The Raids being. Not quite as well shot and the story is nothing but if you’re looking for bodily destruction then yes it delivers very well

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

It’s more brutal than I remember The Raids being. Not quite as well shot and the story is nothing but if you’re looking for bodily destruction then yes it delivers very well

Basically a perfect description of Headshot, the director's previous film. Have you seen that?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Basically a perfect description of Headshot, the director's previous film. Have you seen that?

No I’ll add it to the watch list

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

No I’ll add it to the watch list

Stars Iko Uwais, so yea get on that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think that's Mamet's Heist but that sounds familiar to me.

Isn’t there something like that in The Last Boy Scout?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

OH poo poo AND IT'S BY THE HEADSHOT GUY TOO

Headshot loving owned so I'm hype for this

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Man Headshot sure loves to show the murder of random innocents. Left a bad taste in my mouth. How's The Night Comes For Us in that regard?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

married but discreet posted:

Man Headshot sure loves to show the murder of random innocents. Left a bad taste in my mouth. How's The Night Comes For Us in that regard?

I'm about an hour in and so far there has been massive psychological trauma but physical violence. Meryl from Metal Gear Solid 4 just showed up though.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Man, just give Julie Estelle her own movie already.

married but discreet posted:

The movie kicks off with the murder of random innocents. After that, though, everybody is a combatant.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
*Runs breathlessly into the thread*

Go see The Night Comes for Us, unless you're some kind of lovely dickhead who hates good things.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Snowman_McK posted:

*Runs breathlessly into the thread*

Go see The Night Comes for Us, unless you're some kind of lovely dickhead who hates good things.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/19/18001542/the-night-comes-for-us-review-netflix

Iko and Joe Talsim are in this movie. Make this an instant must watch.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's insane.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think my least favourite Clint Eastwood western (I feel like I've seen all of them - there might be a couple I've missed which don't occur to me) is Joe Kidd. It's kind of humdrum.

High Plains Drifter, man

Wheat Loaf posted:

Were there any really obvious Terminator rip-offs in the late 80s? The only one that occurs to me off the top of my head is Warlock, which is a kind of reverse Terminator that's a fantasy instead of science-fiction.

1990, but Abraxas

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Firstborn posted:

High Plains Drifter, man

High Plains Drifter has problems but it's a more interesting movie than Joe Kidd.

I guess I appreciate it because the premise is basically, what if the villain from every other western movie rolled into town and the hero never shows up to stop him?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

High Plains Drifter has problems but it's a more interesting movie than Joe Kidd.

I guess I appreciate it because the premise is basically, what if the villain from every other western movie rolled into town and the hero never shows up to stop him?

It's a Pumpkinhead prequel.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FancyMike posted:

Holy loving poo poo that trailer. Sold.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Mars4523 posted:

This would be a great thing to happen just to show to Indonesian actresses that it is possible to break out of the local romantic comedy / garbage horror movie churn

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Mars4523 posted:

Watch it on Netflix and make it so !

https://twitter.com/Timobros/status/1053849020882333696

The Operator reminded me a lot of Rebecca Ferguson in M:I, a mysterious party of unclear but not hostile alignment and immense ability. That first scene in the parking lot was fantastic with its 80's vibe of a mysterious killer in the haze.

I especially liked the strobe light behind the motorcycle synced with the muzzle flashes for a dramatic silhouette. They just should have synced the last kill a little better, they probably had budget for only one take.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought it was a ghost movie.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

CeeJee posted:

Watch it on Netflix and make it so !

https://twitter.com/Timobros/status/1053849020882333696

The Operator reminded me a lot of Rebecca Ferguson in M:I, a mysterious party of unclear but not hostile alignment and immense ability. That first scene in the parking lot was fantastic with its 80's vibe of a mysterious killer in the haze.

I especially liked the strobe light behind the motorcycle synced with the muzzle flashes for a dramatic silhouette. They just should have synced the last kill a little better, they probably had budget for only one take.

She was maybe my favorite part of the movie, actually all the female characters were cooler than the male guys (except for Bobby, he owned). I'd love to see an "The Operator" focused sequel or whatever if this is really a trilogy. I think her fight 2v1 was really cool. The garrote string lady was really great as well, both for how horrific the wounds she inflicted on our first group of "good guys" and for how Uwais loving destroys her with that kick and then later for her amazing death scene.

I really love the camera work in these movies, they're so dynamic and they really sell the action.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Jerkface posted:

She was maybe my favorite part of the movie, actually all the female characters were cooler than the male guys (except for Bobby, he owned). I'd love to see an "The Operator" focused sequel or whatever if this is really a trilogy. I think her fight 2v1 was really cool. The garrote string lady was really great as well, both for how horrific the wounds she inflicted on our first group of "good guys" and for how Uwais loving destroys her with that kick and then later for her amazing death scene.

I really love the camera work in these movies, they're so dynamic and they really sell the action.

I thought the camera work in Headshot was pretty bad and nearly ruined the movie. The Night Comes For Us was a huge step forward

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's also very well set up by something Munny tells the kid earlier about how the one who draws fastest isn't always the one left the standing. The one who can stay cool and make each shot count usually wins, and that's exactly what happens.

It's even better than that, in the context of the full movie, because Munny doesn't tell the kid that - Little Bill tells Beauchamp that. But even so, that's just part of what is going on.

This got a little long, so TL;DR: the reality is just drunk murderers.

At the start of the movie, Little Bill is obviously the dominant figure in town, but then the tension comes from his concern that bad men will be coming for the bounty on the cowboys. The first one that we see arrive is English Bob, and he is a spectacle - until Little Bill kicks the poo poo out of him and steals his biographer. The interactions between Little Bill and Beauchamp are critical. We find that English Bob had filled Beauchamp with his faux posh/pulp stories, but they fall flat when they run up against the reality of Little Bill. This is the theme about violence born of real conflict in Unforgiven: People who live it don't mythologize it. The closer someone is to it, and the more it is a part of their nature, the less they fetishize and glorify it. This poo poo is only fun for people reading or writing (or watching) about it, not for the people truly living it.

We see it in the Kid's interactions with Munny and Ned, we see it between Beauchamp and everybody he talks to. Nobody mythologizes violence more than Beauchamp, and the character himself literally says, "I have never had a gun". We see it between Bob and Little Bill - Bob has been living the life of the gunfighter on parade, while Bill has actually been working as a lawman. Accordingly, Bill wins their confrontation. But then we also see that Little Bill is to some extent enamored of the legend of the Wild West, too. He's realer than Bob, as shown especially in their interaction in the jailhouse (although even there he's obviously putting on a show), but then he starts preaching to Beauchamp and it's about half grounded and half fart huffing nonsense. Fast doesn't matter as much as staying cool and being willing to pull the trigger turns out to be true, while poo poo like "When confronted with superior numbers, an experienced gunfighter will always fire on the best shot first" is something someone as naturally violent as Will Munny would never even think about.

The final conversation between Munny and Beauchamp really hammers home the point that Munny, whose violence is even realer than Little Bill's, doesn't think about it in the same way as the other characters. Beauchamp sees it as a chance to trade up again - of course the guy who shot Little Bill will have even better rules and advice on gunfighting than Little Bill. Except Munny doesn't have any advice, doesn't give a poo poo about how to gunfight, and doesn't want and wouldn't tolerate having some jackass trail him around and write him into dime store novels. His bemusement at Beauchamp's attempt to organize what just happened is really the pinnacle of the whole movie. He's just always pointed his gun and pulled the trigger, and at the end he was alive and the other guy wasn't. Not only does he not think about it the same way as Bob, Bill, or Beauchamp (or the Kid before he actually kills someone), Munny would rather not think about it at all. Look back to his conversations with Ned and the Kid, he doesn't talk about who to fire on first when outnumbered, he doesn't even remember how many people he shot in one case. He just got drunk and killed people, the end, and now he wishes he hadn't and wishes he wasn't going to again. The early Kid, Bob, Bill, and Beauchamp all relish the chance to perform (or observe) as a Wild West gunslinger, but Munny is the reality, the deconstructed truth of a drunken murderer.

Something that just occurs to me is that Little Bill denigrates Bob by telling the story of how Bob was actually a drunk that killed a helpless man instead of whatever yarn Beauchamp had heard, and then in the end a drunk Munny kills a helpless Little Bill. Bill looks down on Bob, and tries to build up some higher version of gunfighting to Beauchamp, but in the end, no, the reality is just drunk murderers. Ned and the Kid are utterly unable to handle it sober, and even Munny struggles with killing the cowboys sober to the point that he gets liquored up to kill Bill.

The Kid's arc obviously has the same theme, but it's deeper than just his character, it's the whole world and his arc is really just him wising up to how the world really works.

And I haven't even touched on Ned's arc or his place in the movie, or the prostitutes'. Guys, I think Unforgiven might be good, and the casting is absolutely loving perfect. If you put anyone else in Eastwood, Freeman, or Hackman's role, it just isn't the same. Rubinek and Harris are absolutely ideal as well. Whoever played the Kid was perfect for that role, even if I can't remember him ever being in anything else.

OneTruePecos fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 23, 2018

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Jerkface posted:

The idea of "psycho lesbian henchwomen" is a pretty tired one, but the final 2v1 fight was all kinds of badass (and I actually prefer it for how it lacks some of the "whoops you missed" silliness of the final fight between Ito and Arian). Also, the brief sequence of The Operator vs Elena in front of that backlit glass wall was just beautiful.

It's pretty hilarious how, apparently, Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhian are going around turning the Indonesian equivalents of Anna Kendrick or Natalie Portman into stone cold martial arts badasses on screen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

OneTruePecos posted:

It's even better than that, in the context of the full movie, because Munny doesn't tell the kid that - Little Bill tells Beauchamp that. But even so, that's just part of what is going on....

Great post!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Wow. Night comes for us is exhausting, endless brutal action. It's great. Final fight scene is certainly one of the longest and most brutal I've seen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wandle Cax posted:

Final fight scene is certainly one of the longest and most brutal I've seen.

Yea it's probably the best single fight in any Iko Uwais movie other than Rama and Andi vs. Mad Dog from The Raid. Better than anything from The Raid 2 or Headshot. Just two guys at the absolute top of their game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The way they both keep pushing on and on beyond their limits and in huge pain is impressive too

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Josey Wales doesn't hold a bison tallow lantern to Unforgiven. Why do you like it so much?
I think a large part of why I liked it so much was that I didn't really grow up on westerns. Probably the closest I came to them would be John Wayne's Alamo and, like, Demon Knight. But my good friend is really super into them. Westerns are his favorite. So he would come over, make ribs or chili, and show me some the ones that he thought were the best. And Josey Wales kind of impacted me as the quintessential western. Just seemed to check all the boxes. I liked it so much because it's an honest genre film, whereas Unforgiven is definitely a desconstruction. And, really, watching Josey Wales with my buddy was such a good experience, especially since he's since moved away, and I watched Unforgiven by myself.

OneTruePecos posted:

It's even better than that, in the context of the full movie, because Munny doesn't tell the kid that - Little Bill tells Beauchamp that. But even so, that's just part of what is going on.

This got a little long, so TL;DR: the reality is just drunk murderers.

This is a great post.

And I just finished Night Comes for Us. Good flick. It almost feels like a horror action movie, because the violence is so unrelenting and bloody and nightmarish. Anyone else get that feeling?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Josey Wales is a strange one. I think it's a good movie, but learning that it was based on a novel by a Klansman who published it while pretending to be Native American (I think) made me look at it more askance, and it's already starting off in an odd place where Josey himself is a southerner whose home is burned down and his family murdered by anti-slavery Jayhawkers, so he joins up with a Confederate militia.

It's like, did you ever see the Sam Peckinpah war movie Cross of Iron? It's similarly a very good movie which is makes for a strange viewing experience because the protagonist (played by James Coburn) is a Wehrmacht soldier whose antagonist is a Prussian aristocrat officer played by Maximilian Schell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I want to watch Kurt Russell's Soldier again. Dumb movie, but a good watch.