Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Is there detail on this?
Only the Hurriyet article linked a few posts up. Tough to say if there will be any more detail available since this happened in Riyadh.

It's also possible that Turkey planted the story but on balance it's probably true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem is they were all following orders. Killing people who kill on your orders because they followed orders is a bad look if you want people to kill on your orders again.

"So where are all the bodies from the plane crash?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk-VK4ZRmjs&t=197s

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The problem is they were all following orders. Killing people who kill on your orders because they followed orders is a bad look if you want people to kill on your orders again.

That's true, but the crown prince is still going to do anything he can to avoid personal responsibility at this point. If that means throwing useful people under a bus (literally or otherwise), so be it. That said, this particular story is extremely thinly sourced so far.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

In a situations where there is a massive power difference between those giving orders and those obeying them, such as between MbS and the 15 assassins or the POTUS and SEAL Team 6, it is less about the orders being followed due to willful obedience as opposed to fear.

In MbS's case he can always coerce more people to do his dirty work by threatening their families if they don't comply. In the POTUS's case a dishonorable discharge will severely limit future job prospects and bring extreme shame on the family.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

qkkl posted:

In a situations where there is a massive power difference between those giving orders and those obeying them, such as between MbS and the 15 assassins or the POTUS and SEAL Team 6, it is less about the orders being followed due to willful obedience as opposed to fear.

In MbS's case he can always coerce more people to do his dirty work by threatening their families if they don't comply. In the POTUS's case a dishonorable discharge will severely limit future job prospects and bring extreme shame on the family.

You're implying special forces aren't selected for their ability to rationalize war crimes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

qkkl posted:

coerced people result in results like this. you can only coast on that for so long

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Conspiratiorist posted:

You're implying special forces aren't selected for their ability to rationalize war crimes.

Finding people who can rationalize war crimes is easy because most people would kill in a "kill or be killed" situation. I have my doubts that a doctor who's taken the Hippocratic oath would voluntarily dismember someone who they just saw was murdered.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sen. Graham is now calling for MBS's replacement.

What are MBS's power base? I mean before him the Kingship in SA depended on some sort of consent/pay off structure towards other royals right? I'm trying to remember the stuff I read about his ascent, but I think it hinged alot on the troops in the Royal Guard while sidelining the Interior Ministry. I mean, Prince Bandar "bush's best friend" is still around

qkkl posted:

Finding people who can rationalize war crimes is easy because most people would kill in a "kill or be killed" situation. I have my doubts that a doctor who's taken the Hippocratic oath would voluntarily dismember someone who they just saw was murdered.

pretty sure this is not true and most people have to be trained to kill other people.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

This seems like a huge loving deal, but I wonder if the WH will try to downplay it. Their responses to past Taliban attacks have shown that they seem desperate to avoid getting more directly involved in Afghanistan.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 18, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The US is pulling out of the Saudi summit "davos in the desert", following other countries. Maybe they got the recording from the Turks.

e: link
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45904904

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mozi posted:

OK, what's your previous example of them killing a US resident in their embassy?

there is that time we decided to sign off on killing half of Yemen on grounds it might make them less pissy we signed a deal with Iran

real knee-slapper, that one

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Still looking for that example, thanks.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(

Buckhead posted:

Won't this end with some internal Saudi investigation that points the finger at some mid-level intelligence officer who set this up on his own with consulting the chain of command?

That scapegoat probably gets hanged or whatever the Saudi's preferred execution method is and then everyone can pretend the issue was properly resolved and move on.

We got our guy! Although 3 stars may be a little more than mid-level.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

When I said 'Will no one rid me of this meddlesome journalist' I didn't actually mean someone should rid me of this meddlesome journalist

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Step 1 to a very bad ending. This signals that a death spiral is about to occur next we may see some afghanis in wealthy positions exiting the country , and the government purging minority sects turning even more authoritarian rapidly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Step 1 to a very bad ending. This signals that a death spiral is about to occur next we may see some afghanis in wealthy positions exiting the country , and the government purging minority sects turning even more authoritarian rapidly.

High tier folks have been targetted for a while, and the constant threat of Taliban murder pretty much scared off most foreigners not on a base years ago.

This boat has been sinking for awhile.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Shageletic posted:

High tier folks have been targetted for a while, and the constant threat of Taliban murder pretty much scared off most foreigners not on a base years ago.

This boat has been sinking for awhile.

Definitely. But now were really at the end. Everyones got bodyguards now. So throughout the year we went from checkpoint disguise ambushes to government bodyguards are taliban so even the president isnt safe thats a very different world to live in

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Definitely. But now were really at the end. Everyones got bodyguards now. So throughout the year we went from checkpoint disguise ambushes to government bodyguards are taliban so even the president isnt safe thats a very different world to live in

A good friend of me who was out there for years came back a couple of years ago, the most optimistic and hard working person you could ever meet. And he's glad that he made it out alive. And he worked in an NGO.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Buckhead posted:

We got our guy! Although 3 stars may be a little more than mid-level.

Phew, glad there was a reasonable explanation for this mess. You always have those bad apples, but you can't blame him for being overzealous to please mbs.

v Every morning I'm surprised he hasn't died from not knowing how to breath he's so loving stupid

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 19, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/camanpour/status/1052980898604273669

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think people were wrong to weigh the pros and cons, because the status quo was really loving bad and our ability to force an ideal outcome basically didn't exist, but fawning over him (as Friedman is pretending he didn't) and American politicans giving him a blank check because of the supposed upside (which Friedman now says was bad) genuinely did make it more likely that MBS would overreach, because he thought he had the stupid Americans right in his pocket.

I mean anyone who thought he was going to be a reformer leading to a more free society in Saudi Arabia beyond some Western friendly optics was a loving joke, and Friedman still seems to believe in the kind of soft power that was supposed to make China democratic after we started trading with them, but cutting back on exporting terrorism is still a big pro even without domestic reform--it just doesn't work when MBS decides murdering an American journalist is also totally fine.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well! Turns out Saudi Arabia has always been a friend of the YPG!

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2018/10/pompeo-meets-erdogan-cavusoglu-khashoggi-murder.html

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Ah, so Turkey hates the KSA for one of the vanishingly rare not awful things they did with their money.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Sinteres posted:

That's true, but the crown prince is still going to do anything he can to avoid personal responsibility at this point. If that means throwing useful people under a bus (literally or otherwise), so be it. That said, this particular story is extremely thinly sourced so far.

It seems like a really bad idea to throw high ranking generals under the bus for following direct orders (likely). I'm sure that will turn out well for MBS though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My cynical guess is that it won't be a general, those guys are generally half royalty or there because of patronage networks in the first place. I'm thinking they'll throw say... a colonel under the bus. One who worked his way up from being a commoner.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The King will throw himself under the bus to let MbS take the throne.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

My cynical guess is that it won't be a general, those guys are generally half royalty or there because of patronage networks in the first place. I'm thinking they'll throw say... a colonel under the bus. One who worked his way up from being a commoner.

Even so, it doesn't seem like a good long term move to do that to people following orders (again, presumably)

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Spergin Morlock posted:

Even so, it doesn't seem like a good long term move to do that to people following orders (again, presumably)

I mean, they should be punish for butchering the job and let Turkey recorded the whole thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Borzou is always great but he's really been on point through this whole process. The latest from him introduces the possibility of Turkish police finding the body.

https://mobile.twitter.com/borzou/status/1052923709474914304

He's also got an article out now that will either give you some background or tie up some loose ends depending on how closely you've followed the story. A lot has been made of Khashoggi being a journalist who was critical of MbS, but he's not exactly an activist. He advocated for reform, not for revolution, he comes from an affluent family in Saudi Arabia, and he was in the government himself for a time. Borzou makes the case that this wasn't a matter of silencing a message. It was more rooted in internal rivalries in the kingdom. Khashoggi was not in MbS' corner in the current power struggle, and he found himself vulnerable. Not a good combo.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t.co/9IsHHoJXGP

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

tino posted:

I mean, they should be punish for butchering the job and let Turkey recorded the whole thing.

I wouldn't be sad if all 15 identified individuals got theirs, tbh.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well MBS had Khashoggi re-formed quite a bit, soo

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah the Yemen war is a "downside", thank you Tom, hope you get a "minor disease" like Ebola or the Marburg virus. :wtc:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Leprosy, to match his morals.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah the Yemen war is a "downside", thank you Tom, hope you get a "minor disease" like Ebola or the Marburg virus. :wtc:

Yeah, there is a bizarre double standard where something like the Yemen War is so downplayed compared to other regional conflicts. There is some type of f'ed up Beltway logic that allowing women in movie theatres can some wiped out the sins of starving millions of Yemeni. It is predictable that Friedman would say this but you also see in the US media at large.

(Also, it is quite turn around on MbS considering the poo poo he has been pulling for years and the media has largely condoned.)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
"There are upsides and there are downsides and I just hoped the upsides were more than the downsides and sometimes you try to make the downsides smaller and the upsides larger, and I argued we'd get more upsides than downsides but the downsides and the upsides are are two sides of the same issue and these sides--"

-A Serious Writer

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, there is a bizarre double standard where something like the Yemen War is so downplayed compared to other regional conflicts. There is some type of f'ed up Beltway logic that allowing women in movie theatres can some wiped out the sins of starving millions of Yemeni. It is predictable that Friedman would say this but you also see in the US media at large.

(Also, it is quite turn around on MbS considering the poo poo he has been pulling for years and the media has largely condoned.)

Bipartisan support from Obama and Trump means it's hard to write a domestic political story blaming someone, which means US media have no interest in covering it. Of course the fact that it's our putative allies doing the war crimes also gives them incentives to ignore it--just look at how Turkey's various campaigns of ethnic cleansing against Kurdish people have been swept under the rug for decades.

This is also true for why nobody in particular is getting blamed for losing Afghanistan. It's just going to be a can that gets kicked down the road until nobody remembers there was a war we lost anymore.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 19, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sinteres posted:

This is also true for why nobody in particular is getting blamed for losing Afghanistan. It's just going to be a can that gets kicked down the road until nobody remembers there was a war we lost anymore.
I am pretty sure the current plan is paying Erik Prince a few billions every year until he lose control of the country and then blame the afghan people for letting the Talibans massacre their population.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’d somehow missed this video.

https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/1053007171481362432?s=21

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Just pathetic...

Thread:
https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1053408289504063488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Best part is the King put MBS in charge of investigating the murder. The one that he ordered.