Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

canepazzo posted:

Coupling, the "Giggle loop" episode?

Two more requests from me:

One is a 80-90s horror movie, of which I remember vaguely that people are in a coma in a hospital and trapped in a sort of hell dimension or whatever where they are "killed" for good one by one; at the end, the main character wakes up and runs up to love interest whose death is just being called by the doctor and machines disconnected; he threatens/insists they turn on the machines again/they perform CPR on her, and she also wakes up.

Crime movie, also 80s/90s; sort of a modern Bonnie and Clyde remake but the protagonists are in their early twenties. I remember the father of "Bonnie" is also the sheriff that is chasing them through their killing spree, thinking his daughter is being plagiarized by "Clyde".

I’m not sure you understand what plagiarise means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

moller posted:

Heathers comes to mind but this could be any number of things.

more specifically someone crying into someone's shoulder or covering their face and someone comforting them under that assumption

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

therattle posted:

I’m not sure you understand what plagiarise means.

My bad, in italian "plagio" can mean both the academical "wrongful appropriation" but also psychological abuse where one person dominates another's will. I guess "brainwashing" fits better?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

canepazzo posted:

Coupling, the "Giggle loop" episode?

Two more requests from me:

One is a 80-90s horror movie, of which I remember vaguely that people are in a coma in a hospital and trapped in a sort of hell dimension or whatever where they are "killed" for good one by one; at the end, the main character wakes up and runs up to love interest whose death is just being called by the doctor and machines disconnected; he threatens/insists they turn on the machines again/they perform CPR on her, and she also wakes up.

Crime movie, also 80s/90s; sort of a modern Bonnie and Clyde remake but the protagonists are in their early twenties. I remember the father of "Bonnie" is also the sheriff that is chasing them through their killing spree, thinking his daughter is being plagiarized by "Clyde".

First one sounds like "Soultaker"

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Davros1 posted:

First one sounds like "Soultaker"

Yep! Thanks a lot!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

canepazzo posted:

Natural Born Killers?
Not sure, long time since I saw it, but the father of Julette Lewis is in it, not sure if hes a cop

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Natural Born Killers?
Not sure, long time since I saw it, but the father of Julette Lewis is in it, not sure if hes a cop

Good guess but way lower profile than that; could even have been a direct to video. I remember they get gunned down at the end, rather than getting away with it like NBK.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The dad only appears in flashbacks in Natural Born Killers anyway.

There are a few incongruities here, but could it be One False Move? In that one the sheriff's secretly the father of "Bonnie"'s kid and not her father and Billy Bob Thornton's Clyde-type isn't in his early 20s, but the other pieces fit pretty well.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Edit: ^^^ Watch One False Move anyway. Michael Beach is so good in this, as is everyone else.

canepazzo posted:

This one is Teenage Bonnie and Klepto Clyde. Everything syncs up - she's the bad influence not him, dad is a cop, young characters

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

This one is Teenage Bonnie and Klepto Clyde. Everything syncs up - she's the bad influence not him, dad is a cop, young characters

That was it, awesome, thanks!

Trying again with my previous:

canepazzo posted:

Help me remember this movie:

It's the classic concept of "people stuck in a room find out they're actually in the afterlife"; I think it was from the 80s or 90s, it's set during one of the world wars, and for some reason they get to choose one of them to get back to life, while everyone else moves on; I remember one of the characters being a civilian, another the stereotypical snobby/rear end in a top hat english officer. It might have been an episode of a serial but I think it was a full movie.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

open ended, but were there movies/tv shows where a character is trying to stifle a laughter at an inappropriate place (funeral) and someone thinks they are crying?

The Mary Tyler Moore Show had one of those moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJny78bpsgo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

canepazzo posted:

That was it, awesome, thanks!

Trying again with my previous:

Defending Your Life?

Made in Heaven?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zogo posted:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show had one of those moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJny78bpsgo

Just fyi, this is the best episode of the show and everyone needs to see it in full.

CountryFriedSnake
Feb 25, 2006

CountryFriedSnake posted:

Okay, I'm at a loss and all I've got is a scene where the MC (I think he's the MC) is driving cab and there's white guy (office type) in the back jacked up on coke and spittin' rhymes (trying to). The driver gets pissed, stops the cab and pulls his fare out and leaves.
Yeah, not much to go on. Thanks.

Torquemada posted:

This sounds Spike Lee-ish.

I don't think so. The more I think about it the cabbie was white and I think the above was a part of a montage of fares. The white collar rapper reminds me of Michael Rapaport but I checked his IMDB and nothing clicked unless I'm not remembering Kicked In The Head very well. The movie was probably 90s or very early 2000s.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Defending Your Life?

Made in Heaven?

Good guesses but neither are WW2 based.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

open ended, but were there movies/tv shows where a character is trying to stifle a laughter at an inappropriate place (funeral) and someone thinks they are crying?

One of the later super sucky Pink Panther movies managed to cobble up an amusing scene where Dreyfus is eulogizing Clouseau, ecstatic that he is dead, his psychotic giggles of glee coming off as sobs of sorrow.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Also, Ruthless People.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I seem to recall a scene that I think came from a somewhat recent movie (like, 2000+), where a woman is on a subway train alone, where she is confronted by some creepy dude, who suddenly turns into a mannequin. There may have also been other people on the train who suddenly turned into mannequins. I thought it was End of Days with the albino homeless guy, but that's not quite what happens there.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Detective Thompson posted:

I seem to recall a scene that I think came from a somewhat recent movie (like, 2000+), where a woman is on a subway train alone, where she is confronted by some creepy dude, who suddenly turns into a mannequin. There may have also been other people on the train who suddenly turned into mannequins. I thought it was End of Days with the albino homeless guy, but that's not quite what happens there.

Stigmata. I think?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Searching for a horror movie from the late 80s or more likely, the early 90s.

I believe it was made for TV, possibly "based on a true story/based on true events". I think it had a generic name like The Haunting or The Haunted.

I think the final scene was the woman walking into her new home, hearing the ghost's signature tapping or whispers. She looks resigned and defeated. Then text appears saying that she continued to be plagued by the spirit.

Anyway, the scene that SCARED THE EVER LIVING poo poo OUT OF ME AS A CHILD...

The husband is in the living room watching TV. The wife in her nightgown slowly starts coming down the stairs, you could immediately tell that something about her is Not Right. I can't remember if her face is already horrible or if it transforms that way as she gets close to the husband. But she has a giant opened-mouth, wide-eyed grin and she is staring at the husband the whole time. She throws him on the floor and mounts him in a sort of missionary position. Her hands are around his throat or maybe she has him grabbed by the shoulders, but she starts slamming him into the floor, possibly while shrieking laughter.

Holy hell did that scene mess me up as a child, I'd love to revisit it on YouTube or whatever.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Well, disregard my previous post. I found the movie! I've searched for it a few times before but this time I was able to verify as the whole movie is on YouTube.

The Haunted, 1991.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BaF-YgmBNk

Funny how the mind misremembers. The scene I described plays out differently than I said, guess that's what 26 years does. Yet it's still pretty drat creepy. The scene begins at 46:17. That unsettling camera pan, ugh, and her face and expressions are just awful.

Funnily enough, the victim is played by Frank Darabont favorite Jeffrey DeMunn.

The ending scene remains eerie as hell. I'm so glad I found this.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Trying to identify a martial arts movie based entirely on my scattered memories of one fight scene I saw on youtube years ago. What I can remember:

• High enough visual fidelity to be from the 00s or 10s.
  • Kung fu fight in some kind of temple and attached garden.
  • The bad guy in the fight is a huge guy in some kind of military uniform.
  • At one point, the good guy tries to punch the bad guy in the face, but the bad guy just punches the good guy's fist with his face instead.
  • At one point, the bad guy throws a kick so hard that it deadass breaks a tree in half in the garden.
  • The climax of the fight involves the hero using a belt as a whip.

Anything?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ProfessorProf posted:

Trying to identify a martial arts movie based entirely on my scattered memories of one fight scene I saw on youtube years ago. What I can remember:

• High enough visual fidelity to be from the 00s or 10s.
  • Kung fu fight in some kind of temple and attached garden.
  • The bad guy in the fight is a huge guy in some kind of military uniform.
  • At one point, the good guy tries to punch the bad guy in the face, but the bad guy just punches the good guy's fist with his face instead.
  • At one point, the bad guy throws a kick so hard that it deadass breaks a tree in half in the garden.
  • The climax of the fight involves the hero using a belt as a whip.

Anything?
This sounds like Fist of Legend, I think. I'll look up the scene on youtube when I'm at my pc.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

ProperCoochie posted:

Well, disregard my previous post. I found the movie! I've searched for it a few times before but this time I was able to verify as the whole movie is on YouTube.

The Haunted, 1991.

Funny how the mind misremembers. The scene I described plays out differently than I said, guess that's what 26 years does. Yet it's still pretty drat creepy. The scene begins at 46:17. That unsettling camera pan, ugh, and her face and expressions are just awful.

Wow, that's pretty messed up for broadcast TV. (Pretty messed up regardless.)

As a kid, when I saw the Twilight Zone movie, the "Wanna See Something Really Scary" scene really screwed me up. I still have a distinct memory of the big reveal being a completely loving nightmarish monster, but when I saw the scene again years later, it's just a bunch of dorky makeup and a set of fake teeth.

Edit: Actually, ok, this is pretty hosed up for a kid to see (48 sec) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETC6NSxpFFE&t=48s

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pilchenstein posted:

This sounds like Fist of Legend, I think. I'll look up the scene on youtube when I'm at my pc.
Yeah, it's Fist of Legend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JICb2D7CI
Edit: I didn't really need to check but any excuse to watch this again, it's pretty great :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 23, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, it's Fist of Legend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JICb2D7CI
Edit: I didn't really need to check but any excuse to watch this again, it's pretty great :v:

This was it! Thanks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Father is a Hero/The Enforcer is better, because Li uses a small child attached to a rope as a weapon at one point.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The Macaroni posted:

As a kid, when I saw the Twilight Zone movie, the "Wanna See Something Really Scary" scene really screwed me up. I still have a distinct memory of the big reveal being a completely loving nightmarish monster, but when I saw the scene again years later, it's just a bunch of dorky makeup and a set of fake teeth.

Edit: Actually, ok, this is pretty hosed up for a kid to see (48 sec) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETC6NSxpFFE&t=48s

Hahah, those lion/cheetah sound fx are stock as hell.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ProperCoochie posted:

The Haunted, 1991.

Nice! This film actually came up in this thread a few years ago, because I was looking for a similar film that ended with a woman vacuuming, and someone calling her name, but there's also some sort of sinister whispering happening near her, and I think she slowly turns around and then the film cuts to black.

Edit: holy gently caress, I posted this ten goddamned years ago :corsair: :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Crappy made-for-tv ghost movie (man, there were a TON of those between 93-96, weren't there?)

I missed the whole drat thing, but the last scene has a woman vaccuuming, and she hears the sound of many whispers behind her. She shuts the vaccuum off, and turns around... and it ends.

Another one had a scene where two people were in bed, and they woke up to see a silhouette of a man being displayed on their open door, from the light of the moon. Husband went out there after the silhouette moved, and there was no one there. I think the house was on top of some sort of old burial ground.

Any takers on the second one? It was during some sort of early 90s haunted house made for tv movie zeitgeist. Seriously, there were tons of them, same with those 'based on real events' disaster tv movies, I think thanks to Baby Jessica.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 24, 2018

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: holy gently caress, I posted this ten goddamned years ago :corsair: :stare:
drat. This is an old thread and I'm old and you're old.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Hey, I'm looking for a movie for a friend of mine. The only thing he remembers from it is there's a scene where a band is backstage hanging around and then a cowboy with glowing eyes shows up and gives them a briefcase. He thinks the briefcase has drugs in it. Also, the movie is from the 80s.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Looking for a movie from the late 80s/early 90s. It's about a pro wrestler who got out of jail, and is just trying to do right by his family, but his criminal ties want him to throw his big comeback match.

What I distinctly remember was the wrestler was bald and had a mustache, and his son had an action figure of him, and the film just used the old LJN figure of the Iron Sheik to represent him.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a movie for a friend of mine. The only thing he remembers from it is there's a scene where a band is backstage hanging around and then a cowboy with glowing eyes shows up and gives them a briefcase. He thinks the briefcase has drugs in it. Also, the movie is from the 80s.

That is Electric Larry, the drug dealer from Get Crazy (1983), the only New Year's Eve movie you'll ever need.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Oh my gosh, thanks so much!

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

The Macaroni posted:

Your post made me think back to when I was a kid and we watched a lot of National Film Board of Canada movies at school, some of them really dark. Maybe someone can help me track down these films if I describe them?

- a buttercup falls into a stream and goes through a series of locales and ends up getting destroyed by pollution when it floats into a city
- a class of kids on Venus is excited because the rain that is always falling is supposed to stop for one day; a kid in the class is locked in a closet by bullies so that she will miss this event
- a boy is told that his old sick dog will not be euthanized but when he goes to school his grandfather (I think) ties a rock around the dogs neck and throws him out of a canoe but the boy swims out and saves the dog

drat, typing that out, these are some really dark films

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

jet sanchEz posted:

Your post made me think back to when I was a kid and we watched a lot of National Film Board of Canada movies at school, some of them really dark. Maybe someone can help me track down these films if I describe them?

- a buttercup falls into a stream and goes through a series of locales and ends up getting destroyed by pollution when it floats into a city
- a class of kids on Venus is excited because the rain that is always falling is supposed to stop for one day; a kid in the class is locked in a closet by bullies so that she will miss this event
- a boy is told that his old sick dog will not be euthanized but when he goes to school his grandfather (I think) ties a rock around the dogs neck and throws him out of a canoe but the boy swims out and saves the dog

drat, typing that out, these are some really dark films

The second is an adaptation of All Summer in a Day. This one, I would think. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195517/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_44

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

The second is an adaptation of All Summer in a Day. This one, I would think. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195517/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_44

That one has popped up in this thread numerous times, so one must ask: Was everyone shown that short film in school? Because that's where I saw it.

Other short films I remember seeing in school:

Paddle-to-the-Sea
The Electric Grandmother
The Red Balloon

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
A short from the 60s or 70s. In color, probably from Europe. A group of people are in a train car, each time it goes through a tunnel one of them disappears. There is a hunter who cries. One character looks in the bathroom, but no trace of those who disappear. Eventually it's just him and one other passenger left, who begins laughing when the train car is approaching another tunnel.

I want to say that the train car is empty when it comes out. It's supposed to be a metaphor for life and death.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Origami Dali posted:

Hahah, those lion/cheetah sound fx are stock as hell.

The end of movie bookend is great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlVjdyfJIWs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Davros1 posted:

That one has popped up in this thread numerous times, so one must ask: Was everyone shown that short film in school? Because that's where I saw it.

Other short films I remember seeing in school:

Paddle-to-the-Sea
The Electric Grandmother
The Red Balloon
Yesss I remember all these. Also, is that the "All Summer In a Day" adaptation where they put a semi-Hollywood ending on it by having the jerk kids give a bunch of flowers to the poor Earth girl after they let her out of the locked closet?